Hotels in Rome

tidefan

I agree with the advice to stay near the center of the "Centro Storico" (historic center) of Rome -- the area roughly from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona/Campo dei Fiori, with the Pantheon more or less in the center. This area is pleasant in the evening to stroll and with many excellent restaurant choices nearby. Plus if you can walk, you can get to most of the main sites in Rome on foot. (The Vatican being the outlier, but even a taxi to the Vatican from this area should only run you 10-12 euro.)

For the last 15 years or so I've visited Rome at least annually. I've tried three or four different locations, all of which have some merit (Spanish steps, Colosseum area, Termini) but the area around the Pantheon is my absolute favorite, and the Albergo del Senato is one of my favorite hotels anywhere -- a small-to-medium size, well-run traditional Italian hotel with excellent location, service (and as Gracie115 said, views).  Their rooftop terrace at sunset is a treat.

• Like 5

Another vote for Albergo del Senato. For service, location, rooms, breakfast etc.  We used this wonderful , authentic Italian hotel prior to our Edge cruise last September and cannot  recommend it more highly.  If we ever get back to Rome after this nightmare of Covid-19, we will not hesitate to make a booking at Albergo del Senato!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Albergo del Senato is wonderful....right next to the Pantheon, ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor overlooking the square and the Pantheon, what a spectacular way to wake up, open the curtains and have that as your view.....the way my 1st morning in Rome began and the memory is as clear now as it was when it happened 10 years ago.....can't way to go back again...

Another vote for Albrego del Senato. They also have a rooftop bar restaurant where breakfast is served, you can also relax there in the evening with a glass of vino. 
You can find cheaper hotels but the location and views here are stunning IMO.

Ask on your Roll Call about sharing a ride to Civitavecchia, easy to set up. The Italy Ports forum will give you names and details of several companies who do transfers, way better and much cheaper than going with Celebrity!

Edited by prish
  • Like 2

Best we have stayed in is the Hotel Artemide. Great position, lovely rooftop bar and good value. I also stayed the night before the cruise in Civitavecchia at the Hotel Traghetto. Walking distance to the shuttle in the morning with a view from the room of the ship.  

3 hours ago, prish said:

Another vote for Albrego del Senato. They also have a rooftop bar restaurant where breakfast is served, you can also relax there in the evening with a glass of vino. 
You can find cheaper hotels but the location and views here are stunning IMO.

Yes their rooftop lounge is wonderful, I couldn't imagine a better place to wake up on a visit to Rome.

2 hours ago, ela123 said:

Best we have stayed in is the Hotel Artemide. Great position, lovely rooftop bar and good value.  

We also stayed at the Artemide when we travelled with friends to Rome once and it is a lovely hotel with excellent service and amenities but it felt more like a hotel in the USA than Italy, with music from the "Top 40" piped into the lobby areas.  It seemed to  cater to the English speaking traveller whereas the Albergo del Senato is a smaller more intimate, more traditional Italian hotel. 

You can't go wrong with either one. 

On 8/27/2020 at 7:55 PM, Bruin Steve said:

My best advice is to ask yourself what it is you are looking for with a hotel.  If you don't care about cost and you just want everything tied up into one neat package with the cruise line handling it all, then you will be happy using the cruise line packages--hotels and transfers.  But, if you are looking to put together your own pre- or post-cruise visit, you can do much better...

The Grand Hotel Palace is up near the Villa Borghese...There are a lot of larger chain hotels up there--because the area pretty much allows for it...it's a busy part of town and away from many of the attractions...Celebrity will also sell you transportation to the port--but that comes at a hefty price as well...and in a big bus on THEIR schedule...

For me, I prefer to stay in the area near the Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiore and Pantheon...lots of nice smaller hotels in the area, many that can be had at a reasonable price.  (Last couple of visits, we stayed at the Residenza Farnese, this next trip, we've booked the Navona Theater Hotel.  There are many other choices in the area as well).  This area is very close to many of the prime tourist sites...and lots of great restaurants.  To get to the port in Civitavecchia, we'll use a shared shuttle from NCC, though we've also used trains and even rental cars in the past.  In the end, we have greater control over our pre- or post-cruise stay...and have really enjoyed staying in smaller, more convenient hotels...

Agree with you on areas to stay in Rome.  We love the area around the Pantheon.

We’ve stayed at the 3 star Hotel Novecento in the historical centre of Rome. It’s not far from the Colliseum and very close to the Manzoni metro stop. It has an elevator. Would stay there again. Also we’ve stayed at the 4 star River Palace near Piazza Del Popolo which was lovely. Great location...

