Changes By Celebrity ---- Unrelated to COVID

Pinboy

My first X- cruise was at 2001 and I remember those " magic tricks" of the waiters quite well. Thank god for small mercies - they did a away with that nonsense! Nowadays the waiters barley have the time to serve you meal- lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

They are definitely never bringing back individual toiletries again. Almost all of the major hotel companies are also doing away with individual toiletries to reduce single use plastic waste. 

Now can we use more convenient dispensers? Absolutely. I've seen some hotels use squeeze bottles attached to a wall bracket that's much easier to dispense the product. In fact they've been using those types of dispensers for decades in Europe. 

I wouldn’t bet on that kwokpot.  Now with high risk of cross-contamination of a much feared virus, I would be willing to Wager that individual toiletries may well be making a return.   

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

I forgot...yes, let’s see something in place of “Bait on Five”.  Bring back the Bistro.  Or have a rotating series of different cuisines....sushi if you must, but then the next day Indian, then northern Italian, then German, Jamaican, and so on.  Give us a reason to go back there more than once.  

I also love the rotating menu idea.  That would certainly encourage me.  I used to like Bistro on Five for boarding day lunch, and once in a while another meal; but it clearly didn't generate enough business to justify itself.  I think your idea would cause people not only to go, but to go more than once per cruise. 

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Snit13 said:

A Caribbean cruise should have Caribbean bands....steel drum.....used to have them all the time.

There used to be a gentleman on Equinox (possibly other ships) around 10 years ago who played the steel drum at the pool...so relaxing.  His name escapes me.. It would be great to have him back!

OP, thank you for starting this post, we all need breaks of thought from the present cruising situation....

I love the Captain’s 10 O’clock announcements! Captain Leo has my shout for the funniest.  Every morning he would say something that made me smile or chuckle...Not jokes just comments like “.....we are 8 metres from the nearest land which is directly below us...” or “...if you are planning on going ashore today I would not recommend as we are at sea...”. If you didn’t listen carefully you would miss the fun.

Re the ‘on five’ restaurant. Totally agree a rotating menu is the way to go. How hard can it be to design a 7 night rotation. Indian, Mexican, Asian, Caribbean? I cannot see why there would need to be any issues with food supply or wastage as the buffet has similar offerings, you would be paying extra for the food cooked to order and location. It would also be a great evening venue at least once a cruise for real local dining using food brought fresh on board. I would like to bet that lots of guests would be willing to pay extra for food really from the places visited, we certainly would. 

Whilst on the topic of Sushi on Five and how busy Cafe al Bacio can be on sea days...Why not open it up in the morning (free) simply for coffee and pastry? It would not only take pressure off the cafe it would take pressure off the buffet too. 

Re on board cosmetics we were very disappointed with the Bigelow products in the Suites last cruise. Not only were the dispensers clumsy they didn’t have fittings so you needed two hands to operate. Also another set of surfaces to clean before using...

Re live music on board...I am all for variety, even if some of it is not to my taste. What I hate is venues having the same old thump, thump daily. Have a Caribbean band by the pool some days but not everyday, have loud music near the Martini bar for a short while each evening but not for all of the evening....Give everyone a bit of what they enjoy, give people a taste of something different but don’t feel venues need to be defined by the music played there. In addition a comment on the looped music tapes...really awful on the Retreat Deck on Equinox. Not only did each track have the same background beat the loop was less than an hour so even if you could cope with the sun and wind the music would send you packing!

I do wish Celebrity would send more consultation questionnaires out prior to changes. The present end of cruise ones allow you to review present offerings but don’t really allow you to offer that ‘even better if....’ type feedback.

At the moment I would happily eat Sushi on Five, get deafened at the Martini bar, juggle with cosmetic bottles and even listen to the looped music just to be back on board...

Thanks again OP for the subject change!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use to like it when the servers on Caribbean cruises would do the sorbet parade and pass the sorbet to all or at least those of us they passed by.  By the time I got mine, the spoon was no longer required. 😉

Edited by davekathy

27 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I use to like it when the servers on Caribbean cruises would do the sorbet parade and pass the sorbet to all or at least those of us they passed by.  By the time I got mine, the spoon was no longer required. 😉

They were passing out ices in those little triangle paper last year on the Edge.

1 minute ago, kwokpot said:

Where are you from that you haven't heard that term? Ices, Ice pops, Italian Ice.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNixHb1QkkOnlQ8JBWGza

It doesn't matter where I from!  Simple question as I've never heard of ices and especially on any of the ships we've been on. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Yeah, since I don't live in the Philadelphia metro area. :classic_rolleyes: Italian ice would have been the answer which I've had. 

I'm 58 and originally from the NYC area. The term Ices is pretty standard in the Northeast. Lots of regional dialect. Soda in the Northeast, POP in the Midwest. Iced Tea in the Northeast, Sweet Tea in the South.

Edited by kwokpot

5 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I'm 58 and originally from the NYC area. The term Ices is pretty standard in the Northeast. Lots of regional dialect. Soda in the Northeast, POP in the Midwest.  

I'm 68 and until drafted in 1970 I was born and raised in northern NY. Never heard of Italian ice called ices up there.  Regional dialect even in the same state. 

Edited by davekathy

These policies will keep changing everyday until they figure out that there is nothing really particular pops up. What I mean to say that even before some of the policy clauses have not been followed and I have very little hope that something extraordinary will happen in this matter 

I'm 58 and originally from the NYC area. The term Ices is pretty standard in the Northeast. Lots of regional dialect. Soda in the Northeast, POP in the Midwest. Iced Tea in the Northeast, Sweet Tea in the South.

Was born and raised in nyc ever heard of ices. 

6 minutes ago, George C said:

So if I asked you in the middle of August if you wanted a cherry or lemon ices you wouldn't know what I was talking about?

24 minutes ago, George C said:

https://www.marthastewart.com/354075/cherry-ice

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lemon-ice

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/frosty-watermelon-ice/

I was wondering if I was living in an alternate universe. None of the above recipes have the modifier ITALIAN. 

Edited by kwokpot

https://www.marthastewart.com/354075/cherry-ice

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lemon-ice

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/frosty-watermelon-ice/

I was wondering if I was living in an alternate universe. None of the above recipes have the modifier ITALIAN. 

And none of the links you provided calls it just ices. All start with a flavor followed by ice. Those I've heard of. 

Edited by davekathy

Back to the topic...We like some of the post revolution changes. The MDR and OVC got a nice face lift and the Sky Lounge (revelations) didn't get downsized. The stateroom (balcony  stateroom) makeover was nice also. 

34 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Back to the topic...We like some of the post revolution changes. The MDR and OVC got a nice face lift and the Sky Lounge (revelations) didn't get downsized. The stateroom (balcony  stateroom) makeover was nice also. 

I think the Revolution is done.