Began in Venice, stops 

Kopor,Slovenia

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Kotor, Montenegro

Naples, Italy

Civitavecchia, Italy

LaSpezia, Italy,

Provence, France

End in Barcelona  but we were also booked on the Connie TA that followed and also included some ports we had not been to before and ended in Tampa, FL.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 3:29 AM, ela123 said:

Best we have stayed in is the Hotel Artemide. Great position, lovely rooftop bar and good value. I also stayed the night before the cruise in Civitavecchia at the Hotel Traghetto. Walking distance to the shuttle in the morning with a view from the room of the ship.  

Thanks for the tip re the hotel Traghetto....just sent an email asking rates for their rooms and also the transfer cab package mentioned on this thread, with options for a personal tour.  Doing a lot of advance prep for a June cruise as I know the summer can book up quickly in the Rome area.  This is ALL done hoping the virus will allow us to travel from Canada to Italy and the ship will sail, and the ports will open to them. 

Never been on the Infinity....still charming though old(ish)?

Edited by oceangoer2

6 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Thanks for the tip re the hotel Traghetto....just sent an email asking rates for their rooms and also the transfer cab package mentioned on this thread, with options for a personal tour.  Doing a lot of advance prep for a June cruise as I know the summer can book up quickly in the Rome area.  This is ALL done hoping the virus will allow us to travel from Canada to Italy and the ship will sail, and the ports will open to them. 

Never been on the Infinity....still charming though old(ish)?

17 hours ago, ela123 said:

We used the hotel’s car firm to collect us at the airport and they were brilliant ....would absolutely recommend 

Thank you for the info.  I've booked the hotel;  they provided all the info we'll need for transport and tour. You seem to have knowledge of various cities in Italy........can you recommend a hotel in Venice with somewhat the same charm and near the port?

Though you apparently didn't like my choices in Rome, I'll go ahead and pipe in on Venice as well...for what it's worth...

Venice presents some different considerations.  For me, it is never just "charm"...Location and convenience are important as well...and no place is it more of an issue than in Venice.  Venice is a little different type of city.  There is only one part of Venice that can be reached by ground transportation:  Piazzale Roma.  And Piazzale Roma is also the most convenient place to be when it comes to getting to or from the port.  You can get a taxi or a public bus only to Piazzale Roma...You can even return a rental car to Piazzale Roma (We have arrived by rental car here twice).  And, from Piazzale Roma to the port, there is a cheap, easy "Peoplemover" tram.  Anywhere else in Venice requires either taking a Vaporetto (large public bus-boat) or a water taxi (somewhat expensive) and may require some walking from a canal-side pier to the hotel with luggage--though some hotels right on a canal will have their own docks--allowing for water taxis to pull right up to the hotel.

We have always stayed either near Piazzale Roma or near Piazza San Marco.  Many people prefer San Marco for the location near the more famous tourist sites--the Doges' Palace, the Cathedral San Marco, etc.  Others prefer P. Roma for the convenience.  We've stayed at San Marco and needed a bit of extra time to get from the hotel to the airport...and our hotel required dragging luggage across a few small bridges-up and down stairs to get there from the pier.

P. Roma is a bit less charming--being the transportation hub...but it is very convenient, even to the tourist sites because 1) All of Venice is very walkable and 2) the Vaporetti System makes anything convenient and fun to get to...and you can catch the Vaporetti down the Grand Canal from P. Roma...

AND, I find some of the hotels themselves quite charming.  For our upcoming post-cruise, we will be staying at the Hotel Olimpia:

https://www.hotel-olimpia.com/

...which I find to be charming enough in and of itself... and VERY convenient...I would also look at the AC Marriott (a bit modern) and the Ca Doge (location right next to the people mover, a little less charm) in the same area...I think the Olimpia has the most "charm" in this area...

Additionally, we've stayed at the Carlton...which is a little bit away from P. Roma but right on the Grand Canal...and at the Capri (owned by the Carlton, but off on a side alley and requires a little walking--but we found charming and have fond memories of breakfast on the rooftop)...and we've stayed at the small boutique Anastasia--near San Marco--but required some walking over bridges from the dock...

But, lots of hotels in Venice have lots of charm...hard not to...

Edited by Bruin Steve

Thank you for SO much for your detailed and welcome information.  In that regard, do you know anything about the Hotel Principe on the canal?  Looks like a lovely hotel and accessible.  We've only been to Venice once as a cruise port so don't know anything about the city except for tourist spots, water taxi, and gondola 😄 overpaying...LOL.

2 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

Thank you for SO much for your detailed and welcome information.  In that regard, do you know anything about the Hotel Principe on the canal?  Looks like a lovely hotel and accessible.  We've only been to Venice once as a cruise port so don't know anything about the city except for tourist spots, water taxi, and gondola 😄 overpaying...LOL.

