183 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do for formal night

• Tuxedo/Evening gown
    • Dark suit/dress
    • Blazer/Skirt or pant suit
    • Golf shirt/Capris
    • Bermuda shorts/Leggings and a cover up
    • Jeans and a T-shirt

Found this suit for the hubby.  Seems it would be lighter to pack. He would add a tie or bow tie.  Thinking this would be a great Father's Day present for our next cruise.  Shorts aren't really shorts when they are paired with a suit jacket, are they?

Floral Hawaiian Short Sleeve Blazer

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fredflint said:

I take one suitcase for a 14 day cruise with 1-3 days pre-cruise.  My carryon has all of the electronics and batteries as well as medications no clothing.  No space for anything that is as limited as a suit.  I usually bring a pair of darker sneakers and flip flops for the pool.  Maybe one button down shirt, but probably not, along with 2 pairs of pants in case it is cool somewhere.

We usually do 12 to 16 day cruises and since most are out of the country, usually do 5 to 10 days additional.  Wife brings cocktails dresses for each formal night and sun dresses for the other nights.  And shoes to match.  I brink one jacket,  a few pairs of paints and shirts, plus casual.  Together we have 2 checked bags and 2 carry on bags.  

So we dress for formal nights, but not tux,  I usually have a jacket, dark plants and a shirt to coordinate with my wife’s cocktail dress

16 minutes ago, Mallefiscent said:

For those of you who wear dresses, do you get cold?  Being from Phoenix, I get cold very easily, so I'm a little wary of wearing a shorter dress in a cold dining room. 

No worry's

28f2af59-67d0-4f3a-adeb-ca3b80cf2500-2_5

Lion fur

• Haha 1

I was really hoping @Ocean Boy would be chiming in here.  We really need his medically trained analytical mind working on this topic with us.  

Also where is @xpcdoojk 's common sense addition to this essential cruising discussion. Maybe I should have included an option in the poll for people coming to the MDR on formal night directly from the Flowrider.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

I was really hoping @Ocean Boy would be chiming in here.  We really need his medically trained analytical mind working on this topic with us.  

Also where is @xpcdoojk 's common sense addition to this essential cruising discussion. Maybe I should have included an option in the poll for people coming to the MDR on formal night directly from the Flowrider.  

Is this your idea for a diversion from the new mask thread?

• Haha 1

The last time I wore a jacket was at the French Laundry restaurant only because they require it. The only time I wore a suit on a cruise was on Navigator. I didn’t enjoy having to wear multiple layers of clothing because I get hot easy and if I have to take off my jacket when I sit down to eat just so I can be comfortable, then there’s no reason to wear one. 

So I just go with a Hawaiian shirt and jeans that look like khakis and avoid the MDR during formal nights. 

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Is it black? 🙂 

My nic is actually from a song...

But yes, most the time black

10 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm curious about the comments about luggage space being problem.  We've read that on this thread and many thread that talks about formal night attire here on CC.  I must just be a better packer than most.  I would think that most people travel with at least a suitcase and a carry-on.  For a seven day cruise plus a day precruise and a day post cruise I pack a suit, two white shirts, three collared, long sleeve shirts (various colors and patterns) for non-formal night dining and a pair of David Eden shoes. Also, two pairs of "Docker" type pants along with all of the casual wear I need.  I still have room for an extra pair or two of shoes for my wife. If you roll everything up, except the suit, you have a lot more space.

I have heard of people who can cruise for 7 or 10 days out of just a backpack...

I am an over packer from hell but we typically drive. The 2 times we flew, we had 2 pieces of luggage and 1 carry-on

I didn't vote because it depends.

I do have a pretty nice formal gown I purchased because it packs well and I do take it along. All the recent cruises were Caribbean cruises, though, and I only wore it mostly to get some good out of it a couple of times. Few women on any of those wore actual formal gowns. I can probably count the number of men I saw in a tux on one hand for all of them. Most men wear slacks and a dress shirt or Mexican wedding shirt with khakis. I see a lot of dark jeans, too. Most women wear nice maxi dresses or sun dresses. I always see a good few women in cocktail dresses which are different to formal gowns and there are always a good few getting another wear out of their prom gown.

I just don't think it matters that much anymore on Caribbean cruises. I think people should wear what they want within reason and not bother what others are wearing. I think shorts and a wife beater ought to be turned away, but I don't mind the maxi dresses or the men in dark jeans and a dress shirt.

For something like a transatlantic where the entertainment is being on the ship I can see at least requiring a jacket I think. I could see seating one floor or area of the dining room with only those wearing formal wear on most cruises.

