If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

1 hour ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My thoughts on this have changed so much since last July. Myself and my family will be getting the vaccine when it's our turn. It has nothing to do with cruising and everything to do with things going back to normal and learning a bit about the vaccines. 

I still maintain that your best defense is to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. 

My thinking has also changed over the past 2-3 months and those changes most certainly don't revolve around cruising. Cruising is no where near important enough to me to make decisions about a vaccine on.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

My thinking has also changed over the past 2-3 months and those changes most certainly don't revolve around cruising. Cruising is no where near important enough to me to make decisions about a vaccine on.

I just hope my decision is what's best long term. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

No it's not and I would never take the vaccine just so I could cruise, but I am taking it so I can do the things that are really important like being with my family and spending time with my grandson.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

My thoughts on this have changed so much since last July. Myself and my family will be getting the vaccine when it's our turn. It has nothing to do with cruising and everything to do with things going back to normal and learning a bit about the vaccines. 

I still maintain that your best defense is to maintain a healthy weight, eat right, and exercise. 

yep I agree, when making decisions like that it is about you and your family health .... nothing to do with cruising.  cruising is a luxury that would be awesome to do it...but not the be all and end all. We too have been trying to research more on the vaccination recently so we can make an informed decision for the best interests of our family..and our thoughts may change also on what we decide to do when offered the vacination. Big decision imo but it is one we are carefully and thoughtfully discussing to make sure we make the correct decision. Heres to a happy, healthy and fulfilling life

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Boy, those are the big three!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

I found this really interesting.  I remember reading your original comment. Agree that your 'best defence' mechanisms can help. I do all 3 and, although I had Covid I got away with fairly minor symptoms and no lasting effects. My original answer on this thread was that I would have no hesitation getting the vaccine - but not to cruise, just to get back to normal - indeed I had my first dose 2 days ago.

May I ask what it was that changed your mind? 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I found this really interesting.  I remember reading your original comment. Agree that your 'best defence' mechanisms can help. I do all 3 and, although I had Covid I got away with fairly minor symptoms and no lasting effects. My original answer on this thread was that I would have no hesitation getting the vaccine - but not to cruise, just to get back to normal - indeed I had my first dose 2 days ago.

May I ask what it was that changed your mind? 

I've come to accept that this may be the only way to get back to any semblance of the normal we once knew. 

Edited by Mapleleafforever
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2021 at 12:22 PM, keyboardjunkie said:

Just an FYI - I always thought Florida had the largest population of people over 65 in any state.  This actually is not correct.  I was surprised to learn that Maine beats Florida by a small percentage by percent of the state's population.  (https://www.prb.org/which-us-states-are-the-oldest/ )  Who would have guessed!

But not in the winter !!  Florida's population may be 21 MILLION but likely 30 MILLION in the winter and mainly old folks

I volunteered for the Pfizer study and got my last shot in October and had no side affects from either shot.  My wife just got her second shot today.  I believe in science and the vaccine is safe.  I understand how fast it came up but when we are at war time was not a luxury we had.  Please be safe.  I cannot wait till my son has the opportunity to get vaccinated

• Like 2

Should anyone take issue with what I have written, I ask only that you not quote my words out of context which is a commonplace issue on CC. I am writing this to make my thoughts known for your consideration and not to debate.

I believe that full vaccination against Covid19 should be mandatory. Yes, that would exclude those with health conditions that disqualify them from receiving the vaccine as well as those who choose not to receive the vaccine. 

However, taking a cruise is not a necessity. It,  too,  is a choice.  Should the cruise lines require a vaccination in order to cruise, then those people who can not be vaccinated should understand that they should choose another type of vacation where they do not put other people's lives at risk.

The CDC and the AMA have stated that the percentage of people who should not be vaccinated due to medical conditions is a very small percentage as compared to those who should be able to be immunized with few effects. 

Published statistics from every poll which questioned the willingness of passengers to be vaccinated in order to cruise shows the overwhelming majority willing to do so.

As for those who make the choice to not be vaccinated, I feel there is absolutely no time where someone else's life should ever be placed in jeopardy because of another's PERSONAL PREFERENCE. 

I have environmental allergies, one of which is to strong perfume. Inhaling it often brings on an asthma attack that may or may not require me to go to the hospital to be stabilized. I take medications in order to reduce the likelihood of a severe attack, but that is not a 100% guarantee that I will not have an attack if exposed to the allergen.

So, is it fair if I ask you and the rest of the world to no longer wear perfume?

Should Macy's remove their perfume counter so I don't have to avoid walking in that area of the store?

Should people on formal night on a cruise be told they can not wear perfume or cologne because it may trigger my asthma?

No, that would not be fair.

As the person who is in the minority, I am the one who modifies my activities and does not go to places where I might encounter something that triggers my asthma.  

People who choose to not be vaccinated or can not do so for medical reasons should do the same. To quote Spock, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

Edited by MaritimeR&R
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

Should anyone take issue with what I have written, I ask only that you not quote my words out of context which is a commonplace issue on CC. I am writing this to make my thoughts known for your consideration and not to debate.

I believe that full vaccination against Covid19 should be mandatory. Yes, that would exclude those with health conditions that disqualify them from receiving the vaccine as well as those who choose not to receive the vaccine. 

However, taking a cruise is not a necessity. It,  too,  is a choice.  Should the cruise lines require a vaccination in order to cruise, then those people who can not be vaccinated should understand that they should choose another type of vacation where they do not put other people's lives at risk.

