What is it going to take to get you back on board?

7 hours ago, yogimax said:

Love Boat reruns are on weekly on Me TV here in NYC.

All I can say is if the crew acted today like the Captain, doctor, purser, bar tender and cruise director did back then, they would all have a one way ticket back home!

LOL. I wonder how Doc would have handled a Covid case. I don't think he knew how to use a Bandaid.

2 hours ago, bigrednole said:

There are true quick tests that meet all of the FDA EUA requirements. Testing results are in seconds (11s). They are as or more accurate that the deep nose swab that takes days or weeks to get. They are both saliva and blood based testing. In order to do this systematically, make it very clear to cruisers that the time they are assigned to arrive is the time they are assigned to arrive. They will be turned away from the terminal. The cruise line or terminal authority can setup a staging area for this to be done. It can even somewhere besides the terminal. You have to go there first, have the test administered, they update your boarding to a "passed" status, and then you can proceed to the terminal.

It's not difficult. It will take discipline and a new wake up to cruisers that the time on the boarding slip IS the time they can show up. If yours says 1:30PM, you don't get to show up at 1:20PM. You are turned away, have to go to the back of the line, and wait. It will only take a few harsh lessons and people will get the picture.

I agree a staging area of sorts can be set up that would be a very good idea. But blood test to board a cruise ship? I don't think people would be down for that? How much blood would they draw? a test tube full?  Besides it only takes a few people to faint at the sight of blood as some might do and the testing process grinds to a halt for a few minutes. And also what about people arriving from another cruise ship like the Queen Mary 2. The Anthem for example boards hundreds of passengers like this several times a year. They get off the ship when they get off the ship and transit from the Brooklyn terminal to Bayonne. Depending upon NYC and NJ traffic there is no guarantee as to what time they would arrive.

Vaccine uptake is the key here and will be very high among the cruising followers I think. Much higher than in the general population.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

I agree a staging area of sorts can be set up that would be a very good idea. But blood test to board a cruise ship? I don't think people would be down for that? How much blood would they draw? a test tube full?  Besides it only takes a few people to faint at the sight of blood as some might do and the testing process grinds to a halt for a few minutes. And also what about people arriving from another cruise ship like the Queen Mary 2. The Anthem for example boards hundreds of passengers like this several times a year. They get off the ship when they get off the ship and transit from the Brooklyn terminal to Bayonne. Depending upon NYC and NJ traffic there is no guarantee as to what time they would arrive.

Vaccine uptake is the key here and will be very high among the cruising followers I think. Much higher than in the general population.

Do they draw blood, or is it a finger *****?

Maybe consecutive cruising won't be allowed in near term.  Manifests could easily identify where someone just came from.

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

How much blood would they draw? a test tube full? 

It is the same as a diabetic test. There is a company that has both a saliva test (almost complete with testing) and this little pin poke test. The blood test is complete in 11s and is showing 80%+ accuracy which is better than the deep nose swab and Lab Corp. If they can speed up the Yale/NBA fast saliva test as well, that will be a great help. But, the 72-hour to 3-week result test are useless.

16 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

And no one trusts that vaccine. I think there will be a great trust in the vaccine once it can be shown to work.

Showing that it works is one thing.

Showing that it is safe to take is another.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Do they draw blood, or is it a finger *****?

Maybe consecutive cruising won't be allowed in near term.  Manifests could easily identify where someone just came from.

Well that could be a problem as cruise agencies are already selling consecutive or connecting cruises and selling them pretty well. A number of packages feature QM2 and Anthem or QM2 and NCL are on sale at the moment for late 2021 when the industry will more likely than not start to get back on it's feet again. And if we follow your argument then perhaps "Super Mario" may not be allowed back on the RCL ships. And due to data protection cruise lines are unlikely and may even be legally prohibited from sharing manifests with each other?

3 hours ago, yogimax said:

Showing that it works is one thing.

Showing that it is safe to take is another.

That is why most countries are taking their good time do the proper phase 3 trials and even worldwide phase 3 trials. I think Russia has just skipped that bit. Time will tell

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, compman9 said:

I am far more at risk of getting run over, or dying of flu, or pretty much anything else

So, as soon as they announce cruising, I will be back

me too, but you say that on these boards and you get blasted!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, karena1 said:

me too, but you say that on these boards and you get blasted!

Very sad as the last time I checked this was a cruise board. If I had no intention of cruising again or negative virus comments related to cruising, not sure I would continue to use this board.  

If we do not keep hopeful about our next cruise or cruising coming back, what’s the point.  For me, I am a realist, but I need a countdown to look forward to.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, maggieq said:

Very sad as the last time I checked this was a cruise board. If I had no intention of cruising again or negative virus comments related to cruising, not sure I would continue to use this board.  