When I looked up the most recent version of the Cruise Compass for our next planned cruise which is another Caribbean it said something along the lines of dressing up suggested which I think is what is reasonable for most people. Outside of cruising I haven't needed a formal gown in years just like most everyone else. I think they should make it fun for those who want to dress up and let the rest just be dressy but not formal. I can see my spouse and I dressing up on some cruises just for the fun of it but most times we're happy to be able to relax and enjoy our meal.

8 hours ago, cured said:

Found this suit for the hubby.  Seems it would be lighter to pack. He would add a tie or bow tie.  Thinking this would be a great Father's Day present for our next cruise.  Shorts aren't really shorts when they are paired with a suit jacket, are they?

Floral Hawaiian Short Sleeve Blazer

If you can get him in it I want to see photos! 🤣

6 hours ago, Mallefiscent said:

For those of you who wear dresses, do you get cold?  Being from Phoenix, I get cold very easily, so I'm a little wary of wearing a shorter dress in a cold dining room. 

Just have a couple of glasses of wine. You soon won’t notice 😉

All joking aside (although the wine does help!) the dining room can get quite warm at times depending on where you sit.

Edited by Spurschick

3 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

How do people dress in specialty restaurants on formal night?  Do people dress the same as in the MDR or do they dress up a little more?

DH purposely books specialty for formal night so he doesn’t have to dress up 🙄 he will just wear slacks and short sleeve shirt and that’s only after I nag him 😂

Edited by Spurschick

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Is this your idea for a diversion from the new mask thread?

😇

My tipping thread seems to have run it's course.  So this is the next phase in my re-opening plan 

👍

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rs45thompson said:

How do people dress in specialty restaurants on formal night?  Do people dress the same as in the MDR or do they dress up a little more?

Formal nights its a suit for no matter where I am eating.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Just have a couple of glasses of wine. You soon won’t notice 😉

All joking aside (although the wine does help!) the dining room can get quite warm at times depending on where you sit.

Lol.   You don't want to see me drink.  I am a total lightweight, so it doesn't take much for me.  The last time I drank, I had a third of a wine cooler and planned on car surfing down my street.  My oldest son told me I had enough and took it away from me.  It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

Hopefully I can find one of those warm places to sit and eat.  🙂

Edited by Mallefiscent

47 minutes ago, Mallefiscent said:

Lol.   You don't want to see me drink.  I am a total lightweight, so it doesn't take much for me.  The last time I drank, I had a third of a wine cooler and planned on car surfing down my street.  My oldest son told me I had enough and took it away from me.  It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

Hopefully I can find one of those warm places to sit and eat.  🙂

Lol!

Sit by window it’s warmer. Lower ceilings. Best airflow is in middle where it’s open to the decks above. Does not get as stuffy and warm there. My dad prefers it as he doesn’t end up dripping in a suit! But DH doesn’t like being in full view.

11 hours ago, fredflint said:

Buy a tuxedo for sure, I purchased mine years ago from a tuxedo rental place, you can get great deals on rented tuxes as well as new ones.  Back in 2000 I purchased mine for 99 bucks and they threw in a shirt too.  The cummerbunds usually come as a set but you can buy them as separates, Don't forget  studs and cufflinks too.

You can still buy them for ~99bucks today!

https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/product/2593718?color=BLACK&utm_source=adlucent&utm_medium=feeds&utm_content=google&utm_channel=low_nd_shop&sid=545650&utm_term=545650&aid=[ADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - Categories - Brand - [Desktop]&utm_campaign=5BADL] [PLA] [Shopping] - Categories - Brand - [Desktop]&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncyIzOP86QIVE9bACh0vlQ77EAYYByABEgK5WfD_BwE

image.png.bf9e0f1b15cc71f3f2608219c9dd32c7.png

9213592.jpg61Umfhn8iiL._AC_UX679_.jpg

Nice studs.

10 minutes ago, Spurschick said:

Lol!

Sit by window it’s warmer. Lower ceilings. Best airflow is in middle where it’s open to the decks above. Does not get as stuffy and warm there. My dad prefers it as he doesn’t end up dripping in a suit! But DH doesn’t like being in full view.

Sitting by the window sounds heavenly.   Everyone else will just have to suffer from the heat. >:)  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spurschick said:

DH purposely books specialty for formal night so he doesn’t have to dress up 🙄 he will just wear slacks and short sleeve shirt and that’s only after I nag him 😂

That's a relief.  That is how my husband and son dresses, so it should be fine.  Thank you!