1. 1. What do you do for formal night

• Tuxedo/Evening gown
    • Dark suit/dress
    • Blazer/Skirt or pant suit
    • Golf shirt/Capris
    • Bermuda shorts/Leggings and a cover up
    • Jeans and a T-shirt

46 minutes ago, cured said:

This was my husband's suit on our last cruise. I usually wear a cocktail or some sort of dressier dress.

Edit to add: This is not my husband 🙂

Men's black and white math suit by opposuits

nice that you got someone else to wear his suit 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm thinking about doing a tux... I've only ever worn them when participating in a wedding and at my HS graduation.  It might be nice to really up the formal night game... Does anybody know if you can rent them onboard?

I take my tux if it is a special event, eg Mrs G’s birthday, or going on Cunard, but otherwise a suit does me fine.

DW and I used to dress up because of the pictures, but we hardly ever looked at them and don't "do" onboard pictures anymore.

I rented a tuxedo twice: once on DW's 50th birthday Med cruise, and once on our 20th anniversary Alaska cruise.

Otherwise, it's suit and tie for me.

Steve

3 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

I used to wear a Tux and then a suit, now it’s slacks and a shirt, but in future I’m wondering if to go with this and add a black bow tie.

The gloves are optional.

7B8CAEE2-F3DB-4BE5-BC66-3146984B9832.jpeg

Definitely black gloves and a black N95 to match

• Haha 1

We still dress formally with a tux and gown. If there are 2 formal nights I will bring 2 gowns and 3 formal nights either 2 or 3 gowns. Hubby will bring different shirts and cummerbunds when there is more than 1 formal night. 

• Like 3

I always take my kilt and all the trimmings, weighs a fair bit, but makes the cruise worth it. I don't get to wear it very often so these nights are special occasions.

My wife tends to take a couple of cocktail dresses too.

Getting dressed up for us is all part of the cruise experience. 

• Like 7

I always take my barong Tagalog, a long sleaved shirt made of pineapple fiber worn out over the pants.  Wear to all weddings in the Philippines including my own.  Certain crew members give me a smile and thumbs up.

• Like 2

Used to wear a tux (I own one and have never worn it anywhere BUT a cruise ship) but have shifted to a sport coat/blazer with no tie.  We still like to dress at least somewhat fancier than normal and get some nice pictures taken.  Anyone want to buy a slightly used tuxedo?  😁

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 1

My DH used to wear a tux. He bought one for our wedding. (I think its cute that he thinks it still fits)  Then he would wear a suit and tie but packed the tux just in case he wanted to wear it. Now he wears slacks, nice shirt and a tie and packs a suit just in case... 
I have typically worn a cocktail dress or a nice summer dress 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Agavegirl1 said:

I wear a cocktail dress and Hubby wears a travel sports coat with dark pants and a short without a tie.  Well, he wore a tie once.

A tie always dresses things up a little but more. 

8 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

We still dress formally with a tux and gown. If there are 2 formal nights I will bring 2 gowns and 3 formal nights either 2 or 3 gowns. Hubby will bring different shirts and cummerbunds when there is more than 1 formal night. 

Maybe I should breakdown and actually buy a tuxedo.  When you buy cummerbunds do you they automatically come with matching ties or do you have to hunt to find matches.

8 hours ago, mps69_1999 said:

I always take my kilt and all the trimmings, weighs a fair bit, but makes the cruise worth it. I don't get to wear it very often so these nights are special occasions.

My wife tends to take a couple of cocktail dresses too.

Getting dressed up for us is all part of the cruise experience. 

Wow, fantastic! It makes me wish I was Scottish. Ive been to Glasgow only once. Hilariously, I didn't see any kilts the whole time we were there until just as we were leaving. We were getting on the train to head back to London and off come four men in matching formal looking outfits in kilts. That was a relief, I'd kind of felt cheated. It's not like I expected to see men in kilts all over Glasgow LOL I just hope to see at least one.

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Used to wear a tux (I own one and have never worn it anywhere BUT a cruise ship) but have shifted to a sport coat/blazer with no tie.  We still like to dress at least somewhat fancier than normal and get some nice pictures taken.  Anyone want to buy a slightly used tuxedo?  😁

Size ?

I'm curious about the comments about luggage space being problem.  We've read that on this thread and many thread that talks about formal night attire here on CC.  I must just be a better packer than most.  I would think that most people travel with at least a suitcase and a carry-on.  For a seven day cruise plus a day precruise and a day post cruise I pack a suit, two white shirts, three collared, long sleeve shirts (various colors and patterns) for non-formal night dining and a pair of David Eden shoes. Also, two pairs of "Docker" type pants along with all of the casual wear I need.  I still have room for an extra pair or two of shoes for my wife. If you roll everything up, except the suit, you have a lot more space.

