Has anyone else been assigned a new PCC?

taba

2 minutes ago, Reagan0712 said:

Never had a PCC. What exactly can they do besides making the booking?  I’ve always just called HAL and booked with whoever picked up, as I did with the cruise I just booked this week. The people I’ve dealt with have been very knowledgeable and helpful.  Now I get an email from a guy named Collin informing me he’s my new PCC.  Is it worth giving him a call even though I’ve already booked the cruise or just to check in with him?

Personally, I like dealing with the same agent (PCC) as that way they get to know you and your preferrences.  Also, I get to know what they can and cannot do well.

I totally agree with DaveOKC.  Every HAL cruise we booked with our PCC I felt the we got the best cabin at the best price.  Usually if there was a 'sale' going on (ie drink package, OBC and or gratuities) we would opt out and get a much, much better cabin price.  And he knew what we wanted were usually able to book a cabin in an area of the ship we preferred. 

We haven't looked in to cruising quite yet so hopefully that PCC is still with the company when we start searching again.

10 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

And if they HAVE been let go, their email and phone number will be useless, so you can't phone and ask them if they've been let go, LOL, as has been suggested.

If you can't get through to your PCC, simply call the PCC main line, dial 0, and you'll get an available PCC. Just ask them whether your PCC is still with HAL.

2 hours ago, Paulinda said:

I totally agree with DaveOKC.  Every HAL cruise we booked with our PCC I felt the we got the best cabin at the best price.  Usually if there was a 'sale' going on (ie drink package, OBC and or gratuities) we would opt out and get a much, much better cabin price.  And he knew what we wanted were usually able to book a cabin in an area of the ship we preferred.

I agree with Paulinda and DaveOKC w/r/t working with the same very qualified PCC. I like working with the same person cruise after cruise, and I know that they won't lose interest in my needs once the cruise is booked. They're also great at answering inside questions about HAL or FlightEase.

Reagan, your experience is much the same as mine.  The people I reach via the 800 number are friendly, knowledgeable, and always available.  

In an effort to support local bricks and mortar TA's, I used to use one.  She then became unresponsive, so I stopped.  The one before told me I knew more than she did, so I stopped with her too.  

I suppose the answer to the 10-12% question above, is that I want control and availability.

Can't wait to be back on a ship!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

And if they HAVE been let go, their email and phone number will be useless, so you can't phone and ask them if they've been let go, LOL, as has been suggested.          Duh 🙂

Unless, of course, you have a working relationship which enabled you to know how to reach him or her

Edited by sail7seas

I’ll give him a call to see what this special offer is that he mentioned in the email. I have a feeling it’s nothing more than a let’s get you booked again with the current offering.  What I’d really like is the ability to keep contacting a couple of the people I’ve dealt with when calling the 800 number.  Thanks for the input.

Well, I won’t be using a PCC anytime soon.  After trying numerous times yesterday to call him, I emailed and explained that because of him being on west coast and me on east coast instead of playing telephone tag how about he just reply with special offer.  He did and, as I suspected, it was the Have It All that they’re currently running. Then he said that if I called today at 5pm EST he’d be available to speak to me.  

At 5pm I proceeded to call for 7 minutes straight, it went to voice mail each time.  So I sent another email asking why he asked me to call at 5 if he wasn’t going to be available.  At 5:30p he leaves me a message saying he wants to discuss the Have It All...and never even mentions not answering at the time he told me to call!

In between I called the 800 number with the questions I had about the booking I made last week and Vanessa took care of everything in about 5 minutes.  800 number from now on for me.

Several years ago I started just booking directly with the cruise company. I tried using a local TA knowing it was basically the same price whether I used her or booked directly - not a big box store,  a local company. She wasn't used to dealing with a customer like me who basically knew what they wanted, gave her several itineraries and dates to check and then was ready to book. She was used to doing more of the work and I knew what I wanted before even calling. I think she also liked certain cruise lines better and would try and influence - and try to upsell the cabin category. (perhaps got a better commission?) It was just easier to book directly by calling the 800 #s with several cruise lines. I now have PCCs with 2 of them. I didn't even know PCC's existed until several years ago and would be just as happy calling the 800 #s.

When we resumed cruising five years ago with HAL we were assigned a PCC. She was available to us for around eight months when i received a call from a different PCC. Ater a few months I received an email from a third PCC stating that she was our new PCC. Less than TWO weeks later I received a mailing with business card from another new PCC!  All during this time we were cruising about twice a year.

Then a bit over three years ago I heard from Michael as our PCC and had used him exclusively since then. Michael was originally a cruise director and with HAL I gathered about fifteen years. I  would call him when receiving mailings or email offers. With some he advised that we would be paying more - or saving with others. Just what you want!

