Will track and trace make cruising more difficult?

pete14

There are reports this morning that the new Covid track and trace app, currently being trialled on the Isle of Wight, may be a further obstacle to overseas travel. Being a system developed in UK with information being collected centrally and then disseminated to anybody that has come into contact with somebody showing Covid symptoms (if they have declared them), it is incompatible with systems in other countries using or planning to use the much more widely used de-centralised app developed by Google and Apple. As a result, it is possible that countries using the Google / Apple app may deny entry to UK people with our app (or insist on quarantine) because it doesn’t work in their country. If so, any early return to cruising may be further delayed. 

The app is totally voluntary, and there are so many loopholes in it's usage [for example, you may connect to someone in the flat above you] that it seems worse than useless.

I certainly won't be using it. 

29 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Dont do Apps and dont have a smartphone and have never used a phone to go on internet so it will not be a problem for me.

Wont be a problem for you maybe until port authorities insist you have it (their Apple/Google one) as a condition of being allowed ashore as an alternative to quarantine. This isn’t happening yet of course but it may only be a matter of time.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Wont be a problem for you maybe until port authorities insist you have it (their Apple/Google one) as a condition of being allowed ashore as an alternative to quarantine. This isn’t happening yet of course but it may only be a matter of time.

I am sure I will not be the only one know a lot of people young and old who havent even got a mobile phone.

59 minutes ago, TinyDavid said:

Happy to install and use any app that may help save lives 

Agree with that, but the app will not save lives, as it's connectivity is too random. 

• Like 1

You have to add to the equation that the app in the Isle of Wight is the English app.  There is every chance that it wouldn't be the app used elsewhere.  There are already problems with its security.

Then you have an issue.   Lets say that someone who you were in contact with is declares themselves positive.  They will contact you on the app and you will be expected to quarantine for 14 days.  However, you are on day 3 of your 14 day cruise.  What do you do?

Its not a they have been proven to be positive its only they think they may have symptoms and therefore are declaring it themselves.

Edited by Dinglebert

16 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am sure I will not be the only one know a lot of people young and old who havent even got a mobile phone.

Really? I don't know anybody over the age of 4 who hasn't got one and I did feel connectivity issues were a thing of the past... 

The older generation are all over Zoom at the minute, Grandad George is 97 and keeps popping up in my lounge... 

Must just be lucky down here... 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Really? I don't know anybody over the age of 4 who hasn't got one and I did feel connectivity issues were a thing of the past... 

The older generation are all over Zoom at the minute, Grandad George is 97 and keeps popping up in my lounge... 

Andy 

I meant connectivity in the sense that the app connects with too many people to be of use.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It's not a case of not having a phone , I do have one and I bought it a few years ago.

It's a windows phone Lumia 530 and it does everything I want from a phone ,like calls ,texts and internet (basic)

which does for wifi should I need it.

I have never wanted it for e-mails  ,so it does everything what I need it to do.

Windows stopped doing Apps for this phone and updates ages ago and I will not be rushing out for a new phone

anytime soon. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Zoom another app with major security issues, which they are trying to fix, the U.K. government have been using it for their meetings. Sticking with Skype and Teams seems to be secure, I will see later this month as a course I have signed up for uses Teams. 

15 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They've already said that the app can work in conjunction with apps being put into use in other European countries. 

But how will it work on a ship, when everybody turns off their roaming and data due to the rip off costs ? I will have the app tomorrow. If it means We can go to IOW. We go a few times a year and it's a great place. A bit like stepping back in time, but that's good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

But how will it work on a ship, when everybody turns off their roaming and data due to the rip off costs ? I will have the app tomorrow. If it means We can go to IOW. We go a few times a year and it's a great place. A bit like stepping back in time, but that's good.

No idea re the app working on ships. Just remember them saying yesterday that it could work in other countries. I don't think there's an easy answer re cruises and travelling in general. 

24 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We love the Isle of Wight too and are also missing our holidays there, which we hope to resume in October. Thankfully it’s a private holiday cottage so might be an option. Knowing the Island and Islanders as well as I do, I have to say that I find it an odd choice for this trial. There is an inherent scepticism of anything new there and an elderly population, many of whom won’t be tech savvy, so I’m not sure how representative it will be, but I guess if it works there it should work anywhere (probably answered my own question 😂)

Edited by Selbourne

47 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

They've already said that the app can work in conjunction with apps being put into use in other European countries. 

Not sure how it will work, as most European countries are using a decentralised system, whilst the U.K. is a minority of using a centralised system.

There appears to be an issue with phones using newer version of iOS and Android, so app may not work on those phones.

An explanation of the app in non to technical terms can be found here.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/05/uk_coronavirus_app/

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

Yes we both have phones PAYG never had a contract and know a lot, especially older, who either dont have mobiles at all or have them equally on PAYG just for emergencies. MIL hasnt even got broadband service and wouldnt know how to turn a computer on lol.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We love the Isle of Wight too and are also missing our holidays there, which we hope to resume in October. Thankfully it’s a private holiday cottage so might be an option. Knowing the Island and Islanders as well as I do, I have to say that I find it an odd choice for this trial. There is an inherent scepticism of anything new there and an elderly population, many of whom won’t be tech savvy, so I’m not sure how representative it will be, but I guess if it works there it should work anywhere (probably answered my own question 😂)

We were taking to some ageing hippies ( that's how DW refers to me )in a coffee shop in Ryde and mentioned the mainland, oh you mean North Island. Wonderful place

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

It's not a case of not having a phone , I do have one and I bought it a few years ago.

It's a windows phone Lumia 530 and it does everything I want from a phone ,like calls ,texts and internet (basic)

which does for wifi should I need it.

I have never wanted it for e-mails  ,so it does everything what I need it to do.

Windows stopped doing Apps for this phone and updates ages ago and I will not be rushing out for a new phone

anytime soon. 

Smartphones are not phones, they are a mini computer with a phone included

Cathy 

3 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I have to admit that the only reason we have a mobile phone is because it's cheaper than a BT landline. We use it as the house phone.

Avril 

Some will remember when you had a phone with a wire that went into the wall.

14 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some will remember when you had a phone with a wire that went into the wall.

That'd be me😉. I can also remember having telephone numbers with less than 5 digits that were easy to remember too.

Avril 

• Like 1