Cruise ships with over 500 passengers to be banned from Canadian ports until Oct 31, 2020

CBC News is reporting right now that Canada is extending its ban on large cruise ships - 500 passengers and more in Canadian waters and ports (which would include Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia until October 31, 2020.    That will surely put a crimp in Alaskan cruises by all the cruise lines.  

Need to read the fine print... this from the first ban 2 months ago

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc/backgrounder-covid-19-safety-requirements-commercial-passenger-vessels-ferries.html

"All commercial passenger vessels with a capacity of more than 12 passengers are prohibited from operating for non-essential purposes, such as tourism or recreational activities"

The 500 person capacity is to not affect the extensive ferry system we have here on the west coast

"Passenger vessels that may also be carrying essential cargo, or that are the only practical means for Canadians to access their homes, places of employment, or essential services. These vessels may continue to operate."

The intent was to eliminate cruise ships altogether, the 500 max restriction was to allow ferry traffic and other essential sailings, but not tourism sailings. This point has been missed by 99.99% of the "Canada restricts cruise ship" threads you see here on CC. 

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Need to read the fine print... this from the first ban 2 months ago

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/initiatives/covid-19-measures-updates-guidance-tc/backgrounder-covid-19-safety-requirements-commercial-passenger-vessels-ferries.html

"All commercial passenger vessels with a capacity of more than 12 passengers are prohibited from operating for non-essential purposes, such as tourism or recreational activities"

The 500 person capacity is to not affect the extensive ferry system we have here on the west coast

"Passenger vessels that may also be carrying essential cargo, or that are the only practical means for Canadians to access their homes, places of employment, or essential services. These vessels may continue to operate."

The intent was to eliminate cruise ships altogether, the 500 max restriction was to allow ferry traffic and other essential sailings, but not tourism sailings. This point has been missed by 99.99% of the "Canada restricts cruise ship" threads you see here on CC. 

The posted link is dated today, and this is what I see regarding cruise ships. I'm confused and trying to clarify if there's something I'm missing:

"Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020."

I agree with the Canadian ban.  We need to protect our country and our citizens.  Justin Trudeau our PM is speaking right now and he is saying that this ban is to protect our coastal communities from the very serious Covid 19.  Yes, he understands it will be a big hit to the economy but health is his primary focus right now.   We will all be better for this ban in the future. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

We had already decided to Lift and Shift Sept 4 Alaska; just haven't made the phone call yet. What are the odds they will cancel Alaska season in the next few days? I need to L&S by next Friday to push out Final Payment. Would be nice to get the 125% for booked Excursions.. (that I haven't cancelled, well I did cancel and rebook to lower price a month ago ..and still waiting on that refund :P)

14 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Was there ever a doubt this would be happening? Not a surprise.

Not a surprise to most of us but RCI didn't seem to get the memo as sailings from or with Canadian ports haven't been cancelled. Hoping the cancel prior to final payments many of us have coming due so we can get a refund and not an FCC. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

42 minutes ago, Meekomist said:

What are the odds they will cancel Alaska season in the next few days? I need to L&S by next Friday to push out Final Payment.

While normally I would have said very slim as they have been sticking to a 30 cancellation schedule I just checked and all Alaska sailings have been pulled from the website.  I would suspect an announcement soon.  Perhaps Wednesday on the travel agent webinar.

12 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

RCI didn't see to get the memo as sailings from or with Canadian ports haven't been cancelled.

They got the memo, they just chose to stick to their own 30 day rolling cancellation schedule.  FWIW all Alaska and Canada N/E sailings have been pulled from the website so I would expect an announcement soon

Edited by Ourusualbeach

15 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Not a surprise to most of us but RCI didn't seem to get the memo as sailings from or with Canadian ports haven't been cancelled. Hoping the cancel prior to final payments many of us have coming due so we can get a refund and not an FCC. 

you wouldn't want the 125% FCC if they cancel? We just moved our September 2020 NewEngland/Canada sailing to another different itinerary in 2022.........WE wouldn't have been able to use the 125% FCC had it been canceled anyway, since coupon woould only be good until December 2021 and we already have a another cruise on another cruiseline scheduled for September 2021.

Edited by Jimbo

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They got the memo, they just chose to stick to their own 30 day rolling cancellation schedule.  FWIW all Alaska sailings ahve been pulled from the website so I would expect an announcement soon

I saw that Alaska sailings have been pulled but Radiance TP that we're booked on from Vancouver Sept 4 still shows on the website. 

Just now, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I saw that Alaska sailings have been pulled but Radiance TP that we're booked on from Vancouver Sept 4 still shows on the website. 

We are scheduled on that sailing also and saw the same thing.

Final is due in the next week or so so maybe they want to grab those first?

1 minute ago, ECCruise said:

We are scheduled on that sailing also and saw the same thing.

Final is due in the next week or so so maybe they want to grab those first?

I'm sure they'd love to have more $$ in their pocket but, with this new announcement, they need to cancel. I've written to MBayley and hope others do too.  mbayley@rccl.com

Just now, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm sure they'd love to have more $$ in their pocket but, with this new announcement, they need to cancel. I've written to MBayley and hope others do too.  mbayley@rccl.com

Yes.

No way we can sail from YVR, but they probably want to hold out the carrot for "maybe Seattle will work."  And after final, deep six this one also.

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

They got the memo, they just chose to stick to their own 30 day rolling cancellation schedule.  FWIW all Alaska and Canada N/E sailings have been pulled from the website so I would expect an announcement soon

Strange, The cruise agency I book through still has Adventure of the Seas  September 24th 2020 as bookable.

Maybe a quick way for someone to pickup a 125% FCC Coupon.

Correct don't see it on RCCL anymore........

Edited by Jimbo