Last Friday I heard from our new PCC.  Michael had moved to a different department (?) and that this gentleman was now our PCC. At first I thought it was a cold call, must be a new employee. But in conversation found he also had 15+ years but was based in FL vs. Seattle. As of now I am checking on travel insurance and considering a cruise in Northern Europe for early Fall.

12 hours ago, vswan said:

Several years ago I started just booking directly with the cruise company. I tried using a local TA knowing it was basically the same price whether I used her or booked directly - not a big box store,  a local company. She wasn't used to dealing with a customer like me who basically knew what they wanted, gave her several itineraries and dates to check and then was ready to book. She was used to doing more of the work and I knew what I wanted before even calling. I think she also liked certain cruise lines better and would try and influence - and try to upsell the cabin category. (perhaps got a better commission?) It was just easier to book directly by calling the 800 #s with several cruise lines. I now have PCCs with 2 of them. I didn't even know PCC's existed until several years ago and would be just as happy calling the 800 #s.

I'm sorry that that is what you got from your local TA. I chose mine 1) because it WAS local, and 2) the franchise was owned by a fellow teacher who assigned me another former teacher TA.

My TA's been awesome for cruise and even land (Rocky Mountaineer) planning. She knows what we want, and when I send off a "could you check the price of...." she has put the exact stateroom that I would like on hold, because she does know what our preferences are. She works only 3 days a week, but I have had phone calls on her days off or well into the evening, even though I reassure her that checking next week would be fine. I do still watch for deals, but better she be on the phone than me. 😉

BTW, she has never pushed me towards Celebrity (her favourite), but has checked out and compared occasionally when I have been vague about a cruise eg. I want a Panama cruise.

And she has booked me on NCL when my sisters/husbands and us did a cruise together. They chose to go with our NCL PCC and my TA got me the best deal of us all.

Getting someone you trust, whether TA or PCC is the key.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dismomx5 said:

💬

Getting someone you trust, whether TA or PCC is the key.  

I agree. I trusted my PCC. I have tried to find a TA that I could trust and provide a discount. I wasn't able, so I used the PCC. She was very responsive both by phone and email. As for discounts, I found several ways to save money on a cruise and associated travel. 

(Flight ease, FCD, travel cards, Amex, and sales.) To each his own. I didn't intend this to become another TA vs PCC thread.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, taba said:

I agree. I trusted my PCC. I have tried to find a TA that I could trust and provide a discount. I wasn't able, so I used the PCC. She was very responsive both by phone and email. As for discounts, I found several ways to save money on a cruise and associated travel. 

(Flight ease, FCD, travel cards, Amex, and sales.) To each his own. I didn't intend this to become another TA vs PCC thread.

It’s not a TA vs PCC thread IMO.  And even if it does become that, it’s not your fault 😉 

I did use a PCC and then would transfer to my TA once it was set and one time left it with her because of the work involved.   Sadly my PCC is one of the ones gone and she was very good, experienced and helpful.  I suspect those closest to retirement went not those that are the least experienced.

Glad for those that have kept those they are happy with.  With the new 60 day limit to transfer and the hassle involved now, I booked directly with my TA.

• Like 1

Happily, my experienced PCC is still onboard.  The only downside I have with the PCC program is that it's difficult to get things done through them on a weekend or after hours, as the offices are closed. So, I exercise some patience and all is well on Monday.

We had an excellent PCC for a few years and then, out of the blue, very early this year (all pre-pandemic), got an email from another PCC introducing herself to us and letting us know our PCC had left and this new person was now our PCC.   With the pandemic hitting, I haven't had an occasion to deal with that new PCC, and have been wondering whether she's still with HAL.   Well, today I got a promo email from HAL (trying to get us to give them cash in exchange for OBC on a cruise booked in January), and noticed that the email identifies someone else entirely as our HAL PCC.   I just emailed them to confirm that; it's a heck of a way to get the news.   (This wasn't a personal email to me from the PCC, it was a form email with the promo going to tons of people.)

Very difficult times for so many, including those working in the travel industry.   

35 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Very difficult times for so many, including those working in the travel industry.   

I so agree with this statement.  The PCC’s and TA’s have had to work hard and often with no compensation.

And, they have a lot of upset customers on their hands looking for refunds and FCC’s

My hat is off to them all - I know it’s a struggle.  Special kudos to those that just plain care (money or not) and are trying to help ❤️

Quite sad, my PCC, whom I liked for years, was laid off. Years ago, I would book with big box sites and stopped that when it became a huge hassle for various reasons.  My PCC was wonderful and I will miss her.  We were assigned someone new.  She seems very nice and I hope that it will be smooth sailing ahead.