Social distancing on a cruise ship

In Antarctica, right as we stepped out of the ship into the zodiacs, and right as we stepped back into the ship, we actually stepped into a solution to kill any foreign matter.  So perhaps some similar type system would have to be implemented.   Could be a lot of changes out there.

• Like 1

Social distancing, regardless of where ... going forward, is going to the new normal until a proven effective vaccine is widely available worldwide and affordable/free of charge (health disparity in the US, among the uninsured, etc. among the barriers and obstacles to overcome) 

Last Friday, we finally went to one of the Asian grocery stores here in Queens (NY) to pickup some items that aren't available elsewhere; and, was expected to be greeted by worker at the entrance doing contactless IR temperature scan and getting our footwear sprayed with alcohol-based disinfectant ... but wasn't.  We've watched YT videos posted by others online about another Asian grocery store doing that just the day before.  Perhaps going above & beyond but out of an abundance of precaution and exceeding what the NYCDOHM recommended and approved of, but it is still all in the interest of public health, protecting everyone including the shoppers & frontline workers alike.  Indirectly, FWIW, we've told a number of store employees were infected and died from Covid-19 exposure, not necessary while working on the job but nevertheless.  Wearing of a face mask, whether it's a simple cotton homemade one or surgical mask, or one of N95 or KN95/equivalent from overseas, is the expected & requirement before entering the store; and, appeared to be enforced by an employee.  (K/N95 masks come in different sizes & shapes and wearers must get fit-tested, learn how to put on/take it off properly to dispose of safely ... an OSHA requirement ... I am seeing way too many folks improperly using even the basic, simple face mask.)  

Since the SARS outbreak of 2002-03, followed several years later by the Avian and then Swine Flu, citizens and countries in Asia, especially China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea & even Vietnam have recognized and find it acceptable to wear a mask in public and when traveling, especially when another outbreak is being reported somewhere, anywhere around the world - they are overly fearful and taking extra precautions to minimize the odds of getting infection, especially in a community setting, whether the virus/germs/bacteria is airborne or droplet based or not.  It goes with the use of soap & water to wash hands often, along with the "washy washy" hand sanitizer routine, sort of conditioned since.  Perhaps, this is partial credit for those countries being able to quickly control their spread and lower the curves, and they also do extensive contact tracing as well as testing - and, have no problems with using quarantine and isolation measures to cohort anyone & everyone suspected of being infected, until proven otherwise.  

Given the highly infectious and deadly nature of Covid-19 in the immediate future, with much unknown ... we are going to follow those best practices adopted elsewhere in the world ... put on a mask when going outside, try our best to maintain social distance and avoid large gatherings, and wash our hands often.  It is always better to prevent than to deal with the aftermath of being infection; and, to be enrolled in a clinical trial - sometimes as a last resort in a matter of life & death.  Has anyone even tried to put a dollar figure to the medical/healthcare cost of this virus and wonder, who is paying for all these ... the out-of-pocket/co-pays and deductibles, etc. and other ancillary costs for recovery and post-discharge patient care.  Those bills got to be paid.  Same is true for future cruises when these extra/new add-on issues must be adopted and incorporated into running the ships - they paid and we, the customers and clients, will be footing the bill, no such thing as a freebie.  

The "American" mindset isn't going to help with our insistence of doing it our ways unless we remained inside our own bubbles - fly into Manila tomorrow, you WILL wear a mask and be asked all sorts of questions and the passport pages with visit stamps will be closely checked.  Non-residents arriving into other countries are faced with a mandatory 14 days self-isolation and/or quarantine upon registration.  These measures are difficult to chew here at home in the USA, but if we are looking forward to and planning to do those T/A and cruises at the rest of the world ... it is time to take another good look of what is ahead.  Not going to be popular or look pretty sitting 6 ft. apart on the pool deck and eating lunch out of a covered box.  

