Steakhouse & Tea Time

It has been quite a long time since we have cruised on Royal. (Been going between two other lines.) Milwaukee Eight, you are not a fan of Chops, right? Worth trying though? I realize some will say 'yes' and others 'no.'

Sometimes a TA will offer a complimentary bottle delivered to your cabin.  If this is the case, you can ask them to have it delivered to the MDR instead.  You can then drink it at any specialty restaurant as well as the MDR.  You can also bring a glass of wine from your cabin into Chops.  IIRC, Chops wine list is not that great as well as pricey.  

There is no designated tea time but in the afternoon at the Windjammer you can find scones, pastries, finger sandwiches as well as tea bags.  You can have it there or bring to your cabin or other venue. 

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

It has been quite a long time since we have cruised on Royal. (Been going between two other lines.) Milwaukee Eight, you are not a fan of Chops, right? Worth trying though? I realize some will say 'yes' and others 'no.'

We are not but only because we cook great steaks at home on the grill. 

BEB10925-4949-478B-BC1F-2BE23604FB18.jpeg

CA5F04BD-5E80-421C-9E45-7BC399C06044.jpeg

CE81AE15-9D75-4B40-B024-73D764612B2D.jpeg

18F7402B-3DFB-4453-9F68-E3DF623B6B85.jpeg

1EA91A3A-3D7A-4AC7-B8AE-B2F5548D9F44.jpeg

77F269FC-CCDF-459E-BFFA-FE402DE250FE.jpeg

07917659-4EAE-427D-861F-D23BF93A1597.jpeg

62201731-4EB1-49C8-9E25-01F452AF0790.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Sometimes a TA will offer a complimentary bottle delivered to your cabin.  If this is the case, you can ask them to have it delivered to the MDR instead.  You can then drink it at any specialty restaurant as well as the MDR.  You can also bring a glass of wine from your cabin into Chops.  IIRC, Chops wine list is not that great as well as pricey.  

There is no designated tea time but in the afternoon at the Windjammer you can find scones, pastries, finger sandwiches as well as tea bags.  You can have it there or bring to your cabin or other venue. 

If a TA sends it to your cabin, you get charged like $13 corkage fee to bring it to the MDR, yes have it delivered to Mdr not your cabin unless you drink in your cabin. I like wine with dinner.

I've had mixed results in chops. Last time I got the surf and turf. The steak fine, but the lobster mush. The lobster in the MDR is better it was cooked so bad. I was with a group and let it go. If just me and someone else I would have sent it back. It was terrible lobster. 

44 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Good to know about the Scones, thank you. 

Well, don't count on the scones. It is called "Afternoon Snacks" in the Windjammer buffet (depends on your ship) and you will find different offerings each day such as tacos, hamburgers, cakes and sweets, etc. It is definitely not a proper tea service, just so you know.

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If a TA sends it to your cabin, you get charged like $13 corkage fee to bring it to the MDR, yes have it delivered to Mdr not your cabin unless you drink in your cabin. I like wine with dinner.

I've had mixed results in chops. Last time I got the surf and turf. The steak fine, but the lobster mush. The lobster in the MDR is better it was cooked so bad. I was with a group and let it go. If just me and someone else I would have sent it back. It was terrible lobster. 

Many many cruises on Royal and never had a corkage fee or heard of anyone else getting hit. 

1 hour ago, cellfree said:

Yikes Milwaukee Eight, not bad, not bad at all!

And Langley Cruisers, good to know not to plan on Scones, but my hopes are now dashed, ha. 

Maybe not on every ship or every day but I've seen scones and things that can be considered tea items not just burgers, tacos and fries.  We don't know what is going to be offered post pandemic.  If you are looking for a Cunard or Holland America afternoon tea experience, RCI is not the cruise line, but as I mentioned, you can create your own experience with the things that are offered.  I love the British high tea and wish RCI offered it. 

56 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Well I got hit and it was a bottle of rcl wine

Yes it's hit or miss, sometimes they get you, sometimes not.  I hope they get rid of this when cruising restarts.  You can always go back to your room to refill your glass and bring it back to the dining room so I don't know what the big deal is or what difference it makes.  But if they are looking for more revenue when cruising starts again they might enforce the corkage fee. ☹️

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Well I got hit and it was a bottle of rcl wine

It's $15.

28 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It's $15.

It's gone up then since I got hit. After that I never took another bottle to the mdr. I wouldn't have paid it that time if my roommate didnt push me into sharing it at dinner. Once was enough. Now I don't do it. 

But thanks for the warning it's even more now. Now I'd say open it in your room and pour a glass and walk in with the glass of wine. 

Edited by firefly333