Terrace Cafe

Classiccruiser777

43 minutes ago, ORV said:

Saw a story on the news where Nat Parks are so packed they're turning people away. Especially in UT. I went to Zion & Bryce earlier this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Orv........headed to the wild parks  like Canyon Lands and the Needles, Big Horn cyn,   Used to be a Ranger and have friends  in many places.....  Yosemite  and Yellowstone opening too...   Land cruising

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

You bet 

You're lucky. Seattle restaurants remain open for take-out only. And we made a res at an RV park in central CA and were quizzed to make sure it was "essential travel."

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Jancruz was right when she said on a different thread many people don't understand the pent up demand for cruises...

Perhaps for a few. What I seem to see here and hear elsewhere is people saying "not until there's a vaccine." And once there's a properly tested one then like a couple of years at least to get the entire planet vaccinated. As I've mentioned elsewhere, there are 40,000,000 people in California. And I'm guessing the millions and millions of first responders, children and their parents - at the least - are going to precede the 'seniors who cruise. And as one of our daughters said this morning, they need to get that middle group vaccinated so they can restart the economy. We're not holding our breath for intl. travel.

Metro Portland, OR area is still on lock down......most of the rest of the State has been approved for Phase 1 of Governor's plan so salons, restaurants with limited seating, etc. are open.  They will be in Phase 2 before Portland area even applies for Phase 1.   My hair hasn't been this long in 40 years!!!! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, basor said:

Metro Portland, OR area is still on lock down......most of the rest of the State has been approved for Phase 1 of Governor's plan so salons, restaurants with limited seating, etc. are open.  They will be in Phase 2 before Portland area even applies for Phase 1.   My hair hasn't been this long in 40 years!!!! 

Fortunately, barbershops & salons opened in Colorado three weeks ago. I was beginning to look like an old hippie. :classic_wacko:

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

17 hours ago, basor said:

One more month and I'll have hair so long I can wear my Airpods without looking like the total tool I am.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/24/2020 at 3:10 PM, basor said:

We sat out on the deck today while I gave dh a mowing. Didn't permit him to return the favor or to touch up my roots as he offered.

Back to the Terrace cafe, my favorite spot on an O ship is the dessert spread.

I never have been a fan of the ice cream served on Oceania but that recently added “small-batch artisanal” Humphry Slocombe ice cream (recommended to me by a member of my fun trivia team on Riviera in early March) was fantastic.  Only one flavor on offer per day but so so tasty!  

Edited by CintiPam

Whereas I'll take the cooked to order lobster, shrimp, lamb chops, etc.

12 hours ago, clo said:

Whereas I'll take the cooked to order lobster, shrimp, lamb chops, etc.

Whereas the last few times on the Nautica all those items were cooked to cremation status, regardless of how ordered. Rubberized lobster so tough I could barely cut it with a steak knife isn’t appealing to me. The Marina does do a bit better, but that’s a station I typically avoid in the Terrace. If/ when I want lobster, it’s prepared much better in the Specialty restaurants. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Whereas the last few times on the Nautica all those items were cooked to cremation status, regardless of how ordered.  

I stand at the grill while my lobster tails are cooking and TELL the cook when to take them off and plate them for me.  Never - since the first one - have I had an overcooked lobster, steak, shrimp since!  Works like a charm; try it next time.  Given their size (quite small) I let them cook for about three minutes - no more.

3 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I stand at the grill while my lobster tails are cooking and TELL the cook when to take them off and plate them for me.  Never - since the first one - have I had an overcooked lobster, steak, shrimp since!  Works like a charm; try it next time.  Given their size (quite small) I let them cook for about three minutes - no more.

I’ve tried that. Only works when they’re not busy doing multiple other tasks. Does little good to beg to have your lobster or steak removed, when they are busy helping another passenger with their plate.

21 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I stand at the grill while my lobster tails are cooking

Please no negative responses as this is one of those horribly embarrassing things to admit but good to relieve myself of. I can't bear to look at lobsters as they look like huge insects. A a matter of fact they ARE closely related to insects- mosquitos, grasshoppers and lobsters are in phylum arthopoda.

My fear of looking at them or even their shells must be some strange neuro wiring or maybe a form of psychosis. 🙃

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Please no negative responses as this is one of those horribly embarrassing things to admit but good to relieve myself of. I can't bear to look at lobsters as they look like huge insects. A a matter of fact they ARE closely related to insects- mosquitos, grasshoppers and lobsters are in phylum arthopoda.

My fear of looking at them or even their shells must be some strange neuro wiring or maybe a form of psychosis. 🙃

I completely agree with you. I feel the same about crabs. I don’t eat any shellfish at all. All other fish is good with me. 

3 minutes ago, JVNYC said:

I completely agree with you. I feel the same about crabs. I don’t eat any shellfish at all. All other fish is good with me. 

Same about crabs too and shellfish as well. Also don't like the way either are killed.

Not at all   when I was diving for  lobsters in the day... we used to call them "BUGS".....  You should not visit Maine  and the "lobster pounds"

42468716_2142861826031701_2232850503874641920_n.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry Hawaii Dan, but had to ignore you temporarily. I'll remove as soon as your post moves up a bit. Always enjoy your posts but not this photo. Not a friendly move.

Edited by Petoonya

23 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Not at all   when I was diving for  lobsters in the day... we used to call them "BUGS".....  You should not visit Maine  and the "lobster pounds"

I'm with you all the way, Dan!

41 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Best looking photo of the month.  They look great. Can't wait for my next lobster.  This weekend I hope.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Whereas the last few times on the Nautica all those items were cooked to cremation status, regardless of how ordered. Rubberized lobster so tough I could barely cut it with a steak knife isn’t appealing to me. The Marina does do a bit better, but that’s a station I typically avoid in the Terrace. If/ when I want lobster, it’s prepared much better in the Specialty restaurants. 

Now that is a crying shame. One day I ordered a medium rare lamb burger, went to our table and a server brought it to me cooked perfectly.

3 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Sorry Hawaii Dan, but had to ignore you temporarily. I'll remove as soon as your post moves up a bit. Always enjoy your posts but not this photo. Not a friendly move.

Really.....it was all friendly.....  

2 hours ago, RJB said:

Best looking photo of the month.  They look great. Can't wait for my next lobster.  This weekend I hope.

Portland ME...at the Porthole...    2.-  1.5lb lobster, corn , potato,  $24 !!!   Clams. BBQ oysters and  Scallops.....    MMMM and no bones  to worry about

I splurged and bought myself a live lobster here in Reno just the other day. I steamed him and drenched in butter and lemon.  Best meal of the year so far :).  Grew up with lobsters on the east coast.

We always look forward to the lobster and filet sandwich in waves.  It’s our first meal of the cruise every time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Portland ME...at the Porthole...    2.-  1.5lb lobster, corn , potato,  $24 !!!   Clams. BBQ oysters and  Scallops.....    MMMM and no bones  to worry about

What year was that?

2 hours ago, bandgbasset said:

I splurged and bought myself a live lobster here in Reno just the other day. I steamed him and drenched in butter and lemon.  Best meal of the year so far :).  Grew up with lobsters on the east coast.

We always look forward to the lobster and filet sandwich in waves.  It’s our first meal of the cruise every time.

Did you order it from "Back East"? We're in Reno also. I've not seen them live here.