How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?

Guest ccpm

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Of cruises aren't up and running by next May, the cruise industry will be on the verge of collapse.

I agree - I think there will be cruises by then, but we're due to sail on Celebrity Constellation which missed a refurb this year, putting it at the front of the queue if they decide to retire a ship.

5 hours ago, wowzz said:

Of cruises aren't up and running by next May, the cruise industry will be on the verge of collapse.

Princess have just extended their pause until December 15, so spring may be a possibility.

1 minute ago, jake 26 said:

Princess have just extended their pause until December 15, so spring may be a possibility.

Princess autumn schedules are mainly from the USA so their situation is rather different to P&O, where I think a Nov restart is still possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Princess autumn schedules are mainly from the USA so their situation is rather different to P&O, where I think a Nov restart is still possible.

Maybe but P&O follow the same advice from the CDC as do Carnival in general, so I can't see P&O doing the Caribbean when Princess aren't.

One story on the news yesterday was a 27 year old lady, no conditions slim etc.  She got Covid, felt like the flu, but it got worse, she spent a week in hospital.  Now a month later, she still feels awful, her breathing is not back to normal.

Our friend who cruises with us we are pretty sure had Covid back in January.  She is still having difficulty on a good walk, her breathing is not how it was at all, so she has to sit down and wait to get her breath.

That's the nasty difference with this compared to flu or a cold.  With those, you have it, and it gets better.  It doesn't leave lasting damage to your lungs and organs.  (obviously I know people die of flu)

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

One story on the news yesterday was a 27 year old lady, no conditions slim etc.  She got Covid, felt like the flu, but it got worse, she spent a week in hospital.  Now a month later, she still feels awful, her breathing is not back to normal.

Our friend who cruises with us we are pretty sure had Covid back in January.  She is still having difficulty on a good walk, her breathing is not how it was at all, so she has to sit down and wait to get her breath.

That's the nasty difference with this compared to flu or a cold.  With those, you have it, and it gets better.  It doesn't leave lasting damage to your lungs and organs.  (obviously I know people die of flu)

If she thinks she had COVID she should be tested rather than assume anything, there are lots of stories out there my wife works in a health centre and come the winter months, she as to deal with the death certificates for the winter flu and there are an awful lot of them from all ages.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jake 26 said:

Maybe but P&O follow the same advice from the CDC as do Carnival in general, so I can't see P&O doing the Caribbean when Princess aren't.

You may well be right, but the big difference between the two is that P&O will have UK passengers, whereas Princess would have mainly American passengers, so with the current levels of covid in both countries, whilst UK holiday makers might be welcome in the Caribbean, its unlikely the Americans would be.

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You may well be right, but the big difference between the two is that P&O will have UK passengers, whereas Princess would have mainly American passengers, so with the current levels of covid in both countries, whilst UK holiday makers might be welcome in the Caribbean, its unlikely the Americans would be.

I was just thinking that myself looking at that logically they need the money from the cruise companies, but would they take the chance of Americans turning up I doubt it,but Europeans would be a different matter.

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

If she thinks she had COVID she should be tested rather than assume anything, there are lots of stories out there my wife works in a health centre and come the winter months, she as to deal with the death certificates for the winter flu and there are an awful lot of them from all ages.

She has tried to get an antibody test.  Not available where she is.  She has an appt for October to check her lungs.  Nothing before that!!  And that's Outer London.  Also, by now,, she may well not have the antibodies, as they say it is possibly gone after 3 months.

Edited by jeanlyon

58 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

She has tried to get an antibody test.  Not available where she is.  She has an appt for October to check her lungs.  Nothing before that!!  And that's Outer London.  Also, by now,, she may well not have the antibodies, as they say it is possibly gone after 3 months.

The doctor can refer her to the hospital who will than organise a test if she as health issues it’s vital to find out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Flu can lead to pneumonia depending on how badly a person tries to treat themselves so it's as much about the person's knowledge as it is about the actual virus.   The flu can also worsen long-term medical conditions, like congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes.

