Wondering what other cruisers think

Denmal

On 6/15/2020 at 4:08 PM, Denmal said:

Mandatory ED card* to be filled in – this will be available online as of June 25th at www.edcardaruba.aw

Isn't this something Bob Dole used to advertise?

On 6/16/2020 at 10:09 AM, Steelers36 said:

Next winter is a long time from now.  Impossible to accurately predict, but I predict all Caribbean will be open and ships will be sailing.  

Are you interested in a wager?

As the original poster invited guesses, my guess is no.

Given Aruba's location, other islands in the neighborhood would have to be open as well for the cruise to make sense.

To the original poster ... if my guess turns out to be wrong, you will be entitled to a full refund, no questions asked.

What is the sane, rational, logical, science-based explanation Aruba officials have disclosed to the public that form the basis of this policy? If they cant provide one than no sane, rational, logical, science-based explanation exists and its all a scam, sham, ruse.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

And a 30% loss of balance due to inner ear disease.  No need to throw everyone into the fat and lazy bucket.

Oh, I'm fat and lazy as well but my knees (and especially my wife's knees) don't like the stairs anymore. 😄

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will also tell you that on a Royal Class ship, climbing from Deck 5 (International cafe and atrium) to deck 16 is not for the faint of heart.  It is tough...even for those in pretty good shape.

Hank

My preference....  3 floors or less = stairs.  My wife's preference... 5 floors or less = stairs.  She often wins.  Deck 5 to 16?  Ain't gonna happen.🤢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

My preference....  3 floors or less = stairs.  My wife's preference... 5 floors or less = stairs.  She often wins.  Deck 5 to 16?  Ain't gonna happen.🤢

Last year we were sunning on the Regal Princess (Deck 17) and I decided to go down to deck 5 to get a specialty coffee drink at the International Cafe.  I walked down which was not a big deal.  After I got my coffee I walked over to the center elevators and then changed my mind and decided to walk back to deck 17 which is 11 decks.  I managed to make it but was completely exhausted!  I never tried it again   And consider at the time I was 71!  I agree with your wife..  5 -6 decks up is my limit although I have no limit when going down,  It is hard on the ole knees :(.

Hank

• Like 3

7 hours ago, muffydawg said:

What is the sane, rational, logical, science-based explanation Aruba officials have disclosed to the public that form the basis of this policy? If they cant provide one than no sane, rational, logical, science-based explanation exists and its all a scam, sham, ruse.

This feels like a scam to me as well.  "Oh, sorry, we don't recognize that pharmacy; but we have a test here for $120 that you can take."  "Oh, RiteAid last week?  Sorry, you're 12 hours over the deadline; but we have a test here for $120 that you can take." etc

35 minutes ago, WAMarathoner said:

This feels like a scam to me as well.  "Oh, sorry, we don't recognize that pharmacy; but we have a test here for $120 that you can take."  "Oh, RiteAid last week?  Sorry, you're 12 hours over the deadline; but we have a test here for $120 that you can take." etc

We are probably going to see more proof of a negative COVID test for travel in the future.  Iceland requires all arriving visitors to have a COVID test at entry and then in 2 hours they are notified by text if they are positive or negative.  Negative test allows travel freely in country and negative test means 14 day quarantine at your own expense.  Hawaii is looking at all visitors from the mainland having proof of a negative COVID test 72 hours before arrival when the open up less restrictive travel requirements later this summer.  Emirates is testing passengers prior to departure.  New Zealand is looking at these options too.  Aruba is not out of the norm now as travel opens up with restrictions.

Princess would be smart to have testing set up as part of pre-boarding and if passengers tests positive for COVID they do not cruise.  Without effective treatment, lack of vaccine and only some people following guidelines and other not others it is probably an effective way to basically promote a COVID Safe cruise.  It would be a revenue generator for them and also allow them to lower the risk of COVID spread on one of their ships.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hlitner said:

You are being defensive.  I specifically said that "many cruisers cannot possibly use steps."  

Hank

Actually, what you said that I took offense to was:  "Most cruisers will not even use steps to go down one deck and many cruisers cannot possibly use steps to go up a few decks (it would kill those folks to get some exercise)."  That is passing judgement on other people, especially if one goes on to expound on how he does lots of stair walking.

I am not being defensive, because I use stairs when necessary.  I'm just plain offended by your attitude and words.  

