MDR dining once operations resume

Cruise Raider

I've read a lot about new hand sanitization stations being installed, especially around the dining areas, as well as making the buffets with a lot less self service areas, if not closed down completely.  Cleaning protocols in all food service areas will be stepped up, according to all cruise lines.  

But, I was wondering how they are handling the 'do you wish to share' table options for anytime dining and table assignments with strangers for traditional dining.  You could almost guarantee a much shorter wait time in the anytime dining rooms if you are willing to share with other passengers.  I know that for some people, it is imperative to  dine with strangers when they cruise; that's why they go, to meet other people and that is just fine and dandy.  We've actually made lifelong friends at our dinner table in those days when traditional dining was our only option.   We now would prefer a table of our own and only really like to share a table when we go with other couples or families.  And, when we find a wait team that we love, we tend to request their station every night.  Some cruise lines are better at accommodating our request provided we agree to show up at the same time each evening and let them know ahead of time if we have made alternate plans for a specific evening.  Princess used to do that for us but, that has changed drastically over the last few of years ... ever since they bumped the traditional dining times up by UP to an hour.  It's too inconsistent now, which has created a lot of traditional diners to just try to go to the anytime dining rooms, creating even longer wait times for a table, and it seems, especially for a table for 2.  

I'm not sure if anyone knows the real answer to this but, do you think Princess will have more tables for 2 or 4 available in anytime and even in traditional dining?  Will standard reservation times become more the norm?  Seems like that will turn the clock back to a more traditional style dining but, I wonder if this would be a viable option.  ???  I wonder if more people will be able order off the dining menu as a room service option.  Again ???   Maybe there be a sit down option in the buffet area with table service?  Maybe they will add another show so dining can even be spaced out better over time?  

I guess time will tell .... 

We switched to ATD as soon as Princess offered it.  It was not bad when first offered but as more and more pax switched to ATD the lines became longer.  About 3 or so years ago we switched back to TD and love it.  The same waiter staff, same table and same pax at the table is very appealing.  I would expect that the big tables (10, 8 and even 6) will go away as more pax do not want to share their table with strangers.  I imagine those larger tables will disappear.  This will be interesting.

HAL has always had more of a cafeteria style as opposed to the buffet style.  You get your tray and move alone a line where servers stand behind the hot tables and put food on your plate according to your request.  There was a couple of areas where pax could serve themselves.  I think that this will come as well to Princess and no more serving yourself.  Among other things it will cut down on noro being passed around.  

All speculation of course as we wait until they make a decision, redo the MDR and/or buffet areas to hold down the spread of different viruses.  I just hope Princess returns to sailing again in 2021.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what if the mdr's opened at say 6:00 am and stayed open continuously thru say 10:00 pm ?

kinda, sorta like a Cracker Barrell type restaurant ??

Hmmmm?  That would be different ... not sure what a Cracker Barrel type restaurant is as I've never seen one.  

Just now, JF - retired RRT said:

Think Denny's with more "kitsch".

Well, I wouldn't be overly excited with that.  But, there have been cruises where we've not ever gone to the dining room even once.  That isn't our norm but, it's happened.  I actually see myself going to a variety of the other dining options, including Alfredos, the grill, the IC, specialty restaurants and depending on how they configure the MDR and buffet, then those as well.  If I have a balcony, I wouldn't mind just taking my food back to my cabin.  

Well, we're all just speculating, but that's more fun than complaining about delayed refunds, missing FCC, or an unplanned two week stay at Travis . . . 

I personally expect that ATD will disappear for a bit.  It's just too difficult to manage the unpredictable arrival of people / desire to do a cleaning between services.  I'm guessing the entire ship will move back to some version of TD at least for a while.  

Likewise, I can't see shared tables being the 'norm' for a while.  For family groups traveling together - sure.  For everyone else, too much risk.  

One thing I've not noticed anyone else comment on is port day lunches.  In recent years the MDR has been closed most port days - a bummer for those of us who often stay onboard but are forced to fall back to burgers or Horizon for a mid day meal.  My guess is MDR's will operate daily for lunch both the lighten the load on Horizon, and also to spread folks out on the ship.

Pub lunches and "Alfredo's in Sabatini's" undoubtedly will also change or disappear.  Perhaps they'll be done, by reservation only.  Perhaps they'll be done, but in an MDR instead of in one of the specialty venues.  I doubt they will be done with the massive queuing that's been normal in the past.  To be honest, changes of this sort would be a vast improvement to the experience particularly for the pub lunch.  I doubt that anyone really loves juggling a plate of fish & chips, a couple pints of beer and all the rest on a tiny cocktail table in the lounge right?