• Thanks 1

Donated the Tux and some of my suits.  We are doing the main dining room less and less.  The last few cruises its been specialty restaurants and the buffet.  In fact on the last cruise we did not go to any shows.  We socialize more in the bars these days.  As a result its mostly dress shirt and slacks.

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Maybe I should breakdown and actually buy a tuxedo.  When you buy cummerbunds do you they automatically come with matching ties or do you have to hunt to find matches.

Buy a tuxedo for sure, I purchased mine years ago from a tuxedo rental place, you can get great deals on rented tuxes as well as new ones.  Back in 2000 I purchased mine for 99 bucks and they threw in a shirt too.  The cummerbunds usually come as a set but you can buy them as separates, Don't forget  studs and cufflinks too.

You can still buy them for ~99bucks today!

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2593718?color=BLACK&utm_source=adlucent&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=google&utm_channel=low_nd_shop&sid=545650&utm_term=545650&aid=[ADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - Categories - Brand - [Desktop]&utm_campaign=5BADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - Categories - Brand - [Desktop]&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncyIzOP86QIVE9bACh0vlQ77EAYYByABEgK5WfD_BwE

image.png.bf9e0f1b15cc71f3f2608219c9dd32c7.png

9213592.jpg61Umfhn8iiL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Edited by fredflint
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I have always dressed reasonably well for formal night. I know I don't go to town with a tuxedo like they did in a bygone time but I certainly try to put my best on for a couple of nights on a seven day cruise.  For me it is a black suit and for DW it would an outfit that she would wear to a wedding (somebody else's, not ours 😀 ). I've read on CC that formal night is dead and almost nobody bothers anymore but that has not been my experience.  I have definitely seen folks that ignored the dress suggestion listed in the cruise compass but it seemed to me everyone upped their game some.  What do you do on formal night?

Every night we dress smartly.

Pauline wears a cocktail dress and I wear  smart trousers,shoes and designer short sleeved shirt.

On formal nights Pauline wears a long dress  and I wear a smart lightweight black suit,shoes,long sleeved designer shirt with cufflinks and tie.

Graham

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

For many years as our 3 dd were growing up dw used formal night as opportunity to capture the perfect formal family portrait to send out with our christmas cards.  We would have shots taken at every background and then select the best one.  Now that it's just the two of us my rule of thumb is if we're driving to the ship I'll pack a suit, if we're flying I don't.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredflint said:

Buy a tuxedo for sure, I purchased mine years ago from a tuxedo rental place, you can get great deals on rented tuxes as well as new ones.  Back in 2000 I purchased mine for 99 bucks and they threw in a shirt too.  The cummerbunds usually come as a set but you can buy them as separates, Don't forget  studs and cufflinks too.

You can still buy them for ~99bucks today!

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2593718?color=BLACK&utm_source=adlucent&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=google&utm_channel=low_nd_shop&sid=545650&utm_term=545650&aid=[ADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - Categories - Brand - [Desktop]&utm_campaign=5BADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - Categories - Brand - [Desktop]&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncyIzOP86QIVE9bACh0vlQ77EAYYByABEgK5WfD_BwE

image.png.bf9e0f1b15cc71f3f2608219c9dd32c7.png

9213592.jpg61Umfhn8iiL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Oh yeah... coming to @Tree_skier cruise near you. 🤩

3 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm curious about the comments about luggage space being problem.  We've read that on this thread and many thread that talks about formal night attire here on CC.  I must just be a better packer than most.  I would think that most people travel with at least a suitcase and a carry-on.  For a seven day cruise plus a day precruise and a day post cruise I pack a suit, two white shirts, three collared, long sleeve shirts (various colors and patterns) for non-formal night dining and a pair of David Eden shoes. Also, two pairs of "Docker" type pants along with all of the casual wear I need.  I still have room for an extra pair or two of shoes for my wife. If you roll everything up, except the suit, you have a lot more space.

I take one suitcase for a 14 day cruise with 1-3 days pre-cruise.  My carryon has all of the electronics and batteries as well as medications no clothing.  No space for anything that is as limited as a suit.  I usually bring a pair of darker sneakers and flip flops for the pool.  Maybe one button down shirt, but probably not, along with 2 pairs of pants in case it is cool somewhere.

• Like 1