If we do not keep hopeful about our next cruise or cruising coming back, what’s the point.  For me, I am a realist, but I need a countdown to look forward to.  

I am an optimist and always hopeful.  But anytime I say that on these boards, I get blasted as being an unrealistic idiot!  It gets old after a while.  I don't think there is anything wrong with being optimistic, but most people want to be downers, and want everyone to be downers with them.

Edited by karena1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Well that could be a problem as cruise agencies are already selling consecutive or connecting cruises and selling them pretty well. A number of packages feature QM2 and Anthem or QM2 and NCL are on sale at the moment for late 2021 when the industry will more likely than not start to get back on it's feet again. And if we follow your argument then perhaps "Super Mario" may not be allowed back on the RCL ships. And due to data protection cruise lines are unlikely and may even be legally prohibited from sharing manifests with each other?

FWIW, pretty sure the cruise lines are offering a whole lot of things that aren't going to happen.

Whst individual pkg deals are made at the TA level is of little concern to getting ships sailing again

Big fan of SM, but the world won't end if Mario has to adjust

As far as manifests, those are collected by the authorities. If they are the ones concerned, it will happen

Besides, these are just theories

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

FWIW, pretty sure the cruise lines are offering a whole lot of things that aren't going to happen.

Whst individual pkg deals are made at the TA level is of little concern to getting ships sailing again

Big fan of SM, but the world won't end if Mario has to adjust

As far as manifests, those are collected by the authorities. If they are the ones concerned, it will happen

Besides, these are just theories

I don't think they will want to damage relations with the agencies to be fair. They do bring RCL and other lines a large amount of their business. And the agencies will be in a pretty pickle it does happen especially if passengers are turned away at port.

I have never met Mario. The bartender on the Indy told us about him when we asked him about people living onboard. But I do know he has been on ships for at least 25 years across all the lines before settling on RCL. I am sure he will be back onboard before too long. They have a guy on the QM2 who lives onboard 6 months of the year and teach a class about tying bow ties. I think it is a tax thing with him.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I don't think they will want to damage relations with the agencies to be fair. They do bring RCL and other lines a large amount of their business. And the agencies will be in a pretty pickle it does happen especially if passengers are turned away at port.

I have never met Mario. The bartender on the Indy told us about him when we asked him about people living onboard. But I do know he has been on ships for at least 25 years across all the lines before settling on RCL. I am sure he will be back onboard before too long. They have a guy on the QM2 who lives onboard 6 months of the year and teach a class about tying bow ties. I think it is a tax thing with him.

If this is a requirement, and that's a big if, they will know in advance that it can't work out.  And if someone tries to cheat, that's their problem.

But like I said earlier, it might only apply to early sailings. When cruising comes back, things could easily be quite different for a while.

Stay safe

Some cruisers have to fly to the port .

If you test positive prior to boarding and are denied entry onto the ship that creates a

real problem . 

Cant go back onto an airplane and would you have to isolate for 14 days in miami ?

Thats why i am going to wait a long while . Dont need that hassle .

3 hours ago, loman said:

Some cruisers have to fly to the port .

If you test positive prior to boarding and are denied entry onto the ship that creates a

real problem . 

Cant go back onto an airplane and would you have to isolate for 14 days in miami ?

Thats why i am going to wait a long while . Dont need that hassle .

There was some speculation that the early cruises might be drive to only. They would discourage people from flying. 

But then Covid exploded down and I haven't heard it since

On 8/19/2020 at 10:37 AM, yogimax said:

Yes, and the captain would be unable to get us back to port.

That’s what harbor pilots are for. Meanwhile, the captain has important duties to take care of, like getting Mr and Mrs Klempmire to realize they really do love each other and don’t want a divorce. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 9:48 AM, Ashland said:

Have a civil ceremony.....You son should understand that it's not safe for the extended family to attend..They'll be lot's of time to celebrate together at a later time.

Agreed.  Also don't forget flights aren't safe either to get from A to B and back.

On 8/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, bouhunter said:

1.  When we don't have to wear a mask on the ship.  Period.

2.  When we don't have to be on a ship excursion to get off at port.

3.  When most or all of the "social distancing" and other restrictions to venues, dining and activities are a thing of the past.

4.  When the possibility of being locked up on a quarantined prison ship is gone for good.

Good thing we did 6 weeks of cruising last winter, we might not be back on board for quite some time 🙂

I agree as a senior no hurry to get on an airplane or ship - especially when there will be some who won't wear a mask or social distance even if it is recommended.  One of our provinces have started very hefty fines for those who don't follow the rules.