Once sailing resumes, do you think an entire ship would be "quarantined" for a + and not allowed to come into home port?

Eli_6

1 hour ago, clo said:

I haven't see a specific plan for a single thing.

The plan was to start cruises again in May. Then it was changed to July. Then August. Now it's September, but don't bet against it changing again.

If instead you mean you have never seen a plan as to what will be the procedure if passengers or crew members come down with this virus, well you are not alone in seeing no plans. Unless, did the CDC once say something about having hospital ships alongside of cruise ships?

3 hours ago, clo said:

Just saw some "kid" on a beach on the news. He was spouting the "I'm young and healthy" crap. Have they really ignored the facts all this time?

He is young and healthy he has parents and grandparents, they are for sure older, maybe he hasn't put 1+1 together that even though maybe he doesn't live or will go visit his parents/grandparents, some other young person who thinks like him will bump into his older higher risk family somewhere out and about... this whole it won't effect me and US constitution thing about freedom to gather freedom to not wear a mask etc. is puzzling to me.    Do people really not think that clearly?  

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

Our next cruise will most likely be in the Mediterranean and all ports will be within the European Union. We are entitled to the same health care as the citizens in the country we are in within the European Union so if we get sick we have medical coverage during our next cruise. Because of that I'm not worried about the insurance issue.    

We were supposed to be in the Med next month and it is cancelled.  We are supposed to cruise out of Civitavecchia in October on a cruise that goes to some Italian ports, Greece, Jorden, UAE, etc.  At the current time none of those ports are open to any cruise ship and it is questionable that any will be open in Oct-Nov.  If you want to go from Sweden to the UK I believe you would need to quarantine for 14 days!  

While Europe seems to be slowly opening to tourism there has been little said about cruises.  And consider that if some of the European countries get hit with a 2nd wave of this virus then countries could quickly reverse opening plans (this has been happening in our own country).   The situation seems to change day by day and restrictions come and go on very short notice.  This is a huge problem for booking air since one can get stuck with airline tickets they no longer want and may have to settle for airline vouchers!   There are some Aussies on our scheduled Oct cruise out of Italy that have thousands of dollars of airline tickets they may not be able to use.  Vouchers come with lots of restrictions which are not appreciated by the customers.  The only reason we have still booked a few cruises for 2021 is that we can get our air through the cruise lines which avoid the some of the cancellation issues that happen when books their own air.

I think travelers/cruisers need to be very careful with airline reservations since most airlines are resisting giving out refunds and trying to stick folks with vouchers which might prove to be useless.

Hank

Just now, Hlitner said:

We were supposed to maybe in the Med next month and it is cancelled.  We are supposed to cruise out of Civitavecchia in October on a cruise that goes to some Italian ports, Greece, Jorden, UAE, etc.  At the current time none of those ports are open to any cruise ship and it is questionable that any will be open in Oct-Nov.  If you want to go from Sweden to the UK I believe you would need to quarantine for 14 days!  

While Europe seems to be slowly opening to tourism there has been little said about cruises.  And consider that if some of the European countries get hit with a 2nd wave of this virus then countries could quickly reverse opening plans (this has been happening in our own country).   The situation seems to change day by day and restrictions come and go on very short notice.  This is a huge problem for booking air since one can get stuck with airline tickets they no longer want and may have to settle for airline vouchers!   There are some Aussies on our scheduled Oct cruise out of Italy that have thousands of dollars of airline tickets they may not be able to use.  Vouchers come with lots of restrictions which are not appreciated by the customers.  The only reason we have still booked a few cruises for 2021 is that we can get our air through the cruise lines which avoid the some of the cancellation issues that happen when books their own air.

Hank

Ah, sounds like a dream set of cruises, to be postponed to another year, I'm thinking 2022-2023 at the rate things for the US are going 😞

5 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Ah, sounds like a dream set of cruises, to be postponed to another year, I'm thinking 2022-2023 at the rate things for the US are going 😞

We are getting sick of "shattered dreams"  :(.  Two years ago we had a 2 month Asian trip interrupted when DW was seriously injured (accident)  in Vietnam  and had to eventually be evacuated back to the USA.  We lost out on the last 25 days of a 30 day cruise!  We booked another 30 day cruise for this past April to the same area that we missed 2 years ago and that cruise was cancelled because of COVID-19.  We now have another Asian booking for 2021 that could very well be cancelled because of COVID-19.   In a lifetime (more then 40 years) of extensive travel we have had more cancellations in the past 2 years then the previous 40!  ARGH!

