Cruise industry to extend US sailing suspension until mid-September

Eagle_and_hawk

5 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

Can you provide a link to that Information? The extension is thru Sept 15th and most cruise lines are selling cruises in October. 

I received an email from Princess telling me my Oct cruise was cancelled.  That is how I found out.

36 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

Leck57, I'll bet YOU trust scientists!  So do I, as I am also alive thanks to immunotherapy developed by scientists.

Which scientist and doctors should all believe and trust? Even they can not agree on how to treat or even prevent this disease. Right up to the CDC, FDA and the WHO.

29 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I received an email from Princess telling me my Oct cruise was cancelled.  That is how I found out.

exactly 'which' October cruise because as of yesterday there were still cruises out of LA leaving Sept and Oct, so just because "your cruise" was cancelled ...

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

Which scientist and doctors should all believe and trust? Even they can not agree on how to treat or even prevent this disease. Right up to the CDC, FDA and the WHO.

But they all agree it is serious and deadly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Oh ok. You said “the cruise industry” but in reality you were just referring to a Princess cruise. Thanks for clarifying. 

22 minutes ago, WNcruiser said:

Oh ok. You said “the cruise industry” but in reality you were just referring to a Princess cruise. Thanks for clarifying. 

and Princess still has cruises scheduled to go out of LA in Sept and October, so the blanket statement made was 

misleading, although it "may" become true

5 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I think the CDC will be looking at how Disney world and other theme parks do.   I suspect that a theme park like Disney will have thousands in close proximity, and will have some type of program in place that tracks how many people might be infected.  If large theme parks make it thru the summer with minimal exposures; that may be a good sign for the cruise industry.

I don't think the CDC has any jurisdiction over theme parks. Their mandate is to keep infectious diseases out of the USA. I believe theme parks are subject to local and state regulations.

I guess they can look to see what theme parks do as an example of what can be done, but there is a really big difference between a cruise that last several days and a theme park visit that lasts hours.

1 hour ago, portiemom said:

You could volunteer at your local medical center and see for yourself.

How do you know I do not? Or do I?

And how will that show that "they all agree it is serious and deadly"  when it will only be just a few there?

Edited by Potstech
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

How do you know I do not? Or do I?

And how will that show that "they all agree it is serious and deadly"  when it will only be just a few there?

I’m stunned that people like you have the postings that you do. Yes, all learned docs and epidemiologists believe this is a deadly, damaging disease. Not only is the current 120,000 deaths a tragedy (and they’ll continue to climb) but the devastating after-effects (with months of recuperation) of those who are hospitalized and do not die are also horrendous for many!!  Go ahead, climb onboard one of the first sailings.  I’ll just be traveling the USA in our trailer, and monitoring Cruise Critic until cruising is proven safe.

• Like 1

Sorry for confustion about my statement of cruise industry cancellations.  I was speaking about Princess;  I received an email from them telling me my Oct 27th cruise had cancelled.  Then they gave me a link to their website; which showed all the cruises cancelled;  most were for Sep/Oct.  Have a great day.

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Sorry for confustion about my statement of cruise industry cancellations.  I was speaking about Princess;  I received an email from them telling me my Oct 27th cruise had cancelled.  Then they gave me a link to their website; which showed all the cruises cancelled;  most were for Sep/Oct.  Have a great day.

but again not ALL sept & oct cruises from PRINCESS have been cancelled 

15 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

I’m stunned that people like you have the postings that you do. Yes, all learned docs and epidemiologists believe this is a deadly, damaging disease. Not only is the current 120,000 deaths a tragedy (and they’ll continue to climb) but the devastating after-effects (with months of recuperation) of those who are hospitalized and do not die are also horrendous for many!!  Go ahead, climb onboard one of the first sailings.  I’ll just be traveling the USA in our trailer, and monitoring Cruise Critic until cruising is proven safe.

Don't know why you are stunned.  The medical community seems to be as confused about the virus as everyone else.  It seems they say something different every week.  So it is so dangerous you will now travel the US in your trailer instead of staying home until a cure is out. And you think that is safe. Stunning.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Potstech said:

Don't know why you are stunned.  The medical community seems to be as confused about the virus as everyone else.  It seems they say something different every week.  So it is so dangerous you will now travel the US in your trailer instead of staying home until a cure is out. And you think that is safe. Stunning.

Actually they are saying the same thing. Since it's "novel" they don't know all there is to know about it but they know enough to say we need to stop the spread. Wearing a mask and social distancing are all they can state for prevention. Multiple labs and drug companies are looking to see what drugs work. Science is based on fact.

16 hours ago, BigGuy25 said:

You are so right......we are the only developed nation in the world that has not flattened the curve nationally and our cases are still increasing because of an inconsistent policy for dealing with COVID-19.  According to the latest report this week they went up 25% over the previous week.  We basically are headed back to square one and as more places open up and there is an indifference by about 1/2 of the population to follow guidelines we will not see any improvement in our struggle with COVID-19 as a nation for a long time.  COVID-19 is kicking our rear ends as a nation and I doubt there will be any cruising if we are lucky by the summer of next year.  You can thank the COVID-19 deniers and their actions for that!

