Where should room service plates be left ?

VentureMan_2000

For all those trying to disparage Carnival or talk about alledged "upscale" lines and their policies, if you think about it, leaving them in the hall is less intrusive for the guest and speeds up the retrieval process.

After I've eaten the room service, I would most likely place the tray to side somewhere. It's only a few steps more to place the tray outside the door.  Why go through the process of calling,  then waiting, then having to have another staff member come inside the cabin when I may want to nap or do something else. When I'm done eating, I'm done with the whole process.

I've never had my way blocked by a tray in any corridor and most are picked up promptly. If one is so appalled to know that someone else has eaten in their cabin, then ask yourselves why?

It's hilarious how some regular everyday day people will step a foot onto a cruise ship and suddenly they are lord and lady of the manor.

48 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

For all those trying to disparage Carnival or talk about alledged "upscale" lines and their policies, if you think about it, leaving them in the hall is less intrusive for the guest and speeds up the retrieval process.

After I've eaten the room service, I would most likely place the tray to side somewhere. It's only a few steps more to place the tray outside the door.  Why go through the process of calling,  then waiting, then having to have another staff member come inside the cabin when I may want to nap or do something else. When I'm done eating, I'm done with the whole process.

I've never had my way blocked by a tray in any corridor and most are picked up promptly. If one is so appalled to know that someone else has eaten in their cabin, then ask yourselves why?

It's hilarious how some regular everyday day people will step a foot onto a cruise ship and suddenly they are lord and lady of the manor.

Do you realize how absurd your post is?  While making it clear that when you are done with your dirty dishes, you are “...done with the whole process...” so you put your tray outside your door so people using the corridor have to step around it.

OK - you feel that you should not have to call to have your dirty dishes removed or just put up with them. Understandable —— but to mock others for not wanting to deal with your dirty dishes “...suddenly they are lord and lady of the manor.”, when you, your ladyship feel no hesitation about making  them deal with those dirty dishes.

Try looking in a mirror.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 1

Ok, so I will jump into the fray and get fried.   I think leaving dishes in the corridor is simply low class and like putting out a cigarette on the floor.  I believe it is also a technical violation of SOLAS since corridors should remain unobstructed with some exceptions.  I would add that if you have ever been on a ship in rough seas and find yourself stepping over puddles, dishes, and garbage then you might understand the SOLAS issue.  Keep in mind that in a serious emergency much of the corridor lighting might not be working (or it could be obscured with smoke) and tripping over dirty dishes might not make for a good day.  And if you think this can never happen you could talk to my wife's cousin who has a passenger on the ill-fated Viking Sky cruise off of Norway.  On that ship, anything that was not secured was flying all over the ship.

Hank

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

It is a special danger to other passengers using wheel chairs, scooters or even a cane.   Walking down the narrow hallways and maneuvering around trays and dishes and making room for on coming passengers can be challenging.  That danger is magnified in rolling seas where is can be necessary to hold on to the railing with your free hand.

Having room service dishes picked up from the cabin is both common sense and considerate.  It is not putting on airs.

Edited by capriccio

10 minutes ago, capriccio said:

It is a special danger to other passengers using wheel chairs, scooters or even a cane.   Walking down the narrow hallways and maneuvering around trays and dishes and making room for on coming passengers can be challenging.  That danger is magnified in rolling seas where is can be necessary to hold on to the railing with your free hand.

Having room service dishes picked up from the cabin is both common sense and considerate.  It is not putting on airs.

There are multiple ways of handling this issue and one way is not better than the other. Whatever method surely doesn't indicate any measure of quality. 

I've never been in a hallway so narrow as to be hindered by a small try against the wall that's there for a few minutes. From an efficiency standpoint, an employee can just push around a cart picking up the trays as they see them. That 's better and faster than knocking on doors, greeting, getting the tray, etc. 

From what I've seen, hallways are more blocked by the carts used by the room stewards as they clean the rooms twice a day.

3 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

There are multiple ways of handling this issue and one way is not better than the other. Maybe for you but there is definitely one way of 'handling this issue' that is better for those in wheelchairs, on scooters, or using canes and it is not leaving trays and dishes in the hall!

Whatever method surely doesn't indicate any measure of quality. Never said or even implied that but in response to this comment I would argue that it does measure the concern of the cruise line for its passengers.

Response above in red.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I think leaving dishes in the corridor is simply low class and like putting out a cigarette on the floor.

I'll jump in to that fryer with you.  I agree.  I find it disgusting to see dirty plates with partially eaten food laying on the floor in hallways.  Thankfully most cruise lines try to maintain a certain level of decency and ask passengers to call room service to retrieve the tray from their rooms.  I've seen it noted on little cards that come with the tray, or spoken by the person delivering the tray.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Thankfully most cruise lines try to maintain a certain level of decency and ask passengers to call room service to retrieve the tray from their rooms.  I've seen it noted on little cards that come with the tray, or spoken by the person delivering the tray.

That is my general recollection  - I haven’t sailed Carnival for over 15 years.

5 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

Whatever method surely doesn't indicate any measure of quality. 

I disagree. Encouraging passengers to leave nasty, soiled food trays full of smelly food scraps and dirty napkins on the freakin’ floor in a hallway most certainly is a measure of quality. This is typical Carnival “quality” and one of the many reasons I don’t cruise that line anymore. 

My signature indicates that I have been a Carnival Cruise Line guest.  On each of the ships, I have ordered Room Service.  Usually, more than once.  Never was there any indication that I ought to place my tray in the corridor outside my stateroom when I was finished!

It is common good sense not to place a tray of dirty dishes and uneaten food in the hallway.  

However, "good common sense" seems to be in very short supply at this time.  

Our breakfast room service tray is handled by the cabin steward when he cleans the cabin.  If we do another meal later in the day, we call room service order coffee and have the person pick up our old tray... we tip them well.  Works out fine. 

I guess I'll just have to continue to be a disgusting low quality individual with no common sense, but I will continue to place my tray outside of my cabin and or hotel room as requested.

At least the boards are back to shaming people and calling people names. Glad to see we're coming back to normal. 😘

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I guess I'll just have to continue to be a disgusting low quality individual with no common sense, but I will continue to place my tray outside of my cabin and or hotel room as requested.

At least the boards are back to shaming people and calling people names. Glad to see we're coming back to normal. 😘

Isn't it amazing how the placement of a food tray determines ones personal quality and station in life. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Isn't it amazing how the placement of a food tray determines ones personal quality and station in life. 

Not really — however, in this context the placement of the used food tray does indicate one’s view that his/her convenience does outrank everyone else’s.

• Like 2