Ships to sail at reduced capacity until AT LEAST 2022

molly361

Just read an article that on the earnings call today the CEO said that the ships will sail at reduced capacity until AT LEAST 2022.  I knew that all ships would be at reduced capacity but I guess in my mind that was for just a few months.  Time will tell

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Unless you've already booked at a lower price. 

200.gif

Or perhaps they meet the new reduced capacity (assuming the ship is overbooked based on this capacity) by increasing the prices and giving passengers the option of paying the extra fare or offering a 100% refund if you want to cancel. Just a thought off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Or perhaps they meet the new reduced capacity (assuming the ship is overbooked based on this capacity) by increasing the prices and giving passengers the option of paying the extra fare or offering a 100% refund if you want to cancel. Just a thought off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt. 

Forget that. Let them do that to the people who cram 5 people in a room. I pay double as it is. Just put a max of 2 people per room which will eliminate all of the 3rd, 4th, 5th person discounts and reduce the total number of guests while maximizing profits. These kids have been freeloading long enough!

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, LadyMac72 said:

So what happens if there you're on a fully booked ship for 2021 and TPTB decide to reduce capacity?

Hopefully they'll cut off booking before it fills up. With the way they're operating now they'll probably book them up to get cash flow now and then cancel people later.

• Like 5

None of this is surprising.

No professionals in the health or science fields have been suggesting COVID is vanishing or even diminishing. (Yes, one group of partisan politicians has been trying to sell that fiction ... but it remains, nevertheless, a fiction.)

We ALL want the virus gone, we ALL want conditions to be like 2019 again, we ALL want to be done with masks & distancing & Purell everywhere. But none of that is remotely important. What we want doesn't change what is.

So - cruises with distancing measures are the only kind of cruising to expect anywhere in the foreseeable future. Bank on masks in public areas, enforced spacing between people on lines, and a series of inconveniences. Expect restrictions on pools, gyms, saunas, theaters,  the MDR.  And all of that is only IF the cruise lines devise enough answers to satisfy federal regulators.

Reduced capacity will actually be the least troubling change (of course it will mean higher prices).  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Are we even sure the general public, outside of cruising fanatics, will even want to take a cruise vacation? Cruising in my local market (less than an hour from several major cruise terminals) has been extremely popular pre-Covid but most people I talk to aren’t interested or are exploring other future vacation opportunities. They might not even have to limit capacity much if there isn’t an interest.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Forget that. Let them do that to the people who cram 5 people in a room. I pay double as it is. Just put a max of 2 people per room which will eliminate all of the 3rd, 4th, 5th person discounts and reduce the total number of guests while maximizing profits. These kids have been freeloading long enough!

I don't think Carnival will be able to call themselves a family cruise line if they make it so families could not sail together.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, skridge said:

I don't think Carnival will be able to call themselves a family cruise line if they make it so families could not sail together.

They can. They would just have to buy two rooms. A lot of families do it that way already.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

They can. They would just have to buy two rooms. A lot of families do it that way already.

I don't think it is reasonable to make families pay double for there vacation.  That is just my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, skridge said:

I don't think it is reasonable to make families pay double for there vacation.  That is just my opinion.

But it is ok to charge a single person almost double? Or a widower simply because their spouse passed away. Because that is the current situation. Doesn't effect me, I'm married to my life mate, but I do understand Saint Greg's point of view. Deals for families are ok, but not for individuals. By what rational?

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

If my wife passes before me, I'll just stop cruising under the current rules. After 24 years in the Navy, I'll do just fine not cruising. If I pass first - I've already given my blessing for my wife to shack up with the pool boy (not that she needs my blessing). But if she remarries, she loses my military retirement Survivor Benefit Plan benefit. So just shacking up would be the best financial decision.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

10 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

But it is ok to charge a single person almost double? Or a widower simply because their spouse passed away. Because that is the current situation. Doesn't effect me, I'm married to my life mate, but I do understand Saint Greg's point of view. Deals for families are ok, but not for individuals. By what rational?

And I think solo cruisers are perfect for the social distancing time. We pay for two people but only take up one seat at the shows. One seat in the dining room. Eat half as much food.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

If my wife passes before me, I'll just stop cruising under the current rules. After 24 years in the Navy, I'll do just fine not cruising. If I pass first - I've already given my blessing for my wife to shack up with the pool boy (not that she needs my blessing). But if she remarries, she loses my military retirement Survivor Benefit Plan benefit. So just shacking up would be the best financial decision.

Love your thinking process.  My best wishes to you and your wife.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, SDPadreFan said:

31 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm a solo and I pay double.  What's the difference?

You’re paying the minimum stateroom price which is based on the average rate for two passengers. It’s fair for the cruise lines to price this way as staterooms are advertised and sold as double occupancy.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

You’re paying the minimum stateroom price which is based on the average rate for two passengers. It’s fair for the cruise lines to price this way.

If the price just covered the room it would be fair. Since the price covers food, entertainment, and usage of their facilities, the price should be less than double.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

If the price just covered the room it would be fair. Since the price covers food, entertainment, and usage of their facilities, the price should be less than double.

Those are all considered “included” amenities. You’re paying for the room rate plus taxes based on lodging industry standards.

Just now, xDisconnections said:

Those are all considered “included” amenities. You’re paying for the room rate plus taxes based on lodging industry standards.

The lodging industry doesn't include food and entertainment.

• Like 4