A few weeks ago we stayed at the Hotel Paganelli close to San Marco in their “Unique“ room. Very nice! Waterbus stop right in front of the hotel.

The view from the room:

92E16258-D078-4210-BA0F-33596B4674E2.thumb.jpeg.9e104a6ce94f89d68302fc3c2cf643b5.jpeg

Closer to Piazzale Roma we stayed at the Ca‘ Nigra - a gem!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I don't specifically know the hotel (There are lots of little hotels all over Venice), but I know the location well...

It's not really "on the Grand Canal"...It's on Lista d'Spagna...the street that leads from the train station toward the Ghetto...It's a busy shopping street (my wife bought a pair of shoes in a shop on that street one visit)...We also often walk up Lista d'Spagna looking for restaurants...lots of reasonably priced but generally not charming restaurants.

To get there from the port or from P. Roma (and airport transportation), you'd need to take the peoplemover, then walk a little including over one major bridge to get over the Grand Canal.  It is convenient if you were arriving and departing by train, though...but it's a location i likely wouldn't consider...For a cruise and for airport arrival or departure, 'd rather be on the same side of the Grand Canal as P. Roma...

2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

I don't specifically know the hotel (There are lots of little hotels all over Venice), but I know the location well...

It's not really "on the Grand Canal"...It's on Lista d'Spagna...the street that leads from the train station toward the Ghetto...It's a busy shopping street (my wife bought a pair of shoes in a shop on that street one visit)...We also often walk up Lista d'Spagna looking for restaurants...lots of reasonably priced but generally not charming restaurants.

To get there from the port or from P. Roma (and airport transportation), you'd need to take the peoplemover, then walk a little including over one major bridge to get over the Grand Canal.  It is convenient if you were arriving and departing by train, though...but it's a location i likely wouldn't consider...For a cruise and for airport arrival or departure, 'd rather be on the same side of the Grand Canal as P. Roma...

If you can believe the promotional advertising.... http://hotelprincipe.hotelinvenice.com

It looks lovely, but which hotel in P Roma is more convenient for port arrival and air departure would you recommend?

Hotel Principe

One of the most important Venetian palaces, completely restored Hotel Principe Venice is the heart of luxury. Overlooking the Grand Canal and consists of three different buildings adjacent and offers its clients a breathtaking view of the typical mullioned windows and triple lancet. Very easy to reach from any point of arrival, is reached from the Santa Lucia train station in 2 minutes walk without bridges.

14 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

If you can believe the promotional advertising.... http://hotelprincipe.hotelinvenice.com

It looks lovely, but which hotel in P Roma is more convenient for port arrival and air departure would you recommend?

...Very easy to reach from any point of arrival, is reached from the Santa Lucia train station in 2 minutes walk without bridges.

It may be a very nice little hotel...and, perhaps for the right price it's worth the logistics...It IS, as they stated, very convenient to the train station--without crossing bridges.  But, getting to Venice from the airport or from the cruise port, P. Roma is the simplest location.  To get to the train station from P. Roma, you need to cross the Grand Canal...here's the bridge you'd need to cross, dragging your luggage:

image.jpeg.471f777ac4b011d30178c3404ccaf24c.jpeg

It may be a little hard to tell from the photo, but it's a lot of steps up and a lot of steps down...It had to be high enough for boats to clear under it...Of course, depending on your deal, it MAY be worth it to you...

I guess you could also get on Vaporetto #1 for one stop...which would take you to the other side of the canal and closer to the hotels as well...

Right AT the Piazzale Roma, there are only a few hotels.  Ca Doge is right next door to the peoplemover...so VERY convenient...the AC Marriott is right next to that.  Hotel Olimpia (where I'm staying) and Hotel Arlecchino are steps away--across one very small bridge.  The Hotel Papadopoli--used to be the Sofitel--is a very nice little hotel in a park setting just one small bridge away.  The Carlton and the Capri are two small bridges away...

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

It may be a very nice little hotel...and, perhaps for the right price it's worth the logistics...It IS, as they stated, very convenient to the train station--without crossing bridges.  But, getting to Venice from the airport or from the cruise port, P. Roma is the simplest location.  To get to the train station from P. Roma, you need to cross the Grand Canal...here's the bridge you'd need to cross, dragging your luggage:

image.jpeg.471f777ac4b011d30178c3404ccaf24c.jpeg

It may be a little hard to tell from the photo, but it's a lot of steps up and a lot of steps down...It had to be high enough for boats to clear under it...Of course, depending on your deal, it MAY be worth it to you...

