Insurance going forward

Newleno

So does anyone know of any travel HEALTH insurance polices that will cover the medical costs incurred if you get the plague on the ship or in a foreign country?  A supplement to ones own health insurance in the usa. Perhaps some of the wording on policies are different now, so must cover the current plague.  Not concerned about losing my vacation, flight, nor hotel costs, etc..  My number 1 determination of whether I can cruise again or not depends on reliable travel health insurance, cant afford to get slapped with a $100,000 bill just because I took a cruise.  Thanks for your time.

47 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

You may want to check out/post on the Cruise/Travel insurance sub-forum.  Lots of great advice on the insurance subject.  Here is the link for you:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

thanks, at times there can be some pretty insightful posters on the ncl board, so hoping to find a big gold nugget of info

• Like 2

One of the ideas /requirements rolling around for the future is that cruise ships must be able to handle any covid illnesses onboard.

I think NCL will have to come up with its own insurance policies, with a fee added for the cruisers convenience; just a guess

4 hours ago, Buford T Justiice said:

One of the ideas /requirements rolling around for the future is that cruise ships must be able to handle any covid illnesses onboard.

I think NCL will have to come up with its own insurance policies, with a fee added for the cruisers convenience; just a guess

NCL is not an insurance company. Even the insurance it sells is through a 3rd party insurer. NCL will provide medical treatment, but you (the passenger) have to pay before you disembark. You need to take your bill and file claims with your insurance company. 

From what I have seen on other forums; if you booked your travel insurance before this crises started you are covered. But if you have purchased it since you may not be covered for this contingency as the independent insurers have ben scrabbling to change their policies. It always pays to check with your provider.

1 hour ago, tallnthensome said:

this has nothing to do with NCL ..... we have another forum for this. 

"at times there can be some pretty insightful posters on the ncl board", but there are always exceptions.  However I know a few people here are pretty sharp and they may have a handle on it, I would like an NCL type response, hence an ncl board.  Odd that you felt a need to reply with zero information offered that was not already presented but to each their own, cruise critic your way my way

Edited by Newleno

23 hours ago, Newleno said:

So does anyone know of any travel HEALTH insurance polices that will cover the medical costs incurred if you get the plague on the ship or in a foreign country?  A supplement to ones own health insurance in the usa. Perhaps some of the wording on policies are different now, so must cover the current plague.  Not concerned about losing my vacation, flight, nor hotel costs, etc..  My number 1 determination of whether I can cruise again or not depends on reliable travel health insurance, cant afford to get slapped with a $100,000 bill just because I took a cruise.  Thanks for your time.

Where do you live?  You can check with Kaiser Permanente if you live in an area that offers coverage. This is an HMO, not a travel insurance company.  And yes, they do repatriate their members if needed. But always read any policy carefully for exclusions.  I think most travel insurance companies exclude CoVID 19 coverage from policies purchased  after January 21, 2020.  Not sure travel insurance companies will cover COVID 19 now as it is an known factor. 

Do Try the insurance boards.  There are recommendations for agents. We use Steve from Tripinsurance store. We found him on that board/forum.  These folks are very knowledgeable.  

Please  post if you find something,  good luck. 

• Like 1

I've used Geoblue for medical only travel policies. This is an update to their website reference COVID coverage:

Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered without copay or other member contribution.

Treatment for COVID-19 is covered as an Illness under the policy, and we are waiving copay and other member contribution for covered treatment of COVID-19 cases diagnosed through May 31. Please note the following important exclusion: Coverage for pandemic illness, including COVID-19 is not covered if a member failed to depart a country within a reasonable time from the date the country became subject to a level-3 travel warning by the CDC, or similar travel warning from that country’s government. Members remaining in a country in that circumstance would not be covered for COVID-19, but otherwise would retain all coverage under the policy within its normal terms and conditions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

I've used Geoblue for medical only travel policies. This is an update to their website reference COVID coverage:

Diagnostic testing for COVID-19 is covered without copay or other member contribution.

Treatment for COVID-19 is covered as an Illness under the policy, and we are waiving copay and other member contribution for covered treatment of COVID-19 cases diagnosed through May 31. Please note the following important exclusion: Coverage for pandemic illness, including COVID-19 is not covered if a member failed to depart a country within a reasonable time from the date the country became subject to a level-3 travel warning by the CDC, or similar travel warning from that country’s government. Members remaining in a country in that circumstance would not be covered for COVID-19, but otherwise would retain all coverage under the policy within its normal terms and conditions.

thanks this helps alot,  thank you.  Ill go look at geoblue info

Edited by Newleno