We’ve used Romecabs to get to the ship and also they picked us up at the airport. Very efficient and would highly recommend.

On 8/28/2020 at 4:51 AM, dani negreanu said:

You might want to check this company also -- we've used them several times - from airport to hotel in Rome, to the port and back, from hotel to airport --

shared/private options, 

https://www.civitavecchiacabservice.com/

Also highly recommended near Largo Argentina -- Residenza Argentina....

what time do you book them for to go to rome?  we are in a sky suite so not sure how long it will take to disembark.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 9:15 PM, tidefan said:

I am new to Celebrity cruise line, can anyone tell me what hotels they typically use in Rome for pre-cruise?

Our experience with the Empire Palace Hotel in Rome, as booked by Celebrity, was good. We enjoy walking and walked to several interesting places in Rome. I am not sure whether you are booking via Celebrity USA or Celebrity UK, or elsewhere; they seem to arrange things differently. We booked from the UK and wrote a little about our hotels and transfers, see https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2669624-transfers-with-celebrity-help/?tab=comments#comment-57652016

44 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

what time do you book them for to go to rome?  we are in a sky suite so not sure how long it will take to disembark.

The disembarkation in Civitavecchia is quick...

We were not in a hurry, we always like to have b'fast before disembarking, so we booked them for 9AM for traveling back to Rome. We opted to stay another night in Rome.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 12:16 PM, tidefan said:

Thank you all so much for your responses and suggestions!  I have been all over Europe but have not visited Rome so this is extremely helpful! 😊

After reading this thread, I want to go back to Rome!  Now!  😃

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 5:50 AM, Gracie115 said:

Yes their rooftop lounge is wonderful, I couldn't imagine a better place to wake up on a visit to Rome.

We also stayed at the Artemide when we travelled with friends to Rome once and it is a lovely hotel with excellent service and amenities but it felt more like a hotel in the USA than Italy, with music from the "Top 40" piped into the lobby areas.  It seemed to  cater to the English speaking traveller whereas the Albergo del Senato is a smaller more intimate, more traditional Italian hotel. 

You can't go wrong with either one. 

Would you be able to compare these two more?   I have stayed at hotel artemide, and loved it. But after seeing so many positive comments here for Albergo del Senato, I would consider it.

7 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

Would you be able to compare these two more?   I have stayed at hotel artemide, and loved it. But after seeing so many positive comments here for Albergo del Senato, I would consider it.

Artemide is quite large compared to del Senato.  Albergo del Senato is more like a boutique hotel.  Artemide offers more "perks" such as the basket of goodies in your room that are replenished each day free of charge.  Artemide has more dining options.  Del Senato is a much older hotel, although rooms have been renovated, the rooms themselves are smaller than those at the Artemide.   

The two are just very different, if I were going back to Rome for just a day or two I would most likely choose the del Senato mostly because of it's location, it truly is breathtaking to open your curtains and see the Pantheon in front of you and watch the square in front of it wake up for the day.  Just marvelous.   If I were going to be in Rome for a week or more I would probably choose the Artemide because it is much more of a full service hotel than the del Senato.  Hope that helps. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

Artemide is quite large compared to del Senato.  Albergo del Senato is more like a boutique hotel.  Artemide offers more "perks" such as the basket of goodies in your room that are replenished each day free of charge.  Artemide has more dining options.  Del Senato is a much older hotel, although rooms have been renovated, the rooms themselves are smaller than those at the Artemide.   

The two are just very different, if I were going back to Rome for just a day or two I would most likely choose the del Senato mostly because of it's location, it truly is breathtaking to open your curtains and see the Pantheon in front of you and watch the square in front of it wake up for the day.  Just marvelous.   If I were going to be in Rome for a week or more I would probably choose the Artemide because it is much more of a full service hotel than the del Senato.  Hope that helps. 

THANK YOU @Gracie115 😃

That's very helpful.  Now I want to go to Rome for a week plus 2 days - to stay in both.  😁

It does sound marvelous to wake up and watch or be in the square in front of the Pantheon.  Just curious, was there noisee from the square at night? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shadow9612 said:

THANK YOU @Gracie115 😃

That's very helpful.  Now I want to go to Rome for a week plus 2 days - to stay in both.  😁

It does sound marvelous to wake up and watch or be in the square in front of the Pantheon.  Just curious, was there noisee from the square at night? 

No, not at all, very quiet. There was an afternoon that had some live music in the square, but it was wonderful and just added to the ambiance.  Oh how I wish I was back there right now.

