How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?

Guest ccpm

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

What is fb, and am I missing out on something really important that will enhance my life?😞

No??  I didn’t think so. I'll stay with the lovely folks on CC.😘

Avril 

FB is a social media forum that I avoid like the plague.  It is used a lot by younger people.  I have seen it referred to as facecloth and other disparaging names.

• Like 1

Just now, Josy1953 said:

FB is a social media forum that I avoid like the plague.  It is used a lot by younger people.  I have seen it referred to as facecloth and other disparaging names.

Most of the younger people have moved on from FB, because it’s been invaded by older people!

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

It is entirely possible to have a disagreement and still be respectful.

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

As one of the black sheep of the ‘family’, I’d agree entirely. Rudeness achieves nothing.  😄

My sentiments too. I love a good healthy debate, and what I find on this forum is that everyone's views  are respected, even if not agreed with,  grudges aren't held and if someone feels aggrieved apologies soon follow. I have to also say that my views on  some topics have been changed by some posters' opinions. I'm not saying whose though.😉

Avril 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Whilst we all have different points of view, and sometimes things can get a little heated at times, I always feel on here that underneath it all there is a level of basic civility. This is not always the case on FB.

It is entirely possible to have a disagreement and still be respectful.

Agree.

I think there is a good hotch potch of posters here.

I'm a bit flippant, having a butterfly mind.  I'm not unintelligent and  I read most things and have learnt a lot, but I would never post anything technical or mechanical.    Its just not me.   I would get it all a*** upwards and probably wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about.

No it's fine on here as it it. I enjoy it, the good news and the not so good re cruising.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

What is fb, and am I missing out on something really important that will enhance my life?😞

No??  I didn’t think so. I'll stay with the lovely folks on CC.😘

Avril 

Good decision imo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We are certainly more knowledgable that most on FB, it never ceases to amaze me the basic nature of some of their questions that are asked on the P&O sites that I follow. The old saying if some of them had a brain they would be dangerous springs to mind.

I believe on here we have all cruised quite a bit and can give or take advice knowing it is first hand experience we are getting rather than second hand knowledge from a friend of a friend etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Most of the younger people have moved on from FB, because it’s been invaded by older people!

I agree Harry.

My three kids are early to mid twenties and although they have FB accounts they rarely use them these days. They're more interested in Instagram and snapchat. The appeal faded when their Grandparents started "following" them 😂 My husband and I deleted our FB accounts about 5 years ago and felt much better for it.

• Like 2

On 7/9/2020 at 1:35 PM, ccpm said:

I have kept myself up to date with all the threads and share concerns outlined. For me I am 66, my husband died a while ago, no kids and I am I suppose "well off" how i hate that description as I worked so hard to save money along with my OH and never got to spend it. I have been so careful to follow guidelines since Covid 19 started whilst my neighbours clearly did not. I am still doing so. My hobby and total pleasure has for so long been cruising, I feel safe, I tailor the P&O package to meet my needs i.e. I book a balcony and add in select dining every night, take the drinks package and buy spa stuff too.

To the OP, even you though you obviously are in a very good situation in many ways, I feel sympathy for your situation.  I had often recommended cruising to my SIL before, but especially after her husband died and she finally tried one with P&O earlier this year, and loved it - so much so that she booked another two immediately.  She is a similar age to you and is also 'comfortable' financially.  She enjoyed cruising for all the reasons you gave.

A PP suggested taking a look at Warner hotels, and they also do solo holidays.  I have never taken one myself, but have a friend who takes at least one Warner break every year and speaks very highly of them.  Worth a look and it would give you something to look forward to.

Meanwhile, have you considered volunteering for a charity which runs a telephone service?  I have been a volunteer with Re-engage (a daft new name for a very old charity which provides monthly tea parties for the elderly who cannot get out without assistance) and we ring our participants, who we know personally of course, weekly.  The charity also runs a telephone only service.  There is nothing like speaking with those less fortunate who really do value a chat for making you appreciate your own life.

Possibly more advice than you bargained for, so my apologies if it is unwelcome.  Meanwhile, we can all hope that the longed-for vaccine is just around the corner and we can all continue to enjoy what some of us (me for sure!) had taken very much for granted in recent years.

Edited by mrsgoggins
  • Like 3

Re Warner Hotels, I have had quite a few short breaks with them and thoroughly enjoy them. Personally, I wouldn't spend a week there but have found the 3 night weekend and 4 night midweek breaks ideal. I have just had an email from them to talk about entertainment. They have planned open air concerts at all their properties together with bands being shown on large screens. Daytime quizzes etc will be held in their large cabaret rooms as opposed to bars. Looks like they are getting well organised.

• Like 1

Many thanks for the advice received it was very useful. I have tried Warners holidays before and on advice received have booked a 3 day break locally. I have received via the internet a number of emails about local hotels where myself and my husband ate/stayed and have booked meals out and in the case of the lake district where my friend is the head chef I have accepted his invite to stay with him and his family plus my dogs are coming too.

Plus I have decided to employ someone to a position I don't know how to title. Basically its just to come help me out, must love dogs, needs to be flexible, can live in/out. But in there they can gain business experience as I still oversee my businesses and they will get to understand that. CC is a bonus many thanks to all.

Just to add if I can cruise safely I will be doing so when it meets my needs.

