Post COVID-19 Muster Drills

Lupush

Wondering what muster drills will look like post COVID-19.  Does anyone think they might have guests do them from the TV's in their cabins?  This way always made sense to me, rather than clogging up traffic around 3 decks of the ship.  All the ships would have to do is create a separate video for each muster station and play the appropriate content in the guest room.  

Muster drills have always seemed to be an antiquated practice to me.  I think there are ways to use modern technology to relay the safety message and make it more convenient for passengers at the same time.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

The muster drills are not just for passengers.  They are part of crew training.  Practice is very important.

And, there are rules for muster drills as defined by SOLAS.

There is a chief engineer who often posts about the importance of muster drills (among other things).  I hope he sees this thread and responds.

Edited by puppycanducruise
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lupush said:

Wondering what muster drills will look like post COVID-19.  Does anyone think they might have guests do them from the TV's in their cabins?  This way always made sense to me, rather than clogging up traffic around 3 decks of the ship.  All the ships would have to do is create a separate video for each muster station and play the appropriate content in the guest room.  

Muster drills have always seemed to be an antiquated practice to me.  I think there are ways to use modern technology to relay the safety message and make it more convenient for passengers at the same time.

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

I think it’s very possible for the ships tv to become the epicenter of a lot of this stuff. It makes a lot more sense anyway. 

Right off the bat...

How would you ensure that people actually watch and pay attention to the drill on the TV instead of being in the bathroom, or sitting out on their balcony chatting, playing on their phone, or taking a nap?

Part of attending the drill is to ensure that you physically know how to get from your cabin to the muster station location and, once there, you know specifically where to go to check in. How would that be done on the television? 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Right off the bat...

How would you ensure that people actually watch and pay attention to the drill on the TV instead of being in the bathroom, or sitting out on their balcony chatting, playing on their phone, or taking a nap?

Part of attending the drill is to ensure that you physically know how to get from your cabin to the muster station location and, once there, you know specifically where to go to check in. How would that be done on the television? 

95% of the people I see a muster drills are not ever paying attention. If a ship were to go down it would be a complete cluster puck because most people are clueless

• Like 2

I've only attended two. 

On the Gem our small group could see the staff and their demonstration.  It was right next to the lifeboats.   It started on time, didn't take long. Only one person who complained that we were cutting into their drinking time  'cause heaven knows there wouldn't be enough for that over the course of the week.   :/

The next one was on the Escape, and our station was in the Atrium.  I could not believe how crowded it was, how rude people were, how late it started beyond the supposed start time. I am short and couldn't see a darn thing.  In an emergency, that would have been the last place I would want to be.   And then there's the cluster to use the elevators after - which we avoided.

Smaller, staggered groups has to be the future. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Right off the bat...

It’s just like on an airplane.  It’s your responsibility to watch the video and not be playing a game in your phone or listening to your headphones or whatever else you aren’t supposed to be doing during that time.  
they just have to show it.  

15 minutes ago, zqvol said:

I personally don't expect any changes because I don't think anyone is sailing until there is an effective vaccine.

👍  A decent vaccine (none are very high in efficacy and effectiveness) and a reliable therapeutic.

Capture.PNG.55cbdc1aac1216fc851ddb183a501e77.PNG

Also, since our 1st cruise with Disney in 2008, where we put on our life jackets and went through a 'dead-faced serious crew all the way through the muster drill, the quality of the muster drill (by the crew from the hallways to the staging areas) and the attentiveness of the passengers (same) has deteriorated dramatically.  Hopefully there will not be a serious, quick action nighttime situation to evacuate a ship by life boats.  It's going to go very, very and sadly bad.

Edited by Formula280SS

11 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Why is it impossible?

Because an effective vaccine may not be possible.  The flu vaccine isn’t really all that reliable.  Other countries have already restarted some sailings so I think the USA will certainly want to push to get it back open just like everything else.    
take the precautions you can and that’s about everything you can do 

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

95% of the people I see a muster drills are not ever paying attention. If a ship were to go down it would be a complete cluster puck because most people are clueless

There are just two things to understand. Where your muster station is and to do what you are told to do.

Actually even the first one isn't super important because in case they will tell you where to go. It is important for the crew and we guests are to help them train for the emergency, that is fair and time well spend. 

But don't pretend it is something we need to pay attention to or we are in danger. Every human can do the tasks expected from us on two braincells. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RaftingJeremy said:

It’s just like on an airplane.  It’s your responsibility to watch the video and not be playing a game in your phone or listening to your headphones or whatever else you aren’t supposed to be doing during that time.  
they just have to show it.  

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Based on your logic, should we, instead of having children participate in a fire drill at school, just show them a video of people walking out of the building? I mean, why walk them through the path to the exit and to the muster area when they can just watch TV, right?

Just like on an airplane? Based on your logic they should just show airline safety on a continuous loop on the TVs in the terminal instead of explaining to us on the airplane. No reason for the flight attendant to physically point out the exits when we can just watch TV, right?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Hurtigruten actually does their safety briefing in the terminal in Bergen before embarking the vessel. 

Hurtigruten operates under different SOLAS rules than ocean cruise ships, as the Hurtigruten ships are either RO/RO pax vessels, or ferries with less than 24 hour itineraries.

57 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Based on your logic, should we, instead of having children participate in a fire drill at school, just show them a video of people walking out of the building? I mean, why walk them through the path to the exit and to the muster area when they can just watch TV, right?

