1. 1. What do you do for formal night

• Tuxedo/Evening gown
    • Dark suit/dress
    • Blazer/Skirt or pant suit
    • Golf shirt/Capris
    • Bermuda shorts/Leggings and a cover up
    • Jeans and a T-shirt

On 6/13/2020 at 11:16 AM, Ocean Boy said:

So it sounds like you follow your own dress code and not, necessarily, RCI's suggested manner of dress. 

I will admit I am much more up to date with Carnival's dress code than Royals (108 nights on Carnival and only 37 on Royal) and have always assumed they have similar, if not the same dress code, but on Carnival, slacks, collared shirt, shoes that are not tennis shoes, are acceptable for formal (elegant) night. I may have to do some more studying on the specifics of Royal (though I will say, only 37 Royal nights, on formal nights, 90% of the men were dressed the exact same way I was which leads me to believe that Royal's dress code is the same as Carnival's).

Edited by Computer Nerd

On 6/13/2020 at 12:05 PM, Tree_skier said:

I would say that my poll indicates otherwise. Almost 69% of respondents say that they dress up to some degree for formal night.  Most commenting who do dress up, say they enjoy it.  When I first started posting on CC's Royal forum, prior to my 2018 cruise on Liberty, I was led to believe, like you, that formal night was dead.  My previous experience with royal was 2008 so I was surprised because back then it was very much adhered to.  I expected the number who adhered to recommended dress codes to be very limited.  That expectation was wrong.  Most people participated to some degree. My non-scientific opinion is that there is a very vocal minority on CC that doesn't want or like formal night and every anecdotal exception is amplified to make it seem like that is the norm.  The opposite appears to be true.

As an FYI, slacks and a collared shirt IS considered dressing up to many, if not most people. Considering I were shorts and a polo shirt to work every day, and button down collared short and slacks is downright snazzy.

We don't do formal night because we pack light and just want to be laidback on vacations. We don't really dress any differently for that night than we do dinners the rest of the cruise: sundresses for me and my daughter and slacks and a Tommy Bahama for DH.  However, I do like some of the photography backgrounds so I usually make them get a pic in front of one or two before we head to Izumi or Johnny Rockets.

52 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

As an FYI, slacks and a collared shirt IS considered dressing up to many, if not most people. Considering I were shorts and a polo shirt to work every day, and button down collared short and slacks is downright snazzy.

I think that this is true.  What dressing formal has definitely changed over time.  I think that that only reinforces my poll results.  The vast majority try to step up their dress on formal nights irrespective of the very vocal minority on CC. 

• Like 3

On 6/13/2020 at 7:33 AM, Pitcruiser said:

Formal night is dead as a concept.

+1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:05 AM, Tree_skier said:

I would say that my poll indicates otherwise. Almost 69% of respondents say that they dress up to some degree for formal night.  Most commenting who do dress up, say they enjoy it.  When I first started posting on CC's Royal forum, prior to my 2018 cruise on Liberty, I was led to believe, like you, that formal night was dead.  My previous experience with royal was 2008 so I was surprised because back then it was very much adhered to.  I expected the number who adhered to recommended dress codes to be very limited.  That expectation was wrong.  Most people participated to some degree. My non-scientific opinion is that there is a very vocal minority on CC that doesn't want or like formal night and every anecdotal exception is amplified to make it seem like that is the norm.  The opposite appears to be true.

I aim for the middle, with sports jacket, but mostly so I don't stand out.  My goal is to not be noticed, but that doesn't mean I support formal night.  I wouldn't say I enjoy dressing up, but it's not like it's a horrible nuisance.  I would rather it go away though, like the relic of the times it is.  I feel like the majority of people not on these boards are similar.  The majority in general don't want to offend, but I doubt many these days especially newer cruisers care for it.

Edited by UnorigionalName

In the past, we always did ALL the "formal" nights formally....tux or dark suit for hubby and gown or cocktail dress for me.  It's NICE to look good!

Nowadays, with luggage restrictions on planes, and relaxed dress "codes", I might still do a cocktail dress, and hubby, dress pants, nice shirt.  (He really hates jackets).....and all would be fine!

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

I will admit I am much more up to date with Carnival's dress code than Royals (108 nights on Carnival and only 37 on Royal) and have always assumed they have similar, if not the same dress code, but on Carnival, slacks, collared shirt, shoes that are not tennis shoes, are acceptable for formal (elegant) night. I may have to do some more studying on the specifics of Royal (though I will say, only 37 Royal nights, on formal nights, 90% of the men were dressed the exact same way I was which leads me to believe that Royal's dress code is the same as Carnival's).

It leads me to believe that 90% of the men do not follow RCI'S suggestions for manner of dress. Though, for the record, I could not care any less.

36 minutes ago, Mallefiscent said:

Where would I get information on getting pictures on a casual night? 