Oh and last point to answer from replies I have cruised on the "premium" lines but I must be an absolute plebe as it was fine but it no way could I justify in my mind the money spent. I love the formal side of cruising which didn't exist on these American lines. I have no use at all for a block party or a meet and mingle. I like to meet people slowly. I suppose the money angle is the same as my husband always drove a top of the range BMW/Lexus. Me I drive a small car can't cope with a big one regardless of money. I have just bought a hybrid Honda Jazz having driven a petrol one for 14 years. Not so sure why hybrid but my nephew persuaded me to consider it and my accountant said it was a better deal.

Edited by ccpm

Yet another thread asking what would get people back to cruising?   It's as if cruise line operatives are at work doing research ! lol

Nothing has changed.

The single most damning problem facing P&O and  any other cruise line remains the same

That is . . .

What protocols will the cruise line follow IF a passenger or crew member is confirmed (or even suspected) to have COVID-19?

Until cruise lines stop prevaricating on this issue and trying to hide behind cosmetic matters of social distancing and mask wearing and buffet serving, nothing will change and it will remain Game Over for the cruise industry as a whole.

They HAVE to provide a formally stated solution to what will happen when someone on-board gets COVID-19.

If the protocol is still what we all saw on the Diamond Princess then so long and thanks for all the fish.  The industry is dead at that point.

So the wait continues.  7 months since the first UK cases appeared and still I have seen no cruise line put out any kind of statement as to how they propose to deal with on-board cases of COVID-19.

We have no choice therefore but to assume they would still quarantine EVERY passenger to cabins for 1-2 weeks ala Diamond Princess.

That is not a tennable holiday proposition.

Ball remains in their court

Tick tock

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Yet another thread asking what would get people back to cruising?   It's as if cruise line operatives are at work doing research ! lol

Nothing has changed.

The single most damning problem facing P&O and  any other cruise line remains the same

That is . . .

What protocols will the cruise line follow IF a passenger or crew member is confirmed (or even suspected) to have COVID-19?

Until cruise lines stop prevaricating on this issue and trying to hide behind cosmetic matters of social distancing and mask wearing and buffet serving, nothing will change and it will remain Game Over for the cruise industry as a whole.

They HAVE to provide a formally stated solution to what will happen when someone on-board gets COVID-19.

If the protocol is still what we all saw on the Diamond Princess then so long and thanks for all the fish.  The industry is dead at that point.

So the wait continues.  7 months since the first UK cases appeared and still I have seen no cruise line put out any kind of statement as to how they propose to deal with on-board cases of COVID-19.

We have no choice therefore but to assume they would still quarantine EVERY passenger to cabins for 1-2 weeks ala Diamond Princess.

Tick tock

I was reading earlier that Aida are to  trial a few test cruisers next month.

They say three ships will sail with "reduced capacity and heightened COVID-19 protocols."

What that means is anyone's guess .

Reading their site all Aida say is you would be in good hands with their medical team, nothing about 

getting you off a ship to a hospital,should you need one.

Lots of things to answer but all we can do is wait and see if they give the right answers but I suspect

they are a long way off doing that .

All we can do is wait and see what they do next .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Nothing has changed.

That is . . .

Tick tock

I believe the first confirmed case of Covid-19 was in York on 31st January so that makes it just over 5 months.

2 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Nothing has changed.

That is . . .

Tick tock

KTS, you clearly are not reading the correct reports, the joint communique put out by the EU and the CLIA talked about reserving 5% of cabin accommodation for quarantine purposes, and it laid out the need to seek port and govt. assurance that sick patients requiring hospital treatment would be allowed to be disembarked.  There were lots of other safety issues quoted as well, granted this was not from a specific cruise line, but since the CLIA speaks for the entire industry that ought to be sufficient even for a died in the wool sceptic like you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I was reading earlier that Aida are to  trial a few test cruisers next month.

They say three ships will sail with "reduced capacity and heightened COVID-19 protocols."

What that means is anyone's guess .

Reading their site all Aida say is you would be in good hands with their medical team, nothing about 

getting you off a ship to a hospital,should you need one.

Lots of things to answer but all we can do is wait and see if they give the right answers but I suspect

they are a long way off doing that .

All we can do is wait and see what they do next .

And the Aida cruises will not have any port stops. 

• Like 1

Nothing has changed.

That is . . .

Tick tock

Sorry,  I take responsibility for the awakenenment.  I was warned that it would happen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nothing has changed.

That is . . .

Tick tock

You probably have no idea how much enjoyment your post has given everyone !

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wowzz said:

And the Aida cruises will not have any port stops. 

If you were a port authority Czar, would you let in a ship that had a giant sperm painted on the bow ?. That would frighten the locals.🤔

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

You probably have no idea how much enjoyment your post has given everyone !

Go and sit on the naughty step.   No supper for you tonight!!☺️

Edited by indiana123
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Go and sit on the naughty step.   No supper for you tonight!!☺️

The enjoyment I get is from knowing that KTS has no idea what we are talking about!

I will sit on the naughty step until my bum goes numb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 5:10 PM, Britboys said:

Re Warner Hotels, I have had quite a few short breaks with them and thoroughly enjoy them. Personally, I wouldn't spend a week there but have found the 3 night weekend and 4 night midweek breaks ideal. I have just had an email from them to talk about entertainment. They have planned open air concerts at all their properties together with bands being shown on large screens. Daytime quizzes etc will be held in their large cabaret rooms as opposed to bars. Looks like they are getting well organised.

We are club Warner platinum members. If you go on lots of breaks you get 15% off your bar bill. Saves a fortune.🤔

• Like 1

It appears that Carnival will be using the short Aida cruises to test the onboard measures with real passengers. What to do if someone tests positive is simplified by cruising to nowhere and using  Germany as the test bed. Maybe the people of Germany are less unruly subjects than the British