Carnival to Dump Six Ships

besberry

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Any idea where she is going - is it possible that she is just heading off to Weymouth Bay?

Marella Explorer has just joined the fleet in Weymouth Bay

No Punch & Judy but you can bring your binoculars and watch the ships

• Like 1

Oh dear.  If Oceana goes that is another one down and only two mid sized ships left.  We are booked on Aurora for the N. American Eastern Seaboard Sept 2021 and I do hope we make it.  The larger ships have little interest to us at all.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

As you are one of the very few posters on here that I take much notice of, it seems like bad news for Oceana then.. 

Off to the great scrapyard in the sea... 

Andy 

I too have heard from a normally accurate source that her days are numbered...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No pager thank you said:

If the itineraries are managed by another ship, then potentially no refunds from P&O.

There will still need to be a full rebooking undertaken as any other ship will have totally different deck plans.

• Like 1

I know that P&O have already said that itineraries may have to be changed once they resume operations but if she does leave the fleet quickly, it will be a nightmare for both the booked pax and P&O!

• Like 3

I would anticipate that some of the duplication will disappear. Ventura is sailing similar to Iona pre Christmas. There are Med and Canaries cruises on the adults only ships 0which are broadly duplicated by family ships. I expect some rationalisation. It does free up an adult only ship. This is fine except for the Christmas middle-East cruise. It would be different when we consider Summer itenaries.

3 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There will still need to be a full rebooking undertaken as any other ship will have totally different deck plans.

Yes, I would agree. 

However, on the working assumption that any replacement ship has at least the same numbers and orientation of cabins available, then a rebooking process could be achieved, if required.  A rebooking of the ship, if not the itinerary or standard of cabin may not count as a major change. 

This would be almost guaranteed if Oceana itineraries were replaced with those from a larger, as opposed to mid sized ship.

In fairness, if the replacement ship is unacceptable to the passenger and this is confirmed immediately, then hopefully very few final balances will have been paid.

2 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

In fairness, if the replacement ship is unacceptable to the passenger and this is confirmed immediately, then hopefully very few final balances will have been paid.

This is why I’m expecting we will get some kind of announcement at the end of this week / start of next - before the direct balance due date arrives.

Even if it’s just to push the balance due date out a month while other plans are confirmed.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Change of ship to one of the bigger ones is clearly a significant change, so passengers also entitled to refund of wanted.

Just now, molecrochip said:

This is why I’m expecting we will get some kind of announcement at the end of this week / start of next - before the direct balance due date arrives.

Even if it’s just to push the balance due date out a month while other plans are confirmed.

Others may disagree, but that seems to be fair to me. 

This could affect us indirectly, as we are planned to be on Iona at Christmas, but, reading between the lines, it would seem more likely that another ship will be "re-routed" for Christmas and New Year.

If there is an immediate overbooking problem, common sense would suggest it will be the festive season cruises.

What I would say of course is that it would be a good idea for P&O to take Oceana off sale on "Super Saturday," if am announcement is expected, as that is less fair to passengers.

9 minutes ago, tring said:

Change of ship to one of the bigger ones is clearly a significant change, so passengers also entitled to refund of wanted.

That will depend on the company's stance.  If the replacement ship is of at least the same or a higher standard then it will not be necessarily be a major change as per the regulations.

It would be common sense though for P&O to be flexible in the circumstances, however they will want to keep cashflow.

If indeed all of this comes to pass (none of us can be 100% sure), then I agree that I hope P&O will be flexible.  If I were booked on a cruise aboard Oceana and it was changed to Ventura, I would want to be able to cancel with a full refund. I may be in a minority with that but I am sure I would not be the only one.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

Others may disagree, but that seems to be fair to me. 

This could affect us indirectly, as we are planned to be on Iona at Christmas, but, reading between the lines, it would seem more likely that another ship will be "re-routed" for Christmas and New Year.

If there is an immediate overbooking problem, common sense would suggest it will be the festive season cruises.

What I would say of course is that it would be a good idea for P&O to take Oceana off sale on "Super Saturday," if am announcement is expected, as that is less fair to passengers.

I don’t think Iona will be rerouted but Ventura has an almost identical cruise so could be sent somewhere else.

Im also on Iona at Christmas.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Marella Explorer has just joined the fleet in Weymouth Bay

No Punch & Judy but you can bring your binoculars and watch the ships

If social distancing isn't possible, can't you have either punch, or Judy. The policeman can enforce the guidelines.😁

8 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

I don’t think Iona will be rerouted but Ventura has an almost identical cruise so could be sent somewhere else.

Im also on Iona at Christmas.

Hopefully it will be possible to move Ventura's scheduled guests on to Iona.  I would imagine though that the combined existing bookings will be higher than the current capacity of Iona, awaits to be seen.  

I would imagine this would be relatively acceptable solution to most, but not all, passengers.  Very few Ventura guests will bother I would suggest, perhaps a few more of the original Oceana guests.

I'm actually getting more confident that we'll just about avoid a cruise free 2020, fingers crossed (for both of us)!

6 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There was also due to be an adults only Christmas cruise to the Canaries. One hopes that 3 into 2 might go.

That's true, I had forgotten about the third ship running the itinerary.  3 in to 2 has a better chance of going.  

Certainly fine, one would have thought, for the lower season November / December cruises.  The only thing which might affect this is how strong the FCC demand has been for cancelled sailings.  I would imagine that the current fill rate is higher than normal for that reason.

12 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

There was also due to be an adults only Christmas cruise to the Canaries. One hopes that 3 into 2 might go.

That type of cruise more popular in USA. They put pineapples on the cabin door🤔

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Farewell lovely Oceana.  Some great memories.  At least we got to cruise on her in January this year.

Don't jump the gun just yet. Wait until it's official. I'm not saying that it won't be happening, only just to wait and see.

Avril

• Like 1