Mask or No Mask

lyannea

19 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Florida removes mask wearing and social distancing requirements effective today. Here are key points.

Florida Gov Ron DeSantis announced Friday afternoon that Florida will move to "Phase 3" of its reopening plan, lifting all restrictions on bars and restaurants blocking them from operating at full capacity. The order also prevents local governments from enforcing social distancing requirements like wearing masks in public.

• "It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan."
  • It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.
  • "Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at above 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification."
  • "Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine."

The news is already horrifying public health experts.

Looks like Florida is going to the "Let It Rip" approach to Covid control.

I approve of his decision.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Florida removes mask wearing and social distancing requirements effective today. Here are key points.

Florida Gov Ron DeSantis announced Friday afternoon that Florida will move to "Phase 3" of its reopening plan, lifting all restrictions on bars and restaurants blocking them from operating at full capacity. The order also prevents local governments from enforcing social distancing requirements like wearing masks in public.

• "It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan."
  • It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.
  • "Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at above 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification."
  • "Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine."

The news is already horrifying public health experts.

Looks like Florida is going to the "Let It Rip" approach to Covid control.

Scary stuff.  Here in North Carolina the restrictions have been lightened just a little and as of yesterday the Rt, which is basically how many people an infected person will pass the virus on to ticked up for the first time in a while.  Florida as of yesterday was in a very good position below 1 which is what every state should be looking for.  I hope they don't exacerbate the problem and make it even longer before it is safe to cruise.

2 minutes ago, skridge said:

Scary stuff.  Here in North Carolina the restrictions have been lightened just a little and as of yesterday the Rt, which is basically how many people an infected person will pass the virus on to ticked up for the first time in a while.  Florida as of yesterday was in a very good position below 1 which is what every state should be looking for.  I hope they don't exacerbate the problem and make it even longer before it is safe to cruise.

Each of us are entitled to our opinions. Thanks for yours. I realize what the trends and numbers are saying. I also realize that trends and numbers are not spreading this Virus. Look at College campuses throughout this Nation; many might eventually have to close their physical campuses. You combine College age students, some responsible but more irresponsible partying, Florida's nice Winter/Fall weather, unregulated gatherings and you have a continued recipe for disaster.    

12 hours ago, mpk said:

I'm thinking I might wear a mask even after it is no longer required   🙂

That would be the considerate thing to do, but wearing a mask is to protect others from you. The others would still be walking, talking virus spreaders.

• Like 1

******Please return to the topic of this thread which is masks versus no masks and cruising.This is not a forum  to discuss religion, political decisions,  vaccines,, death statistics.

It really doesn't directly relate to Carnival because we have no idea what written policy and requirements will be.

thank you.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Host Carolyn said:

******Please return to the topic of this thread which is masks versus no masks and cruising.This is not a forum  to discuss religion, political decisions,  vaccines,, death statistics.

It really doesn't directly relate to Carnival because we have no idea what written policy and requirements will be.

thank you.

CLIA has already said masks will be mandatory when cruising resumes so I think we have a pretty good idea what the policy is going to be concerning wearing masks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Exactly. I don't plan to be in close proximity with 3000+ passenger and crew without a mask. 

I'm curious... Are you going to be only eating room service meals?   Not clear how you eat and drink with a mask if you plan to visit Lido or MDR.  CDC recently released data showing that eating at restaurants was associated with a doubled risk of infection.  Lido and MDR are pretty much "restaurants".  

I think the mask wearing and social distancing will be done away with fairly quickly once cruising resumes. If you test everyone before boarding I see no reason to have it. If the testing process goes smoothly for a couple of months and no false results coming up frequently I can see it not being a requirement while on the ship. Port excursions are going to be an issue though unless there is a strict travel bubble which is going to be hard to do on Caribbean cruises because people want to go to beaches not museums.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I'm curious... Are you going to be only eating room service meals?   Not clear how you eat and drink with a mask if you plan to visit Lido or MDR.  CDC recently released data showing that eating at restaurants was associated with a doubled risk of infection.  Lido and MDR are pretty much "restaurants".  