We did these pictures on Radiance of the Seas from Hawaii to Vancouver a number of years ago.  I would ask somebody who has been on the ship and itinerary you are thinking about and ask them what they are doing lately.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 8:21 PM, Ocean Boy said:

It leads me to believe that 90% of the men do not follow RCI'S suggestions for manner of dress. Though, for the record, I could not care any less.

So, we were recently on the Allure and because of topics like this, we looked around our area of the MDR on "formal" night (dress your best). Men's dress is the easiest to see. In our section of the dining room, there were 0% tuxes, 10% suit and tie, 20% sport coats, 60% casual cruise attire, 10% shorts. Hubby and I were in the casual cruise attire category.

We have cruised for decades and it has been a long while since we bother to pack formal attire. Can't be bothered any longer. It is now extinct like the dinosaurs. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, Tree_skier said:

I have always dressed reasonably well for formal night. I know I don't go to town with a tuxedo like they did in a bygone time but I certainly try to put my best on for a couple of nights on a seven day cruise.  For me it is a black suit and for DW it would an outfit that she would wear to a wedding (somebody else's, not ours 😀 ). I've read on CC that formal night is dead and almost nobody bothers anymore but that has not been my experience.  I have definitely seen folks that ignored the dress suggestion listed in the cruise compass but it seemed to me everyone upped their game some.  What do you do on formal night?

My observations square with the poll results so far- 70% or so of the passengers dress up a bit more than they do on non-formal nights. I did bring my tux on one sailing, when we were celebrating 25 years together. We wanted a special picture to commemorate the event. Normally I wear a business suit and she wears a nice dress. On non-formal nights I wear business casual.

7 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

Where would I get information on getting pictures on a casual night? 

Every ship I've been on (on every line even) the photographers are out every night so you can definitely have pictures taken on casual night. 

• Like 1

Always wear an evening gown on formal night. I've got one that travels well; relatively light and non-crease so if I'm flying I'll take that for one and a cocktail dress for the other. When I'm not flying I take three evening gowns because I'm usually on a 14 night when I don't fly. Also it really all depends on where you're cruising. On Caribbean cruises I have noticed that less people dress up. On cruises out of UK the majority are dressed formally in tuxes or suits (or kilts) and long evening dresses or sparkly cocktail dresses. Med cruises tend to be more of a mix.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Every ship I've been on (on every line even) the photographers are out every night so you can definitely have pictures taken on casual night. 

Thank you very much.  My son and I have already been discussing how we want to coordinate. 

JMO I feel formal nights at least on the big three cruise lines are an anachronism. Especially during Summer sailings and if flying to the port city. Never a fan of dressing to the nines. However I feel its your choice. I like to pack as minimal as possible. Dress ups (suits, tux, fancy dresses/gowns for the ladies and the extra pair of footwear add several pounds. I work in the airline industry and heavy baggage is a pain in the butt.I'm on vacation and don't feel obligated to go through with the extra effort. Same goes for Haloween cruising. I've changed my mind, I think Ill be suave and sophisticated and go with a tuxedo, shirt that is!

614MLSPqVBL._AC_UY780_.jpg

Edited by zippyjet
wanted to switch to a larger font. And share an image.

We enjoy dressing up on Formal night- not a long gown- but cocktail attire.  My DH wears a fancy tuxedo type jacket with french cuff shirts and a tie. 

The pictures make a great memory for us of a special time.  Especially now!  The next time we sail it will be a true celebration so we will really dress up to celebrate-  Living in sweats and very informal attire now.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

We enjoy dressing up on Formal night- not a long gown- but cocktail attire.  My DH wears a fancy tuxedo type jacket with french cuff shirts and a tie. 

The pictures make a great memory for us of a special time.  Especially now!  The next time we sail it will be a true celebration so we will really dress up to celebrate-  Living in sweats and very informal attire now.

That is exactly how we feel after a while.You look at the picture and it brings back great memories,who we were 

sitting with who they were where they came from If I was wearing a tee shirt that nite I don't think is the same feeling..

Regards,

Manny & Lydia LI NY

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, cured said:

Found this suit for the hubby.  Seems it would be lighter to pack. He would add a tie or bow tie.  Thinking this would be a great Father's Day present for our next cruise.  Shorts aren't really shorts when they are paired with a suit jacket, are they?

Floral Hawaiian Short Sleeve Blazer

I don't see it......

On 6/16/2020 at 4:39 PM, Tree_skier said:

I think that this is true.  What dressing formal has definitely changed over time.  I think that that only reinforces my poll results.  The vast majority try to step up their dress on formal nights irrespective of the very vocal minority on CC. 

The vocal majority don’t dress up on formal night. Royal no longer call it formal night because they are evolving with the times. If RCCL is to survive, they need to cater to the next generation contemporary cruiser. Us old folks who have cruised for decades (and will continue to cruise regardless) need to evolve too, else suffer the fate of the extinct dinosaurs.  

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1