14 day Quarantine starting tomorrow for travellers from Spain

jeanlyon

Just now, wowzz said:

Just a total knee jerk reaction (again) with no scientific evidence.

Yes, certain parts of Spain (and the UK) are experiencing spikes, but imagine the uproar if Spain did the same to the UK purely based on what is happening in Leicester. 

If you want to quarantine people coming back from Spain,  why still allow people to fly there? Sheer nincompoopery!

Is there anyone in government with the slightest modicum of common sense?

It feels like a bit of a tickbox exercise just so that they can say that they've done it, at some point in the future. The whole Leicester thing feels very much the same (I speak as a prisoner of the city). The virus levels were coming down before they imposed lockdown but you can be sure the government will claim it was their action that did it. And I'm not particularly anti government, i think they've done an OK job in some respects. But a lot of these decisions seem ill judged. 

• Like 1

I see now that the UK government is advising against travel to mainland Spain. So basically,  that destroys the Spanish economy, plus much of the UK tourist industry. 

From a cruise perspective, how confident is anyone about cruises to Europe,  let alone anywhere else this year?

8 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I wouldn't trust any politician as far as I could throw them! 

I would agree with you. The one politician that I did have time for, was Frank Field, a decent man,  with a sense of perspective.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Another two places off the holiday list 🤣🤣

Nothing wrong with Wolverhampton we have a great football team average brewery 1 decent pub and a boating lake, obviously no boats because cruising is banned.

• Like 5

Just now, Bazrat said:

Nothing wrong with Wolverhampton we have a great football team average brewery 1 decent pub and a boating lake, obviously no boats because cruising is banned.

I'm from that neck of the woods (born in Cannock) so I know the area well. I don't mind Wolverhampton. Smethwick on the other hand 🥴

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Is there anyone in government with the slightest modicum of common sense?

No.  Just a bunch of overgrown schoolboys interested only in furthering their own careers.  What's gone wrong with politics in this country?  Probably the PPE entry route.

• Like 2

With this very much in mind, it does make any travel abroad a very risky proposition now unless you’re prepared to self isolate for 14 days on return.

If it can happen with Spain so suddenly it can happen anywhere.  Very bad news for the travel industry.  Very good news though for the British tourist industry.  Not sure you’ll be too happy though, Jean.

25 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Whilst not a supporter of our government, I do have some sympathy with them on this one. I wonder how many of those currently in Spain or due to travel there who are complaining about the fact that the restrictions were imposed with no notice were also complaining about a seeming lack of urgency in imposing restrictions earlier on in the pandemic?
Anyway, it won’t last for long. No doubt when Grant Shapps is due to return from his holiday, the quarantine requirements will have been lifted (unless it is a ploy to keep him out of the way). That said, my Canaries cruise at the end of October is looking even less likely, even though the quarantine arrangements do not include the Canaries.

Canaries & Balearic Islands now included in quarantine rules, when advice was first updated they were excluded.

2 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Canaries & Balearic Islands now included in quarantine rules, when advice was first updated they were excluded.

You are a bundle of joy,I had a feint hope we might get away with it

32 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Whilst not a supporter of our government, I do have some sympathy with them on this one. I wonder how many of those currently in Spain or due to travel there who are complaining about the fact that the restrictions were imposed with no notice were also complaining about a seeming lack of urgency in imposing restrictions earlier on in the pandemic?
Anyway, it won’t last for long. No doubt when Grant Shapps is due to return from his holiday, the quarantine requirements will have been lifted (unless it is a ploy to keep him out of the way). That said, my Canaries cruise at the end of October is looking even less likely, even though the quarantine arrangements do not include the Canaries.

Sorry, but the quarantine rules include both the Canaries and the Balearics.  

The Canarian authorities are in discussions with the FCO to try and get the quarantine restrictions lifted for their islands.  

Hmmm, 

not looking hopeful for the October restart, or our cruise to the canaries at the end of nov.

really can’t see any country wanting to accept a cruise ship for the day. 

Edited by amfc_lenny

We have 3 weeks booked in Lanzarote in November. Even if the quarantine rules are still in place (which I doubt) we will still be going, assuming our flights are operating. A 14 day quarantine period in late November in the UK is not really an issue for us.

This was always likely. A girl I used to work with was putting up on Facebook how she wanted to go on holiday blah blah, ignoring comments that were asking  if she had insurance. Luckily for her she just went to Malaga for 4 days and is already back. I can just imagine her wailing and moaning if she’d had to be quarantined 🙄

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

It's the same here in Devon.  No social distancing, although there were a lot more masks today. 

My friend has just come back from a week in Devon, she said it was very quiet and she felt very safe. 

• Like 1

I do feel for those booked on Mainland Spain and Canary Island cruises who's 12 week payment deadline comes up in the next two weeks ...come on P&O - yes we are in unpredictable times, but yes you could (easily) move balance payment dates to 4 weeks before departure.

On the Spain announcement, I have noted that easyJet are maintaining a full flight schedule.  I would not be surprised if many continue to travel and then perhaps turn their phones off for a couple of weeks upon their return, just in case they get a "text."  Not recommending this of course! 😤

If the Government wanted to ensure high levels of compliance with the "avoid all but essential travel" rule for Spain, then the quarantine facility would be Government provided and possibly paid for by passengers (reference Arrowe Park and Milton Keynes conference centre).

In the absence of the above, compliance will most likely be moderate, unless all holiday companies cancel.  There is little provable evidence to suggest high levels of quarantine compliance with countries currently not on the list, as the number of physical checks is very low.

Edited by No pager thank you
Typo

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

With this very much in mind, it does make any travel abroad a very risky proposition now unless you’re prepared to self isolate for 14 days on return.

If it can happen with Spain so suddenly it can happen anywhere.  Very bad news for the travel industry.  Very good news though for the British tourist industry.  Not sure you’ll be too happy though, Jean.

Given the money our hotels, attractions, pubs etc have lost during lockdown it would be good if people did support their local economies across the U.K. to save jobs and businesses.

Im actually surprised that so many people have booked for abroad in the current circumstances.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Given the money our hotels, attractions, pubs etc have lost during lockdown it would be good if people did support their local economies across the U.K. to save jobs and businesses.

Im actually surprised that so many people have booked for abroad in the current circumstances.

Watching the rain pour down yesterday, I'm not surprised at all!

21 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A lot of people would've booked well before the virus was known about. We always book as soon as flights go on sale to get the best price. Think we booked out flights to Spain for October, back in January. 

15 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

A lot of people would've booked well before the virus was known about. We always book as soon as flights go on sale to get the best price. Think we booked out flights to Spain for October, back in January. 

Sorry I should have been more explicit, yes there will of course be advanced bookings and I feel sorry for anyone in that situation now waiting on refunds etc.

There have however been a lot of bookings made in just the last few weeks since the air corridors opened up which are the ones I am surprised about. I know of several people locally who booked immediately the travel agents opened!

• Like 3