Will Celebrity's cancellation policy be more flexible when cruising restarts?

Shadow9612

I realize this discussion will be speculation only.....but, if cruising restarts before a vaccine is found, there may be people who do not feel comfortable cruising. 

I like what Celebrity is doing now in allowing people to move current bookings into next year, but cruising is not happening at all now.

Do you think they might do the same once cruising restarts for a certain period of time?

For example, waive the $100 pp change fee associated with NRDs if a booking is moved into the future? 

2 hours ago, jelayne said:

Right now every cruise I have looked at for 2021 & 22 has a refundable deposit.  

I booked a 2021 cruise with a NRD on board a previous cruise.  The price savings of a NRD vs refundable far outweighed the potential to lose $100pp.  Never saw this covid scenario coming...

• Like 2

Just the opposite......I suspect that cruise lines will generally move in the direction of eliminating cash refunds in favor of FCCs.  I also think many will try to discourage refundable deposits though pricing changes.

4 minutes ago, mnocket said:

Just the opposite......I suspect that cruise lines will generally move in the direction of eliminating cash refunds in favor of FCCs.  I also think many will try to discourage refundable deposits though pricing changes.

I don’t know if US consumer protection laws would allow a vendor to offer a service, cancel that service, and then keep the money. 

Edited by Prost Seattle

2 minutes ago, Prost Seattle said:

I don’t know if US consumer protection laws would allow a vendor to offer a service, cancel that service, and then keep the money. 

You may be right, but I read the OP's question as referring to cancellations by the customer not the cruise line.

16 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

16 hours ago, mnocket said:

You may be right, but I read the OP's question as referring to cancellations by the customer not the cruise line.

@mnocketthat is correct, but @Prost Seattle brings up a good point:

What happens if I cancel before final payment because I "feel" the cruise won't happen given covid situation and  I don't want more money locked up with Celebrity, and then X cancels the cruise. 

I don't get the $100pp NRD refunded because I cancelled first, but it doesn't seem fair given the current pandemic and the likelihood that a cruise won't sail.  

I realize this could simple  "contract law", but it just seems unfair given the pandemic.

17 hours ago, Prost Seattle said:

Disclosure.

It has to be disclosed, unless legislated by law, e.g. airlines.

I do not see it being legislated as passenger cruises are considered non-essential, well in my case they are essential, but I do envision having an Act of Congress to come to my rescue on this, as I do have the option to not book at all.

bon voyage

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The days of the non-refundable deposit should be over for most.  Why would anybody choose this option in the future?  The risk far outweighs the very limited savings.

We have no choice in the UK, all deposits are non-refundable. 
Some people do book with an USA TA and can then access the refundable deposits, but the vast majority of people booking in the UK either book with Celebrity (UK) directly or through  a UK TA. I cannot see Celebrity changing booking conditions here in the UK, as our whole travel industry is based on non- refundable deposits. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

The days of the non-refundable deposit should be over for most.  Why would anybody choose this option in the future?  The risk far outweighs the very limited savings.

Unfortunately, the 'limited savings' are often not limited at all, at least by my definition.  On a cruise we booked that was scheduled to sail this summer, I think the price different was over $1000 for the two of us.  As I cruise a lot (or did in the past anyway and hope to do again), that potential $100 pp fee and some FCC is well worth saving $1000. And in a non-pandemic world, perhaps the fee might even be covered by insurance, depending.   It really does depend on the individual situation.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I agree- moving forward I wouldn't book a bunch of NRD cruises.  However, when I did so recently, the price difference was in the thousands of dollars.  Very enticing, and I took the bait.  Never thought of this happening.

17 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think it will actually go the other way and Celebrity will move over completely to the same conditions we have in the UK where it’s none refundable only. I think they were tired of people booking multiple cabins and cruises then cancelling just before final payment. From what I read on here there is a big price difference between refundable and none refundable in the US.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

What happens if I cancel before final payment because I "feel" the cruise won't happen given covid situation and  I don't want more money locked up with Celebrity, and then X cancels the cruise. 

I cancelled on 17/04/20 as at that time, Celebrity required a ‘Safe to Sail’ letter issued by a Doctor. I knew I wouldn’t get one, as I have been told by my Drs surgery to Social Shield, due to multiple long term conditions( all effectively managed).

Also Gov.uk has similar advice.

Our full payment was due at the beginning of May. I am told that I have been issued with FCC, but I haven’t had it issued. At the moment I have no intention of cruising until a vaccine is available, so asked for a refund. I was informed that my booking isn’t eligible for a refund ( booked in UK).

As the cruise was on Aug 1st it hasn’t yet been cancelled by Celebrity.

15 hours ago, downsmead said:

We have no choice in the UK, all deposits are non-refundable. 
Some people do book with an USA TA and can then access the refundable deposits, but the vast majority of people booking in the UK either book with Celebrity (UK) directly or through  a UK TA. I cannot see Celebrity changing booking conditions here in the UK, as our whole travel industry is based on non- refundable deposits. 

Could Celebrity offer the same refundable plan in the UK as they offer in the US or is that regulated by policies or laws in the UK?  Maybe you you voice your complaints to the authorities in the UK.  

4 hours ago, yorky said:

I think it will actually go the other way and Celebrity will move over completely to the same conditions we have in the UK where it’s none refundable only. I think they were tired of people booking multiple cabins and cruises then cancelling just before final payment. From what I read on here there is a big price difference between refundable and none refundable in the US.

But would they offer NRD's only and keep the prices lower?  Probably not.