People watching....

James4me

DH and I like to have a drink (or two) at Alchemy Bar before late seating and watch the people all dressed up on Elegant Night getting their pictures taken.  Some are having a good time doing silly poses and I love the little kids all dolled up.  It's almost dinner and a show!😄

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I love women's shoes. No, not in a weird way, I just love shoes and when I was working I had a ton of them. I love nothing more than finding a seat along a busy passageway on Elegant night and watch the parade of cute shoes!

Do you want to see shoes? DO YOU WANT TO SEE SHOES?? Take a look. This is from our 5 day cruise on the Dream last July. I took 4 pairs of shoes....1 to many. :classic_laugh: P.S. Those are Mrs.Joe817's.

20190727_215736.jpg

Edited by Joe817
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The first thing we do on a Carnival cruise is go to the lobby bar for a few drinks. It is a great location to watch people board the ship and to watch the various reactions of people when they first get on the ship. Unfortunately you don’t get to watch people board the ship on Spirit class ships due to the location of the lobby bar. 

That's a good idea. I like seeing people's reactions when they see things for the first time. We took our son's friend on his first cruise a couple years ago and I made a point to watch his reaction when we got off the gangway and walked through the door into the Lobby. 17 years old, a big smile crossed his face, and the only thing that came out was, "Wow!" He ended up loving the cruise and said he can't wait to take his own family some day. Oftentimes we forget how great something is after we've seen it many times. Watching people's reactions seeing something for the first time helps me get that feeling back.

2 hours ago, ChosenOne said:

we like to sit on the Promenade deck and count how many people are wearing Hawaiian shirts!

Add me to your count. I love my Hawaiian shirts. They're comfortable, lightweight, and help me keep cool. Perfect for a cruise. I even have a couple really nice ones that are great for the MDR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Do you want to see shoes? DO YOU WANT TO SEE SHOES?? Take a look. This is from our 5 day cruise on the Dream last July. I took 4 pairs of shoes....1 to many. :classic_laugh: P.S. Those are Mrs.Joe817's.

20190727_215736.jpg

Me when I look at that picture: All those shoes look pretty much the same and serve the same purpose.

My wife if she looked at that picture: No, those are for this type of outfit, those are for that type of outfit, those are for the beach, those are just comfy walking shoes, etc. etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

20190727_215736.jpg

I'd say that was a good start. 😉

• Haha 1

Our routine has been this forever. Check out of hotel around a time to arrive at the terminal around 1030-1045am. Boarding with our platinum status we breeze right thru check in, and on our way up the ramp to the ship. Luggage gets dropped off and then on to the Lido deck. Find a table outside, sit down have lunch and the first drink of the cruise. Now why I watch people, I don’t actually look at people, I like to see what their t-shirt says. Enjoy watching people so happy beginning a cruise, the looks on the kids faces when they are on board maybe their first ship. Then there are the ones struggling with more than one carry on and a small child hanging on. All in all an interesting first hour or so on board.

Edited by skrufy
Correct sentence
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, naxer said:

On a conquest class ship, with the raked seating around the pool, I can sit the whole sea day just watching the activities, dancing, interactions, the line at Guy's, the bar flies, posers, in-love seniors, fighting couples, the waiters, people carrying food, people trying to get drinks, chair hogs, swimmers, the good looking fun squad, all a little buzzed from the steady flow of margaritas.  So...I guess...maybe you?

Yes for sure! All of this and also watching the parade of people going to the dining room on Elegant-ish Night whatever that means to folks. Carnival is the premier line for people watching.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, naxer said:

On a conquest class ship, with the raked seating around the pool, I can sit the whole sea day just watching the activities, dancing, interactions, the line at Guy's, the bar flies, posers, in-love seniors, fighting couples, the waiters, people carrying food, people trying to get drinks, chair hogs, swimmers, the good looking fun squad, all a little buzzed from the steady flow of margaritas.  So...I guess...maybe you?

Well...you don't actually watch the chair hogs because they're never in the chairs that they're holding. LOL 🤪

But seriously, the "terraced" deck levels overlooking the pool are our favorite feature on Conquest class ships. It really does make for a great place to hang out and watch people, deck parties, activities, etc.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

I'm just the opposite. I rather tune most people out and place my focus on my spouse & vacation...

✌️

I also focus on my spouse but there are many times where she's not with me- early in the morning or when she's sunbathing for instance (we're together but she's laying there with her eyes closed and doesn't want to talk, so I watch people since laying in the sun isn't one of my things).

My wife and I people watch. It seems perfectly normal to us; just little snippets of life as people pass by. Our three adult children, however, find it rude, and will fuss about it whenever they "catch" us doing it. I then like to point out that there are likely people watching them at that moment. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My favorite place to people watch is any large international airport, especially IAH and ORD.  So many people from all over the world.

On a cruise I like to get a seat on the Lido by a window, watch the ocean while I eat breakfast, and watch people mill around the buffet.  Their days are just starting, most are happy, it's a bit early to already be angry with the spouse, etc.  

