Mask or No Mask

lyannea

The good news is cruising isn't a democracy and you don't get to choose whether or not to wear one. Your only choice is whether or not to cruise. I trust Carnival will make the best decisions based on general accepted science and not from some right field rag.

37 minutes ago, latserrof said:

Or not.

That study was  masks during surgery ("Keywords: Surgery"); might results be different from the general population during a pandemic?

If you follow the quoted posts, this was in response to ObstructedView2's meme post depicting surgeons in an operating room, which is applicable to this study.

You are correct that this study does not directly observe the use of masks by the general public during a pandemic, which indeed "might" be different.  For that scenario we will need to wait for the first RCT to be published.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04337541

Word on the street is that this study is complete and has been submitted to a journal for publication.  The world anxiously awaits the results.

• Like 1

If Carnival requires masks, I have no problem. I just hope Carnival brings on extra security for those that will wear them to get on board and take them off and dare anyone to make them put their mask back on.   We have all heard of people going off when they are made to wear masks   Also added liquor could make things worse

50 minutes ago, jellybeana said:

If Carnival requires masks, I have no problem. I just hope Carnival brings on extra security for those that will wear them to get on board and take them off and dare anyone to make them put their mask back on.   We have all heard of people going off when they are made to wear masks   Also added liquor could make things worse

Maybe Carnival needs to enlist a "Passenger Police" to report the one's that refuse to obey. I am hoping that "Candid Camera" security monitors are enhanced onboard to help deter those type of actions.  Why can't we just "Lead By Example" anymore in this Country? 

4 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Maybe Carnival needs to enlist a "Passenger Police" to report the one's that refuse to obey. I am hoping that "Candid Camera" security monitors are enhanced onboard to help deter those type of actions.  Why can't we just "Lead By Example" anymore in this Country? 

Yes , since it’s all settled along with cam perhaps your carnival passenger police could enlist the young . Give them arm bands and they can patrol and report. Carnival youth .. hmmm 

• Like 3

I did my first cruise in the midst of the current pandemic in late July- Mask were mandatory when walking the ship and on the upper decks when it got croweded. No problem at all. Securtiy officers all over the place to make sure everyone adheres to the mask- rule.

It was a great four night cruise - sea days only. My first time on board German ship  ( Usually it can take 3000 passengers- for those first cruises they fill their ships only at a maximum of 60% capaticy) - I usualy perfer a more international group.

Since that first little cruise worked so well I am booked on a 7 nights Panoramic Cruise - no shore excurions - only sea days and crusing the Shären in the east sea. Can´t wait to board.

It is really rather simple- either wear your mask if social distancing can not be granted on board,  or stay home- and wear you mask there - when shopping or using the public transportation system.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Cruising with these type of policies is for people who are total cruise addicts that probably get more kicks out of planning than the cruise itself.

I would suggest the policies don't upset the kind of people who enjoy cruising for the sake of cruising and also understand the world doesn't revolve around them.

7 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

They already have them. On our cruise on the Dream last July, 2019, I saw one. They wear black pants with grey t-shirts with " Security" on the back of them. I stopped and asked one of them how many were onboard the ship. He quite frankly answered, "17". He had the physique of a body builder, I would not want to get into a confrontation with him. 

22 hours ago, jfunk138 said:

This Journal study confirms your nurse's intuition:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4480558/

"overall there is a lack of substantial evidence to support claims that facemasks protect either patient or surgeon from infectious contamination."

A study is only as good as the hypothesis and the sampling and the control of the sampling.  Pick another set of conditions and I am sure the data can be shown to support the opposite conclusion.  

The use of personal common sense and let one's bias drive what one believe all others must follow, or the lack of willingness to make self sacrifice or follow what can have little downside is a sad state in many countries. 

11 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I did my first cruise in the midst of the current pandemic in late July- Mask were mandatory when walking the ship and on the upper decks when it got croweded. No problem at all. Securtiy officers all over the place to make sure everyone adheres to the mask- rule.