Good news is that 3 counties in upstate/central NY, much less populated than the metro NYC area, will move into Phase 1 of a 4 stage gradual opening with 2 weeks of "circuit breakers' built-in.  With luck & success, I only have wait another 5+ weeks to get a haircut, by appointment ... wearing a mask, after standing/waiting outside the barber shop ... 6 ft. apart.   Let's dream ! 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 3

On 5/8/2020 at 7:14 PM, Gershep said:

Social distancing on a cruise ship would be very hard to do. Most people aren't doing it here in NY, I went food shopping and couldn't believe how people are so close to one another. They are supposed to be wearing face masks and they are not following that either. There are those people who still want to do what they want to do.

Here in Massachusetts, Governor Baker issued a mandate for everyone with the exception of babies under 2, or those with health problems preventing the wearing of a mask, to wear one in public or face the possibility of a fine......No pun intended.  Most people we see are following his orders.   Massachusetts currently has over 77,000 cases of covid.

The problems I could see with social distancing on the ships, would be in the theater.  They would need to seat people in alternating rows, 3 seats apart.  What about the performers?  Many shows require them to touch each other when dancing.

• Like 1

NJ Governor opened State Parks a week ago (although Restrooms are closed).  It was test and not Phase 1 for State.
Today they report people are urinating in water bottles in these Parks and leaving them.  Human feces are also being reported from Commissioner of Police. Disgusting!  Who do they expect to clean up after them?!

Good grief!  What is wrong with society?!

I do hope these are not the people in future cruising.  I have met my share of self-absorbed idiots on cruises and was literally told to "stand down" by Security when I saw an episode at 6:30 a.m. while drinking my coffee in Atrium. Foul language and fighting with Customer Service.  I told this irrate passenger to relax and didn't appreciate her tone/cursing at Customer Service.  She was in my face and said "don't F++k with me I am from New Jersey and I will kick your ass". 

HA!  I am from New Jersey and embarrassed by this behavior.  Super awesome memories and how Society has evolved. Behavior is hideous.  Security told me to not say another word...
Didn't say another word, but proud I said something to this disgusting passenger prior to Security Intervention.

Point?

The Cruise Lines need to PROVE how to keep us safe (from jerks with no values who infiltrate the market and deserve everything).

If y'all want to keep investing on FCC, that is your choice.

I am still waiting for NCL to provide info on first cruises and guidelines.  How is the pool/jacuzzi/sauna chemical level?  Gym guidelines? Tap water in cabin? Is it safe to drink? Do I require a mask onboard?  Do I require a Doctor's Note to board? How is my food? Buffet? Specialty Restaurants?

So many questions and it is a hoot seeing y'all planning without knowledge of safety precautions ahead of you.
JMO. Be safe 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

I am still waiting for NCL to provide info on first cruises and guidelines.  How is the pool/jacuzzi/sauna chemical level?  Gym guidelines? Tap water in cabin? Is it safe to drink? Do I require a mask onboard?  Do I require a Doctor's Note to board? How is my food? Buffet? Specialty Restaurants?

So many questions and it is a hoot seeing y'all planning without knowledge of safety precautions ahead of you.
JMO. Be safe 🙂

Lotsa questions, thats for sure.

However, when you consider 200,000 deaths each year just from Norovirus, and given how easily Norovirus spreads on cruise ships, one has to wonder why these very questions weren't first and foremost for your previous cruise experiences. How did you ever plan without those answers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Lotsa questions, thats for sure.

However, when you consider 200,000 deaths each year just from Norovirus, and given how easily Norovirus spreads on cruise ships, one has to wonder why these very questions weren't first and foremost for your previous cruise experiences. How did you ever plan without those answers?

This is a different animal....

Be safe 🙂

13 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

This is a different animal....

Be safe 🙂

Please elaborate. Sick and die from a virus on a cruise ship that you catch from other passengers. (does that only describe one, neither, or both?)

You can catch a virus, get sick and die...one virus or the other. Not seeing why someone would want to be safe from one and not the other. Why not ask these questions ALL THE TIME?

