How are you deciding if (and when) you may book a cruise again?

Guest ccpm

Just to clarify my earlier post about doom and gloom I was not asking anyone to book cruises just not to be so negative all the time, we all know the risks we are all old enough to make our own decisions but to repeatedly inform the world we not going on a cruise as if that should make any difference to anyone’s choice is beyond me.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Oh for goodness sake.  Forget it.  Go on a cruise, wear your mask, don't go ashore.  you'll have a ball.

My sentiments exactly. Ultimately we are all responsible for our own health and do what we feel is right for us. It's as simple as that.

Avril 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am not disagreeing with that at all, but to say that you are 50, and fit is no guarantee that it won't kill you.  Cancer and heart disease are treatable.

Hopefully Jean, even without a vaccine the recent breakthroughs in treatment should make recovery more likely and significantly reduce the death rate.

32 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

to repeatedly inform the world we not going on a cruise as if that should make any difference to anyone’s choice is beyond me

It's a cruise forum!! We discuss cruising, or not, as the case maybe. We also debate it, and that's what I thought we were doing. Expressing our own opinions 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Added text
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Ultimately we are all responsible for our own health and do what we feel is right for us. It's as simple as that.

You will do for me  Avril 👍👍 👍 :classic_smile:   +1 from me !

• Like 1

From my perspective I won't be setting foot on a cruise ship for the foreseeable future possibly never again. Both me and DH work for the NHS and I've got an underlying health condition that requires immunosuppressant drugs to treat it so I'm in the clinically vulnerable category for this particular disease.

DH works in an area of respiratory medicine that has been at the forefront of dealing with Covid patients in his particular hospital and the long-lasting effects on patients who recover from the virus is truly horrific. You really wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy! I do take umbrage at likening it to the common cold for that reason.

I make no apologies for coming over as 'doom and gloom' and I sincerely hope that those of you who do want to cruise again are able to do so in a safe and enjoyable manner.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Do you deny that this is the same type of Corona virus as the common cold?

I don't consider the common cold the existential threat that COVID-19 is and COVID-19 is not the same type of coronavirus as the common cold, it is a new one to the human race. 

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I am not disagreeing with that at all, but to say that you are 50, and fit is no guarantee that it won't kill you.  Cancer and heart disease are treatable.

Assuming that you get treated in time - there is already evidence that many more people died from heart attacks during the lock down, due to their inability to get treatment as CV19 cases were getting priority. 

43 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

From my perspective I won't be setting foot on a cruise ship for the foreseeable future possibly never again. Both me and DH work for the NHS and I've got an underlying health condition that requires immunosuppressant drugs to treat it so I'm in the clinically vulnerable category for this particular disease.

DH works in an area of respiratory medicine that has been at the forefront of dealing with Covid patients in his particular hospital and the long-lasting effects on patients who recover from the virus is truly horrific. You really wouldn't wish it on your worst enemy! I do take umbrage at likening it to the common cold for that reason.

I make no apologies for coming over as 'doom and gloom' and I sincerely hope that those of you who do want to cruise again are able to do so in a safe and enjoyable manner.

Your not coming over doom and gloom just giving a honest answer to my post

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

These references to doom and gloom - I don’t see any.  Seems to be more imaginary than real.

If anyone else had posted that Harry I might have had second thoughts about my original post 🤪

Edited by Bazrat

39 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I don't consider the common cold the existential threat that COVID-19 is and COVID-19 is not the same type of coronavirus as the common cold, it is a new one to the human race. 

Any idea how many people die of seasonal flu you would be surprised by the number

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

These references to doom and gloom - I don’t see any.  Seems to be more imaginary than real.

I agree. No doom and gloom here, just facing up to reality. I’m sad that we’ve had two cruises that we were really looking forward to cancelled and that so many aspects of life are affected, but I don’t have my head in the sand either. I would fully concur with the ‘life is for living’ sentiments and that there is risk in everything (don’t get me started on the Health & Safety culture) but this is a once in 100 year event and only the foolhardy would carry on regardless IMO. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Any idea how many people die of seasonal flu you would be surprised by the number

yes, lots. but flu is not caused by a coronavirus 😕

Common cold can kill you as well if your body can't handle it. My mother aged 85 was in hospital for 2 weeks with kidney problems when she caught a cold, within days it turned to pneumonia. They threw every medication they could at, it  none of it worked.

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 1

Head in the sand and carry on regardless isn’t really the point there is not one person on this forum who as any idea what cruising will be like, until the cruise industry comes out with there proposals how to keep us safe on board I cannot make a judgement if we go or not until that time comes I will keep my head in the sand and carry on regardless.😁

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

Common cold can kill you as well if your body can't handle it. My mother aged 85 was in hospital for 2 weeks with kidney problems when she caught a cold, within days it turned to pneumonia. They threw every medication they could at, it  none of it worked.

So you do agree the common cold can be deadly.

I'm booked for November and January (which I anticipate not sailing, though I would be on them if they did), May & September and planning to add November next year. I'd give the May cruise a 50/50 chance as things stand and pretty confident about the ones after that. Sars-cov-2 is now endemic and we're going to have to learn to live with it, fortunately treatments are improving and vaccines should increase the survival rate even further.

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

13 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

So you do agree the common cold can be deadly.

To be fair John , Dave has answered that question from what his post says .:classic_mellow:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wedgeh said:

I'm booked for November and January (which I anticipate not sailing, though I would be on them if they did), May & September and planning to add November next year. I'd give the May cruise a 50/50 chance as things stand and pretty confident about the ones after that. Sars-cov-2 is now endemic and we're going to have to learn to live with it, fortunately treatments are improving and vaccines should increase the survival rate even further.

Of cruises aren't up and running by next May, the cruise industry will be on the verge of collapse.

48 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Of cruises aren't up and running by next May, the cruise industry will be on the verge of collapse.

I don’t think any large cruise companies will be left the small players would probably survive and they would charge accordingly