I feel certain that a great many people who got COVID-19 made things massively worse for themselves by taking pain-killers to force own their fevers without realising the stupidity of such action.  It is sadly very natural and common for people with cold/flu symptoms to instantly reach for paracetamols or neurofens or ibuprofens or for cold/flu capsules or other pills and potions that contain those ingredients.  These people do not understand how their own bodies work and are actively obstructing the most crucial defense mechanism it has which is a fever.    The fever is absolutely vital because it stops bugs and viruses from being able to replicate.  This in turn gives the body the time it needs to send in the white cell good guys to kill what virus exists at that point.   If you take pain killers and force your fever down then the virus is free to replicate at will and soon the body becomes totally overrun.    Sadly even some doctors don't seem to understand this basic principle.

On a cruise I once contracted Norovirus.  The ship's doctor came to see me and told me to take paracetamols because I had a fever.   I dutifully ignored him, let my fever run, took Grapefruit Seed Extract in water and was right as rain within 12 hours.

Had I taken paracetamol I would undoubtedly have suffered for up to 72 hours.

COVID spreads faster than Flu but they are both dangerous conditions if you don't understand how your body works.  By building and maintaining a strong immune system, eating good foods, rejecting bad foods and getting plenty of essential immune boosting vitamin D from sunlight, one can maximise one's ability to combat these kind of respiratory conditions and a wide range of other ailments.   I appreciate that not all people can do this unfortunately so as always it is a case of each to their own and to do what is right in your personal circumstances.

Edited by KnowTheScore
  • Like 1

So interesting virus spike going on in Spain and thousands of Brits on holiday may well be forced to quarantine on their return.  This thing is not over.  Rather shows a good reason not to go abroad any time soon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Flu can lead to pneumonia depending on how badly a person tries to treat themselves so it's as much about the person's knowledge as it is about the actual virus.   The flu can also worsen long-term medical conditions, like congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes.

I feel certain that a great many people who got COVID-19 made things massively worse for themselves by taking pain-killers to force own their fevers without realising the stupidity of such action.  It is sadly very natural and common for people with cold/flu symptoms to instantly reach for paracetamols or neurofens or ibuprofens or for cold/flu capsules or other pills and potions that contain those ingredients.  These people do not understand how their own bodies work and are actively obstructing the most crucial defense mechanism it has which is a fever.    The fever is absolutely vital because it stops bugs and viruses from being able to replicate.  This in turn gives the body the time it needs to send in the white cell good guys to kill what virus exists at that point.   If you take pain killers and force your fever down then the virus is free to replicate at will and soon the body becomes totally overrun.    Sadly even some doctors don't seem to understand this basic principle.

On a cruise I once contracted Norovirus.  The ship's doctor came to see me and told me to take paracetamols because I had a fever.   I dutifully ignored him, let my fever run, took Grapefruit Seed Extract in water and was right as rain within 12 hours.

Had I taken paracetamol I would undoubtedly have suffered for up to 72 hours.

COVID spreads faster than Flu but they are both dangerous conditions if you don't understand how your body works.  By building and maintaining a strong immune system, eating good foods, rejecting bad foods and getting plenty of essential immune boosting vitamin D from sunlight, one can maximise one's ability to combat these kind of respiratory conditions and a wide range of other ailments.   I appreciate that not all people can do this unfortunately so as always it is a case of each to their own and to do what is right in your personal circumstances.

Couldn't agree more.  There does come a time with fever where it gets too high and you need something, but normally it will come down on its own.  I nearly died aged 5 with measles.  My fever was 106 degrees.  I was given something called M&B which was the only thing available at the time.  Doctor stayed all day I remember.  Following day, I was recovering.

26 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So interesting virus spike going on in Spain and thousands of Brits on holiday may well be forced to quarantine on their return.  This thing is not over.  Rather shows a good reason not to go abroad any time soon.

I would be a bit dubious about the timing the Germans and a few other countries have been allowed in before us and all of a sudden they have a spike, what have the brits been doing sneezing coughing etc for it to react that quickly.

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Still no sign of CCPM   yet :classic_mellow: Hope she's doing OK  :classic_smile:

I check daily and haven't seen her yet. Vamps too has been missing for quite while now. I do hope they're both ok.

Avril 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I check daily and haven't seen her yet. Vamps too has been missing for quite while now. I do hope they're both ok.

Avril 

I was thinking about Vamps earlier when reading posts on here, I hope all is ok with both of them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I agree.

4 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think the Brits have caused it, but the problem would be having to quarantine when they get back.  Not worth going.  Well not for me anyway. 

Scotland is abroad isn't it?. That's what the scotnat bloke wishes. They may not let you in Jean.😁