I guess you could also get on Vaporetto #1 for one stop...which would take you to the other side of the canal and closer to the hotels as well...

Right AT the Piazzale Roma, there are only a few hotels.  Ca Doge is right next door to the peoplemover...so VERY convenient...the AC Marriott is right next to that.  Hotel Olimpia (where I'm staying) and Hotel Arlecchino are steps away--across one very small bridge.  The Hotel Papadopoli--used to be the Sofitel--is a very nice little hotel in a park setting just one small bridge away.  The Carlton and the Capri are two small bridges away...

Yikes....can't you take a water taxi to the door after a cab from the airport?

I would like to recommend the Telegraph Suites hotel.  It definitely does not look like much on the outside because the entrance is in an alley.  However, the small amount of rooms are excellent and the staff is fantastic.  The hotel is within walking distance of most attractions ( Trevi Fountain, 5 min.  Pantheon, 15 min.  Forum, 15-20 min.)  They have a roof top tappas bar, but no breakfast.  Our suite came with a full kitchen.  We found a local grocery store and bakery to stock up on breakfast food, drinks, and munchies.  Restaurants surround the hotel.  Le Lanterne around the corner had excellent pizza, including gluten free.  They book up very quickly.

https://www.telegraphsuites.it/

Edited by Lazz

39 minutes ago, oceangoer2 said:

I can think of two ways to avoid the bridge...1)  The single stop on a Vaporetto I mentioned earlier...or 2)  A "Traghetto".  Traghetti are small boats that look like gondolas...but, rather than long romantic (and expensive) rides like the gondolas offer, they merely ferry you across the Grand Canal for a small price.  I believe they are available at San Simeon Piccolo--going across the canal to the train station....of course, loading your luggage into a gondola might be an adventure.  OTOH, think of it as a cheap quick gondola ride...

But, you can't get a boat to the door--as the door is on Lista d'Spagna, not on a canal...

Edited by Bruin Steve

We made all of our pre-cruise travel arrangements on our own. Much easier than I thought. We selected Stefano’s Rome Cabs for our transportation from the airport to the hotel, hotel to Civitavecchia for the cruise, and Civitavecchia back the airport once the cruise was over. HIGHLY recommended!

We selected Starhotel Michelangelo for our stay. It was a wonderful decision. Modern hotel and LARGE room with bedroom and separate living area. Great option for our family of 4. 

The hotel was within a very short walking distance of The Vatican, which was our main focus for our stay in Rome. The hotel

was in a more residential area than tourist area, which turned out to be a plus because we had tons of small restaurants and shops nearby, and we didn’t pay overinflated tourist prices (the cost of dinner at many of these restaurants was cheaper than getting a cup of coffee by the Trevi Fountain). 

True, we were farther away from other attractions in Rome, but when we decided

to visit the Colossseum and the Trevi Fountain, we just hopped in a taxi. Very easy to do. 

AF5ED589-3ED8-42EF-BE1D-259D0FAFB12B.jpeg

3 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Some thoughts on Venice, hotels, convenience and Piazzale Roma...

The hotel you've posted about is really not that convenient, unfortunately. But there are a huge variety of similarly charming hotels in Venice, don't despair.

It would help me to make a recommendation if I knew what you were planning exactly -- will you be arriving by plane, staying in Venice, then departing by ship?  Or the opposite?  Or some other routing?

I am not a big fan of Piazzale Roma. Yes, it has a convenience factor relative to its position near the port and the People Mover, but it's not the only option. And given that it is basically the transportation hub for Venice proper (train station, many buses in and out, many vaporetti stops and hence many people waiting for them...) it is not really that charming.

As you might guess, I research the heck out of hotels.  Last time I was there (in 2018, with my son, for four days), we wanted to be in a good location convenient to the main sights (e.g., between Rialto and San Marco) but also wanted convenience. We eventually settled (with help from a really good offer) on the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo. 

It is charming (a converted Palazzo), part of an Italian chain, and very convenient. Only a few feet from the front door of the hotel are both a vaporetto stop (for getting around Venice) and an Alilaguna stop.  Alilaguna is basically shared water transportation from the airport into Venice, and one of the lines (linea Arancia) stops at the hotel. Very convenient if you are either arriving or departing by plane. No bridges to cross dragging your luggage. Walkable to either Rialto or San Marco. And the vaporetto or Alilaguna also can get you easily to Piazzale Roma to thence get the People Mover to the port. (There is an Alilaguna line that serves the port, but it is not the same line as the one that stops at the hotel.) The hotel also has a wonderful breakfast...

https://www.sinahotels.com/en/h/sina-palazzo-santangelo-venice/

There are other similar options if you take your time and do your research. Don't settle for Piazzale Roma (unless you want to)!