Majority will probably be room service.  look,  we enjoy living and I am going to do what I can to maintain my healthy lifestyle. Even if it means passing on a few "sit down restaurant" meals. This thing is very serious and I respect this Virus.

15 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

I think the mask wearing and social distancing will be done away with fairly quickly once cruising resumes. If you test everyone before boarding I see no reason to have it. If the testing process goes smoothly for a couple of months and no false results coming up frequently I can see it not being a requirement while on the ship. Port excursions are going to be an issue though unless there is a strict travel bubble which is going to be hard to do on Caribbean cruises because people want to go to beaches not museums.

Just because everyone tested negative before boarding does not mean that they will not breakout 2 days later. Still have to be safe and cautious. 

3 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Majority will probably be room service.  look,  we enjoy living and I am going to do what I can to maintain my healthy lifestyle. Even if it means passing on a few "sit down restaurant" meals. This thing is very serious and I respect this Virus.

I understand your concern, many people do feel the same way as you.  This is why I suggested in Post #2 to this thread, that Carnival should really consider offering cruises where masks are required and cruises that don't require them.  Not everyone is as concerned about the virus.  Many have already had it, with mild or no symptoms, and have ZERO concern about cruising without masks (or any other restriction for that matter).  

This is particularly true now that Florida is going wide open, why would I spend my vacation masked up under the watchful eye of the "fun police", when I could visit Florida or an island all-inclusive that does not require masks?  In the past, I'd rather be sailing.  I've never tried the all-inclusive, maybe this is my motivation to give all-inclusive a try?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

I understand your concern, many people do feel the same way as you.  This is why I suggested in Post #2 to this thread, that Carnival should really consider offering cruises where masks are required and cruises that don't require them.  Not everyone is as concerned about the virus.  Many have already had it, with mild or no symptoms, and have ZERO concern about cruising without masks (or any other restriction for that matter).  

This is particularly true now that Florida is going wide open, why would I spend my vacation masked up under the watchful eye of the "fun police", when I could visit Florida or an island all-inclusive that does not require masks?  In the past, I'd rather be sailing.  I've never tried the all-inclusive, maybe this is my motivation to give all-inclusive a try?

My intent is always to be truthful, honest and as transparent as humanly possible. As a result, I am almost certain that some of the individuals that were not initially concerned with the Virus are no longer with us. Not trying to present a morbid point of view just the truth. Maybe Carnival will initiate a "no mask" and/or "mask" only cruise format? I would think that they would only format a "one size fits all mandatory" rule for all cruisers.     

29 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

If masks are required by everyone to get the industry sailing again, then so be it. I am all in. If you choose not to, fine. But to say, that it isn't a concern, is selfish. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

My wife and I did several all-inclusives in the past. While we had a good time, we would never do them again because we found cruising to be far more enjoyable. Compared to cruising I found all-inclusives to be boring after a few days there and we have no plans to do one again. However, this is just our opinion. You may do an all-inclusive and love it. The environment at an all-inclusive is far different than the environment on a ship, at least in our experience. That may be a good thing based on your preferences.

1 hour ago, jetsfan58 said:

Exactly. I don't plan to be in close proximity with 3000+ passenger and crew without a mask. 

I read that the likelihood of catching COVID19 from someone else is related to the amount of time one spends with them.

As in over 30 minutes.

That’s why thousands of cashiers at grocery stores are not all infected.

I hope that cruise lines change the way we board- having hundreds in one room for a long period of time may be a recipe for disaster.

i was reading a trip review on CC from someone who was on Costa recently and they had the drill shown on their TV and then their room key swiped at a specific location.

I’m also thinking that pool covers to make way for an outdoor dining area + heat lamps may help with keeping indoor areas less crowded.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

Enjoy the all-inclusive.

The odds of Carnival offering mask free cruises is about the same as offering kid free cruising or smoke free cruising which is to say ZERO.

Cruising has never been for everyone, and is no different now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruising has never been for everyone, and is no different now.

