Would you sail on FRED OLSEN FOR ROTTERDAM & AMSTERDAM???🚢🚢

Rotterdam

Just now, rkacruiser said:

Were you thinking before you typed this?  

Actually, YES.  I use hoodlums as an endearing term.  Previous comments have been made that FO clientele may not welcome Americans because of their behavior.  I find most Americans to be delightful and I use the word "hoodlums" as an endearing term which includes fun loving, adventuresome, and interesting.  I do not consider "hoodlums" to be thugs or criminals.  You, of course, are welcome to use the Webster Dictionary definition.  I am not fond of stuffy individuals that consider themselves superior to anyone who is not like them.  And, as I ended my last post JMO  Cherie

3 minutes ago, cccole said:

Actually, YES.  I use hoodlums as an endearing term.  Previous comments have been made that FO clientele may not welcome Americans because of their behavior.  I find most Americans to be delightful and I use the word "hoodlums" as an endearing term which includes fun loving, adventuresome, and interesting.  I do not consider "hoodlums" to be thugs or criminals.  You, of course, are welcome to use the Webster Dictionary definition.  I am not fond of stuffy individuals that consider themselves superior to anyone who is not like them.  And, as I ended my last post JMO  Cherie

I appreciate your explanation.  I do not understand the word "hoodlums" to be an enduring term.  I try on my cruises to be interesting and adventuresome and "fun loving" to the best of my ability.  I don't consider myself as a "hoodlum" by doing so.

2 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I do not understand the word "hoodlums" to be an enduring term.  

There is quite a difference between "enduring" and "endearing".  I am using the word "hoodlums" as an endearing term which I use frequently.  We all have our association with words.  Cherie

12 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sounds to me as if you are looking for issues where there are none.

Personally I prefer being quietly made welcome to aggressively selling me on something. 

The only issue is a frustration to not being easily able to obtain information about the cruises and ships and being able to book with a travel agency that is in these United States and not having to do so online through the Company's web site or through a foreign travel agency.  

Aggressive selling is something that I have observed that Regent and Oceania do.  The frequency of un-requested brochures that fill my mail box for both have thankfully decreased (due to the pandemic, I suppose).  Such advertising discourages me from considering a cruise with them.  How much could the price be reduced if such an outrageous advertising scheme could be better targeted.  And, let's not even consider the use of natural resources to produce those brochures!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The only issue is a frustration to not being easily able to obtain information about the cruises and ships and being able to book with a travel agency that is in these United States and not having to do so online through the Company's web site or through a foreign travel agency.  

Aggressive selling is something that I have observed that Regent and Oceania do.  The frequency of un-requested brochures that fill my mail box for both have thankfully decreased (due to the pandemic, I suppose).  Such advertising discourages me from considering a cruise with them.  How much could the price be reduced if such an outrageous advertising scheme could be better targeted.  And, let's not even consider the use of natural resources to produce those brochures!

In these troubling times for cruising, I think it would be a bonus to book direct with the cruise line/airline, rather than via a third party TA.  The internet is a wonderful resource for finding out information about cruise lines, ships, passengers' cruising experiences, etc.  

6 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

In these troubling times for cruising, I think it would be a bonus to book direct with the cruise line/airline, rather than via a third party TA.  The internet is a wonderful resource for finding out information about cruise lines, ships, passengers' cruising experiences, etc.  

No quibble from me about the usefulness of the internet for information.  Booking through a travel agent gives me "an agent" to represent me and help solve whatever difficulties I am or have had with my cruises.  I had that demonstrated to me in July and August 2019, once again, on cruises on Coral Princess, Westerdam, and the flights to and from Vancouver when I last visited Alaska.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cccole said:

A most interesting post, Cherie!

On 7/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, rkacruiser said:

How can anyone of us reasonably supply an answer to your question at this time?  

Someone who has sailed with Fred O before? I don't want to sail on a line that doesn't have English as the primary but am curious what Holland people think of Fred?