A little compassion goes a long way.  I'm on my third family member who is handicapped, and I know there are some people that need to use elevators, but don't look like they do.

Paul Gauguin cruises is starting again in French Polynesia with a requirement that you must have a test within 48 hours before boarding. Also, French Polynesia requires a test within 72 hours of boarding a plane to fly there there.

The test required by French Polynesia will be too old to qualify to board the ship.

Also, at least where we live, we are nowhere close to "anyone who wants a test can get a test." Plus, there is no guarantee you can find a test that gets the results back in 15 minutes. So even someone getting a test 72 hours before boarding a plane has no guarantee that the results will be back in time.

I would not be booking any cruise whose travel to or boarding requires I must get a Covid-19 test with the results needing to be back in a very short period of time.

By the way, Paul Gauguin cruises also requires a doctor's note saying you are fit to sail. You must send this to them 30 days before the cruise.

6 hours ago, Thrak said:

Oh, I'm fat and lazy as well but my knees (and especially my wife's knees) don't like the stairs anymore. 😄

Oh gosh my post wasn't directed at you! Hope you didn't take offense!

15 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Oh gosh my post wasn't directed at you! Hope you didn't take offense!

Bwahahahahahahahaaaa... No worries. If I can't poke fun at myself who can?

Think about how worthless a test, 72 hours before a cruise, would be in real practice.  Lets say I could get a 15 min test (not possible where we live) on Thursday because I am embarking on a cruise from Florida on that same Saturday.  So I get a test on Thursday morning which is negative (we will not talk about false negatives).  On Friday I leave my home, go to an airport, get on a plane, and fly to Florida where I check-in a hotel.  Friday night I go out to a Florida restaurant (we are talking about Florida where there is now a new surge in virus cases) have my dinner.  Saturday morning I go for my hotel breakfast which is crowded with other travelers (many of whom have recently traveled through airports, planes, etc).  Then later that same day I embark on a cruise with proof that I was negative on Thursday.  Or course when I took that Thursday test I was pretty much isolating in my own home, not going out to restaurants, etc.  But after I took that test I have traveled 1000 miles, been in hotels, eaten in restaurants, been on a packed plane, etc.  What good is that Thursday test?  The reality is that it is as worthless as a temperature test (consider that nearly 2/3 of NYC COVID-19 hospital admissions had normal temperature).   And since any virus I contracted during my journey to the ship is still in its incubation period there will likely be no symptoms until AFTER I board a ship.  And it would be the same if I were traveling from home to Aruba or to any other place that requires a test.  

What a crock!  Sure, this stuff is all politically correct but near worthless in practice.   Many of us share the frustration caused by COVID-19 concerns.  But doing things (like tests) for the sake of doing anything is actually like doing nothing!

Hank

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Think about how worthless a test, 72 hours before a cruise, would be in real practice.  Lets say I could get a 15 min test (not possible where we live) on Thursday because I am embarking on a cruise from Florida on that same Saturday.  So I get a test on Thursday morning which is negative (we will not talk about false negatives).  On Friday I leave my home, go to an airport, get on a plane, and fly to Florida where I check-in a hotel.  Friday night I go out to a Florida restaurant (we are talking about Florida where there is now a new surge in virus cases) have my dinner.  Saturday morning I go for my hotel breakfast which is crowded with other travelers (many of whom have recently traveled through airports, planes, etc).  Then later that same day I embark on a cruise with proof that I was negative on Thursday.  Or course when I took that Thursday test I was pretty much isolating in my own home, not going out to restaurants, etc.  But after I took that test I have traveled 1000 miles, been in hotels, eaten in restaurants, been on a packed plane, etc.  What good is that Thursday test?  The reality is that it is as worthless as a temperature test (consider that nearly 2/3 of NYC COVID-19 hospital admissions had normal temperature).   And since any virus I contracted during my journey to the ship is still in its incubation period there will likely be no symptoms until AFTER I board a ship.  And it would be the same if I were traveling from home to Aruba or to any other place that requires a test.  

What a crock!  Sure, this stuff is all politically correct but near worthless in practice.   Many of us share the frustration caused by COVID-19 concerns.  But doing things (like tests) for the sake of doing anything is actually like doing nothing!