34 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We were supposed to be in the Med next month and it is cancelled.  We are supposed to cruise out of Civitavecchia in October on a cruise that goes to some Italian ports, Greece, Jorden, UAE, etc.  At the current time none of those ports are open to any cruise ship and it is questionable that any will be open in Oct-Nov.  If you want to go from Sweden to the UK I believe you would need to quarantine for 14 days!  

I think travelers/cruisers need to be very careful with airline reservations since most airlines are resisting giving out refunds and trying to stick folks with vouchers which might prove to be useless.

Hank

Good point about airline reservations. On the cruise (Norwegian fjords) we were set to do later this month, we used EZ Air with Princess. It was the first time we had used cruise airfare. That we did not have to cancel the airlines as well as the cruise itself meant one less (actually 2 less as we were not going and returning on the same airline) entity to get our refund.

Footnote, we had actually booked airfare with Princess once before roundtrip to Copenhagen on the advice of TA. He said to be sure to have air tickets (they were not available yet from the airlines), and if and when they showed up cheaper we could cancel the cruise airfare. I then saw a great internet deal, but when I tried to book it, it kept saying there was a technical problem, try again or call a number it gave for tech problems. I finally called the number, and when I explained, the first thing I heard them say was DW's name which I had never given them. They could not book us because we were already booked on the plane! I explained we  only had a deposit with Princess and could at any time cancel the airfare or in fact the whole thing before final payment. I was then advised to cancel it and then rebook the internet special. I replied that I never wanted not to have confirmed seats. After a hesitation the rep did book us at the special rate and advised me to call the TA and immediately cancel the seats through the cruise line. Which I did. We could have had 3 roundtrip tickets for what we paid for 2 with Princess. (This was before EZ Air.)

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I am also thinking there might be some upside for some of the domestic travel industry.  RV's are certainly going to be in great demand and we have heard that bookings are doing very well for many of the East Coast resort towns.  Folks want to get out of their homes, have some fun, but are very limited in options.

We were just talking to our daughter about this. Yeah, we can go off in our RV but are we then just sitting in a box looking at things. With this virus raging who knows where, if anywhere, you can reasonably safely travel. We've reserved and airbnb and hope that she and her family can join us. (There are some medical and business issues.) She wanted to know if we're comfortable being in the same house with them. It's a new world.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We are getting sick of "shattered dreams"  :(.  Two years ago we had a 2 month Asian trip interrupted when DW was seriously injured (accident)  in Vietnam  and had to eventually be evacuated back to the USA.  We lost out on the last 25 days of a 30 day cruise!  We booked another 30 day cruise for this past April to the same area that we missed 2 years ago and that cruise was cancelled because of COVID-19.  We now have another Asian booking for 2021 that could very well be cancelled because of COVID-19.   In a lifetime (more then 40 years) of extensive travel we have had more cancellations in the past 2 years then the previous 40!  ARGH!

Sorry, I guess when you are working you just work, from home office, or work office not a difference.    The nice thing all my kids are home and also working from home, so it isn't a shattered dream it is family time I never dreamed I'd get again. 

Best of luck with your vacation planning!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

It's a fact that in the past ships with outbreaks were not allowed to dock but we don't know if that will happen again or not. We can only guess and say what we think will happen.

We don't have the facts for what will happen so we can just tell the OP what we think will happen or we can choose not to say what we think.

We know that right now cruise ships are having one heck of a time repatriating crew due to ports/governments not wanting to introduce any further cases to their jurisdiction.  Most of these ships have been at sea for months with very little change in crew.   

What will change between now and then just so that people can go on a cruise for entertainment?  It ain't happening!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, clo said:

Totally OT but why have they moved back home?

free rent, food, internet, wake up come down breakfast is there, go work, come down for lunch, work come down and dinner is there, I’d go home too, but I am home, LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, chipmaster said:

free rent, food, internet, wake up come down breakfast is there, go work, come down for lunch, work come down and dinner is there, I’d go home too, but I am home, LOL

But no privacy from parents. Are they going to stay forever? LOL.

1 hour ago, clo said:

But no privacy from parents. Are they going to stay forever? LOL.

Ha ha, we got a big house, and I will soon be traveling again so they could house sit and get free rent too.   Lucky they aren't living a basement lifestyle, LOL

13 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Ha ha, we got a big house, and I will soon be traveling again so they could house sit and get free rent too.   Lucky they aren't living a basement lifestyle, LOL

And when you get home, they'll have moved out again. Woohoooo ::)

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

More reason not to worry about insurence!