Edited by Gracie115
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I was in Rome for about 9 days last fall and stayed at the del Senato. I spent one night away from Rome (took an overnight train trip to Ravenna) but other than that I was in Rome. 

The del Senato does not have a restaurant (except for their breakfast service), but there are so many excellent restaurants in the vicinity that one never runs short of a new place to try. In fact, another frequent poster on the Italy boards often chides me for not wanting to leave the Pantheon area for a meal at night to try something further abroad.  I admit I do have about 4-5 favorites and already have reservations for those before I even arrive. 

The del Senato has a very professional and friendly staff that will assist with anything needed from booking tickets for tours, museums, shows, etc. to transportation, to help with any needed services. When I'm staying there, I have emailed ahead of time even for harder-to-arrange things and they generally have sorted it beautifully when I arrive.

The rooms also have facilities for making tea and coffee and a mini-fridge (great for stashing left-overs from generous dinners).  Right across the piazza is one of the best salumerias (sort of the Italian equivalent of a deli) in the Centro Storico where you can grab a quick sandwich or some cheese, salami, bread and wine for a quiet night in. Also within a block is a good sized grocery (Coop) where you have a larger choice. Two of the best coffee places in Rome are also within a stone's throw -- the Tazza d'Oro (Golden Cup) and Sant' Eustachio.

As for noise, the hotel has triple glazed windows. I always request a room facing the piazza and never have been bothered by noise at night with the windows closed. Even when open, there is little noise once the open-air restaurants ringing the piazza have closed for the evening. Fair warning, though, I am an urbanite IRL, so a little bit of noise would probably never wake me, especially when I've been roaming around Rome for miles and miles all day. 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was in Rome for about 9 days last fall and stayed at the del Senato. I spent one night away from Rome (took an overnight train trip to Ravenna) but other than that I was in Rome. 

The del Senato does not have a restaurant (except for their breakfast service), but there are so many excellent restaurants in the vicinity that one never runs short of a new place to try. In fact, another frequent poster on the Italy boards often chides me for not wanting to leave the Pantheon area for a meal at night to try something further abroad.  I admit I do have about 4-5 favorites and already have reservations for those before I even arrive. 

The del Senato has a very professional and friendly staff that will assist with anything needed from booking tickets for tours, museums, shows, etc. to transportation, to help with any needed services. When I'm staying there, I have emailed ahead of time even for harder-to-arrange things and they generally have sorted it beautifully when I arrive.

The rooms also have facilities for making tea and coffee and a mini-fridge (great for stashing left-overs from generous dinners).  Right across the piazza is one of the best salumerias (sort of the Italian equivalent of a deli) in the Centro Storico where you can grab a quick sandwich or some cheese, salami, bread and wine for a quiet night in. Also within a block is a good sized grocery (Coop) where you have a larger choice. Two of the best coffee places in Rome are also within a stone's throw -- the Tazza d'Oro (Golden Cup) and Sant' Eustachio.

As for noise, the hotel has triple glazed windows. I always request a room facing the piazza and never have been bothered by noise at night with the windows closed. Even when open, there is little noise once the open-air restaurants ringing the piazza have closed for the evening. Fair warning, though, I am an urbanite IRL, so a little bit of noise would probably never wake me, especially when I've been roaming around Rome for miles and miles all day. 

Thank you for explaining further all that the del Senato has to offer, it's such a wonderful location and I know you have been there many times.  It was where we stayed on our 1st visit to Rome and it certainly was a big part of why we came to love the city so much.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Thank you for explaining further all that the del Senato has to offer, it's such a wonderful location and I know you have been there many times.  It was where we stayed on our 1st visit to Rome and it certainly was a big part of why we came to love the city so much.  

You know I love it. :classic_biggrin:  But I have friends who've stayed at Artemide and also had a wonderful stay.

Did you end up rebooking anything to replace the Connie cruises in October that we were both going to be on?