Just like on an airplane? Based on your logic they should just show airline safety on a continuous loop on the TVs in the terminal instead of explaining to us on the airplane. No reason for the flight attendant to physically point out the exits when we can just watch TV, right?

You haven’t been on an airplane in the last say 20 years?   Most of the safety demonstrations are done by video on an airplane.    It absolutely can be done by video.  

6 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

Most of the safety demonstrations are done by video on an airplane.    It absolutely can be done by video.  

But you do know that the way from your seat to the emergency exit is significantly shorter and easier then the way from your cabin to your muster station? And also the emergency exits on a plane are the same for every passenger. On a cruise ships there are different stations.

Tecnically it can be simply shown on a TV in the cabin,but it would be a bad idea to do so.

They should do the best they can to prepare the guests as good as possible for an emergency.

The difference between theory and practice can be seen in the case of costa concordia. I`ve been on costa ships 3 times and i found the muster drills rather good and professional. But in a real emergency most people do behave absolutely uncontrolable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

👍  A decent vaccine (none are very high in efficacy and effectiveness) and a reliable therapeutic.

Capture.PNG.55cbdc1aac1216fc851ddb183a501e77.PNG

Also, since our 1st cruise with Disney in 2008, where we put on our life jackets and went through a 'dead-faced serious crew all the way through the muster drill, the quality of the muster drill (by the crew from the hallways to the staging areas) and the attentiveness of the passengers (same) has deteriorated dramatically.  Hopefully there will not be a serious, quick action nighttime situation to evacuate a ship by life boats.  It's going to go very, very and sadly bad.

This virus is not at all related to the influenza viruses.  That chart means absolutely nothing with regards to this virus.  The flu is not caused by a corona virus.  Saying a covid vaccine is impossible due to the flu vaccine's results is like saying the measles vaccine is impossible due to the flu vaccine's results.  Polio and Smallpox have been wiped out due to a vaccine.  

15 minutes ago, gizfish said:

This virus is not at all related to the influenza viruses.  Well, they are all Viruses (read links). That chart means absolutely nothing with regards to this virus.  "I" never said it did; rather, the importance of the Efficacy of such.  Please read more carefully.  The flu is not caused by a corona virus. "I" never said it did; rather, the importance of the Efficacy of such.  Please read more carefully.  Saying a covid vaccine is impossible due to the flu vaccine's results is like saying the measles vaccine is impossible due to the flu vaccine's results. Again, never said that; you inserted such.  Polio and Smallpox have been wiped out due to a vaccine.  Again, never stated otherwise.

Related, re: Polio - it takes two doses of inactivated polio vaccine (IPV) to be 90% effective or more against polio; three doses are 99% to 100% effective. A person is considered to be fully vaccinated if he or she has received: four doses of any combination of IPV and tOPV.  The World Health Organization has announced that type 3 poliovirus has been eradicated worldwide. For polio to be fully eradicated, all three wild polio strains — types 1, 2, and 3 — need to stop circulating.

Re: small pox, it is one of two infectious diseases that have successfully been eradicated: smallpox and rinderpest. There are also four ongoing programs, targeting poliomyelitis, yaws, dracunculiasis, and malaria.

Well, your Doctoral Degree must be better than the national Doctors, Epidemiologist, Virologist, etc. on the news, media and print, that are saying that the vaccine may not be a cure (as in the examples you cite) and the focus on the importance of its' level of efficacy as well as the importance of a therapeutic.

FULLY STAND BY THE ACTUAL POST - Adding for clarity to for some "UNLESS."

"A decent vaccine (none are "UNLESS" very high in efficacy and effectiveness) and a reliable therapeutic."

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/question-and-answers-hub/q-a-detail/q-a-similarities-and-differences-covid-19-and-influenza?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz-b7qITp6QIVAdvACh1jPQGNEAAYASAAEgJQ1fD_BwE

And - 

https://www.biopharmadive.com/news/coronavirus-vaccine-herd-immunity-covid-19/577312/

"If immune responses are seen, however, how much protection will they offer patients? Porges, for one, isn't expecting much. The first vaccines, he argued, may be virtual "prototypes" that will lead to improved second- and third-generation products capable of providing herd immunity.

Ideally, Offit said, a coronavirus vaccine will be able to prevent infections in 70% to 80% of the people who get it. But a lower threshold has been beneficial in other infectious diseases. "The current flu vaccine is 50% effective," he said. "But it's a virus that will kill 40,000 to 50,000 people a year in the United States so even 50% has value."

Orenstein offered a similar threshold. "Any vaccine that has reasonable efficacy, say 50% or higher, would be beneficial, and a lot of people might say lower than that.""

5 hours ago, Lupush said:

Wondering what muster drills will look like post COVID-19.  Does anyone think they might have guests do them from the TV's in their cabins?  This way always made sense to me, rather than clogging up traffic around 3 decks of the ship.  All the ships would have to do is create a separate video for each muster station and play the appropriate content in the guest room.  Muster drills have always seemed to be an antiquated practice to me.  I think there are ways to use modern technology to relay the safety message and make it more convenient for passengers at the same time. Thoughts?

The biggest part of the safety drill is to ensure that YOU know where to go in the event of an emergency. You would not get that watching TV in your room. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, zqvol said:

I personally don't expect any changes because I don't think anyone is sailing until there is an effective vaccine.

River cruises already started in germany.  There is no time to wait for a vaccine that probably wont work. 

Edited by Navyskip