Ncl refusing to refund cash.

penlanspice

3 hours ago, NayRN said:

Just so you know - the run-around I’m getting from MSC is a whole lot worse! My TA canceled my 9/2020 cruise way before final payment was even due. At the 70 day mark, he called to see where I was in the process...he was told that he completed the refund request incorrectly and had to re-request/resubmit. I trust him implicitly and I know he did the refund correctly, especially after reading on the MSC boards that more people than not are being told the same story. Not every TA completed the refund requests incorrectly - and even if they did, why didn’t MSC notify them of the error?? Because they are making up an excuse to buy them time!

I’ve booked a 9/2021 cruise on NCL and will never book with MSC again! 

Sorry,  but it's naive to think someone can do no wrong.    Unless you were a witness you don't know what has or has not been done.     

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Sorry,  but it's naive to think someone can do no wrong.    Unless you were a witness you don't know what has or has not been done.     

Sorry - but when I read that the majority of TAs are being told they completed the forms incorrectly, I tend to not believe the cruise line. It’s got to be tough to not have trust and faith in people you know well.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NayRN said:

Sorry - but when I read that the majority of TAs are being told they completed the forms incorrectly, I tend to not believe the cruise line. It’s got to be tough to not have trust and faith in people you know well.

assume-    away.     🙂   

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hamrag said:

From a(ny) business point of view, this makes absolute sense. At the time you could have requested a cash refund, you chose the 125% and had a discount applied. How could you possibly then expect a cash refund from the now cancelled September cruise, paid by fcc? 

When we agreed to FCC, the deal was to book a future cruise with it.

OP did, I did, actually 10 cruises and have had 5 cancelled all the way into 2021 now.

I met my end of the contract. They broke theirs 5 times now. Actually I have had 3 cancelled on same FCC.

Steve

5 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

assume-    away.     🙂   

Wow! I’ve followed your posts since I became a member because I thought you gave good advice but never realized how negative you are. I have trust in my TA and, IF he did fill it out incorrectly - he’s a human being and a kind one at that. You should try it sometime...

ETA: I didn’t come on here to argue or be talked down to. I only wanted to say that NCL isn’t the only cruise line letting their customers down. I thank you for your unkind words and pray that your evening is pleasant.

Edited by NayRN
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

assume-    away.     🙂   

Queen, you are getting snarky lately.  Are you as pent up as the rest of us not being able to cruise for the last 3 months.  You probably missed 8-10 cruises in that time.  I know I am very restless, but I am usually snarky anyway.  You, not so much.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Love my butler said:

Queen, you are getting snarky lately.  Are you as pent up as the rest of us not being able to cruise for the last 3 months.  You probably missed 8-10 cruises in that time.  I know I am very restless, but I am usually snarky anyway.  You, not so much.

Started about 18 months ago.  Maybe not able to get the $299 solos.  Added to special list.

19 hours ago, NayRN said:

Just so you know - the run-around I’m getting from MSC is a whole lot worse! My TA canceled my 9/2020 cruise way before final payment was even due. At the 70 day mark, he called to see where I was in the process...he was told that he completed the refund request incorrectly and had to re-request/resubmit. I trust him implicitly and I know he did the refund correctly, especially after reading on the MSC boards that more people than not are being told the same story. Not every TA completed the refund requests incorrectly - and even if they did, why didn’t MSC notify them of the error?? Because they are making up an excuse to buy them time!

I’ve booked a 9/2021 cruise on NCL and will never book with MSC again! 

They will hold that money as long as they possibly can and will use all tools at their disposal.  They need that money.

2 hours ago, cscurlock said:

They will hold that money as long as they possibly can and will use all tools at their disposal.  They need that money.

Our MSC cruise for 5/19/2020 was cancelled and we requested a FCC (through our travel agent) and got it earlier this month. As far as we're concerned, MSC did just fine. I think some passengers have had to wait a long time, perhaps we were just lucky. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:22 AM, penlanspice said:

When we re-booked we asked and confirmed twice that the cash would be refunded if the next one was cancelled, she told us yes. I dont expect to be lied to! I'm obviously going to believe what I'm told. To have my original form of cash is not costing them more money its just my original form of payment. We would never of booked knowing that we would be stuck as a fcc, not only that I have a time limit to spend it and the next 2 years I'm not going to be able to take a cruise.

Who is the 'she' you referred to, and what company did 'she' represent? Times, dates and names are all important when having a dispute with any company.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 7:09 AM, penlanspice said:

Anyone having the same problem.

We were on an original sailing in April which was cancelled and paid via a credit card, then we re-booked with the fcc and discount to a cruise in Sept on thejewel which has now been cancelled. Called ncl for a refund as we're not going to rebook due to the inflation of prices and they've told us we can only have it as cruise credit as that's what we paid with for this cruise! When we rebooked we were assured if this cruise was cancelled we'd get a cash refund we never would of booked otherwise.

