Royal Refuses To Allow Use Of FCC’s

47 minutes ago, Garyjames220 said:

I can barley see that to read all that

Better?

Royal Caribbean refuses to allow me to use my cruise credits despite following all instructions exactly as they advised

I originally booked a Royal Caribbean cruise in January 2020 for a sailing date of May 11th 2020 on the Independence of the Seas. All cruises were canceled due to the global pandemic. Royal Caribbean offered consumers 2 options. Consumers could request a full refund for their canceled cruise. Or consumers could receive a 125% future cruise credit based on the original cruise amount paid rather than receiving a refund. I opted for the 125% future cruise credit. I received the future cruise credits in the form of certificate numbers via email on 4/29/2020. I received 3 cruise credit certificates each in the amount of $477.00 (one certificate for each passenger). The email from Royal Caribbean containing the credits states the following, "To redeem your future cruise credits, please contact your travel advisor or visit our website to book your new sailing and apply your credit."

On 5/19/2020, I visited Royal Caribbean's website at www.RoyalCaribbean.com to book a new sailing using the future cruise credit certificates. I found a cruise similar in price to our original booking and entered the future cruise credits to be applied to the booking. During the booking process, I was instructed to enter the future cruise credit certificates to be applied to the new booking. I followed the provided instructions, entered the certificate codes, and the website showed the certificates were recognized and would be applied to the new booking. The new booking was slightly higher in price (approximately $300), so I was also instructed to enter a form of payment to cover the difference in price that was not covered by the cruise credits. I entered a personal credit card. After processing, the final confirmation page showed a total price of $1736.04.

However, it also stated that an updated an invoice would be sent after the future cruise credits were applied. The confirmation page stated my future cruise credits needed to be reviewed for validity. Once reviewed and confirmed, a new invoice would be sent showing the updated total with the future cruise credits applied. I received an email confirmation showing a total $1736.04 on 5/19/2020. Within 1 minute, I also received 3 emails from Royal Caribbean showing my future cruise credits and stating the following: "Your future cruise credits were applied successfully and a new booking invoice with the reduced fare will be sent to the email address on file."

I never received a new invoice and when I received my credit card statement I found that I had been charged for the full amount of $1736.04 on 5/20/2020. I contacted Royal Caribbean Customer Service via phone (800-256-6649) at 656pm MST on 6/1/2020. After speaking with a Supervisor, I was informed that my future cruise credits could not be applied to Reservation ID 541344 because I had already paid in full. I explained that I followed the instructions provided by Royal Caribbean and booked my cruise online using the future cruise certificates provided. I explained that I received a confirmation email from Royal Caribbean on 5/19/2020 confirm my cruise credits had been applied and advising me that I would receive an updated invoice with the lower fare. I was informed by a Supervisor that this was incorrect and future cruise credits cannot be applied online as stated in the email sent to consumers who chose this option. The Supervisor stated that the cruise credits could not be applied to this booking and could only be used for future bookings. She said the only way these credits could have been used was via phone, which contradicts prior communication. She stated they will not apply the credits to the second booking and cannot make any adjustments to the fare. She said the amount overpaid must be granted in yet another fcc that I don’t want.

So I’ve now paid for this 1 cruise twice with even more fcc’s on the way that I don’t want. I feel this is a predatory practice designed to trick consumers into spending more than intended. Royal Caribbean is not following the terms the provided to consumers and it appears they are attempting to capitalize on the fact that consumers were forced to cancel due to the pandemic. I’m only asking for them to allow me to use the fcc’s they provided in accordance with their instructions. But they continually refuse to assist or apply the credits as originally advised. I’m so disgusted I’m just ready to drop the whole thing and file chargebacks with my credit card company. Royal is ruining their reputation. They’re forcing consumers to spend more than they intended and I refuse to accept it. 

On 6/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, cynt said:

Just call back and speak to someone else. Forget the long story. When you call say, I booked my cruise online. RCCL made a mistake and charged the full amount of my cruise to my Credit card.  They should have applied my 3 FCC certificates and charged the balance $3XX to my CC. I need you to correct this.  I have the emails confirming my FCC certificates were applied. Thank you. 

Seems like you got a bad cust rep on the phone the 1st time. No big deal. Just call them back.

