Another Game Changer

HEALTH AND SCIENCE

Asymptomatic spread of coronavirus is ‘very rare,’ WHO says

PUBLISHED MON, JUN 8 20201:05 PM EDTUPDATED AN HOUR AGO

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?__source=facebook%7Cmain&fbclid=IwAR3pw7q57VVCPB06ZVk-RheMqNLVdS8IGNrjVFQk8-mpd7M4GX2HrEpRPLY

Problem is at least in the states this virus is political now. Facts dont matter at all. Its all about control and power and re-elections.

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 5

Directly from the CDC website before they delete it...

Infectiousness of asymptomatic individuals relative to symptomatic individuals: The contribution to transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from asymptomatic individuals compared to the contribution to transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from symptomatic individuals.  A parameter value of 50% means that an asymptomatic individual is half as infectious as a symptomatic individual, while a parameter value of 100% means that an asymptomatic individual is just as likely to transmit infection as a symptomatic individual. This parameter is especially challenging to estimate because studies that repeatedly test asymptomatic individuals over time are limited.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Spread and who has it and who don't really makes no difference at all. Does it! Only information and has nothing to do if you or I will die from it. Compare it to the flu for years. So many deaths and no one cares. Why should this be any different. Even if a vaccine becomes available. How many will get it. Just like every year. How many do not get the flu vaccine. Again, no one really cars about that do they? It really has no personal impact on me at all unless I get it and cannot beat it. Same as any other disease or flu. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, flyguyjake said:

Directly from the CDC website before they delete it...

Infectiousness of asymptomatic individuals relative to symptomatic individuals: The contribution to transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from asymptomatic individuals compared to the contribution to transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from symptomatic individuals.  A parameter value of 50% means that an asymptomatic individual is half as infectious as a symptomatic individual, while a parameter value of 100% means that an asymptomatic individual is just as likely to transmit infection as a symptomatic individual. This parameter is especially challenging to estimate because studies that repeatedly test asymptomatic individuals over time are limited.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html

Old data.  "Parameter values are based on data received by CDC prior to 4/29/2020".

• Like 3

I want to learn more. I know of one case here locally that was symptomatic. The health departments contact tracing showed 10 people with Asymptomatic positive.  According to health department, the sick person had no other positive contacts. It’s certainly possible that maybe the symptomatic passed on the virus to those Asymptomatic but then were did they get infected?  

I don't think a "devil may care" attitude is correct.  I still would be cautious as one poster said look what happened on the cruise ships.  Also, think about the states that have been light on wearing masks and keeping a social distance.  The cases of corona keep escalating.  

We really do not know 100% of the facts.  The only thing we do know, is that this isn't the flu.  Many more people will die from it and suffer serious consequences from it.  I would be cautious and for now practice social distancing to protect my loved ones.  Surely cannot hurt.

Once more and more studies with data come out, and if ultimately verified that asymptomatic individuals are much less likely to transmit the virus than originally reported, I do think this would be a very important outcome for the cruising population.  

• Like 2

If one person on the Diamond Princess can lead to over 700 infections I think COVID is effective at spreading, asymptomatic or not. Also it managed to go from 110k worldwide cases three months ago to over 7 million now which is pretty incredible when you think about it.

Well the problem is mild symptoms could be the same as allergies, or a simple cold.

Everyone has an Ox to gore in this SS to tell the truth.  The protests will be the final straw not if there are  more people testing positive, but if more people are hospitalized/die to tell the truth.  

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

No one knows all the facts about this virus yet.  The pressure is on to release information that has not been fully vetted.  Until enough time goes by to see the full effects of the virus, the probability is high that the information will continue to change.

• Like 2

I’ve read reports on asymptomatic person to person not primary cause of spread.

Have also read reports that highly unlikely to get from surfaces.

IF both reports are true how is it spreading🤔

Edited by Spurschick

14 minutes ago, fredflint said:

Well the problem is mild symptoms could be the same as allergies, or a simple cold.

Everyone has an Ox to gore in this SS to tell the truth.  The protests will be the final straw not if there are  more people testing positive, but if more people are hospitalized/die to tell the truth.  

Just my opinion.

Yesterday, Colorado said they had the highest hospitalizations since the peak in April and climbing.  19 states are reporting higher hospitalizations since reopening.

Edited by cured

1 hour ago, MacMarauder said:

If one person on the Diamond Princess can lead to over 700 infections I think COVID is effective at spreading, asymptomatic or not. Also it managed to go from 110k worldwide cases three months ago to over 7 million now which is pretty incredible when you think about it.

This is nothing new at all. Over the past years there have been major deaths from diseases. Far worse than this one and we all over came them. Didn't we! Bubonic plague for example. "Bubonic plague: Patients develop sudden onset of fever, headache, chills, and weakness. Over 100,00 died in one city alone." 

"The bubonic plague is considered as one of the deadliest bacterial infections

in all of human history. In fact, Europe experienced over 50 million deaths during the gruesome plague in the Middle Ages." It has not been eradicated a couple died from it last year after eating a raw kidney of a marmot. How did this virus start? Raw weird animal meat, maybe! So what do you do? Nothing more than what you have done for years. One or even maybe two years from now we will do nothing but think of how this effective all of our lives. All of us will continue on as we have for years and years. To run scared is nothing more than being scared. I for one am not scared and just remain cautious as I always have. As for wearing a mask on a cruise. Not sure if that well float. Pun intended.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I saw a report that the first few days after exposure, someone might not show any sign or few signs of infection, but be very infectious.  Where they Asymptomatic before they became symptomatic?  

Every one is asymptomatic before they become symptomatic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I saw a report that the first few days after exposure, someone might not show any sign or few signs of infection, but be very infectious.  Where they Asymptomatic before they became symptomatic?  

I've read the same thing and have seen this referred to as Pre-symptomatic.  Although at the time, you wouldn't know if you're A or Pre.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

This is nothing new at all.

So what do you do? Nothing more than what you have done for years. One or even maybe two years from now we will do nothing but think of how this effective all of our lives. All of us will continue on as we have for years and years. To run scared is nothing more than being scared. I for one am not scared and just remain cautious as I always have. As for wearing a mask on a cruise. Not sure if that well float. Pun intended.

Mea culpa for bursting your logic bubble, but this IS new, and we DO have to behave differently than we have in the past.  

I had the Hong Kong flu in 1968.  Sicker than I've ever been.  I did not affect my blood clotting, it did not affect my other major organs besides my lungs, and I did not go on a ventilator.  It took me 4 months to recuperate.  It was just plain different than COVID19, and far less deadly.  So, that's my personal reference point.

To be prudent is not to run scared.  I do not want to "win or lose" in this whole debate:  I just want to stay safe, and I sincerely want everyone else to stay safe, too. 

I will look back and think of how this disease spread and killed an enormous number of people, and how it CHANGED my life.  It made me realize how resilient we humans are; how we can adapt and change.  I look at the hundreds of millions of people who stayed home to slow down the disease, taught their children at home, worked at home,  and motored through this pandemic. 

It's plain to me:  I don't want to find out whose right or wrong, because that could mean somebody dies. 

I just hope fervently we can get through the economic side effects of this as well as the physical side effects.

My little personal arsenal of comfort is I've been taking medications and supplements for years that seem to provide protection, and I have a blood type that has a lower infection rate.  I don't know if Hong Kong flu antibodies help, since it's been so long, but I was told years ago it does provide protection to certain types of Asian flus.

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1