Absolutely furious at this stage.

Merchants are required by law to refund to the form of payment used.  You were offered a refund ion the first cruise and took FCC instead.  That ends that transaction.  You then used FCC to book the second cruise and you will be refunded in FCC by law.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Merchants are required by law to refund to the form of payment used.  You were offered a refund ion the first cruise and took FCC instead.  That ends that transaction.  You then used FCC to book the second cruise and you will be refunded in FCC by law.

You were offered a refund or FCC to use on a future cruise. That is the transaction! Once you use the FCC on a future cruise both parties have completed their obligation.

One the merchant is unable to provide what the terms of the original agreement defined, that constitutes a breach.

Merchant does not have the right to modify your original agreement without your consent. The letter that went out was very vague and NCL as the maker of the letter has the burden to hold up their end as specified.

Steve

52 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

And what if that Fcc is missing?   i think its bad business practice myself even though what you said was correct. 

On 6/29/2020 at 8:26 AM, penlanspice said:

This is our next stop. We're going to be putting in a charge back claim with our cc. Apparently all calls are recorded with ncl too, the agent confirmed that we would get a cash refund.

But, there was no charge to your cc. There is nothing to charge back. You used a "gift card" for payment and no one will give you cash back on that. 

• Like 2

Anyone having the same problem.
We were on an original sailing in April which was cancelled and paid via a credit card, then we re-booked with the fcc and discount to a cruise in Sept on thejewel which has now been cancelled. Called ncl for a refund as we're not going to rebook due to the inflation of prices and they've told us we can only have it as cruise credit as that's what we paid with for this cruise! When we rebooked we were assured if this cruise was cancelled we'd get a cash refund we never would of booked otherwise.
Absolutely furious at this stage.

I’m so sorry, but, you forfeited the cash when you took the 125% FCC. Policy (industry wide or in any business) does not allow you to pay for your 2nd cruise with FCC and then receive cash back. You didn’t pay cash for your second booking, so you can’t get refunded cash. You are refunded the payment method, which was FCC. Your best bet now is to let go of the anger, and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 3

NCL updated their FAQ:

**What happens if a suspended sailing booking has a combination of cash deposits and FCC applied?:

FULL CASH BOOKING: If an affected booking has a full cash (credit card or check) payment, they will have the choice to either retain the 125% value FCC, or they can submit for a cash refund when the web form goes live.

FULL SUSPENDED SAILING FCC BOOKING: If an affected booking has a payment with a previously issued suspended sailing FCC, they will not be entitled to the additional 25% and are not eligible to submit for a cash refund. In this instance, the FCC will go back to the guest’s Latitudes account.

FULL PEACE OF MIND FCC BOOKING: If an affected booking has a payment with a previously issued Peace of Mind FCC, they will receive their Peace of Mind FCC back on file to their Latitudes account, plus receive an additional 25% FCC. In this instance, this booking is not eligible to submit for a cash refund.

CASH + SUSPENDED SAILING FCC BOOKING: If an affected booking has a cash (credit card or check) payment in addition to using a previously issued suspended sailing FCC, they will receive the additional 25% FCC on the cash portion ONLY. In this instance, a refund request may only be submitted for the cash (credit card or check) payments made.

CASH + PEACE OF MIND FCC BOOKING: If an affected booking has a cash (credit card or check) payment in addition to using a previously issued Peace of Mind FCC, they will receive the additional 25% FCC on the total invoice. In this instance, a refund request may only be submitted for the cash (credit card or check) payments made.

Norwegian is financially less secure than Carnival corporation

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/business/norwegian-cruise-line/index.html

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-05-08/column-coronavirus-cruise-ships

With around $6 billion in long-term debt obligations, Norwegian said, there’s “substantial doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.”

If things don’t turn around, it continued, “it may be necessary for us to reorganize our company in its entirety, including through bankruptcy proceedings.”

Norwegian also runs Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, drsel said:

Norwegian is financially less secure than Carnival corporation

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/05/business/norwegian-cruise-line/index.html

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2020-05-08/column-coronavirus-cruise-ships

With around $6 billion in long-term debt obligations, Norwegian said, there’s “substantial doubt about the company’s ability to continue as a going concern.”

If things don’t turn around, it continued, “it may be necessary for us to reorganize our company in its entirety, including through bankruptcy proceedings.”

Norwegian also runs Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

First, that is really old news. It was a mandatory filing with  the SEC which they were legally obligated to make as a publicly held company. Secondly, within a few days of that filing, NCL finalized additional financing to sustain the company for a while. 