I didn't say that I am planning to cruise soon. We had a Mediterranean cruise booked for July 2021 but already know that cruise has been cancelled.

What I said was that since our next cruise probably will be within the European Union I don't really worry about health care because we are entitled to that as long as we stay within the EU. 

No plans to travel anywhere soon. 

3 hours ago, James_TheVirus said:

What will change between now and then just so that people can go on a cruise for entertainment?  It ain't happening!

I believe that you are wrong!

Without knowing where to dock if a cruiseship have cases of Covid-19 there won't be any cruises, I think.

Cruises are as you said for entertainment so without a plan it should be stupid to start cruising again so without a plan which include where to dock I don't think that there will be any cruises.

I am not as worried about being quarantined on a ship as much as being left to float aimlessly at sea 😱. At least if you are docked you know eventually you will be disembarked and at least if things go bad there are medical facilities you can access. As it stands there is no written agreement for countries to take in "plague ships". And it so much easier for countries to say, not our problem. It certainly doesn't help that the mainstream cruise lines are indicating they might focus their business on larger ships. That would mean more people a country would have to potentially quarantine😳. The EU guidelines that have come out are asking cruise lines to come up with plan. So it seems cruise lines have offered no solution but also the EU doesn't seem interested in providing a plan either 😂. They both have to come to an agreement just asking the cruise lines to work it out is a bit silly. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

am not as worried about being quarantined on a ship as much as being left to float aimlessly at sea 😱.

But either way you'd be confined to your cabin.

28 minutes ago, clo said:

Yes but at least you will have entered a country. If I have to be confined to my cabin I would rather know that we have reached a destination. Lesser of two bad choices IMO.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 10:20 PM, Elaine5715 said:

They were held inside the country.  US Citizens were permitted to enter the US, not refused entry and forced to remain on a cruise ship

You are a bit incorrect about the federal government's abilities.  Once a ship has "cleared" into the US, then US citizens would be considered to be "on US soil", and cannot be denied entry into the US.  However, the US can deny entry into the US by US citizens by making prohibitions that would be enforced at the place of departure, i.e. at a departure airport in a foreign country, if the US said that anyone who had visited that country could not enter, then that US citizen would not be allowed to board the aircraft.

Further, once the no sail order was adopted by the USCG, cruise ships had to agree to the terms (mainly no commercial transportation from ship to home doorstep) for crew, in order to "clear" for entry into the port (even if they were anchored within the port limits, "clearance" or "pratique" for health matters, needs to be obtained to perform certain "operations", like disembarking crew.  US citizens who were crew on a Princess ship were not allowed to leave the ship in a US port, since the ship had not obtained the proper "clearance" to do so.  It was not until Princess agreed to the CDC/USCG requirements, that the US crew were allowed to leave the ship.

In the case of a future covid outbreak, again, the USCG, operating under the CDC's recommendations, would not "clear" the ship to enter a US port for disembarkation, even though the ship could anchor within the port limits, and US citizens would be denied the right to enter the country, as they have not actually reached US soil.  That is the determining factor, the government can only block US citizens from returning to the US if that citizen has not yet reached US soil.

And, yes, I do see a quarantine of an entire ship for one positive case in the future.  This is what national public health agencies do, quarantine people outside the country, if possible, to prevent the spread to their population, but quarantine has never meant the protection of those inside the quarantine from getting the illness.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, clo said:

I don't say that I should enjoy to be quarantined on a cruiseship bit as long as I get food it's no catastrophe. I can sit on my balcony and read for a couple of weeks if that is what I have to do.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

but quarantine has never meant the protection of those inside the quarantine from getting the illness.

I don't agree with this statement.   Caregivers are  very much concerned with their own protection as they assist with the Covid patients.

There is obviously enough uncertainty about a number of aspects for any thought of cruising in the near future to be absurd.   Booking a cruise in the near future does not make much sense:

a) given the reasonable likelihood of cancellation, putting at risk (or at least into abeyance) cruise payments as well as related costs;

b) given the uncertainty of what the proposed cruise experience will be reflecting safety precautions; as well as

c) the fair possibility of unwanted quarantine.

This thread just covers “c” — but why even sweat that while “a” and “b” loom.

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And, yes, I do see a quarantine of an entire ship for one positive case in the future.  This is what national public health agencies do, quarantine people outside the country, if possible, to prevent the spread to their population, but quarantine has never meant the protection of those inside the quarantine from getting the illness.

And that is what makes cruising in the near future so scary for many if not most of us. The passengers and crew on those unfortunate HAL and Princess ships that were quarantined sure discovered that they were not being protected from illness.