The CDC and the AMA have stated that the percentage of people who should not be vaccinated due to medical conditions is a very small percentage as compared to those who should be able to be immunized with few effects. 

Published statistics from every poll which questioned the willingness of passengers to be vaccinated in order to cruise shows the overwhelming majority willing to do so.

As for those who make the choice to not be vaccinated, I feel there is absolutely no time where someone else's life should ever be placed in jeopardy because of another's PERSONAL PREFERENCE. 

I have environmental allergies, one of which is to strong perfume. Inhaling it often brings on an asthma attack that may or may not require me to go to the hospital to be stabilized. I take medications in order to reduce the likelihood of a severe attack, but that is not a 100% guarantee that I will not have an attack if exposed to the allergen.

So, is it fair if I ask you and the rest of the world to no longer wear perfume?

Should Macy's remove their perfume counter so I don't have to avoid walking in that area of the store?

Should people on formal night on a cruise be told they can not wear perfume or cologne because it may trigger my asthma?

As the person who is in the minority, I am the one who modifies my activities and does not go to places where I might encounter something that triggers my asthma.  

People who choose to not be vaccinated or can not do so for medical reasons should do the same. To quote Spock, "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."

While I agree with many of the things you say, there are times when the "few" need to have their voices heard. Let's suppose you are allergic to dogs. You are on a flight somewhere and a person with a service dog sits next to you on the flight. Do you know who gets off the flight? YOU! That person/dog have more "rights" than you do. Is it "fair"? That depends on who you ask.

How many times have we seen in the news where one person can complain about something and everyone else has to adjust to that one. Take peanut allergies. If one child has a peanut allergy, no one in the class/cafeteria could have a peanut butter sandwich. You get the idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Did someone “quote” your words out of context, that seems to me what you’re saying?  I couldn’t find anything the last few pages. 

M8

I was trying to head off what I have seen happen on CC; it was not a reference to something I had said on this thread previously.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

While I agree with many of the things you say, there are times when the "few" need to have their voices heard. Let's suppose you are allergic to dogs. You are on a flight somewhere and a person with a service dog sits next to you on the flight. Do you know who gets off the flight? YOU! That person/dog have more "rights" than you do. Is it "fair"? That depends on who you ask.

How many times have we seen in the news where one person can complain about something and everyone else has to adjust to that one. Take peanut allergies. If one child has a peanut allergy, no one in the class/cafeteria could have a peanut butter sandwich. You get the idea.

I am allergic to dogs and have requested my seat be changed, through the years several times from first class to premium. In that case, yes, there is an exception. However,  peanut allergies can be life threatening and don't deserve to be compared to someone's personal preference to not to get vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I am allergic to dogs and have requested my seat be changed, through the years several times from first class to premium. In that case, yes, there is an exception. However,  peanut allergies can be life threatening and don't deserve to be compared to someone's personal preference to not to get vaccinated.

Personal preference, yes.....I was talking about those with a medical allergy to PEG who have been told to NOT get the vaccine.

It has been suggested on these boards that those people should be forced to go to the hospital and get the vaccine (where they could be treated should an anaphylactic episode occur) just so people can cruise or so that we can "get back to normal".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CaroleSS said:

It has been suggested on these boards that those people should be forced to go to the hospital and get the vaccine (where they could be treated should an anaphylactic episode occur) just so people can cruise or so that we can "get back to normal".

I did not suggest that nor do I agree with that. I do, however, feel that though it is unfortunate, those who can not for medical reasons be vaccinated should look to other venues for their vacation rather than place other people's lives in jeopardy. 

• Like 1

Just now, MaritimeR&R said:

I did not suggest that nor do I agree with that. I do, however, feel that though it is unfortunate, those who can not for medical reasons be vaccinated should look to other venues for their vacation rather than place other people's lives in jeopardy. 

I never said you said it, I said "some" as it has been done. I have also stated that my sister (the person with the PEG allergy) is not a cruiser....so you can feel safe on your cruise knowing she won't be trying to kill you.

Life is dangerous. Many people are killed in car accidents. Should we all stop driving so we don't "place other people's lives in jeopardy"? 

I am suggesting that we do not vilify someone for their choices or to make blanket statements.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I agree with your point of view generally. Generally. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule about this, though. I agree with the other poster who pointed out the potential "tyranny of the minority," where one person's allergy (e.g. peanuts) leads to the banning of them for everyone. That's ridiculous, in my opinion. I appreciate your perspective in realizing that your intolerance of perfume doesn't mean the whole world has to bend its will to accommodate you. But when it comes to Covid, we aren't talking about a disease that kills 100% of those exposed to it. Or 90%, or 80%, or 70% etc. We're talking 5% at most. At most. The one thing that people point out relentlessly about this is the idea that one person shouldn't potentially (not a guarantee) put other peoples' lives at risk. But the risk isn't that great in the first place! If the average driver had a 5% chance of causing a car accident that potentially caused the death of others, should that person not be able to drive? Of course not. I am of the opinion that if I am vaccinated, it won't matter to me if unvaccinated individuals are on board the same ship. I spend on average 5-10 minutes engaging in close conversation with people on ships, not 1-2 hours. I'm not worried, and if others choose not to get the vaccine, it's no bother to me. Now, having that said, I think that private businesses like cruise lines have the right to demand that people get vaccinated as a condition of allowing them to sail. My worry is that a small but vocal cadre of people who can't get vaccinated for whatever reason are going to sue if they aren't allowed to cruise. And I don't like that prospect one bit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1