I love it when two ships are docked across from each other, with the pier running between them.  I stand out on my balcony watching the people board, the eventual pier runners, people on the other ship waving back.  

Some of my fave cruise memories are from people watching.  On the Spirit in 2002, the odd couple with the two teenage daughters that were not twins but wore the exact same dress all 8 days, like they only brought one or had 8 copies, that never talked to each other or anyone else and refused to smile at anyone.  We saw them everywhere.  And the lady losing her mind at guest services because her child had used the cabin phone to call friends back home and run up some huge bill. 

I'm so ready to go.  Can't wait til Oct 10.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chief93 said:

Some of my fave cruise memories are from people watching.  On the Spirit in 2002, the odd couple with the two teenage daughters that were not twins but wore the exact same dress all 8 days, like they only brought one or had 8 copies, that never talked to each other or anyone else and refused to smile at anyone.  We saw them everywhere.  

Sounds like the two girls from "The Shining" 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Two things.  I am one of the early morning coffee guys at the Lido Café and it is generally the same folks.  Also fun for us to watch people in their finery on "Elegant" nights.  Especially the beautiful young couples.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chief93 said:

And the lady losing her mind at guest services because her child had used the cabin phone to call friends back home and run up some huge bill. 

IMO the BEST people watching on a cruise ship is to grab a seat around 10:00am near Guest Services and just watch and listen.  The complaints are incredible!  People will say anything to try to get something for free.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 4:59 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

I love the "dance like no one is watching" folks.

I was on a princess cruise and there was a lady who turned out to be 60 years old.  I thought she was around 40.  She obviously loved music and just danced by herself.  Always with her eyes closed.  Just feelin the music.  A couple of other women were laughing at her and trying to video her so my daughter and I "danced" into their shot.  Then later they were all nicey nicey to her.  But anyway, I wish I was her and could "dance like no one was watching"

• Like 6

On my last cruise we were having a drink right after we got on.  Sitting in the atrium watching the people.  We noticed a grandma in a wheel chair with a couple teenage boys pushing her and one or two ladies.    We saw them everywhere, usually with the boys pushing Grandma.  My daughter mentioned to one of the ladies that we enjoyed watching the boy interact with grandma and the lady, grandmas daughter said that Grandma and Grandpa were suppose to go on a cruise and Grandpa died.  Grandma decided to still go (if I am remembering right it's been a year and 1/2)  so the family came along. 

• Like 3

On 6/5/2020 at 1:48 PM, Organized Chaos said:

I like seeing people's reactions when they see things for the first time.

+1

And how about when they actually see a cruise ship for the first time? Thinking back about all the times going to different ships from the airport and all the chatter going to the port:

"Do you see our ship?"

"Yay I see it!"

"Where, I don't see it"

"You mean that big building?"

"OMG it's so huge!"

"OH it's so beautiful!"

"This is so great!"

"I can't wait to get onboard!"

"I'M SO HAPPY!"

😁😁

• Like 3

I love watching the “nothing fights” between couples. I have a knack for sitting/standing next to two people that need a break from each other 🤣🤣 I don’t know if I’m drawn to it or they are drawn to me but I spend most of my day on cruise ships trying not to laugh. Who hasn’t had a nothing fight with a partner before ? 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, beachbum6264 said:

We have friends who we have cruised with several times. We like to make up the backstory for 'interesting' people/couples/groups.  A few drinks in and the stories get pretty interesting! 

I'll bet they can get hysterical! Kind of like "Mystery Science Theater 20"?

• Like 1

I have been Cruising since 1975 and i am fascinated in watching guests reaction to the changing demographics of guests that do not reflect their background or lifestyle or are "different" .sharing space on a Cruise Ship in a confine space for 7 days can bring out the very best or very worse in Human Nature 

of course in the"early" days of Cruising ( Love Boat era ) of 1st time guests commenting out loud that what they thought (based on the Love Boat) and what they actually experienced are very  different things ( i.e. size of their cabins, lido deck pools etc , in the show guest by the pool are thin) 

trying to figure out couples who have a wide age gap difference and discovering they are not grandfather, just graduated from college granddaughter 

I do alot of full charter Jazz Cruises ..when we pull into Port , I love watching the reaction of the guests on other Ships in Port  when they read the back of our Jazz T-Shirts listing the Artists that are performing onboard for the week 

when Cruising during Hurricane Season, watching some guests becoming highly agitated when due to weather we are forced to skip a Port and other guests elated of having another full day at sea 

when cruising to Europe on a non American mainstream Cruise Line ( when Americans are in a distinct minority ) how engaging fellow guests are to ask if they can practice their English with you and being I am from New Orleans to ask about Jazz and Hurricane Katrina 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chief93 said:

On the Spirit in 2002, the odd couple with the two teenage daughters that were not twins but wore the exact same dress all 8 days, 

Perhaps they washed them in the sink every night and had portable toothbrushes.  They might have been in training to be the Jack Reachers of cruising.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Chief93 said:

And the lady losing her mind at guest services because her child had used the cabin phone to call friends back home and run up some huge bill. 

NO CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR YOU THIS YEAR!

• Haha 1