Lawsuit

Bouff

I have just spotted a news item that reports that a law suit is being brought against Holland America by passengers who were on the Zaandam in March. Looks like more bad news for HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

9 minutes ago, Bouff said:

I have just spotted a news item that reports that a law suit is being brought against Holland America by passengers who were on the Zaandam in March. Looks like more bad news for HAL.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Can you please post the link to the news story?

It costs money to launch a lawsuit.  Especially one against a cruise line.  Probably contingency based.

What is interesting is that they probably have the money to see this one through if they must.  Costs, time, expertise spread over three law firms.   No idea what the merits will be but I would expect others on that ship to join the class action.   No doubt Carnival Corp and RCi have been preparing for this and lining up their respective outside council.

Edited by iancal

Why would you say the lawsuit  should be dismissed?  We have the complaint but the real details are yet to come.   I do not know the law or the jurisdictional issues.

Edited by iancal

7 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Why?  Do you know something about this case the rest of us don't?

No, my learned friend- I do not know anything about this case. I just think sueing cruiselines, who knew as much about the NEW virus as anyone- next to nothing by then, is just not right!

Oh how many citizens of whatever country you may name could sue their goverment for not taking appropriate messures.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, kangforpres said:

HAL Brand's reputation has really hit the skids, and not all of it has to do with the parent CCL. It seems like HAL knew things where going to go bad on this cruise but decided to sail none the less.

-Paul

You think they knew that the ports would suddenly close? Hindsight is a wonderful thing but the crystal ball does not work that well in comparison. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Greatest respect to all in the various opinions and timelines expressed. Personal opinion only, I do feel that anyone boarding this sailing or the final sailings that started in March were most likely either not up to speed on the unfolding situation or chose to ignore it risking the financial loss of cancellation and decided to take the risk. I do think there is some personal responsibility for the decision to board in the first place. My first post on this issue was February 20 about traveling concerns that was for the most part dismissed as the Princess situation in Japan was blowing up daily. We cancelled out of common sense thankfully with CFAR and are whole. Having said that the fact that the sailing went forward and the passengers boarding were assured everything was ok until it clearly was not. I do believe there is liability there. How the responsibility will be divided will be interesting for sure. Seems all umbrellas of corporate Carnival were well aware of the risks as the Princess tragedy was unfolding and still set sail for these final sailings most of which to date still have crew on ships they are unable to repatriate.             

• Like 1

I believe that the discovery procedure in this law suit, and in other lawsuits, may bring out the facts about what each cruise line knew, including HAL, and what the executive decision making criteria was..  Seems to me to be an important issue about which we know nothing at the moment.  Not to mention first hand accounts of people who were actually on the ship (s)

I don't understand how anyone could comment on the merits, or absence thereof, when he or she has zero knowledge or real insight into both the salient facts and the relevant case law.  You might feel very differently if you were on was of these ships that are, and will be the target of these litigations.  I do not think that this is straightforward for either party.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

iancal, thank you for your analysis. Spot on. 

The lawsuit should proceed and perhaps we will learn how much knowledge and risk taking took place at the cruise lines.

I will avidly follow to learn more about the likely greed culture at the top.

I feel sorry for the Cruise lines and hoped until I read this that everybody is happy to be helped or to be back home.
In my opinion nobody knew what will happen on the world because of corona.
When it started in China it seemed to be so far away for all of us. Then it was in Italy and Germany was hit also and then everything changed in only one or two weeks.
I did not accept this and I think most of the cruisers did not accept it also- otherwise they should decided to stay home and not go on a cruise.
Now after all, it is easy to say that it was Maybe a wrong decision.
I am sure the crew did their best to help everybody on the ship.
And I feel sorry that now people are starting to make money out of it.
That sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 2

When we boarded Nieuw Statendam March 8 we knew other ships had experienced covid issues.  We rolled the dice and had an amazing cruise, knowing that there was some risk.  Not just of catching the virus but of being locked up on a quarantined ship.  Yes the cruise lines knew more problems were coming, but everyone boarding in March either knew that too or was completely ignorant of what was happening in the world.  I'm sorry but anyone in a high risk category who boarded a ship in March needed to have their head examined.  And we all know there were a lot of elderly people on Zaandam.

Edited by bouhunter
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It was only a matter of time.  I'm surprised it took this long.  

Why?  Do you know something about this case the rest of us don't?

Edited by ShipWalker