Everything... project Leonardo/Prima class!

8 hours ago, BenCoudon said:

I don't know how many ships MSC has ships on order with Fincanteri.  Do you have the number?

Actually I lost track of their newbuilts... but the new Explora ships are built there. They mix it - some are built by Fincantieri, some by Chantiers de l´Atlantique. Carnival Group has some ships built at Fincantieri (Princess, HAL recently or Queen Anne for Cunard currently). Their new LNG ships are all built by Meyer/Meyer Turku (for AIDA, Carnival Cruises, P&O).

Pre Pandemic MSC was a master to fill in all building slots at the shipyards in France and Italy just to let the other cruise lines no space.

steamboats

42 minutes ago, theaviationbeat said:

Prima is making a visit to the port of Trieste, Italy today. Anyone know why it is stopping here? 

Screen Shot 2022-06-20 at 10.09.58 AM.png

Perhaps just to test docking maneuvers at a typical dock?

EDIT:  Someone on another board said they were going into technical dry dock.

Edited by SpacemanSpiff

yes, and it seems at marinetraffic that she went direct into the dry dock there. sadly no webcam there, found only webcam to the port.

i would not be worry because of the dry dock, some meyer ships went into dry dock too after the first sea trial.

here a other vid from Marghera, at one zoom you see the infinity pool, seems without glass or something:

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Steff79 said:

yes, and it seems at marinetraffic that she went direct into the dry dock there. sadly no webcam there, found only webcam to the port.

i would not be worry because of the dry dock, some meyer ships went into dry dock too after the first sea trial.

According to the CruiseMapper screenshots the destination was listed as Trieste even before she left Venice, so it seems quite possible that this was planned and not a result of anything that happened during the trials.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karaboudjan said:

According to the CruiseMapper screenshots the destination was listed as Trieste even before she left Venice, so it seems quite possible that this was planned and not a result of anything that happened during the trials.

MarineTraffic showed Trieste first too and then Sea Trials and then Trieste again.

4 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

This shot from the video reveals an interesting angle of her bow—definitely unlike any other cruise ship sailing today.

It's not too much unlike the Scarlet Lady and her sisters from Virgin Voyages.  Not surprising since they're also built by Fincantieri...

5 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

This shot from the video reveals an interesting angle of her bow—definitely unlike any other cruise ship sailing today.

These are "inverted bows" (Virgin's ship has this also).  The idea is that without the flare that a traditional bow has, which gives reserve buoyancy when striking a wave (to lift the bow up the wave), this bow is designed to slice through the wave, so less pitching, but wetter on the bow.  The reverse stem gives a longer waterline length, which increases the ship's designed hull speed (the speed at which the power required to push it through the water is most efficient).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

On 6/19/2022 at 11:01 PM, chengkp75 said:

Not sure why you seem to fixate on ballast, as most cruise ships carry a very minimum amount of ballast.  Ballast is only used to counteract a large change in "deadweight" (or the amount of fuel, water, and cargo carried), and unlike a tanker or freighter, the "cargo" on a cruise ship does not vary by a great deal, and it costs money (fuel) to carry salt water around.

I thought almost any ship had ballast. I used to own a small boat, and even that had lead blocks at the bottom (i.e. fixed ballast to stabilize it). Of course cruise ships have huge, and heavy engines at the bottom but there's also a complete apartment building on top.

1 hour ago, AmazedByCruising said:

I thought almost any ship had ballast. I used to own a small boat, and even that had lead blocks at the bottom (i.e. fixed ballast to stabilize it). Of course cruise ships have huge, and heavy engines at the bottom but there's also a complete apartment building on top.

Not really.  Ships are designed to be stable without any ballast.  Your boat had ballast because it didn't weigh anything, and if it was a sailboat, the center of effort (where the wind force acts on the sails) is so high, it needs the weight low to counteract.  When a tanker is full of oil, it has zero ballast, but when empty, it carries ballast to get the ship down in the water so the propeller stays submerged.  Ballast is not really used for stability, but more for submerging the ship to the designed waterline (which then helps the stability by lowering the center of buoyancy).  Cruise ships carry thousands of tons of fresh water (Prima probably around 3000), thousands of tons of fuel (Prima about 6-7,000), and even a couple of thousand tons of waste water, in addition to the weight of the engines and machinery.  Remember, that apartment building is mostly empty space (a cabin is 95% volume of air), so the center of gravity is still low.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 6/20/2022 at 5:17 AM, BenCoudon said:

I don't know how many ships MSC has ships on order with Fincanteri. Do you have the number?

Below ships highlighted in red are not yet delivered.

4 of them are under construction simultaneously now (World Europa and Euribia at St Nazaire, Seascape and Explora 1 at Monfalcone).

Chantiers de l'Atlantique at St Nazaire

Meraviglia Class 1 - Meraviglia 2017

Meraviglia Class 2 - Bellissima 2019

Meraviglia Plus Class 1 - Grandiosa 2019

Meraviglia Plus Class 2 - Virtuosa 2021

Meraviglia Plus Class 3 - Euribia 2023

World Class 1 - Europa 2022

World Class 2 - XXX 2024

World Class 3 - XXX 2025

World Class 4 - XXX 2027

Fincantieri at Monfalcone

Seaside Class 1 - Seaside 2017

Seaside Class 2 - Seaview 2018

Seaside Evo Class 1 - Seashore 2021

Seaside Evo Class 2 - Seascape 2022

Explora Class 1 - 2023

Explora Class 2 - 2024

Explora Class 3 - 2025

Explora Class 4 - 2026

On 6/18/2022 at 12:09 PM, Wendy&Grumpy said:

Ah, I didn't even see the people up there! It doesn't look like a big enough open area to be a sundeck. I'm gonna guess it's a walk through at best. Maybe we'll see soon?! image.thumb.png.63f73333fb7a50b1abdce57b0e9dbedc.png

Could also be a "crew only" area. We had a huge crew area on the top deck aft of the Disney Dream

3 minutes ago, Fairsky84 said:

Prima is weird, but Epic is hideous. 

I have heard similar sentiment before 😀. It does say something when a cruise line decides only one in that class.

Still I think the whole ship building process is very fascinating from start to finish. And some of us enjoy the guessing of what goes where, like currently on the Icon Blocks 😀

4 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Let’s be honest, Prima is a weird looking ship. I’ve made a few changes to give her a more beautiful profile. Actual Prima is on top. My redesign is below. 

048CD54B-7CF8-4B42-A213-9730DA3ED0EC.jpeg

Why is your nose so long though? That looks quite silly, same with the fin tail on the back. I honestly think the bottom one looks way more weird.

• Like 3