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

No quibble from me about the usefulness of the internet for information.  Booking through a travel agent gives me "an agent" to represent me and help solve whatever difficulties I am or have had with my cruises.  I had that demonstrated to me in July and August 2019, once again, on cruises on Coral Princess, Westerdam, and the flights to and from Vancouver when I last visited Alaska.  

We used to book ourselves for twenty years but recently started using a TA and are really impressed with their results.  Cheaper and better upgrades than our FCC.

4 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Sounds to me as if you are looking for issues where there are none.

Personally I prefer being quietly made welcome to aggressively selling me on something. 

A big Yes on that one! I do not like sales person(s) hovering over me like smell on skunk when I'm not even out of my own car yet. Let me scope thing out by my lonesome and if I need assistance and/or have questions, I will get a hold of ya

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Yes, it seems as though I get Oceania's "glossies" every other day. 👎

I'm not trying to sell you on Fred Olsen, heaven knows. I've never sailed with them myself, so I cannot do. And they may or may not be to your taste.

But as someone who has traveled with quite a number of different cruise lines and tour agencies, not all of them based in the US, I feel there is plenty of information available for anyone who really wants to investigate a Fred Olsen or similar -- this is a line that has been around for a long while, certainly not a fly-by-night or a start-up line with little available information/reviews/ratings. You just have to do the research -- there is a forum here on CC, there are reviews here (and of course on other sites -- both official and unofficial ones).

And Fred does have a US based re-seller that you can contact for information or advice on bookings, book with in US dollars, if that matters, or get brochures:   https://www.fredolsencruisesusa.com/.   It took me less than one minute to find it with Google's help.

A little story -- I got a glossy brochure from Voyages to Antiquity when they were pre-selling their first season. I read it cover to cover; I knew that IF the line delivered as promised, it was perfect for me. I agonized whether to book, especially that first season when they got a lot of poor reviews initially. Eventually I realized that a lot of the things the reviewers complained about were inconsequential things that did not bother me -- because these were people used to mass-market ships.

I finally booked my first cruise with them at the end of their first, inaugural season. And had a wonderful time. And booked another cruise with them every year for the next 10 years until they ceased operations last year. I'm so glad I didn't wait. 

My point is that I think most of us are pretty good judges of what appeals to us. Just don't be afraid to look/consider something new. So many people have said they do not like HAL's large ships -- yet they keep sailing with HAL anyway, when alternatives exist. So I guess it is not the large ships they have disliked all this while?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We used to book ourselves for twenty years but recently started using a TA and are really impressed with their results.  Cheaper and better upgrades than our FCC.

Thank you:  Finally I am reading a post that mirrors my own experience of many years with a wonderful TA!

Someone who has sailed with Fred O before? I don't want to sail on a line that doesn't have English as the primary but am curious what Holland people think of Fred?

I believe English is their primary..

• Like 1

English is the language spoken on Fred.Olsen. 

Some trivia for those who are in to that kinda thingy 😉 Fred Olson Cruise Line is actually not British-owned. It is a British-based, Norwegian-owned cruise line meaning the bloody Vikings and their spam have made another appearance. At least, the Spanish Inquisition is not expected 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

English is the language spoken on Fred.Olsen. 

Hmm.

English is my first language but after watching Downton Abbey I’ve found this yank sometimes needs subtitles and a dictionary.

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yes, it seems as though I get Oceania's "glossies" every other day. 👎

I'm not trying to sell you on Fred Olsen, heaven knows. I've never sailed with them myself, so I cannot do. And they may or may not be to your taste.

But as someone who has traveled with quite a number of different cruise lines and tour agencies, not all of them based in the US, I feel there is plenty of information available for anyone who really wants to investigate a Fred Olsen or similar -- this is a line that has been around for a long while, certainly not a fly-by-night or a start-up line with little available information/reviews/ratings. You just have to do the research -- there is a forum here on CC, there are reviews here (and of course on other sites -- both official and unofficial ones).