"Tap water in cabin. Is it safe to drink?" Is that something you should be asking your local municipality about your tap water? Do you actually ask? Don't you ALWAYS want to be safe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Please elaborate. Sick and die from a virus on a cruise ship that you catch from other passengers. (does that only describe one, neither, or both?)

You can catch a virus, get sick and die...one virus or the other. Not seeing why someone would want to be safe from one and not the other. Why not ask these questions ALL THE TIME?

"Tap water in cabin. Is it safe to drink?" Is that something you should be asking your local municipality about your tap water? Do you actually ask? Don't you ALWAYS want to be safe?

Huh? I can get answers from Municipality about drinking water on land.  I am asking about NCL about Tap water from my Cabin and if it is safe to drink.  That it not a huge request. I am PAYING to cruise safely and want guidelines before I do so.

Your problem about my request is what?

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

"Can get", yes...but do you? Is the concern for safety real or selective? Every place you go has tap water, why just ask on a cruise ship? Hospitals are full of sick people, many of whom are contagious...do you ask about the water there? I mean, it isn't a huge request, right? Why do you even think the tap water might not be safe to drink? How do you know that there has never been a sick person or virus (norovirus, cough cough) present on a ship in the past?

Just assuming that you PAY to do everything safely, no? Why only guidelines for cruising? And why now and not before?

I don't have a problem with the request...it is the inconsistent requester that causes problems.

I'm just asking...you know, making a request of my own. Why have a problem with that?

LOL!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Can we please stop using the term social distancing. This makes no sense at all on a cruise ship.

Why don’t the staff drink the tap water on the ships? 
A vegan was talking in depth about it on our last cruise. 14 Feb-1 March Panama Canal.
Only asking? 

3 hours ago, Trimone said:

Why don’t the staff drink the tap water on the ships? 
A vegan was talking in depth about it on our last cruise. 14 Feb-1 March Panama Canal.
Only asking? 

yeah I will drink the free bottle or carton of water but after that I will drink what comes out of the ships tap (for lack of better terminology) I try to get the water from the drink dispenser in the buffet (using proper protocol, not sticking my germ bottle up the dispenser) but sometimes I just use the cabin tap from the bathroom.  Always wondered  why the staff would buy water (especially since they dont make that much money)

14 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Can we please stop using the term social distancing. This makes no sense at all on a cruise ship.

It will be a challenge, however I'd be willing to bet the cruise lines will have to show the CDC a PLAN concerning SD. As we know the best laid plans often go astray.

There will be limitations on occupancy in some venues, as BEST they can. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newleno said:

Always wondered  why the staff would buy water (especially since they dont make that much money)

Well....that brings up the question why anyone would buy water but most of us do.

• Like 1

Social distancing on a cruise ship is an impossible thing to do. Its not like they are going to force their passengers to stay in cabins or prohibit them from visiting buffet or restaurants on board. Maximum they can do is to distribute branded masks and give out antiseptics. In any case I wont book a cruise until this nonsense is over 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Social distancing on a cruise ship is an impossible thing to do. Its not like they are going to force their passengers to stay in cabins or prohibit them from visiting buffet or restaurants on board. Maximum they can do is to distribute branded masks and give out antiseptics. In any case I wont book a cruise until this nonsense is over 

I agree it's impossible, at least to me. What percentage of cruisers fly to the port? When you arrive at the port it's really busy. Then after you check in you have to wait in the terminal where it's also usually packed. All of this before you even get on a cruise. The space they use for 2500 people + does not allow for social distancing.  I'm with you I think I'll wait until this gets under control some how. Everyone take care.

