How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?

Guest ccpm

24 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Bazrat

Not doom or gloom, more reality, it was fun while it lasted, it was a joyous aside.

As a reality check

10 Million cases worldwide on the 28th June

Over 15 Million cases today 21st July

Increased by over 5 million in less then a month!

There is only one business to be in at this time and that is not cruising.

Dearly beloved!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I believe that cruising will return to some form of normality as soon as the first cruise proves to be successful, you might say I am being overly optimistic but I cannot succumb to doom and gloom.

But, it only takes one cruise to experience a case of CV19,  with subsequent quarantine measures, and consequent publicity, for the whole industry to be thrown into disarray again. The first cruise may be successful,  but so must the next hundred ! 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, wowzz said:

But, it only takes one cruise to experience a case of CV19,  with subsequent quarantine measures, and consequent publicity, for the whole industry to be thrown into disarray again. The first cruise may be successful,  but so must the next hundred ! 

Or even the next thousand, you see what I mean about doom and gloom, you could say cruising should not return till there are no cases of COVID left in the world to be truly safe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

As a reality check

10 Million cases worldwide on the 28th June

Over 15 Million cases today 21st July

Increased by over 5 million in less then a month!

There is only one business to be in at this time and that is not cruising.

Dearly beloved!

True the numbers are staggering but are you any safer on a plane, are you any safer returning to work, life is a risk one wrong turn and a piano could fall on your head I’ve seen it happen in short films 🤪

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

one wrong turn and a piano could fall on your head I’ve seen it happen in short films 🤪

It could happen anywhere Bazrat.. 

I was in B&Q yesterday and some power tools fell on my head.. 

One minute, everything was fine, then BOSCH.. 😊

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

It could happen anywhere Bazrat.. 

I was in B&Q yesterday and some power tools fell on my head.. 

One minute, everything was fine, then BOSCH.. 😊

Andy 

True B&Q is truly unsafe I walked in and there was a Wolf on the shelf staring at me 😃

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Or even the next thousand, you see what I mean about doom and gloom, you could say cruising should not return till there are no cases of COVID left in the world to be truly safe.

I am assuming, from your comments, that you are probably under 50 years of age, slim, white and have no health issues whatsoever. If that’s the case, then I can completely understand your attitude and, if I could tick all those boxes, I would probably be the same as you. In fact, I would probably fill my boots as soon as cruising recommenced. The experience would be a bit weird whilst there are any social distancing measures whatsoever, but the ships wouldn’t be full and cruises would be comparatively cheap.

However, I am mid 50’s and carrying too much weight. I am not aware that I have any underlying health issues, but the reality at my age is that I might have. A sure fire way to find out is to get a killer virus such as Covid-19. Like many people, I am desperate for life to return to normal. I am tired of all the restrictions and have a sneaky feeling that history may show that, in some respects, we over reacted. However being a bit of a news junkie,, I have followed this crisis in some detail, watched all the briefings and listened to all the medical experts. As a result, I am under no illusion that this is not a normal virus, it’s a killer one, and the facts are that cruise ships are higher risk environments than planes or hotels. And, yes, it’s higher risk than returning to work as well. 

If you doubt that cruise ships are just about the highest risk leisure activity as far as COVID-19 is concerned, just look at Norovirus. Due to the design, nature of activities and passenger behaviours on cruise ships, what is a common virus in society all the time tends to flare up into outbreaks on cruise ships. This happens quite regularly but, although it is a complete pain and can ruin a cruise, it doesn’t kill people and doesn’t affect those passengers who don’t contract it. If just one passenger or crew member boards with COVID-19 whilst in the incubation stage (undetectable, regardless of pre boarding health screening), then an outbreak will occur with potentially catastrophic consequences. 

Much as we love cruising, we have had to resign ourselves to the fact that we won’t cruise again until we are vaccinated. That’s not about doom and gloom. It’s simply listening to the facts and facing the reality of the situation.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Bazrat said:

I believe that cruising will return to some form of normality as soon as the first cruise proves to be successful, you might say I am being overly optimistic but I cannot succumb to doom and gloom.

9 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Bazrat

Not doom or gloom, more reality, it was fun while it lasted, it was a joyous aside.

I am definitely in Bazrat's camp on this, the investment in cruising is far too big to be overcome by an offshoot of the common cold.

Well put Selbourne

We’re working hard on planning our non-cruising future.  I hope it may involve one of these 🐶.  

Good luck to the younger folk.  I think I would take the risk if I was under 45.  You still have the potential cabin lockdown issue though.  Imagine if you work hard all year for a precious 14 night cruise and then end up in solitary confinement with your nearest & dearest ... 

Edited by Eddie99

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I am definitely in Bazrat's camp on this, the investment in cruising is far too big to be overcome by an offshoot of the common cold.

Offshoot of the common cold, sarcasm or humour?

11 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I am assuming, from your comments, that you are probably under 50 years of age, slim, white and have no health issues whatsoever. If that’s the case, then I can completely understand your attitude and, if I could tick all those boxes, I would probably be the same as you. In fact, I would probably fill my boots as soon as cruising recommenced. The experience would be a bit weird whilst there are any social distancing measures whatsoever, but the ships wouldn’t be full and cruises would be comparatively cheap.

