Tipping

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

So just to be clear, it is OK to modify gratuities just as long as they are not removed completely?

It is okay to modify gratuities if a particular real problem could not be corrected and then only the tips pertaining to that problem. First world elitist problems (my coffee was only 192 degrees instead of 195 degrees so I'm removing all of my tips) does not count. Does this really need further explanation?

21 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

It is okay to modify gratuities if a particular real problem could not be corrected and then only the tips pertaining to that problem. First world elitist problems (my coffee was only 192 degrees instead of 195 degrees so I'm removing all of my tips) does not count. Does this really need further explanation?

Or removing Gratuites for this soup exchange on the Azura

After tasting

To his Wife aloud... Soup's cold

Calls over the waiter

Sir, is there a problem?

Yes, the Soup's cold

Did Sir order the Gazpacho?

Yes

Sir, it's a cold soup

(Abruptly) I know that, I just told you

• Haha 6

33 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Or removing Gratuites for this soup exchange on the Azura

After tasting

To his Wife aloud... Soup's cold

Calls over the waiter

Sir, is there a problem?

Yes, the Soup's cold

Did Sir order the Gazpacho?

Yes

Sir, it's a cold soup

(Abruptly) I know that, I just told you

🤣👍👍

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

While I have never tried to "modify" my gratuities on Royal, I have on NCL because of a change in their policies and was very successful in "modifying" my gratuities without fully removing them. I suspect you are incorrect in your assumption and that Royal will "modify" gratuities as well. It is not an all or nothing proposition.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. Auto Gratuity on RCI is an “all or nothing” endeavor. This is not an “assumption” on my part as you stated in your post, but a fact. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

Apparently it did or I would not have asked the question. However, now it doesn't.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Exactly, and I can report that as recently as February 2020, it is a fact that RCI will not allow a “modification” only a removal. 

I assume you meant that you were not allowed to modify grats  - not sure you can extrapolate and declare that is true for the entire fleet for every customer. One must be real careful with absolutes, all it takes is one example to prove you wrong. 

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

I assume you meant that you were not allowed to modify grats  - not sure you can extrapolate and declare that is true for the entire fleet for every customer. One must be real careful with absolutes, all it takes is one example to prove you wrong. 

True, I’ll wait to hear from someone who was successful. 

27 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That may be a long wait - there are few folks like @Thorben-Hendrik who remove grats very often and perhaps even fewer who will admit it.

Haven’t seen Thorben post in quite some time, which has made CC much less “colorful”

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Especially true since we know how consistent things are throughout the fleet.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Unbelievable - if you know how to comprehend English then I would imagine you'd know the definition of hypocrite.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Awesome way to rationalize you being wrong. Good job. 🤣

FYI, the article on the Royal site is not my opinion. I do not work for Royal and had no say in the article. I simply know how to comprehend English correctly. 😉

"You're wrong to take away your autograts, that's awful.....but when I do it it's fine because I can give my reasoning behind it and my reasoning is right".

Oh man alive, give your head a rest.

On 6/1/2020 at 10:23 PM, Tree_skier said:

So how many people tip their cabin steward on the first day of the cruise.  That has been my custom and I have always had amazing service.  I know some people complain that that is bribing the cabin steward and you shouldn't do it but it has always worked for me.  

We don't tip early and we always receive good service. If we didn't get good service then no extra tip for them. I think most cabin stewards work hard to try to please people in hopes of getting something extra at the end.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 4:49 PM, amurray88 said:

"You're wrong to take away your autograts, that's awful.....but when I do it it's fine because I can give my reasoning behind it and my reasoning is right".

Oh man alive, give your head a rest.

I have never taken away my autograts on a Royal cruise so I have no idea what you are talking about. I abhor people who take away their autograts without a specific, excellent reason. On NCL, I once removed the exact amount because of a change in policy and was not going to pay double tips for a specialty meal. In 30 cruises that one time is the only time I have modified my autograts.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Any subject to do with money will always bring out arguments. The simple fact is, it is up to the individual to decide if they want to tip or not. The cruising industry is open to visitors from all over the world and different cultures, therefor these people have different beliefs in regards to tipping.

For example in america it is custom to tip for things where as in Japan it is considered rude to tip. 

I know what i do and i am not going to share it on a forum, but i respect other peoples decisions

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I have never taken away my autograts on a Royal cruise so I have no idea what you are talking about. I abhor people who take away their autograts without a specific, excellent reason. On NCL, I once removed the exact amount because of a change in policy and was not going to pay double tips for a specialty meal. In 30 cruises that one time is the only time I have modified my autograts.

Ahhh sorry, just trying to follow your rules - stupid me, so people are idiots if they remove autograts on a RCI cruise but it's fine on NCL - fully understand your rules now. Glad your rules in no way show hypocrisy, apologies for my previous misunderstanding 😂

Well, I just read all 13 pages of this thread.  (Yes, I am very bored.)  I gotta say, I am very confused about tipping now.  I think I will just go back to the very first post and do whatever it says, but since someone was arguing that you pay more if you are in a  suite, I am not sure if I should.  I really thought the gratuities on my invoice would pay for everything. 

All this tipping drama is gonna scare me away from cruising more than covid 19 or norovirus. 

1 hour ago, Mallefiscent said:

Well, I just read all 13 pages of this thread.  (Yes, I am very bored.)  I gotta say, I am very confused about tipping now.  I think I will just go back to the very first post and do whatever it says, but since someone was arguing that you pay more if you are in a  suite, I am not sure if I should.  I really thought the gratuities on my invoice would pay for everything. 

All this tipping drama is gonna scare me away from cruising more than covid 19 or norovirus. 

Pay your autograts ,what you do after that is up to you. Tipping is a personal issue don't let it stress you out. 🙂

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mallefiscent said:

The auto grats are higher if you are in a suite. You don't need to tip any extra unless you choose to. Don't let this stress you out.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The auto grats are higher if you are in a suite. You don't need to tip any extra unless you choose to. Don't let this stress you out.

Are there any typically tipped positions that don't receive tips with auto gratuities? I remember working my way through college, so I like to make sure I help others out. 

10 minutes ago, Mallefiscent said:

Are there any typically tipped positions that don't receive tips with auto gratuities? I remember working my way through college, so I like to make sure I help others out. 

People here say it is common to tip room service. I have never used it so I can't speak for myself. I can't really think of much else. If you buy a drink 18% is automatically added. If you but a drink package 18% is automatically added to the price. If you eat in a specialty restaurant 18% is added to that. Pretty much anything you buy on the ship outside of the retail shops will have 18% added to it. No tipping is needed in the shops. 

So, pretty much, if you pay the auto grats you are covered.

• Like 3

Just now, Ocean Boy said:

People here say it is common to tip room service. I have never used it so I can't speak for myself. I can't really think on much else. If you buy a drink 18% is automatically added. If you but a drink package 18% is automatically added to the price. If you eat in a specialty restaurant 18% is added to that. Pretty much anything you buy on the ship outside of the retail shops will have 18% added to it. No tipping is needed in the shops. 

So, pretty much, if you pay the auto grats you are covered.

Thank you.