Edited by PrincessLuver

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Yes, it’s absolutely safe to travel in a trailer with our own environment, our own food, our own bed, our own bathroom ... while camping in off-the-grid locations, and in wide open spaces  that are not only “socially distant” but actually 1,000’s of feet away from the nearest possible infectors.  So, you should have a sense of what you’re talking about before you make silly comments. While there may be differing methods that professionals are trying to use to fight the pandemic, no one with any common sense or wise logic is saying this is not a major world-wide health crisis.  When ArIzona “opened up” a month ago we were averaging 500 new cases a day. We’re now experiencing 3,000 new cases a day and climbing at alarming rates. And “no” it’s not due to increased testing. Hospitalizations are now at there highest level ever, setting new records each day, with capacity currently heading towards 90%.  I so wish some people would stop politicizing this disease and start working together to eradicate it so that we can all get back to the activities we so enjoy.  But, with so many making this a “don’t tread on me” campaign rather than working together to make everyone as safe as possible, I’m not confident that day is coming anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2020 at 5:27 AM, Potstech said:

Not surprising that there is not  clear agreement on best practices.  After all they have only been working with the virus for 6 months.  There is still more unknown than known at the current time.  However, a lot more is known today than in February, so not surprising that recommendations have changed.

Look at some of the major differences.

In early February view was that most transfer was from contaminated surfaces, now majority is considered to be airborne spread.

Then no proof of asymptomatic spread, now considerable spread from asymptomatic cases

Then main concern pneumonia   now pneumonia, strokes, kidney damage, neurological impacts, cytokine storms,blood clots.

Then do not use masks, save limited supply for health care workers,  now use masks because you might be infected and not know it.  Since it is now known that over 50% of cases  do not show symptoms

In Feb the message was if you are young you do not need to worry.  Now we have some areas where a high percentage of hospital admissions (as much as 50% in some areas) are under 50.  Because the age group did not see any reason to take precautions.

Unfortunately many people do not seem to realize that things are changing as more is learned about the virus, and instead point to outdated information as a reason not to do something.

Edited by npcl

56 minutes ago, BigGuy25 said:

Yes, it’s absolutely safe to travel in a trailer with our own environment, our own food, our own bed, our own bathroom ... while camping in off-the-grid locations, and in wide open spaces  that are not only “socially distant” but actually 1,000’s of feet away from the nearest possible infectors.  So, you should have a sense of what you’re talking about before you make silly comments. While there may be differing methods that professionals are trying to use to fight the pandemic, no one with any common sense or wise logic is saying this is not a major world-wide health crisis.  When ArIzona “opened up” a month ago we were averaging 500 new cases a day. We’re now experiencing 3,000 new cases a day and climbing at alarming rates. And “no” it’s not due to increased testing. Hospitalizations are now at there highest level ever, setting new records each day, with capacity currently heading towards 90%.  I so wish some people would stop politicizing this disease and start working together to eradicate it so that we can all get back to the activities we so enjoy.  But, with so many making this a “don’t tread on me” campaign rather than working together to make everyone as safe as possible, I’m not confident that day is coming anytime soon.

Agree with you totally and we are looking to rent a RV and head out into the wide open spaces also.  It is much easier to travel that way and more fun too than to sit around and hope a cruise goes out someday.  We are so erratic and irrational in our national approach to stopping COVID-19 with all we know about the virus that COVID-19 is really running the show as we flounder about with our fantasies of cruising again.

Edited by PrincessLuver

45 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Do you think that Princess will be doing this too?

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2753628-what-i-have-learned-today/

Yes they will......cruise lines have to play a cat and mouse game of keeping people thinking there will be cruising so they can sale the bookings, generate some immediate revenue and then down the road cancel and keep the vicious cycle going until either cruising starts or they run out of cash.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BigGuy25 said:

While camping in an RV is certainly safer than many other forms of travel, it is still higher risk than staying home. Even with an RV there will still be stops for gas, food, rest stops, etc.  Unlike being at home, each stop is with a different group of people in different areas. So it is not "absolutely safe", nor is it as safe as staying at home, but it is relatively low risk as long as one follows good distancing practices (including masks) anytime they are near others.  Just last week was in a campground where the campers were intermingling and acting like it was pre-COVID. Driving back home from Tucson (was picking up a new class B) saw folks getting out of their RVs at rest stops and used the facilities without masks.  Talked to one couple when they came over to ask about my class B. Their view was they were not staying in hotels and were staying in their RV so they were "safe".

5 minutes ago, npcl said:

While camping in an RV is certainly safer than many other forms of travel, it is still higher risk than staying home. Even with an RV there will still be stops for gas, food, rest stops, etc.  Unlike being at home, each stop is with a different group of people in different areas. So it is not "absolutely safe", nor is it as safe as staying at home, but it is relatively low risk as long as one follows good distancing practices (including masks) anytime they are near others.  Just last week was in a campground where the campers were intermingling and acting like it was pre-COVID. Driving back home from Tucson (was picking up a new class B) saw folks getting out of their RVs at rest stops and used the facilities without masks.  Talked to one couple when they came over to ask about my class B. Their view was they were not staying in hotels and were staying in their RV so they were "safe".

deleted ... not worth it

30 minutes ago, npcl said:

Unfortunately many people do not seem to realize that things are changing as more is learned about the virus, and instead point to outdated information as a reason not to do something.

Thank you for your always reasoned response.

One thing we don't know yet ... will there be any long term effects on adults.