However, I am mid 50’s and carrying too much weight. I am not aware that I have any underlying health issues, but the reality at my age is that I might have. A sure fire way to find out is to get a killer virus such as Covid-19. Like many people, I am desperate for life to return to normal. I am tired of all the restrictions and have a sneaky feeling that history may show that, in some respects, we over reacted. However being a bit of a news junkie,, I have followed this crisis in some detail, watched all the briefings and listened to all the medical experts. As a result, I am under no illusion that this is not a normal virus, it’s a killer one, and the facts are that cruise ships are higher risk environments than planes or hotels. And, yes, it’s higher risk than returning to work as well. 

If you doubt that cruise ships are just about the highest risk leisure activity as far as COVID-19 is concerned, just look at Norovirus. Due to the design, nature of activities and passenger behaviours on cruise ships, what is a common virus in society all the time tends to flare up into outbreaks on cruise ships. This happens quite regularly but, although it is a complete pain and can ruin a cruise, it doesn’t kill people and doesn’t affect those passengers who don’t contract it. If just one passenger or crew member boards with COVID-19 whilst in the incubation stage (undetectable, regardless of pre boarding health screening), then an outbreak will occur with potentially catastrophic consequences. 

Much as we love cruising, we have had to resign ourselves to the fact that we won’t cruise again until we are vaccinated. That’s not about doom and gloom. It’s simply listening to the facts and facing the reality of the situation.

Your almost correct in your profile of me I am past sixty mixed race and overweight with underlying health issues so you was close, yes I fully understand the implications of the virus more so than most but I also understand the risks of cruising but will I let it worry me no.

It is very easy to look at the downside of every situation but because of my past I always hope to see the bright side and will continue to do so.

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Well put Selbourne

We’re working hard on planning our non-cruising future.  I hope it may involve one of these 🐶.  

Good luck to the younger folk.  I think I would take the risk if I was under 45.  You still have the potential cabin lockdown issue though.  Imagine if you work hard all year for a precious 14 night cruise and then end up in solitary confinement with your nearest & dearest ... 

imagine if it all goes well there are always two sides but it is totally your choice like it is mine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Your almost correct in your profile of me I am past sixty mixed race and overweight with underlying health issues so you was close, yes I fully understand the implications of the virus more so than most but I also understand the risks of cruising but will I let it worry me no.

It is very easy to look at the downside of every situation but because of my past I always hope to see the bright side and will continue to do so.

If that’s an accurate description of yourself, you’ll appreciate that should you contract Covid, you’re at a pretty high risk of its causing you serious problems.

Take care.

• Like 2

I'm in Selbourne's camp. I too think that some of the current restrictions are nonsensical,  but since the removal of lockdown we have gone out more and eaten out more than would normally have been the case. We have also booked a flight and villa for November. 

But, we have not even considered booking a new cruise (other than moving our deposit on a 2021 cruise to 2022). Too many unknowns with regard to the onboard experience, and whilst I'm fairly relaxed about my risk level in a half empty pub, I'm less so in a cruise ship, even at 50% capacity. And there has still been no detailed protocol issued as to what will happen when a CV19 case is detected on board. I don't fancy being locked up in a cabin (even with a balcony) for 14 days. Lady W's thoughts on being locked up with me for that long a time are unprintable! 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Without being unkind, in your shoes I would be very concerned,  and would not be putting myself in a position of risk. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Very well said Selbourne.  And if anyone has any doubts about the danger of this virus, one of the young seasonal staff that we have at the Harbour in the summer has just lost one of his friends.  Age 22, male, fit, no underlying conditions.  He is very aware of what this can do.  So like you, we will not be cruising untill vaccinated, and certainly wouldn't go with restrictions on board.

I am 73, no underlying conditions, fairly slim and good low blood pressure, but a lot younger than me have died.

Edited by jeanlyon

45 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If that’s an accurate description of yourself, you’ll appreciate that should you contract Covid, you’re at a pretty high risk of its causing you serious problems.

Take care.

Actually I forgot to add very good looking intelligent witty and not prone to exaggeration

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

For every horror story of young deaths I’ve seen an over 80’s person recover from this horrible condition. I even saw on the news a lady over 100 recover!

Scare stories are everywhere but we have to weigh up the risks or no one would ever get out of bed in the mornings.

For my part I already had a med cruise booked for September 2021 which we used our FFC to upgrade to a balcony. If things haven’t improved much before then I will move it to 2022.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To put it into perspective, according to the Office of National Statistics there have been 8.4 deaths per 100,000 people in the under-65s, rising to 286 deaths per 100,000 in the over-65s.  That’s 34 times the risk.

The younger you are, the safer you are - but as with everything, there will always be the odd exception.

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

To put it into perspective, according to the Office of National Statistics there have been 8.4 deaths per 100,000 people in the under-65s, rising to 286 deaths per 100,000 in the over-65s.  That’s 34 times the risk.

The younger you are, the safer you are - but as with everything, there will always be the odd exception.

Exactly - Jean posted this story before, and as was pointed out at the time, many people die far too young from cancer, heart disease etc but they never get the publicity that a single death from CV19 receives. 

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am not disagreeing with that at all, but to say that you are 50, and fit is no guarantee that it won't kill you.  Cancer and heart disease are treatable.

Not always the cemetery is full of those who never recovered from heart disease and cancer.