It was a great four night cruise - sea days only. My first time on board German ship  ( Usually it can take 3000 passengers- for those first cruises they fill their ships only at a maximum of 60% capaticy) - I usualy perfer a more international group.

Since that first little cruise worked so well I am booked on a 7 nights Panoramic Cruise - no shore excurions - only sea days and crusing the Shären in the east sea. Can´t wait to board.

It is really rather simple- either wear your mask if social distancing can not be granted on board,  or stay home- and wear you mask there - when shopping or using the public transportation system.

Nice, I wish we had a line of sight to cruising and other leisure public gathering of people here in the US, but people here simply can't compromise for the better good of the local community. 

11 hours ago, Joe817 said:

They already have them. On our cruise on the Dream last July, 2019, I saw one. They wear black pants with grey t-shirts with " Security" on the back of them. I stopped and asked one of them how many were onboard the ship. He quite frankly answered, "17". He had the physique of a body builder, I would not want to get into a confrontation with him. 

The one's I witnessed did not have the body builder look. These individuals were common everyday passenger looking fun loving security. When dealing with crowd control measures businesses will not always let you know thew obvious. 

7 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Unfortunately you might have to wait a long while to cruise from the US. I think mask are here for a while.  

Unfortunately there are no standard parameters for "a long while", but at  age 81 I'll either wait gladly or die. After 33 cruises I'm no longer THAT addicted that I can even begin to tolerate masks and distancing on a cruise ship. I loved my trip to Europe a few years ago and NOW I'm eager to do it again. 🙂

Edited by glrounds
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Unfortunately there are no standard parameters for "a long while", but at  age 81 I'll either wait gladly or die. After 33 cruises I'm no longer THAT addicted that I can even begin to tolerate masks and distancing on a cruise ship. I loved my trip to Europe a few years ago and NOW I'm eager to do it again. 🙂

Congratulations on making it three score plus 21 years. Whatever you're doing must be working well. While and when you are in Europe please try and practice the rules for safety. The last time we heard the plague does not have an immune mechanism for overseas travel.  At the end of the I still Praise God for my life.     

10 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Unfortunately you might have to wait a long while to cruise from the US. I think mask are here for a while.  

They are. And I don't plan on cruising on a ship that doesn't follow credible (IMO) expert recommendations.

I haven't seen, or looked for, the results from the CDC request for comments which I think is still going on.

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

They are. And I don't plan on cruising on a ship that doesn't follow credible (IMO) expert recommendations.

I haven't seen, or looked for, the results from the CDC request for comments which I think is still going on.

Maybe it's something psychological that I was not gifted with? I have tried to understand opposition to mask wearing for months. I just can't wrap my arms around the fact that it makes necessary and common sense to wear our protective masks and people still are saying "no". Maybe it's a recurring medical condition that the mask cause to reoccur? Maybe it's some form of onset "premature claustrophobia"? Maybe it's just that some can't submit to "justified authority"?   

I am not a member of Carnival's Board of Directors or their crew family; however, In am a member of "The Proud" US Citizenship that values everyone's safety.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Maybe it's something psychological that I was not gifted with? I have tried to understand opposition to mask wearing for months. I just can't wrap my arms around the fact that it makes necessary and common sense to wear our protective masks and people still are saying "no". Maybe it's a recurring medical condition that the mask cause to reoccur? Maybe it's some form of onset "premature claustrophobia"? Maybe it's just that some can't submit to "justified authority"?   

I am not a member of Carnival's Board of Directors or their crew family; however, In am a member of "The Proud" US Citizenship that values everyone's safety.    

Look up HERD IMMUNITY

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Still waiting for Sweden to prove that it is possible. So far they have failed. Most of the world has travel restrictions Americans. So far we have, too.

The vaccine artificially PROVIDES herd immunity. That's what I'm waiting for.

Edited by glrounds