Carnival Scaled Back Too Much

Je Souhaite

6 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

When I first started with Princess, they allowed me to book a discounted rate which was the equivalent of the past guest rate. I still boarded with a blue card though and without perks. It was called a VIP rate (vacation interchange or something similar). Proof of my past guest status neeed to be faxed in. From Princess, I can also board as the first tier on HAL.

These entry level tiers are worthless though and don’t offer any benefits.

Thanks for the reply.  If I decide to try Princess or HAL I will ask if they will honor any connection with Carnival.  Stay safe and healthy.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, pe4all said:

I would love to know when they did that.   Was it a recent (as recent can be now) thing?  Did you ask, or did they automatically do that?  I would try Princess if they matched my status on Carnival.  Princess sails out of FLL, which Carnival no longer does for now.  So much easier for me than having to get to Miami!

No, it was not recent, that one was back in 2006.

We did not ask, it just happened...although we used a local travel agent to set it up for us...so maybe she asked.

On 8/18/2020 at 2:28 PM, drsel said:
On 8/18/2020 at 2:05 PM, ARcruisin2 said:

Will Carnival or Princess match a high status on Costa

I  was imagining something like them setting a comparative value for a sea day for each brand under their umbrella.

Example: 1 day on Carnival 1pt, Princess 2pts, HAL 3pts, Cunard 4pts... Costa Xpts, Aida Xpts.

I know it's been talked about before on these boards... It's just a suggestion that it seems they could implement to give incentive to stick with their corporate group overall.  Of course it would require thinking outside of the box and working together across their brands.... hopefully they are doing some of that during this downtime.

4 minutes ago, ARcruisin2 said:

I  was imagining something like them setting a comparative value for a sea day for each brand under their umbrella.

Example: 1 day on Carnival 1pt, Princess 2pts, HAL 3pts, Cunard 4pts... Costa Xpts, Aida Xpts.

I know it's been talked about before on these boards... It's just a suggestion that it seems they could implement to give incentive to stick with their corporate group overall.  Of course it would require thinking outside of the box and working together across their brands.... hopefully they are doing some of that during this downtime.

Or maybe like rcl, you can just call celebrity and transfer your loyalty level. 1 pt for solo cabin, or 2 or more in cabin, 2 pts for solo in regular cabin, 3 loyalty pts for solo in suite or 2 pts for a couple. Easier to rack up loyalty pts. 

And msc honors some kind of loyalty level on rcl I've read, though never done msc. But acts as a incentive to book celebrity or msc. 

On 8/15/2020 at 3:42 PM, Je Souhaite said:

When cruising returns next year, people are going to decide which line has the best bang for their buck.

that used to go to Carnival.  They had the best entertainment, fun, food, etc.

now to show what they used to be they have to have Journey cruises.  All the things that used to be included.

now there’s more things excluded than included.  And they are going to want their customers to return.  Well the different lines are going to have incentives.  I WISH Carnival rolls out their journey cruises to every ship, every week, to EVERY passenger.

What's excluded?  I have always thought that other lines did more nickle & diming you than Carnival.  I am curious as to what was previously included that isn't now?  And, how far back are we going?  We started cruising in 2011. 

5 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

What's excluded?  I have always thought that other lines did more nickle & diming you than Carnival.  I am curious as to what was previously included that isn't now?  And, how far back are we going?  We started cruising in 2011. 

You started cruising with Carnival just as I stopped. It was a very different product in previous years.

1 minute ago, TerReuv said:

Read back. Someone cited mints on the bed, made it feel more luxurious. Now they ask do you want morning of night cabin cleaning.. used to be automatic twice a day, though I usually ask for just once. I'm not messy and rather not have the intrusion.

I agree other lines have more pay for restaurants. More free food choices on ccl almost all of which I like. 

I think I read no tablecloths in Mdr now.. i guess i didnt notice my last cruise. 

Minor stuff to me, I'd rather have guys burgers and bbq. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Read back. Someone cited mints on the bed, made it feel more luxurious. Now they ask do you want morning of night cabin cleaning.. used to be automatic twice a day, though I usually ask for just once. I'm not messy and rather not have the intrusion.

I agree other lines have more pay for restaurants. More free food choices on ccl almost all of which I like. 

I think I read no tablecloths in Mdr now.. i guess i didnt notice my last cruise. 

Minor stuff to me, I'd rather have guys burgers and bbq. 

They had the mints when we first cruised and yes, I missed it, but didn't really like that chocolate that much.  We always get both services for the room (ask for it) and have never had an issue getting both. 

I love the fact that even the restaurants that are pay at night, have free lunch.  I think Carnival offers more free options than others.

I don't care at all about the tablecloths in the MDR.  They are there for elegant night and the table tops are really nice for regular nights.  I can't imagine people that stop cruising one line because of tablecloths.  

Agreed about Guys & BBQ.  Johnny Rockets costs on RCL.  No charge for regular room service, but the option of other things if you wish to pay.  

I really do miss my Carnival pen though!  LOL

59 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

You started cruising with Carnival just as I stopped. It was a very different product in previous years.