What people have to understand is that the main stream media (CNN as quoted), make advertising revenue by taking data out of context, sensationalizing it, and getting people to click on their sensationalized headlines. They make their money by getting clicks by posting fake news and getting gullible people to click on it. Once upon a time, CNN use to be the most reputable source of news. They are now a lot worse than the tabloid news you see at the grocery checkout. 

"NCL warns investors that they are going out of business". Please. That was never the case and not the purpose of the SEC filing. And it was widely reported as fake news 2 months ago when it first came out.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Our MSC cruise for 5/19/2020 was cancelled and we requested a FCC (through our travel agent) and got it earlier this month. As far as we're concerned, MSC did just fine. I think some passengers have had to wait a long time, perhaps we were just lucky. 

You got lucky.  Waiting 100 days for MSC refund and FCC.  Told it would be another three weeks.  This was for first round.

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

First, that is really old news. It was a mandatory filing with  the SEC which they were legally obligated to make as a publicly held company. Secondly, within a few days of that filing, NCL finalized additional financing to sustain the company for a while. 

What people have to understand is that the main stream media (CNN as quoted), make advertising revenue by taking data out of context, sensationalizing it, and getting people to click on their sensationalized headlines. They make their money by getting clicks by posting fake news and getting gullible people to click on it. Once upon a time, CNN use to be the most reputable source of news. They are now a lot worse than the tabloid news you see at the grocery checkout. 

"NCL warns investors that they are going out of business". Please. That was never the case and not the purpose of the SEC filing. And it was widely reported as fake news 2 months ago when it first came out.   

Well said. And this (with apologies to my fellow cruisers on CC) is why I do not listen to prognostications made on internet forums. I LOVE Cruise Critic and value it for information regarding cruises (different ships, good values, onboard experiences, ports, and the like) but my brain turns off whenever people veer off into political arguments or present themselves as medical experts or economists. This is not the place for that (for me, at least, others may differ).

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

You got lucky.  Waiting 100 days for MSC refund and FCC.  Told it would be another three weeks.  This was for first round.

Yes, I guess we did. Sorta. At this point, we haven't found any MSC cruises we want to go on that meet our criteria, so while we got our FCC fairly quickly, the money had been paid a long time ago and we have a very long time to use it. Money we pay for cruises is always disposable income, so it's not like we are struggling to pay our mortgage or anything. I would certainly hope that the same applies for others. Still, nobody likes waiting for a refund. Hope yours arrives very soon!

• 3 weeks later...

Last year, I had booked and completely paid $6100 for NCL JeweI Penthouse Suite out of Seward, AK on June 1, 2020. I have a similar problem of NCL refund refusal after having faith that my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant would be honest about refunds, after I continuously communicated that I wished to get a refund unless I could use FCC in the event that I could use them to cruise this summer of 2020. I spoke with my NCL PCC several times in March and early April as cruises were beginning to cancel, but my cruise on 6/1 remained uncancelled. Our plan was to hope that the cruise sailed and enjoy it, but to let NCL cancel cruise, not myself through NCL Piece of Mind if the cruise were to cancel. On April 24, I received the COVID-19 letter from NCL officially cancelling cruises that included mine. I immediately called my PCC to discuss what my refund options were. I noticed and was suspicious of the letter's odd blurb about an online refund request form that would be available May 7-13, so I brought it up to PCC. I asked if I could wait to see if a desirable Summer 2020 cruise would sail uncancelled and THEN use the FCC, which, by the way, I never asked for or accepted (all NCL actions), towards the cruise, but still be able to get a refund later this summer if all cruises were ultimately cancelled. I was emphatically and clearly told, "Yes, I could absolutely request a refund later without using the online request form during the one-week May period.". She dismissed the dates given in the letter as only applying to the dates when customers could request refund on their own online. The letter does not mention anything about forfeiting any option for a refund if online form is not completed during one-week period. It just says form is available then. I had no reason to doubt my PCC, since we had several conversations over many weeks about options. She was well aware that I wanted to sail this summer, or not at all with a refund. In June, NCL effectively killed any chance of a Summer 2020 cruise when they cancelled everything through October. I then immediately call my PCC direct NCL phone number, only to get a different PCC. Apparently, "Reem" was no longer with NCL. I went on to explain to my new PCC, "Ralfy", that I wished for him to process a refund request for me. He explained that it was too late. I told him about what my PCC told me, and he understood why I would be upset. He suggested that I submit an online Guest Relations claim describing what happened with name, date/time, phone #'s, etc. I did exactly that three times. Each time I received a boiler plate email explaining how they must refuse a refund in all fairness to other passengers without mention of what I described about their employee's wrong, misguided advice. I listed the specific date, time, phone numbers, and duration of the call. I pleaded for them to listen to the call log and that it would clearly corroborate my claim within the first two minutes of the 24-minute phone call. She may have been just mistaken, but NCL actions give me doubt to whether or not she was just following NCL script to avoid as many refunds as possible. I just initiated a charge back request through my Navy Federal Visa, but I don't give that much hope. I have cruised multiple times on NCL and was always aware of their "gotcha" tactics for $$$, but enjoyed their personal butler service enough to stick with them anyway. I won't go so far as too say I can't cruise for the next two years, but next year is not an option, so I was clearly in a "2020 cruise-or-bust" mode. If I am ultimately denied a refund, along with many others, I'm sure, I will try to sell my FCC. If that doesn't work, I'll use my FCC for my last NCL cruise. If they do ultimately refund me, I will still be raw, but perhaps forgiving enough, given the circumstance, to buy another cruise through them.  