All of these alternatives work better with lighter passenger loads and I fully expect the first several months after return to service to see ships limited to a fraction of normal capacity.  RCI let the cat out of the bag by saying they make a profit on their giant ships with just 30% pax load, the Princess size ships they have to fill to 50% to break even.  I expect they all will start up sailing <65% full with a return to full loads not happening until many month (years) in the future.  

I sort of wonder whether there will ever be another inside or view / no balcony cabin built.  Don't get me wrong, the majority of our days were in OV obstructed view cabins, but in the worst case scenario nobody wants to be confined to a cabin without some fresh air and sunlight.   

Just my thoughts.   

• Like 1

Interesting topic.  We are among those that prefer to dine at larger tables (6 or 8 is ideal)..often with strangers.  For us it is a lot of fun, we love to socialize, and have made many long term friends at ship dining tables.  But we think that OP probably represents a large group who will now want to avoid group dining.  We assume that the demand for 2-tops will increase and there is a finite limit to how many 2-tops exist in the MDRs.  Assuming a ship is near full, those who want a 2-top will likely find themselves having a longer wait and those of us who love to share will likely have little or no wait (which is pretty normal even pre Covid-19)

Will Princess (and other lines) provide more 2-tops?  If they are wise (a very debatable subject) they should try and increase the number of 2-tops in their MDRs.  But there are limitations based on the available space and number of cruisers.   And if they cram in lots of 2 tops they would likely be so close together that it would defeat the purpose.  This is the case on Celebrity in "Blu" (the dedicated restaurant for Aqua Class) where most of the tables are 2-tops but you are actually closer to many folks then you would be at a larger table.   

Hank

• Like 1

nobody knows... the rules aren't written yet and people are starting to try to figure out what is possible... 

For example, it's not only being six feet away from the next table, you actually have to be able to get to that table... so your aisles need to be wider too.

I just picked up dinner from our local Chinese restaurant. They're still to-go only. They could reopen for dine-in, but at 25% capacity - they only have 28 seats to begin with (your typical 1 bay wide strip mall place)...they could have a 4 top and a 3 top along one wall. That's it.... but... if you put the tables near the left wall, you can't safely get to the restroom. If you put them on the right wall, you can't exit/enter the kitchen. If you use only the two tables at the front, the left one is too close to the door.

I suspect if you are a licensed naval architect you are working 18 hour days and turning away business left and right.

I believe we will see no anytime dining, and three traditional dining times.  4PM, 6PM and 8PM.  In addition, the main dining room, nor the buffet, will be available to everyone every night.  For example, a seven night cruise would require dining in the MDR four nights and three at the buffet or a specialty restaurant.  This would probably require specialty restaurants to be included in the cruise fare.  Availability for the specialty restaurants would be based on Captain's Club level and cabin level.  Reservations for your three buffet or specialty restaurant nights would be made online prior to sailing.

18 minutes ago, Cuedon said:

Do they allow locking in a 2-person table for traditional dining?

When you book the cruise, you can request a table for 2.

When the tables are assigned, getting one will depend on the supply and the demand.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cuedon said:

Do they allow locking in a 2-person table for traditional dining?

Yes they do as I have had one in the past but there was a number of tables near each other so they might have to remove some of those tables to maintain 6’ between them. 

Tom😀

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, satxdiver said:

We switched to ATD as soon as Princess offered it.  It was not bad when first offered but as more and more pax switched to ATD the lines became longer.  About 3 or so years ago we switched back to TD and love it.  The same waiter staff, same table and same pax at the table is very appealing.  I would expect that the big tables (10, 8 and even 6) will go away as more pax do not want to share their table with strangers.  I imagine those larger tables will disappear.  This will be interesting.

HAL has always had more of a cafeteria style as opposed to the buffet style.  You get your tray and move alone a line where servers stand behind the hot tables and put food on your plate according to your request.  There was a couple of areas where pax could serve themselves.  I think that this will come as well to Princess and no more serving yourself.  Among other things it will cut down on noro being passed around.  

All speculation of course as we wait until they make a decision, redo the MDR and/or buffet areas to hold down the spread of different viruses.  I just hope Princess returns to sailing again in 2021.  

We switched back as well after years of ATD also. Princess changed the late seating to 7:15 or & 7:30 from the previous 8:15 slot which helped our decision. We agree that the whole ATD process became a bit uncomfortable after a while. 

It should be interesting to see how the whole cruise experience changes once the ships return to service. I think the return really won't come until an effective preventative for the virus is available. Let's hope sooner than later.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, loge23 said:

We switched back as well after years of ATD also. Princess changed the late seating to 7:15 or & 7:30 from the previous 8:15 slot which helped our decision. We agree that the whole ATD process became a bit uncomfortable after a while. 

