Where have you visited on a cruise that you would return for a Land-only vacation?

TeeRick

46 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Bora Bora was on our bucket list but with the high cost of hotels and complexity of getting there we never thought we would...

We did love Bora Bora although I must confessed I preferred the Maldives for that feeling of really being away from it all and for snorkelling in peace and quiet.

I won’t add more details in this thread but I do think the TP itinerary is one of the most diverse you can experience...

A visit to French Polynesia on a Renaissance cruise many years ago was one of the best vacations we have ever taken. The ship, food and service was great.

On a snorkeling excursion at Moorea, the sea was as clear as glass, and the temperature of the water felt like swimming in a bath tub. At Bora Bora we swam with sharks and sea turtles and an amazing collection of fish. I would go back in a heartbeat but only on on a TP cruise. The  flights just to get to Papeete are brutal.

40 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

A visit to French Polynesia on a Renaissance cruise many years ago was one of the best vacations we have ever taken. The ship, food and service was great.

We did the same cruise on Renaissance, just before they went bankrupt.  😎

Paul Gauguin is even better.  😊

4 minutes ago, Texed said:

We did the same cruise on Renaissance, just before they went bankrupt.  😎

We did too! I was so disappointed when they went under just 4 months after our cruise.

So many!  London, Rome, Amsterdam, Barcelona.  We spent some pre- and post-cruise time in all these places and would go back in a heartbeat.   There are many places I haven't been yet like, Australia and New Zealand and South America.  The world is a big place and this darn virus is keeping me home!

11 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I had a search on Netflix and it doesn't seem to be available. Not here in the UK at least 😕

Phil 

I saw it a few months ago.  I just checked Netflix in Canada and it's still there.. If you don't have it now, watch for it. It probably will return!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As residents of Florida we have easy access to the Caribbean. It is in the neighborhood, if you will. Over the last 30 years we have traveled to most of the islands, either cruising or flying. We are not beach people either but we find land trips to be relaxing and rejuvenating. We have stayed at some lovely hotels on the various islands, enjoying the ambience and the location. Here are four of our favorites. If you Google them that will provide you with more information than I could give you here.

- The Inn At English Harbour -  Antigua 

- Gallows Point - St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands

- Coral Reef Club - Barbados

- Anse Chastanet - St. Lucia

I think you will enjoy browsing.

Spif- thank you for this list.  Are they all-inclusive resorts?  At least that would be like staying in a suite on Celebrity.

So many lovely places on this thread so many places we want to visit sigh! We are relatively new to cruising but have travelled Europe extensively by land but discovered Lisbon on a Silhouette Western Med Cruise and have been back.

We liked Singapore at the end of our HK to Singapore cruise so planned a pre cruise stay when doing the Singapore to Dubai cruise but that got changed at the start of all this to a Dubai to Dubai cruise so Singapore is on the wish list.

I'd happily spend more time in St Petersburg and explore more of Russia.

Fingers crossed we have a France and Spain cruise next year places we've been but happy to go back but then an Ireland/Iceland one later in year very excited about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Spif- thank you for this list.  Are they all-inclusive resorts?  At least that would be like staying in a suite on Celebrity.

TR - They are not all-inclusive. There are many wonderful chefs in the Caribbean, including ex-pats who have brought their culinary excellence to many of the islands. When staying several days at a particular destination, part of that enjoyment involves eating at those restaurants. Therefore, all-inclusive resorts do not work for us. 

On 6/28/2020 at 2:27 PM, MamaFej said:

We were on that cruise with Jim and Kathleen. He's right.

DO IT!

You have a couple of sea days to rest and restore after the seemingly non-stop time in amazing Iceland.

DO IT!

We were also on Reflection last June. Awesome trip. Yes just do it!

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 6:08 AM, TeeRick said:

I would love to get there at least once!

The first time we were in Bora Bora we did a Helmet Dive that I organized.  It was truly amazing and the highlight of the cruise.  If you get to Bora Bora, I would highly recommend it.

11 hours ago, TeaBag said:

The first time we were in Bora Bora we did a Helmet Dive that I organized.  It was truly amazing and the highlight of the cruise.  If you get to Bora Bora, I would highly recommend it.

T.B.

We did the helmet dive also.  It was a blast.  Jacquie didn't even get her hair wet.  😎

• Like 1

Staying here in Ireland this year, will be holidaying in Donegal, exploring my home county and Kerry, a bit further away. 

We are being encouraged by public health officials here to not take any unnecessary international travel for the time being.

• Like 1

Great topic... Our go to land vacation is Hawaii as we love the consistent weather and the friendliness of the Hawaiian people. Would love to also stay put in Santorini or Mykonos, Aruba, Bermuda and anywhere in Italy. 

Would  love to take a TP from Hawaii or Sydney to French Polynesia. I visited Bora Bora, Moorea and Papeete on a land based work trip and visited every hotel so I would love to visit that area again on a cruise. 

Will be staying in our Atlantic Bubble for now.

• Like 1

I don't think I would want to leave Canada, even if borders are open.  I think we'd fly to Quebec, rent a car and head to New Brunswick.  Specifically the Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews-by-the-Sea.  I'd just sit on a lawn chair and watch the ocean.  Then, maybe, a week in Prince Edward Island.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Winnigirl said:

I don't think I would want to leave Canada, even if borders are open.  I think we'd fly to Quebec, rent a car and head to New Brunswick.  Specifically the Algonquin Resort in St. Andrews-by-the-Sea.  I'd just sit on a lawn chair and watch the ocean.  Then, maybe, a week in Prince Edward Island.

We'll be packing the car and Maritimes bound as soon as the Atlantic Bubble opens to the rest of us.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AidenL said:

I have the Atlantic Ocean a mile from me. I feel lucky at the moment. And we have taken it for granted, but never will again after lockdown.

https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home

For the best part of my life, I have lived near the ocean, and during those times when I've had to live inland, as I do now, one ocean or another has been an integral part of holidays. I too have taken being by the sea for granted, but not this year. John Masefield's Sea Fever keeps running through my mind. "I must go down to the seas again..."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Winnigirl said:

We love it here in St Andrews by the Sea and we have a membership to use the pools and fitness centre at the Algonquin Resort. I hope you get to visit us soon.

Our house is right on the water so I’m not missing cruising yet.

On 6/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, cruisemom42 said:

After a Med cruise in 2005 I went back and spent a significant amount of time in Egypt and Turkey (two separate trips) once I realized, having been there, that it was safe enough to travel there as a woman alone.

I have also returned to Tunisia as the result of a cruise stop there for a much longer tour of Roman sites.

On the other hand, my Baltics cruise did not really inspire me with the desire to return anywhere for a longer visit..

I suppose one place I would consider visiting more in depth as a result of a stop in Sarande (and on the strength of the Roman ruins at Butrint), it would be Albania.

As for the US -- no real interest. I'll just stay home and bank money until international travel reopens....

I hope you can help. We’re booked on a cruise in 2021 with a stop in Sarande.  That was one of the reasons we chose that particular itinerary. However, I’m not getting responses from any tour operators I’ve contacted. Who did you use?  Thanks!