14 day Quarantine starting tomorrow for travellers from Spain

jeanlyon

12 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

The government gave clear advice that travel to Spain was ok the insurance companies also agreed with that assumption,government ministers went on holiday to Spain. But those on here with the ability of foresight knew that the government was wrong and those poor people who followed all the guidelines have only themselves to blame. 

I don't think anyone had foresight.  Simply that a certain amount of common sense would prevent most people from going abroad at the first minute restrictions are lifted.

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't think anyone had foresight.  Simply that a certain amount of common sense would prevent most people from going abroad at the first minute restrictions are lifted.

Why should people not go on a holiday that they booked months ago ?  The Government was perfectly happy for people to travel right up until Saturday afternoon. Nothing to do with common sense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

So you are saying  Jean common sense dictates you ignore government advice and not to travel on holiday to Spain, would that be your powers of foresight or you new something about Spain the rest did not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Why should people not go on a holiday that they booked months ago ?  The Government was perfectly happy for people to travel right up until Saturday afternoon. Nothing to do with common sense.

Why would you follow government advice including government ministers who also gone on holiday there

As those returning are allowed to use public transport home from the airport, go out for a list of appointments, do food shopping if they have no one else to do it for them and the follow up procedures to check compliance seems limited, the whole thing is a bit of a farce.

The most likely way that people will be caught and fined if they don’t comply is if they are reported by an employer, colleague or neighbour for example.

I have faith that most people will do the right thing and follow the rules. Those who don’t are unlikely to be punished as they are unlikely to be caught and the fine for a first offence would be a lot less than losing 2 weeks wages, see below. The first fine of UP TO £1000 is likely to be a lot less and only £480 in Scotland (which is set at that rates to be the same as other related fines). The second offence fine of £5000 in Scotland might sting a bit more but they still have to get caught first.

“People who do not self-isolate can be fined up to £1,000 in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland and those returning to Scotland could be fined £480, with fines up to £5,000 for persistent offenders.”

I do feel very sorry for people who went away in good faith and now have to deal with this mess. They do however need to isolate if that is the current guidance and I have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught and fined for not doing so.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I do feel very sorry for people who went away in good faith and now have to deal with this mess. They do however need to isolate if that is the current guidance and I have no sympathy for anyone who gets caught and fined for not doing so.

Totally agree with your views on the people who followed the government advice that it was safe to travel.

2 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I agree entirely.

But unfortunately we have in this country a whole raft of laws which are almost completely unenforced.  And a large number of people happy to exploit that.

Shoplifting is barely enforced; theft, burglary much the same.  Online, telephone and other banking fraud, even that carried out within the UK, costs hundreds of millions every year but virtually no attempts are being made to deal with it.

What hope of catching people who choose to ignore quarantine, whatever the theoretical risk of being caught?

3 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I agree entirely.

But unfortunately we have in this country a whole raft of laws which are almost completely unenforced.  And a large number of people happy to exploit that.

Shoplifting is barely enforced; theft, burglary much the same.  Online, telephone and other banking fraud, even that carried out within the UK, costs hundreds of millions every year but virtually no attempts are being made to deal with it.

What hope of catching people who choose to ignore quarantine, whatever the theoretical risk of being caught?

Yes many things are not fully enforced. The decent in society will comply with them anyway and the threat of perhaps being caught is some deterrent at least for others.

Only time will tell how many people are fined for breaking quarantine. As I said above I think  employers might just be the ones to enforce it if they know someone was on holiday and where, they won’t risk an outbreak on their premises.

• Like 1

I can just imagine someone coming back to work and giving the whole place the virus.  We would be in deep doodoo here if just one of us catches it.  We are a very small team and we would all have to isolate.  Nightmare.  Must say, going by today, most customers are wearing masks even though we have good screens.

Edited by jeanlyon

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I can just imagine someone coming back to work and giving the whole place the virus.  We would be in deep doodoo here if just one of us catches it.  We are a very small team and we would all have to isolate.  Nightmare.  Must say, going by today, most customers are wearing masks even though we have good screens.

But that applies to people returning to work from anywhere. What about those you have been in the East Midlands - surely they should be put into quarantine? 

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

But that applies to people returning to work from anywhere. What about those you have been in the East Midlands - surely they should be put into quarantine? 

There is a lot of incongruity (and some would say unfairness) in the current situation, you couldn’t make some of it up.

3 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Theoretically, you’re right. But only a very specific area of the East Midlands, and there are other areas you’d also want to include.

A case of balancing what’s theoretically right with what’s practically achievable though.

7 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There is a lot of incongruity (and some would say unfairness) in the current situation, you couldn’t make some of it up.

When the govt take action too late, then some complain  when they take action too soon, still they complain, so far I have not heard many applaud when the govt take action on time

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

When the govt take action too late, then some complain  when they take action too soon, still they complain, so far I have not heard many applaud when the govt take action on time

Yep, spot on.

9 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I don’t disagree. The whole situation is difficult to navigate for every government.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bazrat said:

The government gave clear advice that travel to Spain was ok the insurance companies also agreed with that assumption,government ministers went on holiday to Spain. But those on here with the ability of foresight knew that the government was wrong and those poor people who followed all the guidelines have only themselves to blame. 

Anyone booking a holiday at the moment must know that advice and lockdown rules could change at the drop of a hat. If that isn't taken into consideration when weighing up options, then it should have been. No fault of the government if people look at life through rose tinted spectacles. We have just got back from a week away. If we got caught out and had to quarantine, that would be our fault.

• Like 2

I find it interesting to read today that cancellation would not be covered by insurance.  So the Government lifts the restriction, you book a holiday and you have travel insurance.  Then the Government stop travel and you have no cancellation cover.  Presumably this was told to the customer when they bought the insurance, or already had it.

39 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I want the Government to give advice and make some rules. If some folks want a protective blanket to cuddle up to at night, look elsewhere please. I don't want that kind of government.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Anyone booking a holiday at the moment must know that advice and lockdown rules could change at the drop of a hat

Yes, but thousands of people will have booked holidays to Spain long before anyone had even heard of CV19. And if they decided to cancel, prior to the new restrictions imposed by the government,  they would have forfeited the entire cost of their holiday.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I find it interesting to read today that cancellation would not be covered by insurance.  So the Government lifts the restriction, you book a holiday and you have travel insurance.  Then the Government stop travel and you have no cancellation cover.  Presumably this was told to the customer when they bought the insurance, or already had it.

All in the policy terms and conditions, but very few people bother to read them. So many just opt for the cheapest cover, regardless of detail, the extent of the cover and the reputation of the insurer with claims.

• Like 3

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

All in the policy terms and conditions, but very few people bother to read them. So many just opt for the cheapest cover, regardless of detail, the extent of the cover and the reputation of the insurer with claims.

To be fair, how many people buying insurance cover as recently as February,  would have checked to see if they were covered for a pandemic ?

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I want the Government to give advice and make some rules. If some folks want a protective blanket to cuddle up to at night, look elsewhere please. I don't want that kind of government.

You’d have been no lover of the government which brought in the National Health Service in 1948, then, despite Conservative opposition.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

To be fair, how many people buying insurance cover as recently as February,  would have checked to see if they were covered for a pandemic ?

Very few, probably, but the better policies paid out. Cheapest isn’t always best, particularly with something like travel insurance.