Carnival lido buffet-what FOOD items add or delete

geckoaz

I like buffets because of choices but i skip a lot..l love the addition of homemade ice cream...please keep that carnival. What food changes would you make to the menu or keep? Anything you want added?

Eliminate the "make your own" salad bar at the buffet and replace it with bowls of pre-made salads with an assortment of dressings in small containers with lids.  This will be a better option than everyone touching those big, clunky containers of dressing that Carnival now uses.  The ready made salads could be anything from caesar salads to spinach salads.  This will eliminate cross contamination and speed up the buffet line.

• Like 7

When i go on mexican cruises i would like to see more mexican food. I want enchiladas and rice and real corn chips. I know blue iguana exist but i would like it in lido food. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, tattoos said:

Eliminate the "make your own" salad bar at the buffet and replace it with bowls of pre-made salads with an assortment of dressings in small containers with lids.  This will be a better option than everyone touching those big, clunky containers of dressing that Carnival now uses.  The ready made salads could be anything from caesar salads to spinach salads.  This will eliminate cross contamination and speed up the buffet line.

Great idea about the salad dressing in individual containers.  The large containers get very messy.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, geckoaz said:

When i go on mexican cruises i would like to see more mexican food. I want enchiladas and rice and real corn chips. I know blue iguana exist but i would like it in lido food. 

I would support this!  It would be great to have a choice of fajitas and quesadillas.  OMG.  Yum.

2 hours ago, madamerkf said:

I love the Indian food on the splendor. As well as the BBQ on the Sunshine. Those should be standard on every ship. 

I agree about the Indian food. Its yummy.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, tattoos said:

First I want to say I love your name, even if it isn't about the ink kinds on your skin, the stress from this lockdown has me chomping at the bit for our local shops open so I can get something.. anything done! 

That being said, I am a salad person. I make a salad everyday for my "dinner" for work (which is breakfast for most people but... schedules!) It is an odd day I don't have 1 or 2 meals that aren't what is considered a salad. Pre-made salads sounds like a good option, except then I won't be able to eat one on a cruise which would make me sad. I have an allergy to raw tomato acid and mushrooms. I tend to be very very picky with self serve salads in general because of this but the tomatoes won't flat out kill me (just lots of itchy hives) the mushrooms on the other hand will need an epi-pen and medical care. 

I mean if they are going to have food served from the buffet in general (which I believe) it would be just as easy to do it for the salad bar. The dressing thing is the best idea ever though! I hate those huge bottles because I always feel like they are warmer than they should be... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jasalth:  My name does mean the ink kind.  I have been patiently waiting also for shops to open up, I've got a blank area on my left leg that needs a tatt.

Your comment is true, I am allergic to tomatos also but love caesar salad.  Those big bottles of dressing were always warm (yuck) and messy to use.

9 hours ago, geckoaz said:

l love the addition of homemade ice cream...please keep that carnival. 

Actually they serve gelato which we prefer and the flavors vary most days with two to choose from. We'll have no problem enjoying these again because the gelato has always been served to us by the staff.

Eliminate the self serve buffet entirely and convert the space into stations that have staff put together plates, sandwiches, burgers, soups, whatever for pax.  No more pax touching community food or utensils.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Eliminate the self serve buffet entirely and convert the space into stations that have staff put together plates, sandwiches, burgers, soups, whatever for pax.  No more pax touching community food or utensils.

Good idea, certainly easier than guests having to dress like this for a self-serve buffet. Seriously.

60949491-man-and-woman-in-protective-sui

• Haha 4

Sigh. Every forum turns into covid topic.  Personally i make my snacks at salad bars. I will fill a bowl with olives, cube cheeses. Deli.meats. i sit and read in the afternoon. Balance is tough on a ship. So please have cheese olive veggie plates. As far as dressings..we have the butter problem.  Carnival is being forced to reduce waste of single use items. So they moved to butter tubs. We grossed out. (There are folks that added individual butter to packing list. I hope it has not gone bad.) So individual salad packs adds to waste. Rock and hard place. How to protect environment and keep passengers healthy. Maybe go to.fired pie concept. Tell them what you want in salad and they make salad for you. 

• Like 4

I would like to see the Eggs (Powder, Etc.) Carnival currently uses for Scrambled Eggs at the Buffet go Bye-Bye!! If Carnival would use Real Eggs instead to make Scrambled Eggs, that would be Awesome!! And yes, I can get Scrambled Eggs from the Omelet Station but the lines can be Cra-Cra to say the least.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tattoos said:

Instead of salad plates that are pre-made, let there be servers who take your request as to what ingredients you want. We have already experienced this on HAL. DW is very much a salad person. She thought that they gave her way more of each ingredient than she would have taken, but was otherwise ok with the procedure. I had no problem with it.

2 hours ago, geckoaz said:

Sigh. Every forum turns into covid topic.  Personally i make my snacks at salad bars. I will fill a bowl with olives, cube cheeses. Deli.meats. i sit and read in the afternoon. Balance is tough on a ship. So please have cheese olive veggie plates. As far as dressings..we have the butter problem.  Carnival is being forced to reduce waste of single use items. So they moved to butter tubs. We grossed out. (There are folks that added individual butter to packing list. I hope it has not gone bad.) So individual salad packs adds to waste. Rock and hard place. How to protect environment and keep passengers healthy. Maybe go to.fired pie concept. Tell them what you want in salad and they make salad for you. 

I agree it is sad to think that our usual cruising norms will be drastically altered.  I also think it might be delusional to think we can just pick up cruising as if nothing ever happened.  The virus will alter many of our ways, habits and norms, and cruising will not be exempt.

Self Serve buffets will disappear and be replaced by serving stations, either staffed or automatic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Self Serve buffets will disappear and be replaced by serving stations, either staffed or automatic.

We loved going to the automat in NYC as kids and young adults. Perhaps the saying "Everything Old is New Again " will apply on Carnival soon.

hth-automat-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I don't know that I know enough of what I would want to see "go away". If I had to guess, most things are there for a reason, and some of that reason is because other people enjoy it. It's typical behavior that if you don't enjoy something, that means no one else should.

If I had to add, I'd welcome a variety of choices. My first thought would be chicken tenders (even nashville hot).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

Yes!! Eliminate the self serve 'trough' (the buffet) entirely......🐖 🐷 🐖

1-MAIN-pigs-eating-apples-c-no-credit-10

Edited by ObstructedView2
  • Like 1

I want them to stop putting onions and peppers in the majority of the items.  There have been many things that looked good until I saw the onions and peppers.  I find the texture of onions and peppers revolting.

• Like 3