What cruise line isn't a very different product than years ago?  I have researched a lot of lines and priced a lot.  From what I can tell, Carnival has be best prices and I like everything I get from Carnival for that price.  Plus, more convenient ports for me.  All I know is that everytime I check on RCL compared to CCL, RCL is easily $1K more for two people in a balcony (and that is in October).

We drive to port from Atlanta and Carnival has Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans & Charleston.  More choices.  I feel that we get our money's worth from Carnival.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

They had the mints when we first cruised and yes, I missed it, but didn't really like that chocolate that much.  We always get both services for the room (ask for it) and have never had an issue getting both. 

I love the fact that even the restaurants that are pay at night, have free lunch.  I think Carnival offers more free options than others.

I don't care at all about the tablecloths in the MDR.  They are there for elegant night and the table tops are really nice for regular nights.  I can't imagine people that stop cruising one line because of tablecloths.  

Agreed about Guys & BBQ.  Johnny Rockets costs on RCL.  No charge for regular room service, but the option of other things if you wish to pay.  

I really do miss my Carnival pen though!  LOL

What cruise line isn't a very different product than years ago?  I have researched a lot of lines and priced a lot.  From what I can tell, Carnival has be best prices and I like everything I get from Carnival for that price.  Plus, more convenient ports for me.  All I know is that everytime I check on RCL compared to CCL, RCL is easily $1K more for two people in a balcony (and that is in October).

We drive to port from Atlanta and Carnival has Jacksonville, Port Canaveral, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Mobile, New Orleans & Charleston.  More choices.  I feel that we get our money's worth from Carnival.

I’m glad you like Carnival. If they provide the experience you are looking for, you should stick with them. 

1 hour ago, TerReuv said:

In addition to things already mentioned by others, as late as 2011 all room service 24/7 was included in fares.  When they started charging for specific items added to the menu they simultaneously deleted quite a few items from the "included" choices.  I specifically remember shrimp salad, a steak sandwich, and lox and bagels.

Scaled back items stocked at bars; no more heavy cream.  A Brandy Alexander made with half and half is a pitiful, watery, excuse for a drink.

Seafood restaurant was above the buffet, and included in fares.  Replaced by for charge Seafood Shack.

Changed MDR menu to American Table.  Lost many standard specialty items such as Beef Wellington, and offered in exchange pretty mundane items, such as fried chicken, and eliminated tablecloths except on elegant nights.

There's more but those cutback came to mind immediately.

Let's not forget that Carnival started scaling back prior to the outbreak. Remember the infamous "45 Day" letters that we used to send for "complementary stuff" while cruising. Those days a long gone.  

Carnival still remains the "best" bargain to cruise the mighty seas. They continue to provide the best values in the industry and that's why we keep coming back year after year.  

CCC ..... Carnival Cruising Continues!!!

54 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

I don't care at all about the tablecloths in the MDR.  They are there 

Johnny Rockets is free for breakfast on bigger ships. Really good hash browns. Costs for lunch on all ships.

Rcl cheaper for me right now. I think once these $600 obc get used up prices might come down. I saw msc cancelled a cruise .. stating lack of bookings for one reason. I booked 1 ccl  5 rcl, just because rcl was cheaper right now. Should have booked further out on ccl before prices went up so much. And I get double loyalty pts on rcl as a solo. Price wise rcl wins right now out of Galveston. Rcl perks also include free drinks at night if I want them. 3 loaded to my card I can order with dinner. 

Price used to be cheaper on carnival. I think it will be again. Expecting price to drop on ccl booked cruise.

I dont remember a shrimp salad mentioned above. Sounds good. Dont eat beef Wellington so np on that one. Though having fried chicken every night to me was going too far. I often eat all meals in buffet where I can read a book and dont feel rushed to eat so someone else can have my table. 

I have more days on ccl than rcl, due to price used to be cheaper. I try and vary the 2 lines so I dont get bored with one.

7 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Let's not forget that Carnival started scaling back prior to the outbreak. Remember the infamous "45 Day" letters that we used to send for "complementary stuff" while cruising. Those days a long gone.  

Carnival still remains the "best" bargain to cruise the mighty seas. They continue to provide the best values in the industry and that's why we keep coming back year after year.  

CCC ..... Carnival Cruising Continues!!!

I've never sent in 45 day letter. Felt like begging to me. Goes against my personality.

Desserts on ccl not as good. Icing tastes like lard now and I dont like hard cookies ccl has. Dont know rcl will still have the soft, I hope so. Some things I like on both. That's why I alternate.

8 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I've never sent in 45 day letter. Felt like begging to me. Goes against my personality.

Desserts on ccl not as good. Icing tastes like lard now and I dont like hard cookies ccl has. Dont know rcl will still have the soft, I hope so. Some things I like on both. That's why I alternate.

Let me clarify. I never used a travel agent to book our cruises. We had a neighbor once that was a Cruise travel agent. She actually told us about the "45 Day" letters and encouraged us to always write them following our adventures. She said Carnival actually liked when customers gave positive feedback and did not mind rewarding customer loyalty.   