My observation has been that cruising has never been a top choice for people concerned about infectious diseases.  Rightly or wrongly, cruises have earned a reputation as petri dishes.   I have friends that refused to cruise outright for this very reason prior to 2020.   I don't know if Carnival has done any focus groups, but I suspect the average Carnival cruiser is far less concerned about infection than the average American.

Carnival seems to share much more in common with those college parties they keep putting in the news, than a sleepy NCL cruise to Alaska.  Once the booze flows, off come the masks...  Will "Fun Squad" be retasked as the "fun police"?  Time will tell.  

5 minutes ago, jfunk138 said:

My observation has been that cruising has never been a top choice for people concerned about infectious diseases.  Rightly or wrongly, cruises have earned a reputation as petri dishes.   I have friends that refused to cruise outright for this very reason prior to 2020.   I don't know if Carnival has done any focus groups, but I suspect the average Carnival cruiser is far less concerned about infection than the average American.

Carnival seems to share much more in common with those college parties they keep putting in the news, than a sleepy NCL cruise to Alaska.  Once the booze flows, off come the masks...  Will "Fun Squad" be retasked as the "fun police"?  Time will tell.  

The lawsuits will tell if Carnival sells safety and doesn't deliver.

There was already no lack of complaints from cruisers who come home sick from cruises. I don't think any want to come home dead.

8 hours ago, buckeyefrank said:

I tend to agree that the rush of the vaccine is 100% political, but it's by both sides.  The problem is that every day, new evidence comes out that suggests there's a cheap, safe and abundantly supplied medicine that currently exists to prevent and significantly reduce symptoms and deaths, but is not being used, solely because of political agendas.  It breaks my heart that the seniors in our country cannot see their loved ones and are dying of loneliness when there's a readily available option.  I see it every day 😞

No vaccine is 100% efficacy and the side effects are unknown and something will be found when you administer it to a hundreds of millions, wonder if there will be side sensitivities to obesity.....

Agree we already have masks, social distancing and if So Korea is any example they don't have a vaccine and have amazing low death and case even with the outbreaks..... there is a way but most in the US and Western World can't accept those methods.

On 9/25/2020 at 12:44 PM, buckeyefrank said:

I tend to agree that the rush of the vaccine is 100% political, but it's by both sides.  The problem is that every day, new evidence comes out that suggests there's a cheap, safe and abundantly supplied medicine that currently exists to prevent and significantly reduce symptoms and deaths, but is not being used, solely because of political agendas.  It breaks my heart that the seniors in our country cannot see their loved ones and are dying of loneliness when there's a readily available option.  I see it every day 😞

I have, off and on, done a search for "news" of this evidence you speak of, since it crops up every now and then.

There is no evidence.  Quite the opposite.  I could quote all the recent articles I just dug up, but that isn't the point of this thread or this forum.  But I do find your statement to be dangerous, so I felt I had to respond.

And it would require every modernized ("First World") Western nation to all agree to quash this "data", not just a local US Government conspiracy.  I think that is, um, highly unlikely.

Anyway, back to the OP: I grow weary of wearing a mask when so many people don't, or they wear one improperly.  And I don't know if I really would tolerate wearing one, even infrequently, on a cruise.  I'm not ready to make that decision yet.  Hopefully they won't be required when I next plan to cruise in April 2021.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, ProgRockCruiser said:

I have, off and on, done a search for "news" of this evidence you speak of, since it crops up every now and then.

There is no evidence.  Quite the opposite.  I could quote all the recent articles I just dug up, but that isn't the point of this thread or this forum.  But I do find your statement to be dangerous, so I felt I had to respond.

And it would require every modernized ("First World") Western nation to all agree to quash this "data", not just a local US Government conspiracy.  I think that is, um, highly unlikely.

Anyway, back to the OP: I grow weary of wearing a mask when so many people don't, or they wear one improperly.  And I don't know if I really would tolerate wearing one, even infrequently, on a cruise.  I'm not ready to make that decision yet.  Hopefully they won't be required when I next plan to cruise in April 2021.

Here's one

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

Conclusions and relevance

In this multi-hospital assessment, when controlling for COVID-19 risk factors, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with reduction in COVID-19 associated mortality. Prospective trials are needed to examine this impact.