How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?

Guest ccpm

23 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I hope it hasn't put her off because there is a lot of nice posters on here but she did seem upset with that poster which is sad.

I come across at least 1 obnoxious stirring wind up merchant on RCL and Princess forums as well.

I've only been a member for 5/6 months but I've spotted two. Thank goodness they only jump in occasionally. I try to ignore them but sometimes they say something and I just can't zip it 😠. I'm a gentle soul really😇

Avril 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I've only been a member for 5/6 months but I've spotted two. Thank goodness they only jump in occasionally. I try to ignore them but sometimes they say something and I just can't zip it 😠. I'm a gentle soul really😇

Avril 

I was drawn in a couple of times during my early days on RCL forums and thought of leaving but after wasting time replying to trolls I decided to just ignore them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I was drawn in a couple of times during my early days on RCL forums and thought of leaving but after wasting time replying to trolls I decided to just ignore them.

It wouldn't make me consider leaving this forum. There are many lovely people on here and some real jokers too. I feel very comfortable. My gran had a saying. In every bushel of apples you'll always find a worm😊

Avril 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It wouldn't make me consider leaving this forum. There are many lovely people on here and some real jokers too. I feel very comfortable. My gran had a saying. In every bushel of apples you'll always find a worm😊

Avril 

Good,true saying.

I agree with you on this forum there are a lot of nice people.

On RCL forums it is mainly Americans posting and there were a few anonymous trouble makers when I started posting but I found after a few months of ignoring them I made a lot of good friends.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

Avil,

It's a nice night I am just going for a sliver! 

Pesky birds!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Cox said:

Back to the topic, I'm still undecided on returning to cruising.  Much better news recently about vaccines though - encouraging.

I think that one's opinion depends on what you read

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-vaccine-merck-co/merck-ceo-says-raising-covid-19-vaccine-hopes-a-grave-disservice-report-idUKKCN24F2S4

I try to be open-minded, even optimistic, about a vaccine but then I remember that the common cold is a coronavirus and that the whole world has been trying hard to find a vaccine for that for decades.  Imagine the economic benefits of eliminating colds.  But, that’s never happened ...

It’s not a walk in the park.

I don’t envisage myself cruising again 😕

26 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I try to be open-minded, even optimistic, about a vaccine but then I remember that the common cold is a coronavirus and that the whole world has been trying hard to find a vaccine for that for decades.  Imagine the economic benefits of eliminating colds.  But, that’s never happened ...

Have they been trying to find a vaccine for the common cold? I'm not sure there's such a desperate need for it. I'm not even sure what the economic benefits would be either? A cold has never stopped me doing anything I'd normally do. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Although I'm usually a glass half full sort of person, my thoughts regarding are vaccine are exactly the same.

People will have to make their own choices based upon their own circumstances.

21 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Have they been trying to find a vaccine for the common cold? I'm not sure there's such a desperate need for it. I'm not even sure what the economic benefits would be either? A cold has never stopped me doing anything I'd normally do. 

Goodness me, yes.

Here’s the UK research establishment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Cold_Unit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-48923865/why-thousands-went-on-holiday-to-the-common-cold-unit

People react differently and there are different colds.  They often used to floor me - and potentially lead on to more severe RTIs.

The economic loss - all those people, all those days off, all that potential under-performing - plus the human misery.  

I’d describe myself as a glass half-full person too.  So my positives are that I, and my family, are well and thus far untouched by the virus.  We have coped through lockdown, things appear to be easing, very, very gradually, which suits me.  To be honest, though I loved my cruising, and had a lot booked (should have been on Iona, returning from the fiords, today) I’ve changed my focus/lowered my expectations in that regard

Highlight of this week is lunch today - in the pub beer garden

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 4

53 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Of course one could argue that a company executive of a pharma company that's lagging behind in its vaccine research, might try to downplay the current progress..............just saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Of course one could argue that a company executive of a pharma company that's lagging behind in its vaccine research, might try to downplay the current progress..............just saying.

Or being realistic.............?

21 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

And of course the other argument is that cold remedy medicines are some of the most profitable over the counter products, so no real incentive to kill off the common cold for good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Goodness me, yes.

Here’s the UK research establishment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Cold_Unit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/stories-48923865/why-thousands-went-on-holiday-to-the-common-cold-unit

People react differently and there are different colds.  They often used to floor me - and potentially lead on to more severe RTIs.

The economic loss - all those people, all those days off, all that potential under-performing - plus the human misery.  

Hmmmm interesting. It's something I've never really thought about as I don't think I've ever felt particularly bad with a cold. I tend to be able to soldier on through most things. 

16 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Or being realistic.............?

Being realistic doesn't mean you've got to take the most negative stories as the most factual. Lots of people have an agenda. There's very good news coming out of Oxford. Think we've just got to wait and see. But I'd much rather have a bit of hope and positivity than be the person who wants to post doom and gloom as though its hard fact. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976

9 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Is anyone doing that?

I didn't say they were, just saying which person I'd rather be 😉

I absolutely didn't mean you, by the way! It wasn't aimed at anyone. Most of what I say is with a hint of sarcasm but I know that's easily misinterpreted via written text. 

Edited by cruisenewbie1976

5 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Being realistic doesn't mean you've got to take the most negative stories as the most factual. Lots of people have an agenda. There's very good news coming out of Oxford. Think we've just got to wait and see. But I'd much rather have a bit of hope and positivity than be the person who wants to post doom and gloom as thought its hard fact. 

3 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Is anyone doing that?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and everyone is entitled to query them, its a forum for open discussion, and may the best man, sorry 2 legged humanoid, win.

• Like 2

I certainly hope that the news from Oxford will result in a successful outcome, but it is important to keep a sense of balance, and not only report the positive news stories. 

And now,  with my half empty glass in front of me, is anyone else slightly worried about the fact that the possible long term side effects of these new vaccines are not yet appreciated, given the speed with which the trials are progressing ?

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, and everyone is entitled to query them, its a forum for open discussion, and may the best man, sorry 2 legged humanoid, win.

This morning I have self-identified as the forum's equality, diversity and inclusion officer and this post is in an appalling affront to those with only one leg, let alone those with none at all. 

You have now been cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I certainly hope that the news from Oxford will result in a successful outcome, but it is important to keep a sense of balance, and not only report the positive news stories. 

And now,  with my half empty glass in front of me, is anyone else slightly worried about the fact that the possible long term side effects of these new vaccines are not yet appreciated, given the speed with which the trials are progressing ?

I guess you won't be volunteering to be a guinea pig for any new vaccine then wowzz, mind you I doubt I will either, but that's more down to age and fact that I am my wife's sole carer. than major concerns about any safety.

2 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

This morning I have self-identified as the forum's equality, diversity and inclusion officer and this post is in an appalling affront to those with only one leg, let alone those with none at all. 

Oops, sorry Annie, I will try to be better in future.

6 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

I have self identified as a Newt, and later today I will be attempting to live up to that well known phrase referring to my drinking ability.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4