Hank

I would rather be on a ship where everyone had been tested... hopefully by the cruise line within 24 hours of boarding then on a ship with people who would lie on a paper health form prior to boarding.... rapid testing will be the norm if no treatment or vaccines are developed....cruise lines are going to have to go to great lengths to convince passengers that their vessels are COVID Safe or they will be economically crippled and probably not viable businesses.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I would rather be on a ship where everyone had been tested... hopefully by the cruise line within 24 hours of boarding then on a ship with people who would lie on a paper health form prior to boarding.... rapid testing will be the norm if no treatment or vaccines are developed....cruise lines are going to have to go to great lengths to convince passengers that their vessels are COVID Safe or they will be economically crippled and probably not viable businesses.  

The bigger problem is what happens when even one passenger, onboard, were to test positive.  Currently that would mean the entire ship would go into immediate quarantine, with everyone confined to their cabins, for at least 14 days.  And even after 14 days, assuming there is not any additional cases (which would mean an even longer quarantine) the cruise line would need to find a port somewhere in the world that would allow the ship to dock.   Many folks are not in a position where they can risk being imprisoned on a cruise ship for many weeks.

Hank

• Like 3

On 6/18/2020 at 10:18 AM, muffydawg said:

Fine.  Whatcha goin' do about it?

The Government of Aruba has no incentive to 'prove' anything to random, anonymous internet posters.

If you don't like their policy, I think your response is probably limited to not going there.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The bigger problem is what happens when even one passenger, onboard, were to test positive.  Currently that would mean the entire ship would go into immediate quarantine, with everyone confined to their cabins, for at least 14 days.  And even after 14 days, assuming there is not any additional cases (which would mean an even longer quarantine) the cruise line would need to find a port somewhere in the world that would allow the ship to dock.   Many folks are not in a position where they can risk being imprisoned on a cruise ship for many weeks.

Hank

And there in lies the problem for the cruise industry.... probably a no win as long as COVID - 19 is circulating freely.....

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Fine.  Whatcha goin' do about it?

The Government of Aruba has no incentive to 'prove' anything to random, anonymous internet posters.

If you don't like their policy, I think your response is probably limited to not going there.

I agree with you Roberto256...The Government of Aruba can do whatever they damn please.  If you do not like their rules..do not go. Since they are now one of the first Caribbean countries to open..I expect to see each island's government establish their own rules. I am betting, many will follow Aruba's new policies.  If not followed, they can and will probably not let a ship dock.  Currently, Aruba is not open to all countries of the world,  this too is their decision. (They are expected to make further health insurance mandates on June 24.  I think they are in answer to visitors who usually spend many weeks at a time there and looking for a lower health insurance rate than $15pp per day.)

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 9:18 PM, Hlitner said:

Hank

Even worse..... What happens if the cruise lines administer rapid tests before boarding?  If someone test positive, is everyone they came in contact with also denied boarding?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mnocket said:

Even worse..... What happens if the cruise lines administer rapid tests before boarding?  If someone test positive, is everyone they came in contact with also denied boarding?

COVID-19 sounds like an impossible scenario for the cruise lines.....maybe cruising in 2022 if there is a vaccine or cost effective treatment for the virus or the virus dies out.....until then there seems NO way for cruise lines to guarantee COVID Safe cruising and one case onboard can make the cruise a nightmare for everyone involved including the cruiseline.

Edited by PrincessLuver

14 hours ago, Fat Albert said:

Hank, Princess HAS escalators on  ships that take the passengers up to skywalkers lounge .   The Golden,Star and Grand had them installed many yrs ago.

It is a flat moving beltway, not an escalator which turns into steps on its way up or down.

• Like 1

If your cruise does take place it might be new world of cruising. No ports, because it’s possible to transmit or pickup virus in port. So the only place that can be controlled is private island. So maybe more private islands will be built. Maybe it will be more like going to a resort like Sandals. Will people pay for this kind of vacation? We have fifty cruises and I am more worried about being quarantined than having no buffet. We are booked on the Enchantment Jan 2021 have no idea yet if we will go. No easy answers.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

It is a flat moving beltway, not an escalator which turns into steps on its way up or down.

Tru dat!

I half-remember touring a HAL ship in about 1990.

I thought it had an escalator between the purser's desk, and one deck up.

But, as the magic 8 ball would say ... answer is hazy.

Maybe it was on the ship with the giant lump of cheese.

(sorry lactose-tolerant ... it was art, not food)