Celebrity Beyond: Delivery postponed by several months

monsterl

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 11:25 AM, barbette165 said:

My sense of humour is so perverse / twisted that I've been waiting for the thread where someone asks "I'll have the premium beverage package, if I get a drink that contains Covid-19 do I have to pay $4 plus the gratuity?"

That's above my head - I'm not even sure what that means.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:03 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep.  That's a fact.  Those are the facts that I used to develop my opinion.  I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy yourself.  Unfortunately, many people didn't enjoy their experiences on the Edge. 

We loved it.  If the price is right E class would be our first choice but we have access to the retreat.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sascol said:

Such a silly name for a cruise ship.

Here is my naming for E class.

Beyond Blond

It has to do with the feeling that whomever designed the ships never cruised on a ship before.  It is a pretty ship but disfunctional in many ways.  Edge and Apex are more like floating hotels than cruise ships.

I do credit the Edge for helping me realize that I do like the smaller ships and the ships that have great views!

Edited by NMTraveller

22 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

It has to do with the feeling that whomever designed the ships never cruised on a ship before.  It is a pretty ship but disfunctional in many ways.  Edge and Apex are more like floating hotels than cruise ships.

They succeeded in their design attempts because that's PRECISELY what they were going for. The idea was to capture a new market segment, the segment that has never cruised before because they don't like the perceived notion of what a traditional cruise experience is.  That's the same concept that Virgin Voyages is doing. 

Celebrity may have already sunk a lot of money into Beyond that they cannot recover so they may have to move forward, but are just pushing it out as long as they can contractually to manage finances (shipyard schedules I'm sure have all been pushed out as well so it was going to move out no matter what). I don't see the remaining two ships that were scheduled after that happening in 2022 and 2024 as originally planned. I'd see those moving out at least 3-5 years. Remember that on top of Beyond they have the renovations of Constellation, Infinity, Eclipse, Solstice and Reflection that they still have to do. They will be struggling to fill all of those ships let alone taking on any new additions to the fleet.

After reading that RCL investor announcement yesterday, I believe renovations may change.  They were planning to add more cabins; however, looks like future cruising may see governments, ports, etc., mandating fewer pax.  Passenger stacking and packing will probably diminish.  That'd also impact future builds.  Cruise lines have a whole lot on their plates in addition to canceled cruises.  Tough business to be in (actually, anything travel related).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Argo. said:

We loved it.  If the price is right E class would be our first choice but we have access to the retreat.

That's really my point.  The E-class was designed to serve the few suite passengers and not the majority of passengers.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Celebrity may have already sunk a lot of money into Beyond that they cannot recover so they may have to move forward, but are just pushing it out as long as they can contractually to manage finances (shipyard schedules I'm sure have all been pushed out as well so it was going to move out no matter what). I don't see the remaining two ships that were scheduled after that happening in 2022 and 2024 as originally planned. I'd see those moving out at least 3-5 years. Remember that on top of Beyond they have the renovations of Constellation, Infinity, Eclipse, Solstice and Reflection that they still have to do. They will be struggling to fill all of those ships let alone taking on any new additions to the fleet.

Yes agree.  Classic Sunk Cost case here.

I hope it stays a Celebrity ship, and I hope we get to sail on her in late 2022 or 2023. The only downer is we hate the Miami/Port Everglades area. Hotels the last 3 years have gotten crazy compared to other ports we have sailed out of. Maybe they can go out of Port Canaveral for a change of pace. Cocoa Beach is a great place to stay.

Edited by cgolf1

• 1 month later...
On 5/5/2020 at 5:31 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

That's ok with me, I'm not a fan of the E-class chips.  They can keep it in the ship yard as long as they want.  The E-class is great if you're in a suite but lots of negatives for the rest of the passengers.

Do you have this text somewhere that you can copy and paste it in every E class thread? We get it you don't like them, not for you. I don't even remember if you sailed on the Edge or not?

For us sailing from an inside room the Edge was a wonderful ship and we had a blast. It may not fit your needs but it fit ours very well. Still waiting for the day they build a perfect ship for us(!), but I guarantee most would probably hate it lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/5/2020 at 3:31 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

That's ok with me, I'm not a fan of the E-class chips.  They can keep it in the ship yard as long as they want.  The E-class is great if you're in a suite but lots of negatives for the rest of the passengers.

I did not enjoy the Suite Life on the Edge. Luminae was to large, all the way forward. Cant order off the MDR menu. No lunch menu for children. Lack of shade at the Retreat pool deck. Retreat lounge does not have a walk up to bar.

1 hour ago, cgolf1 said:

Do you have this text somewhere that you can copy and paste it in every E class thread? We get it you don't like them, not for you. I don't even remember if you sailed on the Edge or not?

For us sailing from an inside room the Edge was a wonderful ship and we had a blast. It may not fit your needs but it fit ours very well. Still waiting for the day they build a perfect ship for us(!), but I guarantee most would probably hate it lol.