Or like someone else mentioned dispute it with your credit card company. Send the CC company a copy of all the emails. Easy Peasy. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually work for a major credit card company in fraud and billing disputes, so I’m well versed in the dispute process. My only concern is that when customers dispute things like this, they often show up to the port to find out the cruise line won’t let them board. Even if it’s been paid in full, completely squared away, and the dispute was resolved in manner in which the cruise line still received the full payment they were owed. I am going to try and call again — just dreading it. The last time took 4.5 hours to finally get a supervisor and be told no. The original rep I was speaking with, after keeping me on hold for 45 minutes without checking back a single time, came back to the line and said, “Hey so tell me your issue again, I forgot.” 

Currently holding for a little over 3 hours. I’ve been able to speak with humans for a total of 10 minutes. The first person transferred me to someone else without informing me first. The second has placed me on hold for 2.5 hours after explaining my issue without checking back on me. Gotta love it. This is why I do vegas - not cruises. The hospitality doesn’t even compare. 

6 hours ago, Shotgunblasting said:

My only concern is that when customers dispute things like this, they often show up to the port to find out the cruise line won’t let them board. Even if it’s been paid in full, completely squared away, and the dispute was resolved in manner in which the cruise line still received the full payment they were owed. 

Can a cruise line do this without prior notification?  You fulfilled the terms of the contract by paying in full.  By the time you get to the pier you have received your cruise documents and completed the check in process. What would be the cruiseline reason for not letting you board? I can possibly see you not being able to use the same credit card but even this seems like a lot of tracking since cc numbers can change for something as simple as a lost credit card. 

Vegas is kinda a one and done.  A cruise is much more relaxing.. 🙂... Good luck with a satisfactory resolution. 

Well now I know it wasn’t just a bad rep I spoke with last week as some suggested. After spending 11 straight hours on the phone with Royal today (not exaggerating), they told me the exact same thing again. “We’ve already charged you in full so the FCCs cannot be applied.” I said “I only paid in full because you erroneously charged me in full.”  Their response: “Either way, it’s done now so we can’t refund you.”

I told them it’s the same situation as this: if you went to a restaurant and your meal cost $50, but they charged you $500... Would you accept it if they said, “we can’t refund you the difference of $450 but we’ll give you $450 in gift certificates to our restaurant.” ?  NO. NOBODY WOULD ACCEPT THAT. They still say they refuse to refund me the difference. 

I continue to ask how they can erroneously charge me yet hold me responsible. They have no answer. They just continue to say, “Because you already paid in full.” So to recap — when I booked this cruise online - I found the sailing we wanted and got to the payment page. I entered the FCCs and the website indicated they were applied. The cost of the cruise was $1700. The FCCs totaled $1200, which left a difference of $500. I entered my credit card to pay the $500. Instead of charging me $500, Royal charged me the full price of the cruise ($1700). However, immediately after that Royal sent me emails saying “Your cruise credits have been applied and you’ll receive an updated fare statement soon.” I never received it and started to call, that’s when this whole process began. 

Heartless. Worthless. And Ridiculous. Worst experience I’ve ever had with a merchant of this size. This is literally insane! How can they justify this? They say they have no ability to process refunds. I said “People cancel and you process refunds literally EVERY DAY.“ They won’t budge. Considering simply disputing the entire thing and canceling with my credit card company. Don’t even want to go on this cruise now. They’ve ruined it for me. My family still wants to go but I’m over it. I’m lost now. The death of the little man 2020

• Like 1

I agree, that seems completely unacceptable.  I'd be absolutely fuming!!

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you.  Maybe try the credit card route - seems like the only option at this stage?

Unbelievably frustrating for you!  Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

All very interesting. I took the FCC on one of my cruises. It has been at least a month since my ta applied it to my march 2021 cruise. He tells me royal hasn't applied it yet. 

Am I to understand that this FCC from a cancelled by royal ctuise can not be applied to an existing cruise ??

43 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

All very interesting. I took the FCC on one of my cruises. It has been at least a month since my ta applied it to my march 2021 cruise. He tells me royal hasn't applied it yet. 

Am I to understand that this FCC from a cancelled by royal ctuise can not be applied to an existing cruise ??

