Will Royal follow soon?

On 8/11/2020 at 5:50 PM, Ashland said:

I've done a L/S for my March & May 2021 RCI cruises...still hoping for my July 30, 2021 X cruise.

Wonder if my Dec. 11, 2021 cruise on the Enchantment will be in jeopardy of being cancelled?  

On 8/11/2020 at 10:47 AM, ATC cruiser said:

Depends on your definition of the word soon. Since final payment for December cruises would be sometime in September. My prediction is September 30th.

I agree.  Their policy seems to be to maintain they are sailing on a month by month basis so that people who have final payments due will either make them or cancel.  If customers cancel while Royal is still--according to the news releases--sailing, Royal keeps the downpayment.  If customers make the final payment, they can postpone having to do anything about that money until later. They are definitely, IMO, playing their customers for everything they can squeeze out of them. It's a policy I don't like, and we'll start looking for a line that is, at least, up front about its plans.  Being diamond plus doesn't mean anything when the company has policies like these.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 12:33 PM, MaritimeR&R said:

"With the continuation of travel and port restrictions due to global health concerns, Holland America Line is extending its pause of cruise operations and cancelling departures on all ships through Dec. 15, 2020." 

Yes I am sure all lines want to open up before Christmas but nobody knows , we canceled our November cruise on another line and hopefully will be able to do our April cruise of sister line Celebrity. 

Had 15 cruises in 2020 and 10 cancelled so far.  But the one in Nov and two in Dec 20 are probably going to be cancelled.  I've got a mixture of 125% FCC and full refunds.  I don't know how RCI does their accounting but all the cruises, and especially the ones with  full refund, have been refunded in as many as five different disbursements for one cruise.  No rhyme or reason as to the amounts and timeline.  But they do pay at some point.  No RCI emails to let me know any refunds or amounts and for what cruise.  I had to call and get a detailed accounting via phone call.  Having some with a Travel Agent and some with RCI directly offered some challenges.  But hoping for the 3 cruise in Jan and Feb 21 will be a go.  The ones I have scheduled in Mar, Apr and May are possible I hope!

On 8/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, Pstreet12 said:

I agree.  Their policy seems to be to maintain they are sailing on a month by month basis so that people who have final payments due will either make them or cancel.  If customers cancel while Royal is still--according to the news releases--sailing, Royal keeps the downpayment.  If customers make the final payment, they can postpone having to do anything about that money until later. They are definitely, IMO, playing their customers for everything they can squeeze out of them. It's a policy I don't like, and we'll start looking for a line that is, at least, up front about its plans.  Being diamond plus doesn't mean anything when the company has policies like these.

It's  the same for Carnival and NCL also. Take the money ( interest free loan) and give FCC that very well won't cover the cost of a newly booked cruise once they begin.

Same as everybody getting excited about the amount of OBC, it's not free money. It will be passéd on to the consumer, more than likely again through higher cruise fares.

The consumer "always" pays in the end.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:10 AM, Pstreet12 said:

Everyone can cancel at anytime under cruise with confidence. 

32 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

It's  the same for Carnival and NCL also. Take the money ( interest free loan) and give FCC that very well won't cover the cost of a newly booked cruise once they begin.

Same as everybody getting excited about the amount of OBC, it's not free money. It will be passéd on to the consumer, more than likely again through higher cruise fares.

The consumer "always" pays in the end.

That's what they haven't been able to see since day one. These are the same people who thought that cruising would resume in May. Oh but they were just being optimistic. Now they are facing  the harsh reality and blaming the cruise line.   

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 1:33 PM, MaritimeR&R said:

"With the continuation of travel and port restrictions due to global health concerns, Holland America Line is extending its pause of cruise operations and cancelling departures on all ships through Dec. 15, 2020." 

Yes they will.  I think its sort of common sense at this point.  

On 8/12/2020 at 11:03 PM, Dennis#1 said:

Wonder if my Dec. 11, 2021 cruise on the Enchantment will be in jeopardy of being cancelled?  

If your dec 2021 cruise is cancelled it wont be because of COVID it will be because they are bankrupt.

On 8/11/2020 at 12:28 PM, Crazy planning mom said:

April is a long way off.  Still optimistic for spring/summer 2021. 

Me, too.

I have 2 cruises booked with Princess for next Spring, but I may pay them off.  Princess offers a double amount FCC for any amount paid if they cancel a cruise.  So, I'm thinking about that.............................

Right now I'm sitting on $1,000 in deposits for these cruises that I can get refunded before final payment in January 2021.  

I moved all my RCCL cruises to Fall 2021 and Spring 2022.  I paid them all in full on a new Chase Sapphire card to get 68,000 bonus + regular + double for travel purchases points.

I also paid one Princess cruise in November 2021 in full because they offered 10% off and an obc of $200.

I believe in supporting my favorite businesses:  double tipping Instacart delivery people, leaving my cruises booked, giving the musician outside the local grocery store a tip (because he obviously needed it, and his music was great!). 

I believe in supporting my "village".

Edited by pcur
  • Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 11:03 PM, Dennis#1 said:

I’m on this cruise too.  Hope we sail.

correction- I’m booked in 2020. Lol

Edited by sellwingri