14 day Quarantine starting tomorrow for travellers from Spain

jeanlyon

25 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Watching the rain pour down yesterday, I'm not surprised at all!

Skin is waterproof Wozz and you would get the warm internal glow from helping the economy 😉.

Some sunshine would be nice but the situation is far too fluid at the moment and a journey in an aeroplane is not appealing in the slightest. I also do feel I should be spending in the U.K. to support business. A staycation or two this year will do me no harm (except of course for the webbed feet from the rain and the chill lanes from the frost).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Is there anyone in government with the slightest modicum of common sense?

Yes, but they're all gagged. Also Grant Schapps says he will isolate for 14 days when he gets back. Wait and see 

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Added text

41 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Sorry I should have been more explicit, yes there will of course be advanced bookings and I feel sorry for anyone in that situation now waiting on refunds etc.

There have however been a lot of bookings made in just the last few weeks since the air corridors opened up which are the ones I am surprised about. I know of several people locally who booked immediately the travel agents opened!

One of the problems you faced with I tried to book my parents into the hotel in Devon, they have used It for years it is now nearly £500 more than last year.

35 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Skin is waterproof Wozz and you would get the warm internal glow from helping the economy 😉.

Some sunshine would be nice but the situation is far too fluid at the moment and a journey in an aeroplane is not appealing in the slightest. I also do feel I should be spending in the U.K. to support business. A staycation or two this year will do me no harm (except of course for the webbed feet from the rain and the chill lanes from the frost).

I think we should probably adopt the Norwegian attitude that there is no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing

The money saved on not going abroad will easily cover the cost of Berghaus or similar jacket, waterproof trousers and good footwear.  That should get you outside in all but the most foul conditions (when I think there is no point at all in going out and we should enjoy an indulgent day in with book, music, box set, jigsaw, whatever - without guilt)

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

One of the problems you faced with I tried to book my parents into the hotel in Devon, they have used It for years it is now nearly £500 more than last year.

I'm afraid that's going to be par for the course now.  With revenues already lost and the added costs of Covid proofing their hotels, extra cleaning protocols and social distancing in their on-site restaurants and/or bars. I think it's understandable really. We'd pay the extra to be safe.

Avril 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

That should get you outside in all but the most foul conditions (when I think there is no point at all in going out and we should enjoy an indulgent day in with book, music, box set, jigsaw, whatever - without guilt)

I can't think of a nicer way to enjoy this typical British 'summer' we're experiencing at the moment. 

Avril 

There was always the chance that there would be either a second spike or local lockdowns and can understand why the government has instigated quarantine on return for 14 days. Personally dont feel sorry for people now in Spain and whinging because it was always on the cards and was far too early to risk going to Spain/Canaries and other countries who have been badly affected by Covid-19.

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

There was always the chance that there would be either a second spike or local lockdowns and can understand why the government has instigated quarantine on return for 14 days. Personally dont feel sorry for people now in Spain and whinging because it was always on the cards and was far too early to risk going to Spain/Canaries and other countries who have been badly affected by Covid-19.

There was a couple on the news this morning who are in Spain saying they are 'shocked'... Really? 

Surely we all understand things can change in an instant... 

Andy 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

The money saved on not going abroad will easily cover the cost of Berghaus or similar jacket, waterproof trousers and good footwear.  

I have just had an email from a menswear company saying they have 10% off of Barbour. 

Unfortunately I have no use for this as Michelle has been doing a grand job on my hair for months now😊

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

We are eating out regularly, and are planning several short breaks in September.  So are doing our bit.

It's a long slog from October to March without some winter sunshine.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

We are eating out regularly, and are planning several short breaks in September.  So are doing our bit.

It's a long slog from October to March without some winter sunshine.

Yes, but on the other hand, death tends to be rather permanent and what they are calling ‘long-haul Covid’ doesn’t sound a heap of fun.

We south coast dwellers are very lucky and tend to have some good winter days - some with noticeable warmth for a few hours, some sparkling crisp and cold.  Not the same as the Canaries or Caribbean but ...

We are keeping an eye on the Channel Islands.  Hopefully decent weather, a French feel and relatively easy travel.  They’re still not fully open but it looks hopeful.  Might make a pleasant short winter break?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, but on the other hand, death tends to be rather permanent and what they are calling ‘long-haul Covid’ doesn’t sound a heap of fun.

We south coast dwellers are very lucky and tend to have some good winter days - some with noticeable warmth for a few hours, some sparkling crisp and cold.  Not the same as the Canaries or Caribbean but ...

We are keeping an eye on the Channel Islands.  Hopefully decent weather, a French feel and relatively easy travel.  They’re still not fully open but it looks hopeful.  Might make a pleasant short winter break?

Personally I'm of the opinion that 3 weeks in a private villa in an island that has only had a handful of CV cases is just as safe as the Channel Islands.

I was due to go to Spain early aug but before the final payment due I cancelled it as in my eyes little was improving and the possibility of quarantine. Also hotel and water parks possibly closed. We lost £180 deposit. However as far as the holiday company are concerned we would still have had to go or lose all our money and go into quarantine when we got back. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Yes, probably so

We come back to flights though.  Some people are happy with that thought, others not

Quite happy to go on an aircraft, due to the HEPA filters.  Much safer than being on a bus or a train. 

And we would need to fly to get to the CI anyway.

Edited by wowzz

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

I don't feel sorry for them either.  It was always a big risk that this would happen.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I don't feel sorry for them either.  It was always a big risk that this would happen.

I do feel very sorry for them - whatever the background, it’s a horrible situation to find yourself in.

Probably just my imagination working overtime, but could this be a sly way to promote the British tourist industry at a critical time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do feel very sorry for them - whatever the background, it’s a horrible situation to find yourself in.

Probably just my imagination working overtime, but could this be a sly way to promote the British tourist industry at a critical time?

I think you are just being cynical Harry. After all, it is not just the UK that has introduced travel restrictions to Spain.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I wasn’t actually being cynical.  It would be rather a clever move.

You know Harry, if the government had ignored this, and British tourists were allowed to travel to Spain and back during a second spike with no restrictions, you would be calling them incompetent, not sly and clever. Make your mind up. 😉

Avril 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

You know Harry, if the government had ignored this, and British tourists were allowed to travel to Spain and back during a second spike with no restrictions, you would be calling them incompetent, not sly and clever. Make your mind up. 😉

Avril 

I'm trying to be fair to them, Avril - it's difficult, but I have an inbuilt belief in justice and fairness.  Now, if you ask me about the changes they're planning to make which would invalidate the rule of law and the separation of powers in the UK.......

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I'm trying to be fair to them, Avril - it's difficult, but I have an inbuilt belief in justice and fairness.  Now, if you ask me about the changes they're planning to make which would invalidate the rule of law and the separation of powers in the UK.......

Fair to whom?  There’s not much about the coronavirus pandemic that has anything to do with fairness and justice; your government, along with others, reacted quickly to a situation and took measures to protect public safety  At least that’s my interpretation. I was reading on the BBC this morning about some people and their holiday plans; as a Canadian I find it amazing and irresponsible that the UK government even ‘permitted’ citizens to leave the country for Spain (yes, a know that’s hindsight).

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 4