Interesting, I completely missed those Traditional times. Amazing, since there were many long threads discussing new Traditional times. Just checked a current booking and saw 5:00 and 7:15 as Traditional options. We have never done Traditional, too early or too late. 7:15 would be just fine, I suppose we'd need to book early to get it.

15 hours ago, HUNKY said:

I believe we will see no anytime dining, and three traditional dining times.  4PM, 6PM and 8PM.  In addition, the main dining room, nor the buffet, will be available to everyone every night.  For example, a seven night cruise would require dining in the MDR four nights and three at the buffet or a specialty restaurant.  This would probably require specialty restaurants to be included in the cruise fare.  Availability for the specialty restaurants would be based on Captain's Club level and cabin level.  Reservations for your three buffet or specialty restaurant nights would be made online prior to sailing.

Very interesting, Specialty restaurants often have empty tables, in your suggestion they might be used more efficiently. So possibly not too much of a price increase to be included in cruise fare. Juggling a variety of Dinner times would not be too onerous. Sometimes eat early and sometimes eat late - could not deal with 4:00 though 🙂

Edited by Tedferg
addition

Further to HUNKY's suggestion, maybe Horizon could be repurposed at dinner time to have more casual but limited choices with table service, to accommodate 6 feet spacing. Especially since extra spacing will mean fewer tables in MDR and Specialty.

I see a problem with breakfasts on port days. 

I don't like this 'Availability for the specialty restaurants would be based on Captain's Club level and cabin level.' Perhaps another premium layer like current Plus to include Specialty restaurants versus Horizon.

Edited by Tedferg

37 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

So possibly not too much of a price increase to be included in cruise fare.

17 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

don't like this 'Availability for the specialty restaurants would be based on Captain's Club level and cabin level.' Perhaps another premium layer like current Plus to include Specialty restaurants

currently Princess Plus is priced at $ 40 pp pd … so how much can you add to that … and wouldn't that create an over-capacity in the specialty restaurants ?   or is my way of thinking that ' a lot ' of people get the Plus Package … if any of this even makes any sense ...

14 minutes ago, voljeep said:

currently Princess Plus is priced at $ 40 pp pd … so how much can you add to that … and wouldn't that create an over-capacity in the specialty restaurants ?   or is my way of thinking that ' a lot ' of people get the Plus Package … if any of this even makes any sense ...

Good points and I am just thinking out loud. I just feel it should be more of a level playing field for specialty restaurants, rather than Elites etc. getting preferred access. We are Platinum and Elite is a long way off. But I am not biased by this, I just think in future 'changed' times, anyone should be able to pay a premium on a per cruise basis. Or better yet, don't have any preferential treatment. Bump cruise price a little for Specialty and first come first served on a pre-booked basis. Perhaps a bonus for booking early. I am probably stressing the 'preference' point too much, I like HUNKY's general idea.

22 hours ago, jondfk said:

Well, we're all just speculating, but that's more fun than complaining about delayed refunds, missing FCC, or an unplanned two week stay at Travis . . . 

I personally expect that ATD will disappear for a bit.  It's just too difficult to manage the unpredictable arrival of people / desire to do a cleaning between services.  I'm guessing the entire ship will move back to some version of TD at least for a while.  

Likewise, I can't see shared tables being the 'norm' for a while.  For family groups traveling together - sure.  For everyone else, too much risk.  

One thing I've not noticed anyone else comment on is port day lunches.  In recent years the MDR has been closed most port days - a bummer for those of us who often stay onboard but are forced to fall back to burgers or Horizon for a mid day meal.  My guess is MDR's will operate daily for lunch both the lighten the load on Horizon, and also to spread folks out on the ship.

Pub lunches and "Alfredo's in Sabatini's" undoubtedly will also change or disappear.  Perhaps they'll be done, by reservation only.  Perhaps they'll be done, but in an MDR instead of in one of the specialty venues.  I doubt they will be done with the massive queuing that's been normal in the past.  To be honest, changes of this sort would be a vast improvement to the experience particularly for the pub lunch.  I doubt that anyone really loves juggling a plate of fish & chips, a couple pints of beer and all the rest on a tiny cocktail table in the lounge right?

All of these alternatives work better with lighter passenger loads and I fully expect the first several months after return to service to see ships limited to a fraction of normal capacity.  RCI let the cat out of the bag by saying they make a profit on their giant ships with just 30% pax load, the Princess size ships they have to fill to 50% to break even.  I expect they all will start up sailing <65% full with a return to full loads not happening until many month (years) in the future.  