My DH and I have stayed at Albergo del Senato three times, with another booking for October of 2021.  Their service and breakfast have been top notch and they are adjacent to the Pantheon.  After breakfast, walk over to the Pantheon right before they open the huge doors.  I get goosebumps every time I do this, as the quietness is unbelievable.  There is a three night reservation request, so know that upfront.  This is a very unique and wonderful boutique hotel with a rooftop terrace that has exceptional views.  We have walked all over Rome from this hotel, enjoying it so much that we continue to return.  There is one superior double that has a terrece facing the piazza, so you can put in a request.  Also, the junior suite is the closest to the Pantheon and has windows facing the front and side of the building.  The shutters block out all the noise in all rooms.  I have photos of this suite, but they are on my iPhone, along with a video.  Red is the decor color of this suite, along with a foyer type room containing a closet to store your bags.  The bathroom is also off this smaller room, so it keeps the bedroom less full and more open.  My only wish was that the bedroom window facing the Pantheon/piazza was larger...there is only one junior suite and it is on the second floor above the office, but I believe it says floor 1.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was just curious why you made the trip to Ravenna...I have also been there, but it was on a cruise from Venice.  There are just too many beautiful places to visit in Italy from the Dolomites and Cinque Terre, including Portifino and Portevenere, to the Amalfi Coast and Ravello, along with Scicily.  I feel blessed each and every time Italy is part of my schedule.  Ravenna had such a beautiful church.  Outside, I took a wonderful photo of an elderly man with his too very precious white poodles...

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

You know I love it. :classic_biggrin:  But I have friends who've stayed at Artemide and also had a wonderful stay.

Did you end up rebooking anything to replace the Connie cruises in October that we were both going to be on?

No, still holding out hope for our Reflection TA this coming April.  I give it about a 50-50 chance. But afraid our next cruise might not happen until we go to Japan for a B2B on the Solstice in April 2022.

I was so disappointed that the Connie cruise didn't happen, it hit so many places I have wanted to see.  I hope Celebrity offers a similar itinerary in 2022.  

19 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

There is one superior double that has a terrace facing the piazza, so you can put in a request.   

I had read about this room before we went and requested and we were lucky to get it....such a wonderful view from there.

24 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I was just curious why you made the trip to Ravenna...I have also been there, but it was on a cruise from Venice.  There are just too many beautiful places to visit in Italy from the Dolomites and Cinque Terre, including Portifino and Portevenere, to the Amalfi Coast and Ravello, along with Scicily.  I feel blessed each and every time Italy is part of my schedule.  Ravenna had such a beautiful church.  Outside, I took a wonderful photo of an elderly man with his too very precious white poodles...

For a number of years I'd wanted to go to Ravenna, I just kept thinking I'd eventually book a cruise that stopped there.

Ravenna has some of the most well preserved and gorgeous mosaics from the late Roman empire, which was my main reason for going. (It became the capital of the Western empire for a while in the 5th c. AD.).

I almost couldn't take in the splendor when I first walked into San Vitale basilica -- the colors were amazing, especially the bright blues and greens. And the tiny treasure box of the tomb of Galla Placidia was incredible. I was there in late November, so the crowds were minimal and I could stay inside as long as I liked.

I knew there was more to see than I could do in a day, which is why I stayed overnight. In addition to two huge basilicas there are also two baptisteries and a bishop's palace with chapel -- all covered in mosaics. I also visited the museum, which has a very important piece of sculpture from the early Imperial Roman period (Emperor Claudius did a lot of building in the city.) And there is also a fantastic Roman house with mosaic floors that has been excavated underneath yet another church.

Also I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by to visit the tomb of Dante.

All in all it was a great little diversion. While I probably could have used one additional day and not rushed so much, I did see everything I wanted to in the two-days' trip, which included the train ride there and back to Rome.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

For a number of years I'd wanted to go to Ravenna, I just kept thinking I'd eventually book a cruise that stopped there.

Ravenna has some of the most well preserved and gorgeous mosaics from the late Roman empire, which was my main reason for going. (It became the capital of the Western empire for a while in the 5th c. AD.).

I almost couldn't take in the splendor when I first walked into San Vitale basilica -- the colors were amazing, especially the bright blues and greens. And the tiny treasure box of the tomb of Galla Placidia was incredible. I was there in late November, so the crowds were minimal and I could stay inside as long as I liked.

I knew there was more to see than I could do in a day, which is why I stayed overnight. In addition to two huge basilicas there are also two baptisteries and a bishop's palace with chapel -- all covered in mosaics. I also visited the museum, which has a very important piece of sculpture from the early Imperial Roman period (Emperor Claudius did a lot of building in the city.) And there is also a fantastic Roman house with mosaic floors that has been excavated underneath yet another church.

Also I couldn't let the opportunity pass me by to visit the tomb of Dante.

All in all it was a great little diversion. While I probably could have used one additional day and not rushed so much, I did see everything I wanted to in the two-days' trip, which included the train ride there and back to Rome.

Exactly...not many people seem to know about Ravenna, so you made a very wise decision and had the time to do it justice!  Thanks for the name, San Vitale basilica, as I had forgotten it from my trip quite a few years ago.

Edited by Lastdance