First, @raytamt1 might I introduce to you the carriage return?  That makes long posts like yours MUCH easier to read.

15 hours ago, raytamt1 said:

the FCC, which, by the way, I never asked for or accepted (all NCL actions)

Automatic actions, actions to which you agreed when accepting the cruise contract.

15 hours ago, raytamt1 said:

I was emphatically and clearly told, "Yes, I could absolutely request a refund later without using the online request form during the one-week May period."

Your PCC told you what you wanted to hear, but the reality is that the policy NCL will stand behind is the policy as posted to the site.  It's also possible that information given to the PCCs was not clearly defined, or the PCC's misunderstanding of refund forms being made available later in the year (for other sailings) would also work for earlier cancellations (which they wouldn't).  That policy was that cash refunds could be requested during the 1-2 week period the form was available for your sailing online.

Last year, I had booked and completely paid $6100 for NCL JeweI Penthouse Suite out of Seward, AK on June 1, 2020. I have a similar problem of NCL refund refusal after having faith that my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant would be honest about refunds, after I continuously communicated that I wished to get a refund unless I could use FCC in the event that I could use them to cruise this summer of 2020. I spoke with my NCL PCC several times in March and early April as cruises were beginning to cancel, but my cruise on 6/1 remained uncancelled. Our plan was to hope that the cruise sailed and enjoy it, but to let NCL cancel cruise, not myself through NCL Piece of Mind if the cruise were to cancel. On April 24, I received the COVID-19 letter from NCL officially cancelling cruises that included mine. I immediately called my PCC to discuss what my refund options were. I noticed and was suspicious of the letter's odd blurb about an online refund request form that would be available May 7-13, so I brought it up to PCC. I asked if I could wait to see if a desirable Summer 2020 cruise would sail uncancelled and THEN use the FCC, which, by the way, I never asked for or accepted (all NCL actions), towards the cruise, but still be able to get a refund later this summer if all cruises were ultimately cancelled. I was emphatically and clearly told, "Yes, I could absolutely request a refund later without using the online request form during the one-week May period.". She dismissed the dates given in the letter as only applying to the dates when customers could request refund on their own online. The letter does not mention anything about forfeiting any option for a refund if online form is not completed during one-week period. It just says form is available then. I had no reason to doubt my PCC, since we had several conversations over many weeks about options. She was well aware that I wanted to sail this summer, or not at all with a refund. In June, NCL effectively killed any chance of a Summer 2020 cruise when they cancelled everything through October. I then immediately call my PCC direct NCL phone number, only to get a different PCC. Apparently, "Reem" was no longer with NCL. I went on to explain to my new PCC, "Ralfy", that I wished for him to process a refund request for me. He explained that it was too late. I told him about what my PCC told me, and he understood why I would be upset. He suggested that I submit an online Guest Relations claim describing what happened with name, date/time, phone #'s, etc. I did exactly that three times. Each time I received a boiler plate email explaining how they must refuse a refund in all fairness to other passengers without mention of what I described about their employee's wrong, misguided advice. I listed the specific date, time, phone numbers, and duration of the call. I pleaded for them to listen to the call log and that it would clearly corroborate my claim within the first two minutes of the 24-minute phone call. She may have been just mistaken, but NCL actions give me doubt to whether or not she was just following NCL script to avoid as many refunds as possible. I just initiated a charge back request through my Navy Federal Visa, but I don't give that much hope. I have cruised multiple times on NCL and was always aware of their "gotcha" tactics for $$$, but enjoyed their personal butler service enough to stick with them anyway. I won't go so far as too say I can't cruise for the next two years, but next year is not an option, so I was clearly in a "2020 cruise-or-bust" mode. If I am ultimately denied a refund, along with many others, I'm sure, I will try to sell my FCC. If that doesn't work, I'll use my FCC for my last NCL cruise. If they do ultimately refund me, I will still be raw, but perhaps forgiving enough, given the circumstance, to buy another cruise through them.  

Sent from my iPhone using Forums