Another Game Changer

I would not believe the WHO organization if my life depended on it.  The guy in charge is not even a doctor but some political hack.

A few days ago, one person from PA attended a beach party in NJ and when he got back, he infected some 11 relatives & friends.  The PA state Health Dept. was able to track it to this lone individual.  No indication if he was A or S type.

• Like 1

Most people in our area m, including me, have given up listening to any of them and are just going about our business as usual. Science or no science, once they change their recommendations 3 times, I have no faith in what they say.

What about Lancet backtracking on the lie they were peddling that hydroxychloroquine was causing more harm than good?  It is sad that organizations like WHO and Lancet use their political stance to trump actual science.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

I would not believe the WHO organization if my life depended on it.  The guy in charge is not even a doctor but some political hack.

A few days ago, one person from PA attended a beach party in NJ and when he got back, he infected some 11 relatives & friends.  The PA state Health Dept. was able to track it to this lone individual.  No indication if he was A or S type.

Your life is supposed to depend on it. However I must agree. No way. The CDC is always changing there information also. Being infected in no way means you will get sick or end up in a hospital or die. Most that have it do not even know they have it. How many do means zero. Nothing at all.

5 hours ago, MacMarauder said:

If one person on the Diamond Princess can lead to over 700 infections I think COVID is effective at spreading, asymptomatic or not. Also it managed to go from 110k worldwide cases three months ago to over 7 million now which is pretty incredible when you think about it.

The annual flu infections are around 1 billion worldwide with an estimate of 294,000 - 640,000 deaths a year.  WIth these numbers everything should be shutdown forever.

Edited by Junkhouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

This is nothing new at all. Over the past years there have been major deaths from diseases. Far worse than this one and we all over came them. Didn't we! Bubonic plague for example. "Bubonic plague: Patients develop sudden onset of fever, headache, chills, and weakness. Over 100,00 died in one city alone." 

"The bubonic plague is considered as one of the deadliest bacterial infections

in all of human history. In fact, Europe experienced over 50 million deaths during the gruesome plague in the Middle Ages." It has not been eradicated a couple died from it last year after eating a raw kidney of a marmot. How did this virus start? Raw weird animal meat, maybe! So what do you do? Nothing more than what you have done for years. One or even maybe two years from now we will do nothing but think of how this effective all of our lives. All of us will continue on as we have for years and years. To run scared is nothing more than being scared. I for one am not scared and just remain cautious as I always have. As for wearing a mask on a cruise. Not sure if that well float. Pun intended.

I was talking about how quickly COVID spreads not the total death numbers. But you're correct that people die from all sorts of things including the bubonic plague. I'm not scared of COVID but I do think it's amazing that a brand new virus can go from one province in China to millions of people and 200+ countries in a matter of months. 

I am willing to give the CDC and WHO and any other legitimate health organization a bit of a break.  And yes I do personally consider the WHO a legitimate health organization. This is a virus that was essentially unknown 6 months ago.  A lot is being learned quickly.  But there is so much more to be learned over time.  But our media crazy society just has to broadcast big, hairy headlines to grab your eye.  Everything is out of context.  Scientists and wannabe-scientists and political officials (with no training in medicine or science) are being interviewed every minute every day.  This leads to the constant feeding of the media frenzy with a lot of mis-information and non-vetted information.  And just some plain mis-truths.  So then it seems like the science and medicine actually going on behind the scenes is contradictory.  But science occurs in small steps until a more complete story comes together and is verified.  We are not giving it time and patience right now.

• Like 3

The biggest difference with this virus from deadlier ones is that it usually takes at least 2 weeks to progress to serious symptoms (if at all) and up to 2 more weeks to be fatal. Ebola, SARS, MERS and the plague are both seriously symptomatic much earlier (resulting in relatively rapid isolation) and fatal much much quickly (resulting in rapid reduction of transmission opportunity).

Highly and rapidly fatal viruses once identified by severe symptoms die out quickly. This virus is unique because most infected people can transmit before severe symptoms. Which is why prudent people take precautions.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Ebola, SARS, MERS far, far more deaths. Once you had it you were just about guaranteed to die and die fast. Not with this virus. many have it that will NOT die form it.

Totally untrue and totally irresponsible.

Total MERS deaths worldwide: 866

Total SARS deaths worldwide: 774.

Total Ebola deaths worldwide: 11,300 in 2 years.

Yes, the mortality rate was considerably higher in many places.  But to compare those very low incidence numbers to COVID 19 incidence (approaching 8 MILLION and 428,000 deaths) is disingenuous. 

A good resource that is already  out of date because COVID 19 cases are still expanding, but enlightening for comparison.

• Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 3:29 PM, JT1962 said:

Most people in our area m, including me, have given up listening to any of them and are just going about our business as usual. Science or no science, once they change their recommendations 3 times, I have no faith in what they say.

As we learn more, recommendations will change. That is pretty obvious. Not following guidance will result in shutting things down again. What happens when people ignore guidance?  Red states. 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

15 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

As we learn more, recommendations will change. That is pretty obvious. Not following guidance will result in shutting things down again. What happens when people ignore guidance?  Red states. 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases-50-states

Cool graph.  I still believe that % positive test results, or even better...hospitalization rates and deaths, are better indicators than raw new cases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 10:59 AM, Ocean Boy said:

Every one is asymptomatic before they become symptomatic.

Which is what that announcement is actually about: the WHO is starting to distinguish "asymptomatic" (who never show symptoms) from "presymptomatic" (who have not YET shown symptoms or who have symptoms mild enough to not be that distinguishable from a baseline).  Truly asymptomatic people are less likely to transmit, but they also turn out to be a lot rarer than previously presumed and a lot of what were thought to be "asymptomatic" transmissions actually happened from people who just didn't think their couple of days fever and nagging cough could possibly have been a big deal, didn't report it, and only learned they were positive when their coworker or friend ended up hospitalized and they screened everyone around them.