FCC’s from a cancelled cruise can absolutely be applied to an existing cruise. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 8:58 AM, Milwaukee Eight said:

I sure wish posters would use a font that some of us struggle to read. Why not just leave it default?

Use the zoom feature in chrome.  It's on the address bar.  Pretty simple.  Magnifying glass with a plus in it.

• Like 1

WOW!  What a bad experience.  Technology makes many things easier but can also really, really mess up one's life.

Sometimes booking directly online offers no protection, and having that travel agent buffer or a live reservation agent could have really helped with the process. I am not sure why you wanted to book right away in May, but I know many of us are very eager to plan a future vacation.

Okay, how are you for money and time?

At this point, since you do not want a credit card dispute, and you have been patient on the phone and spoken with supervisors, I think you could just consider booking TWO future cruises.

Yes, you should definitely keep following up and write the letters.  You absolutely have proof that the FCC was supposed to be applied.  But as someone who has been waiting for a RC refund since March 16, I think they will not be in a hurry to process any refund for you.

I believe many cruise lines are on the edge of collapse, and the management is barely keeping their heads above water.  That is not an excuse for poor customer service, or shoddy technology functions, but it is a bigger picture perspective that says to me they want to value their customers, but have become so overwhelmed they are unable to get past day-to-day functions.  

So allow your letters and complaints to play out, but offer your family the potential double treat of two cruises for having survived all of the social distancing and cancelled cruises. (For the second cruise, talk with a live reservation agent!)  And yes, you will have a great time!

23 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

I know others keep saying Yes, but I’ve been dealing with Royal on this for the last 2 weeks. Literally 15+ hours on the phone and I’m telling you they won’t do it. 

1 hour ago, Shotgunblasting said:

I know others keep saying Yes, but I’ve been dealing with Royal on this for the last 2 weeks. Literally 15+ hours on the phone and I’m telling you they won’t do it. 

They are referring to a cruise that has not been paid in full.  Totally different situation that yours. 

It can be confusing, we have 3 separate FCC's, thought we were doing the right thing and being loyal to royal by leaving the money with them.  Went online to make a booking yesterday, the system let's you enter multiple FCC numbers, but then got an email later in the day saying I could only apply one FCC per cruise.  We have the possibility of another being cancelled in September so I am going to start opting for refunds, not something I want to do, but I anticipate at some point them expiring and me not being able to use them.   It would be so much easier if you could opt for a reference number that had the total amount of credit and any amount of it can be applied to cruises until it's all used up.

3 minutes ago, RETNAVY1996 said:

You would think they would allow it.  Get cruisers to use their FCCs faster and then start having to use cash again.  

For frequent cruisers that would work to their advantage but for the majority of cruisers that cruise once a year or two it means that some of the FCC's will go un-redeemed.  Plus this gets them some cash flow 

OP,

Hope you get this resolved to your sanctification, it sounds like you have a legitimate case.

For those complaining about the font size.  Things could like perfectly fine on your device as you post, and look different on a totally different device.  If you don't have that type of device, you would have no idea.

For example, I normally post here on my PC laptop.  I have no way to determine how it looks on an Apple device (computer, cell phone or tablet) as I don't own one.  I do own an android cell phone and a fire tablet, but I don't use them to access cruise critic.

• Like 1

I'm assuming this is for a cruise at a future date , like 2021 or at least 90 days from today.  Can you cancel the cruise that was charged to your credit card and get it credited back to your CC?  If so, do that.  Once you get the credit on your CC account. Then call them to use the 3 FCC. Stay on the phone until you receive the email that the 3 FCC have been applied and you get the invoice for the $3XX balance due. You're not within final payment so pay that $3XX in a month of so. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 9:26 AM, Shotgunblasting said:

Royal Caribbean refuses to allow me to use my cruise credits despite following all instructions exactly as they advised. I originally booked a Royal Caribbean cruise in January 2020 for a sailing date of May 11th 2020 on the Independence of the Seas. All cruises were canceled due to the global pandemic. Royal Caribbean offered consumers 2 options. Consumers could request a full refund for their canceled cruise. Or consumers could receive a 125% future cruise credit based on the original cruise amount paid rather than receiving a refund. I opted for the 125% future cruise credit. I received the future cruise credits in the form of certificate numbers via email on 4/29/2020. I received 3 cruise credit certificates each in the amount of $477.00 (one certificate for each passenger). The email from Royal Caribbean containing the credits states the following, "To redeem your future cruise credits, please contact your travel advisor or visit our website to book your new sailing and apply your credit." On 5/19/2020, I visited Royal Caribbean's website at www.RoyalCaribbean.com to book a new sailing using the future cruise credit certificates. I found a cruise similar in price to our original booking and entered the future cruise credits to be applied to the booking. During the booking process, I was instructed to enter the future cruise credit certificates to be applied to the new booking. I followed the provided instructions, entered the certificate codes, and the website showed the certificates were recognized and would be applied to the new booking. The new booking was slightly higher in price (approximately $300), so I was also instructed to enter a form of payment to cover the difference in price that was not covered by the cruise credits. I entered a personal credit card. After processing, the final confirmation page showed a total price of $1736.04. However, it also stated that an updated an invoice would be sent after the future cruise credits were applied. The confirmation page stated my future cruise credits needed to be reviewed for validity. Once reviewed and confirmed, a new invoice would be sent showing the updated total with the future cruise credits applied. I received an email confirmation showing a total $1736.04 on 5/19/2020. Within 1 minute, I also received 3 emails from Royal Caribbean showing my future cruise credits and stating the following: "Your future cruise credits were applied successfully and a new booking invoice with the reduced fare will be sent to the email address on file." I never received a new invoice and when I received my credit card statement I found that I had been charged for the full amount of $1736.04 on 5/20/2020. I contacted Royal Caribbean Customer Service via phone (800-256-6649) at 656pm MST on 6/1/2020. After speaking with a Supervisor, I was informed that my future cruise credits could not be applied to Reservation ID 541344 because I had already paid in full. I explained that I followed the instructions provided by Royal Caribbean and booked my cruise online using the future cruise certificates provided. I explained that I received a confirmation email from Royal Caribbean on 5/19/2020 confirm my cruise credits had been applied and advising me that I would receive an updated invoice with the lower fare. I was informed by a Supervisor that this was incorrect and future cruise credits cannot be applied online as stated in the email sent to consumers who chose this option. .The Supervisor stated that the cruise credits could not be applied to this booking and could only be used for future bookings. She said the only way these credits could have been used was via phone, which contradicts prior communication. She stated they will not apply the credits to the second booking and cannot make any adjustments to the fare. She said the amount overpaid must be granted in yet another fcc that I don’t want. So I’ve now paid for this 1 cruise twice with even more fcc’s on the way that I don’t want. I feel this is a predatory practice designed to trick consumers into spending more than intended. Royal Caribbean is not following the terms the provided to consumers and it appears they are attempting to capitalize on the fact that consumers were forced to cancel due to the pandemic. I’m only asking for them to allow me to use the fcc’s they provided in accordance with their instructions. But they continually refuse to assist or apply the credits as originally advised. I’m so disgusted I’m just ready to drop the whole thing and file chargebacks with my credit card company. Royal is ruining their reputation. They’re forcing consumers to spend more than they intended and I refuse to accept it. 

Next time use a travel agent, and let them deal with the details.  Or you can be cheap and try to do it yourself.

Good luck...

jc

This sounds like a nightmare.  I'm sorry you have had to go through all of that.  I had an issue with Disney World in December and cancelled my Disney trip for later this year.  It really turns a relaxing vacation into something stressful that leaves a bad taste in your mouth. 

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Next time use a travel agent, and let them deal with the details.  Or you can be cheap and try to do it yourself.

Good luck...

jc

Your post is irrelevant. Sometimes it is better for you and definitely more productive to just say nothing.

• Like 3

That is asinine!! You should request to speak with the resolutions department, and if they don’t handle it, then make a dispute on your credit card.

The only issue with making a dispute on the credit card is that your booking may get canceled since they aren’t crediting the FCC’s to the booking, and you may lose the pricing if it’s gone up. Can you cancel and rebook? Or did you book a non refundable fare?