57 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The NCL CEO stated there will be social distancing, many wearing masks and expects ships to initially sail at 50-60% capacity which will certainly help with social distancing.  Many have predicted various changes the lines could make, the end of self serve buffets, terminals turning people away if you're not within your boarding time window, one way stateroom hallways, theater ushers doing their best to keep two different families at least one empty seat apart, etc, yet elevators, tenders and simply the task of enforcing social distancing are some difficult examples.  My best guess is they'll try their best to implement it whenever possible which will make people feel more comfortable but there will be some situations where it can't be done without spending the big the bucks.  There's also the safety concern to whether corporate will even allow "honest" on board testing.  If any passenger/crew member reports to the doctor with any kind of symptoms, if they're legitimately tested and test positive then what?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beerman2 said:

It will be a challenge, however I'd be willing to bet the cruise lines will have to show the CDC a PLAN concerning SD. As we know the best laid plans often go astray.

There will be limitations on occupancy in some venues, as BEST they can. 

According to CDC 

Social distancing refers to methods for reducing

frequency and closeness of contact between people in order to decrease the risk of transmission of disease. Examples of social distancing include cancellation of public events such as concerts, sports events, or movies, closure of office buildings, schools, and other public places, and restriction of access to public places such as shopping malls or other places where people gather.

A cruise ship is a place where people gather in itself. If you want social distancing there is no cruising. 

The key, not limited to cruising, will be to isolate risk groups https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/05/longer-lockdown-for-over-70s-would-allow-fewer-restrictions-for-rest-of-uk-scientists-suggest

The data from Germany I saw today is that the average age of death related to covid-19 is 81. I think the solution is pretty clear what to do instead of having one way hallways. 

10 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

The data from Germany I saw today is that the average age of death related to covid-19 is 81. I think the solution is pretty clear what to do instead of having one way hallways. 

Yup.  The impact on the elderly is where the numbers are coming from.  85% of the deaths in NY are from the 60+ age range and 89% of people in all age ranges had serious underlying health issues.  The most logical thing would be to eliminate the high risk groups.

Edited by ray98

16 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

If you want social distancing there is no cruising. 

The key, not limited to cruising, will be to isolate risk

I fully agree with this and will not be cruising myself until I feel safe.  Yet cruise lines are bleeding cash are ready to sail at reduced capacity while implementing social distancing where ever possible.  My guess is, they did there home work and determine some people won't book a cruise unless ships are making an effort to social distance.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

10 minutes ago, ray98 said:

Yup.  The impact on the elderly is where the numbers are coming from.  85% of the deaths in NY are from the 60+ age range and 89% of people in all age ranges had serious underlying health issues.  The most logical thing would be to eliminate the high risk groups.

Except most of the high risk groups are the main source of people for cruises...

14 minutes ago, Comi.uy said:

Except most of the high risk groups are the main source of people for cruises...

Well.....they are looking for ways to reduce passenger count.

1 hour ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

According to CDC 

A cruise ship is a place where people gather in itself. If you want social distancing there is no cruising. 

The key, not limited to cruising, will be to isolate risk groups https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/may/05/longer-lockdown-for-over-70s-would-allow-fewer-restrictions-for-rest-of-uk-scientists-suggest

"Age discrimination " comes to mind if you're suggesting banning a certain (older) age group. The lawyers would have a field day with that.

Which opens up a plethora of situations.

The cruise lines have their work cut out for themselves, and will need to make adjustments when need, not if needed. 

And Pax will need to be able to adjust on board also, it's a 2 way street.

We have had to go through safe working procedures today to compile a Risk Assessment.

It is almost impossible, might be impossible, one day into it and you get so far then fall back ten.

Good luck with a ship, but at present we’ve got it at 20% of customer base.

We could easily operate at 10 persons, Now only 2, with space of 2m - 6ft 6inches gaps at circumference. Get a compass to scale get a photo and draw circles.

To trade in the U.K. i need that assessment?

46 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

"Age discrimination " comes to mind if you're suggesting banning a certain (older) age group. The lawyers would have a field day with that.

Saga cruises bans people under 50. Other cruises ban children and teenagers. There are a lot of restrictions based on age. Just in this case it would even be statistically justified. 

But I am sure it won't happen because of boomers outcry 

• Like 1