I sort of wonder whether there will ever be another inside or view / no balcony cabin built.  Don't get me wrong, the majority of our days were in OV obstructed view cabins, but in the worst case scenario nobody wants to be confined to a cabin without some fresh air and sunlight.   

Just my thoughts.   

I have booked obstructed view using Renees chart to pick the best one. Got some great deals but no more. Balcony from now on, probably a mini suite to get the chair and better bathroom. 

the larger ships cant accommodate everyone in two fixed seatings. They didnt want to build bigger dining rooms. Now they are going to have a problem unless Horizon Court is turned into a thinning room, which will be last choice for most people. Book late and get that? I would not go on the cruise if I could not be seated in one of the main dining rooms.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Very interesting, Specialty restaurants often have empty tables, in your suggestion they might be used more efficiently. So possibly not too much of a price increase to be included in cruise fare. Juggling a variety of Dinner times would not be too onerous. Sometimes eat early and sometimes eat late - could not deal with 4:00 though 🙂

You'd think the specialty restaurants aren't at capacity due to having empty tables but in the last several cruises we've been on, they said they were full and wouldn't take any reservations.  When we walked by, they always seemed to have several empty tables.  I believe their capacity must be based on staffing and not on empty tables.  

I actually like the 4 PM, 6 PM and 8 PM dining options, although, as you mention, it might be too onerous.  I would gladly accept the 6 PM dining time but, when they changed it from 6 PM to 5 PM and the 8 PM was changed to 7:15 PM, anytime dining had to take over as our go to dining.  But, it's been a challenge to get a table at 6 PM, which our preferred time.  5 PM is too early for me and the 7:15 is too late for my DH.  Several times, we just had to skip it altogether.  I just can't imagine how everyone would get fed during those dining hours, while implementing the distancing of tables and providing more tables for two and four, without changing the buffet into a service restaurant as well with an MDR menu available.  Maybe, at first, they will have to limit the capacity of those sailing on each cruise.  I'd be fine with any one of these options.  There have been times we were seated with people that were coughing and sneezing at a shared table ... I've had to get up and just ask to be reseated.  Now, I wouldn't hesitate to do so in a minute!  Better to be safe than sorry.  

Cruise Raider, just to be clear, I said would NOT be too onerous. WE travel with another couple and they tend to eat later than we do. We have compromised and choose a middle ground aiming for 7:00 in Anytime. We like a drink before dinner so waiting is not a problem and we seem more often to be seated at 7:15 or a little later. My thought was if we ate at 6:00 sometimes and 8:00 other times plus Specialty at 7:00 , then we could live with that.

I understand that Specialty, like all restaurants have empty tables to balance staffing levels but in the proposed scenario, with fewer tables in MDR, then Specialty could fill more tables. 

Edited by Tedferg

My state recently reopened restaurants with restrictions, and I would expect that something similar would be carried out in the MDRs. So extrapolating from our guidelines, currently you must have a reservation to be seated in a restaurant in Delaware. Therefore, traditional dining only. Probably an extra seating. Tables need to be 6' apart. I've also heard of partitions being erected, like plexiglass between tables. You can only be seated with people in your family here, so maybe you can be seated with the folks you're traveling with. I think many of the large tables would need to be replaced with smaller tables. I've not been out to a restaurant yet, but you need to wear a mask until you're seated. Waitstaff must wear masks. We are only allowed to have 30% capacity according to the fire code rating, which might not be an issue in the MDR if ships are sailing at 60% capacity or less. Might even be factored into the decision of how many can sail. Single use menus. No napkins or anything can be placed on the table before people are seated. That's my guess.

• Like 1

We enjoy eating in our stateroom, particularly for breakfast.  However, with the recent furniture deletions, unless you book the large balcony or a mini suite, you would have to eat on the floor or on your bed.

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

We enjoy eating in our stateroom, particularly for breakfast.  However, with the recent furniture deletions, unless you book the large balcony or a mini suite, you would have to eat on the floor or on your bed.

We are like you we have breakfast in our cabin, have been doing this for years now.  We do not go the MDR any more... once menu became less interesting we have split our main day meal between buffet and the Crown Grill.   Some days we simply do Room Service for our main day meal.   I would like Princess to expand the menu for breakfast to include eggs options (HAL has done it for years), plus expand the all day Room Service menu as well.  I could see us doing more Room Service in the future with more choices.  We only eat 2 meals a day.   Some times we have purchased food items in port and brought on board and enjoyed on our balcony.  We always book a mini suite.  Think cruise lines might encourage more in room dining and add tables/chair to make easier in other cabins beside mini suite.