And Fred does have a US based re-seller that you can contact for information or advice on bookings, book with in US dollars, if that matters, or get brochures:   https://www.fredolsencruisesusa.com/.   It took me less than one minute to find it with Google's help.

A little story -- I got a glossy brochure from Voyages to Antiquity when they were pre-selling their first season. I read it cover to cover; I knew that IF the line delivered as promised, it was perfect for me. I agonized whether to book, especially that first season when they got a lot of poor reviews initially. Eventually I realized that a lot of the things the reviewers complained about were inconsequential things that did not bother me -- because these were people used to mass-market ships.

I finally booked my first cruise with them at the end of their first, inaugural season. And had a wonderful time. And booked another cruise with them every year for the next 10 years until they ceased operations last year. I'm so glad I didn't wait. 

My point is that I think most of us are pretty good judges of what appeals to us. Just don't be afraid to look/consider something new. So many people have said they do not like HAL's large ships -- yet they keep sailing with HAL anyway, when alternatives exist. So I guess it is not the large ships they have disliked all this while?

Your comments make for an excellent post and I appreciate you writing them.  

I have good cruising friends whom I first met in 2002 on the Volendam who are able to sail more frequently than me who also discovered Voyages of Antiquity and returned again and again.  Their experiences mirror yours.  They prefer smaller vessels, but have yet to try anything larger than the Volendam and her sisters.  They absolutely loved Swan Hellenic!

Your comment about "considering something new" is where I am currently as a cruiser.  January, I sailed on MSC.  In Yacht Club on MSC Meraviglia:  this was a "departure" from my preferred cruise lines as well as into a Class of Service that I have not experienced except for a paid upgrade once into a Neptune Suite.  Thoroughly enjoyed my MSC experience in all aspects other than the hassles at the Port of Miami.  

As I have indicated in previous posts, I have considered cruise companies that are not North American based.  Probably time to do so again. 

Again, I really do appreciate your post!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Some trivia for those who are in to that kinda thingy 😉 Fred Olson Cruise Line is actually not British-owned. It is a British-based, Norwegian-owned cruise line meaning the bloody Vikings and their spam have made another appearance. At least, the Spanish Inquisition is not expected 

Further trivia.  Reading the interesting history of Noble Caledonia, I discovered the company was formed in 1991, when ships were also laid up following the Gulf War.  It is a British based, majority Swedish owned cruise line, which owns its own small ships.  The company started up with the one Swedish ship, Caledonian Star.   

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Further trivia.  Reading the interesting history of Noble Caledonia, I discovered the company was formed in 1991, when ships were also laid up following the Gulf War.  It is a British based, majority Swedish owned cruise line, which owns its own small ships.  The company started up with the one Swedish ship, Caledonian Star.   

More Vikings......😵

Just requested a brochure.

Title is a required field (one that is typically optional here in US). They didn’t offer “Ms” but I could have chosen, among several others, Sir, Captain, Lady or Lord.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Hmm.

English is my first language but after watching Downton Abbey I’ve found this yank sometimes needs subtitles and a dictionary.

We are lucky as we are bi-lingual English from watching British and American TV.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Title is a required field (one that is typically optional here in US). They didn’t offer “Ms” but I could have chosen, among several others, Sir, Captain, Lady or Lord.

Correct Sir Pmp speaking here..

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Could have taken a gander at "Lady." Sorta, kinda like  "The Bouquet residence, the lady of the house speaking" 😜

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Think you are a bit adrift there, pardon the pun 😄 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred._Olsen_Cruise_Lines Norwegian owned founded 1848. They recently, within the last few years started river cruises as well as ocean cruises.

Anyone thinking of cruising with Fred who resides over the pond will, I am sure, be as welcomed as I have been when I have visited you fine country either on various cruise lines or vacation.