Where should room service plates be left ?

VentureMan_2000

Hallway with a napkin covering any food. It isn't the stewards job to collect the plates so you're adding extra work on them by leaving them in the room. That may change after the restart but for now that's how they want it.

• Like 2

People find it hard to believe but it is the room service department staff's duty to go back after peak service times and roam the hallways retrieving the crockery, glasses, cutlery and trays that they delivered. We always cover and place the trays in the hallway as per Carnival's request.

2 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

As with most hotels, they ask you to place them in the hallway and call room service to notify that you are finished.

Almost. A first class hotel will request you phone room service to have your tray or table picked up. Placing the items in the hallway is not the job of a guest in a first class hotel. Some guests may prefer to do this, e.g. they're ready to go to bed and don't wish to wait. 

It depends on the cruise line. This seems to have been moved from the CCL board, and they seem to want them left in the hall. Most lines, especially the upscale and luxury lines want them left in the cabin.

• Like 8

41 minutes ago, zqvol said:

It depends on the cruise line. This seems to have been moved from the CCL board, and they seem to want them left in the hall. Most lines, especially the upscale and luxury lines want them left in the cabin.

^^^^ This. I detest seeing trays all over the hallways, making it more difficult to pass by other cruisers, and forcing wheelchair or ECV users to weave back and forth as they try to navigate past them. We leave them in our stateroom and call to have them picked up.

I don't care about hotels - their corridors are usually much wider.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

You would think I'd know the answer to my question, but I have never ordered room service during any of my 4 cruises.

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

We have never ordered room service in over 30 cruises.

Same here.  30+ cruises and have never ordered room service.  

This "non-viral" thread is a nice change of pace!!  👍

• Like 1

Carnival wants you to leave your room service trays et al in the hallway, but they take too long to pick them up.  Have seen trays sit for hours before being removed.  They need to do better or have a different policy.  Just my opinion.

Room service items need to remain within one stateroom.  It is the job of either the stateroom steward or the room service steward to retrieve those items.  To place those items in the hallway outside the stateroom is a safety hazard.  

Sometimes, a placard on the room service tray requests that the guest call Room Service to retrieve the items.  I'd bet the percentage of those doing so is very low.    

• Like 1

If you leave them in the hall you raise the risk of the tray and contents being hit by a scooter because the halls are so narrow. My wife tried to avoid them but, at times, it was impossible. So it was my job to go back and straighten up the mess.

I have only ever cruised on Oceania, and we have done 12 cruises with them. I have never seen a room service tray in the hallway on any cruise! The rare time we order room service, the tray stays in our room.

The only time I have EVER seen a room service tray on the floor outside a room was at Toronto's Fairmount Royal York Hotel, and I was shocked. It looked disgusting, and kind of turned my stomach. Who wants to look at other peoples' mess???

This is what we do on Princess.. room service leave in cabin.. if we bring food down from the Buffet we take the plates etc back to the buffet .....

But that is us..... 

and I agreed tray in the corridors are a safety hazard.... and it looks messy..

It is the same thing with ones cabin... some people leave like a bomb has hit it...

The way we look at it,  is it your apartment for a couple weeks and thus treat it like such..

Cheers Don

14 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

I think they shall be left in the room but what I think doesn't matter! Do what the cruiseline tell you to do! 

This is what we do. In those rare instances where we use room service (usually a continental breakfast when we have an early excursion) we ask what to do with the tray. I will frequently go to the buffet in the morning to bring DW breakfast in bed and I return those dishes to the buffet when she is done. I have seen trays in the hall but rarely do I see them there for long and I have seen trays on the three lines we've been on.

12 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

This obviously moved from the CCL board where leaving it in the narrow hall is encouraged by that particular line. 

Most other lines ask you to call for room service to come pick up the tray from your room, and not to place it in the hall. 

What astonishes me is that Carnival would actually tell its passengers to leave trays in the hall!  What an obstacle course for mobility device users!  I remember a thread where somebody advocated that a ship provide a room or alcove where passengers could leave trays.  Just imagine the ship's USPHS score when an inspector gets one look at that.

• Like 1