As for the format of your original post, I agree that it needed paragraphs and larger font, and would normally stop reading after the first few sentences, however you were very clear and to the point in your writing so, surprisingly, I was able to continue reading and followed it very easily. I understand that you copied and pasted and the formatting was lost. I’ve had that happen. Next time use the edit feature and put the paragraphs back in. 

On 6/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, Shotgunblasting said:

Royal Caribbean refuses to allow me to use my cruise credits despite following all instructions exactly as they advised. I originally booked a Royal Caribbean cruise in January 2020 for a sailing date of May 11th 2020 on the Independence of the Seas. All cruises were canceled due to the global pandemic. Royal Caribbean offered consumers 2 options. Consumers could request a full refund for their canceled cruise. Or consumers could receive a 125% future cruise credit based on the original cruise amount paid rather than receiving a refund. I opted for the 125% future cruise credit. I received the future cruise credits in the form of certificate numbers via email on 4/29/2020. I received 3 cruise credit certificates each in the amount of $477.00 (one certificate for each passenger). The email from Royal Caribbean containing the credits states the following, "To redeem your future cruise credits, please contact your travel advisor or visit our website to book your new sailing and apply your credit." On 5/19/2020, I visited Royal Caribbean's website at www.RoyalCaribbean.com to book a new sailing using the future cruise credit certificates. I found a cruise similar in price to our original booking and entered the future cruise credits to be applied to the booking. During the booking process, I was instructed to enter the future cruise credit certificates to be applied to the new booking. I followed the provided instructions, entered the certificate codes, and the website showed the certificates were recognized and would be applied to the new booking. The new booking was slightly higher in price (approximately $300), so I was also instructed to enter a form of payment to cover the difference in price that was not covered by the cruise credits. I entered a personal credit card. After processing, the final confirmation page showed a total price of $1736.04. However, it also stated that an updated an invoice would be sent after the future cruise credits were applied. The confirmation page stated my future cruise credits needed to be reviewed for validity. Once reviewed and confirmed, a new invoice would be sent showing the updated total with the future cruise credits applied. I received an email confirmation showing a total $1736.04 on 5/19/2020. Within 1 minute, I also received 3 emails from Royal Caribbean showing my future cruise credits and stating the following: "Your future cruise credits were applied successfully and a new booking invoice with the reduced fare will be sent to the email address on file." I never received a new invoice and when I received my credit card statement I found that I had been charged for the full amount of $1736.04 on 5/20/2020. I contacted Royal Caribbean Customer Service via phone (800-256-6649) at 656pm MST on 6/1/2020. After speaking with a Supervisor, I was informed that my future cruise credits could not be applied to Reservation ID 541344 because I had already paid in full. I explained that I followed the instructions provided by Royal Caribbean and booked my cruise online using the future cruise certificates provided. I explained that I received a confirmation email from Royal Caribbean on 5/19/2020 confirm my cruise credits had been applied and advising me that I would receive an updated invoice with the lower fare. I was informed by a Supervisor that this was incorrect and future cruise credits cannot be applied online as stated in the email sent to consumers who chose this option. .The Supervisor stated that the cruise credits could not be applied to this booking and could only be used for future bookings. She said the only way these credits could have been used was via phone, which contradicts prior communication. She stated they will not apply the credits to the second booking and cannot make any adjustments to the fare. She said the amount overpaid must be granted in yet another fcc that I don’t want. So I’ve now paid for this 1 cruise twice with even more fcc’s on the way that I don’t want. I feel this is a predatory practice designed to trick consumers into spending more than intended. Royal Caribbean is not following the terms the provided to consumers and it appears they are attempting to capitalize on the fact that consumers were forced to cancel due to the pandemic. I’m only asking for them to allow me to use the fcc’s they provided in accordance with their instructions. But they continually refuse to assist or apply the credits as originally advised. I’m so disgusted I’m just ready to drop the whole thing and file chargebacks with my credit card company. Royal is ruining their reputation. They’re forcing consumers to spend more than they intended and I refuse to accept it. 

What a shame you didn't find this site sooner.  The FCC's have been a nightmare with all of the rules. There was an entire thread on the subject.  Hope you get it straightened out. I have learned a few things during this covid experience. I will only book an ocean view balcony, I will never book with a nonrefundable deposit and I will never take an FCC no matter how they try to dress it up and make it look enticing.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 3