No I don't but please feel free to go ahead and post it for me.  I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

16 minutes ago, bigbenboys said:

I did not enjoy the Suite Life on the Edge. Luminae was to large, all the way forward. Cant order off the MDR menu. No lunch menu for children. Lack of shade at the Retreat pool deck. Retreat lounge does not have a walk up to bar.

Sorry to hear that the Suite Life didn't your expectations but it still sounds a lot better than the Non-Suite Life

• Like 1

We sail in whatever cabin I can afford, never a suite.  We were very much anticipating our Edge cruise in an IV.  Unfortunately, it was cancelled at the last minute in March.  Will try again when things are up and running again.  EM

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:03 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Yep.  That's a fact.  Those are the facts that I used to develop my opinion.  I'm glad that you found a way to enjoy yourself.  Unfortunately, many people didn't enjoy their experiences on the Edge. 

And many others did,,,

Your experience was not our exprience,  We loved EDGE..one week in AQ Class in an Infinite Veranda was too short!  We appreciated most aspects of the Veranda sunroom and had no complaints, AQUA class Included  dinig in BLU,  and Acces to Thermal suite which  Included heated loungers and  the Relaxation room. Add on spa services were outstanding, (gym was okay but did not blow us away,,,)

We also did  the 9 /10 days to ABC Islands in a Sunset Veranda...with the 4 mdr plan, Stateroom is oversized with a huge outdoor aft balcony.  Food and service were excellent.  Loved the Solarium!

The shows,  music and art collection were amazing...yes, there  a few negs ( did not like the teminal ) but overall a very pleasant updated cruise experience!

We will be excited to try APEX in 2021.. but.not sure if we will go BEYOND, as we want to try Viking after APEX...looks like a good fit for our taste and cruise reqirements.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 11:42 AM, mac_tlc said:

I was thinking the same. 

We loved our IV sailing on Edge last year. Just because someone says it’s a fact doesn’t make it so. It makes it their opinion, that’s all. 

mac_tlc 

A40CD6ED-4E11-40B8-AF47-4AA285FB785A.jpeg

C48AA5DF-F36C-431A-8F8F-CC2953E9DBFF.jpeg

7965ACF4-9119-4CF5-A816-EAB6EE2BE878.jpeg

Love these pics...can never get enough EDGE!

27 minutes ago, hcat said:

Your experience was not our exprience,  We loved EDGE..

I'm happy for you.  It continues to amaze me that there some people take it personally that I and many others do not like the Edge class ships.  

Edited by ipeeinthepool

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm happy for you.  It continues to amaze me that there some people take it personally that I and many others do not like the Edge class ships.  

We don't take it personally, it is just that every E class thread you have to remind everyone of your opinion;) I think the E class bothers you more than you bother us. I haven't been around much of late since there hasn't been much actual cruising talk. Missing the shorts in the mdr and chair hog threads, never thought I would type that lol.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cgolf1 said:

We don't take it personally, it is just that every E class thread you have to remind everyone of your opinion;) I think the E class bothers you more than you bother us. I haven't been around much of late since there hasn't been much actual cruising talk. Missing the shorts in the mdr and chair hog threads, never thought I would type that lol.

So tell me why that is different from people who like the E-class expressing their opinion in every E-class thread?  Why do people only complain about people that don't like the E-class?  Perhaps we need all viewpoints to provide a balanced view for potential new cruisers.

17 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

So tell me why that is different from people who like the E-class expressing their opinion in every E-class thread?  Why do people only complain about people that don't like the E-class?  Perhaps we need all viewpoints to provide a balanced view for potential new cruisers.

Sure, but the history on the Edge is kind of insane. The hatred pretty much started before they started to build it. After that it hasn't ended. Many think they should either be sold off or scrapped. I understand why people don't like it having sailed it, it's like some just can't believe that there are people that actually like it.I think the vocal haters outnumber the vocal cheerleaders by a lot on the boards. Who knows the Edge could be boring now, they were playing beetles music last I heard which was a serious downgrade from what we heard. They also changed up the shows too which we really enjoyed.

I think the E class is definitely a departure for Celebrity, but for us and others coming from other lines it was a nice introduction to Celebrity. Who knows if the Constellation is still around in 2022, I may have some dislike for that ship, which I know many like;) I highly doubt I will, but time will tell.

Edited by cgolf1
  • Like 3

On 5/7/2020 at 1:45 PM, cgolf1 said:

I hope it stays a Celebrity ship, and I hope we get to sail on her in late 2022 or 2023. The only downer is we hate the Miami/Port Everglades area. Hotels the last 3 years have gotten crazy compared to other ports we have sailed out of. Maybe they can go out of Port Canaveral for a change of pace. Cocoa Beach is a great place to stay.

Oh, my gosh.... you don't know how many times we say the same thing!  We may switch over to Royal when we retire for that very reason, even though we much prefer Celebrity.  Not crazy about switching to those huge Royal ships with soooo many people and the downgraded dining experience, but we're not sure we're going to want to deal with the hotel prices and the crazy traffic down in the Miami/Port Everglades area as we get older.  Fingers crossed that X someday brings a ship to Port Canaveral!