March cruise refund

I am just wondering is there many other people waiting for cruise refunds?

I was due to go on a cruise at the beginning of April and it was cancelled by RC at the end of March. We requested a refund straight away and were told that was ok and it would be processed right away. We still do not have it and every time I call RC they tell me they don't know and there is nothing they can do for me. Just keep waiting, it should be in soon. 

We are looking to book a cruise for the end of next year and can't do so until we get the refund from RC, we have already missed out on a lot of good deals. It's getting very frustrating now especially as it is almost €8000 we are waiting for. I have heard of people getting refunds for cruises already that were meant to sail in June but got cancelled. Not sure why they got theirs before we did, surely it goes in a queue format?

I just want to know is there anyone else waiting for money from as far back as this or is it just me? 

My parents only got a partial refund for their cancelled April 2020 cruise and later found out that the wait for the remainder was because the original credit card had expired. Once that was straightened out they had it within 48 hours. Took weeks to figure out the error though and it took a deeper digging Royal rep to figure it out. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bosch2424 said:

Welcome to CC.

Do a title search for refunds and you'll find lots of threads/posts. The next time you call, escalate as much as possible. Even when you get your refund, don't worry about missing a deal, there's one around every corner - don't book anything till well after cruising resumes.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 10:23 AM, Bosch2424 said:

I was due to go on a cruise at the beginning of April and it was cancelled by RC at the end of March. We requested a refund straight away and were told that was ok and it would be processed right away. We still do not have it and every time I call RC they tell me they don't know and there is nothing they can do for me. Just keep waiting, it should be in soon. 

We are looking to book a cruise for the end of next year and can't do so until we get the refund from RC, we have already missed out on a lot of good deals. It's getting very frustrating now especially as it is almost €8000 we are waiting for. I have heard of people getting refunds for cruises already that were meant to sail in June but got cancelled. Not sure why they got theirs before we did, surely it goes in a queue format?

I just want to know is there anyone else waiting for money from as far back as this or is it just me? 

Still waiting for my refund of my March 7 cruise.

The answer is you will get it when they decided to give it. The amount of refunds are also based on the amount of deposits coming in as well. RCL and other cruise lines are cash strapped. I don't believe there is any information in the contracts for the amount of time it takes to send refunds due to this. 

I am so sorry to hear that folks are still waiting on cruise refunds.   Makes me feel guilty that all 5 of my cancelled were refunded within 2 to 3 weeks.    I sure hope RCL makes right on everyone that is still waiting especially those from March/April.    That is unacceptable.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Do a title search for refunds and you'll find lots of threads/posts. The next time you call, escalate as much as possible. Even when you get your refund, don't worry about missing a deal, there's one around every corner - don't book anything till well after cruising resumes.

Thank you  for your advice . I looked up the definition of escalate and it means in a more intense manner .   My TA has called RCG three times with no results.  She told me I have no options except waiting . 

Asking if travel insurance is refunded , also .  Do we need to contact insurance company directly ? It is very frustrating to be at their mercy .

thank you . 

3 hours ago, NHProud said:

My TA has called RCG three times with no results.

Some have reported being able to talk to RCI directly on refund issues - try to go around your TA and ask for a supervisor when you talk to RCI.

Insurance can be moved to another sailing - again, ask about this when you talk to RCI. The TA may not be giving you all the info.

10 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some have reported being able to talk to RCI directly on refund issues - try to go around your TA and ask for a supervisor when you talk to RCI.

Insurance can be moved to another sailing - again, ask about this when you talk to RCI. The TA may not be giving you all the info.

Thank you for prompt response and for your good advice .  I will call RCG .  Good news for ONE CRUISER !  Perhaps , refunds are being issued more quickly for their customers who give them more business.  

Appreciate your reply . Thank You. 

On 8/5/2020 at 3:54 AM, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

Yes I done a quick title search. Couldn't find anything directly about Royal Caribbean. I have tried everything at this stage. I am not the type to ring up and ask for managers and cause a fuss. But this is a joke. We were told 45 days and its now well past that. 

21 hours ago, bigrednole said:

The answer is you will get it when they decided to give it. The amount of refunds are also based on the amount of deposits coming in as well. RCL and other cruise lines are cash strapped. I don't believe there is any information in the contracts for the amount of time it takes to send refunds due to this. 

That is fair enough. But we won't be putting down another deposit until we get the money back. We were told it would take 45 days maximum to get the money back, we are now over on about 90 working days. If they weren't going to do it in the 45 days, they never should have said it. Fair enough if it takes 50 days but not 90+.

14 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Understand, I was right there with you for a self-canceled cruise. Some of the refunds came back in a week, others 30 days, and the final one took 100. It kinda sucks, but you have to roll with the punches.

That's frustrating. Our cruise was cancelled by RC. We are still trying to get a refund on our flights also, Ryanair are refusing to give us a refund, I hate them. Haha. 

I've learned over the years on CC that asking a predominately North American audience how to fix a problem that originates in the U.K. or Europe generates a wealth of misinformation and confusion. Given that the OP is located in Ireland, and presumably used an Irish TA to book their cruise, U.S.-centric advice, no matter how well-intentioned, is largely irrelevant.

11 hours ago, Biker19 said:

It's not about making a fuss, but getting to someone that has authority to do things front line CARS can't. 

You give great advice . Thank you for that .  These are hard times and many industries are suffering however I never would have imagined an industry could get away with withholding funds owed to their customers for > 115 days .  If we owed them money , RCG would have canceled our cruises ,  for certain . They would not  have accepted , please , be patient you’ll get your money soon.  

Having nothing better to do , I started looking at ways to respond :  

File a complaint with BBB 

Small claims court if you live near Miami 

File a complaint with the Fla. Attorney General’s office ( on-line form) 

Send a registered , certified letter demanding payment .

i’m not owed enough to resort to such drastic measures . I will call the higher ups . What is CARS ?  Be patient is the mantra. 

Edited by NHProud

Our March 21 cruise was cancelled.   My TA was given the runaround in phone calls over  several months.  I tried to deal with RCCL myself, but they told me that my TA had to contact them.  I paid for the deposits on the two cabins, and my son-in-law paid for everything else.  Drink and dining packages were refunded in June.  Several other amounts were refunded that didn't match specific charges, so no way to trace them.

A few days ago I finally received the refund for the deposits, which I had paid when I made the reservations.  That day my son-in-law got a refund of two amounts that totaled a couple hundred dollars, but he is still owed almost $2,500.  Has anyone had any success with emailing with a rundown of the charges and the refunds so far, plus amount still due?