12 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Johnny Rockets is free for breakfast on bigger ships. Really good hash browns. Costs for lunch on all ships.

Rcl cheaper for me right now. I think once these $600 obc get used up prices might come down. I saw msc cancelled a cruise .. stating lack of bookings for one reason. I booked 1 ccl  5 rcl, just because rcl was cheaper right now. Should have booked further out on ccl before prices went up so much. And I get double loyalty pts on rcl as a solo. Price wise rcl wins right now out of Galveston. Rcl perks also include free drinks at night if I want them. 3 loaded to my card I can order with dinner. 

Price used to be cheaper on carnival. I think it will be again. Expecting price to drop on ccl booked cruise.

I dont remember a shrimp salad mentioned above. Sounds good. Dont eat beef Wellington so np on that one. Though having fried chicken every night to me was going too far. I often eat all meals in buffet where I can read a book and dont feel rushed to eat so someone else can have my table. 

I have more days on ccl than rcl, due to price used to be cheaper. I try and vary the 2 lines so I dont get bored with one.

Interesting about the pricing on RCL as I before I posted I went in and checked pricing for a balcony (not on Lido as I like) for October cruise in 2021 and it was still over $1K more than the one we have booked on CCL for October 2022.  And, we are in a balcony on the Lido deck.  I've looked several times, but it just seems that they don't have as many in the homeports we like and they're always more expensive.

2 hours ago, TerReuv said:

I think the biggest change is the food quality in the MDR. I realize food is subjective, but the food quality in the MDR used to be equivalent or close to the food quality you currently get in the speciality restaurants. I still think the food in the MDR on Carnival ships is decent, but it definitely is not like it was in the past. Now you have to go to a speciality restaurant or pay an upcharge in the MDR to get higher quality food. 

I think this is another in a long line of cutbacks Carnival has made that allows them to still offer extremely attractive prices. Within the last two years or so, I paid less for balcony cabins on some cruises than I paid on cruises 5-6 years ago. Unfortunately I think all the cutbacks Carnival has made has degraded the overall experience, which is why we now prefer cruising on RCI or Celebrity.  

2 minutes ago, TerReuv said:

Interesting about the pricing on RCL as I before I posted I went in and checked pricing for a balcony (not on Lido as I like) for October cruise in 2021 and it was still over $1K more than the one we have booked on CCL for October 2022.  And, we are in a balcony on the Lido deck.  I've looked several times, but it just seems that they don't have as many in the homeports we like and they're always more expensive.

I downgraded actually paid for most expensive balcony. Could have had a hump, deck 6 still had furthest out humps left. $1007 total for corner aft facing balcony including taxes and fees. I did get 80 something off for diamond balcony discount. Not all its cracked up to be, as all discounts are applied to the balcony discount and sometimes its $0. I was booked on allure, and moved to liberrty and my ta got in first night to get the best pick of the newly opened sailing. 

All my ccl choices last week when I I rebooked ccl were at least $100 more than bookings on rcl. Of course we did a lot of lifting and shifting. Like you can still book a year earlier if it's cheaper and go online to lift and shift and choose your best option, price protected. We did a lot of dancing to get those rcl prices my ta locked in on rcl. 

Idk if you consider 1007 high for corner aft facing balcony with longer balcony, deck 9. They say deck 7 balconies are even bigger but need 3 to book. All the rest are cheaper bookings on rcl. Rcl has a lot of games, cwc, lift and shift, carnival more straight forward and harder to cancel.

I'll do one 7 day vista sept 2011, but its during hurricane season, so I'm still thinking I might get a price drop from ccl. I'll get my guys burgers, bbq and taco salad. 

I think all the lines with the exception of the luxury lines, have made cuts. When cruises were happening, just about once a week someone in the RCL, NCL ,Carnival etc etc would be complaining about nickel and diming customers to death.

What matters to you is if you feel the product is worth the price. For my wife and I, we do. We are pretty much cruise line agnostic and will take a cruise that fits our time frame and itinerary more than we look for price.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2020 at 5:30 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

The experience on Carnival used to be significantly different in the past than it is now. I think your comment directly supports what Carnival has been focusing on more and more... new or novice cruisers. These people won’t know what they are missing because they never experienced it and therefore they don’t have previous experiences to use for comparison. 

Yes, many things have changed on Carnival since we first cruised in 1998 - some changes can be seen as losses, some as gains, and some as just different. At that time, there was fixed dining only, and not  as many dining options (free or upcharge -we had the MDR and the buffet.). No comedy club. No Serenity Deck,. No Dive-in Movies.  Gratuities were paid in cash (a real hassle - remember the envelopes and having to have cash in the right denominations).  Dress codes have relaxed, and "formal night" is now "elegant night." this is a welcome change for many but not for others. Embarkation and debarkation have been streamlined.  Time marches on.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, pe4all said:

Thanks for the reply.  If I decide to try Princess or HAL I will ask if they will honor any connection with Carnival.  Stay safe and healthy.

Who cares? Princess still counts number of cruises or days cruised in the loyalty program. You can get to the top loyalty level on Princess with relatively few days sailed. Just take a bunch of short cruises.