This site is also chock-full of information for Venice, particularly on choosing convenient hotels (including a number of options to consider for convenience of those arriving/departing by cruise ship) and using local transportation:  https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

• Like 1

With all due respect to cruisemom, I guess reasonable minds can differ as to what one should look for in a hotel or in a location.  I am NOT "settling" for Piazzale Roma.  I have stayed in several different locations in both Rome and Venice...and, perhaps, cruisemom and I just have different criteria.

I strongly prefer being near Piazzale Roma--for the convenience, mostly, but also for the economy.  In the end, for me, VALUE is extremely important.  For example, for my July/August 2021 trip, I am taking not one, but two cruises--on the Apex and on the Infinity...and in Concierge class cabins.  I am also spending 16 additional nights in hotels...before, in between and after the cruises...in Barcelona, Rome, Vienna and elsewhere...plus air from LAX and tours and port tours all over...So, if I can save a little money here or there, it is a worthy consideration for me.  OTOH, I will not compromise certain standards.  I look for VALUE--highly rated and well reviewed hotels in good locations--but for reasonable prices.  I will also factor in assorted ancillary costs--like ground transportation.  So, with my choice of hotels in Venice, I am not only getting a very nice and very well reviewed hotel at about two-thirds the nightly rates of the one cruisemom recommends (comparing apples to apples--free cancelation, breakfast included), I also save the cost of the Aligunia or a water taxi...and, having stayed near San Marco before and having had to take a combination of transportation options to get to the port from there, I can affirm that I save a lot in time and hassle as well.  And, the Olimpia, where I choose to stay is not exactly right on the P. Roma physically, it's actually a few steps away on a small canal.  And, once settled into a hotel, getting anywhere in Venice is actually quite easy.

As to Rome, BTW, I also checked out the del Senato that was recommended here.  The nightly rates were TWICE what I am paying for the Navona Theater...and, frankly, I prefer to be near Piazza Navona over the Pantheon.  Piazza Navona is just so much more fun...and, for restaurants, I prefer to head over to the Campo di Fiore--where there are lots of great places with outdoor tables on the Campo with no added cover charge...

Again, what I look for are the best locations AND best value...in highly rated and well reviewed hotels...

BUT, everyone looks for different things.  For many, price is a consideration...for others, it is not...Some people like a great view from their hotel room, others rarely look out the window...Some want ultimate convenience, others don't mind a little extra time or expense to get there...

In Venice, one my prime concerns is schlepping my luggage to and from the hotel.  I've had a water taxi drop me off at a dock only to find I had to drag my luggage across three bridges and up and down several stairs each time.  I'd rather avoid that.

There ARE lot of nice little hotels in Venice...all over town and at all prices.  Everyone will have his or her favorites depending, mostly, on where they've actually stayed...Find one that meets YOUR criteria:  Your price range, your style, what you want to be near and what will work best with where you need to be...Check out reviews on tripadvisor.com and other sites that have hotel reviews (of course, be wary...again, all of these reviews are by people who have different standards, criteria and expectations).  Just as a quick check, BOTH the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo and the Hotel Olimpia score well on tripadvisor.com...of 405 hotels in Venice, the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo ranks #45 and the Olimpia ranks #14. 

Good luck...  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

Just as a quick check, BOTH the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo and the Hotel Olimpia score well on tripadvisor.com...of 405 hotels in Venice, the Sina Palazzo Sant'Angelo ranks #45 and the Olimpia ranks #14. 

Am noy going to comment on the Rome hotel portion.  I have stayed at the Olimpia and can definitely recommend it.  Well located, comfortable and reasonably priced (by my standards).

7 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

There ARE lot of nice little hotels in Venice...all over town and at all prices.  Everyone will have his or her favorites depending, mostly, on where they've actually stayed...Find one that meets YOUR criteria:  Your price range, your style, what you want to be near and what will work best with where you need to be...Check out reviews on tripadvisor.com and other sites that have hotel reviews (of course, be wary...again, all of these reviews are by people who have different standards, criteria and expectations).  

Good luck...  

And that is all I am saying as well. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint to consider in addition to Piazzale Roma. Did not intend to rattle anyone's cage.

We do seem to be opposites in that I can happily park myself in an inside cabin onboard ship, but I do prefer a good hotel and one that is well located near where I plan to sightsee. You are different, and oceangoer 2 is probably not like either of us.  :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are looking for convenience, Hotel Santa Chiara can’t be beat. We had a room overlooking the bridge over the Grand Canal and spent some time watching visitors schlepping their luggage over the bridge. It is steps from the Express Bus from the airport and right across from one of the main stops for the water busses that take you everywhere. I wouldn’t call it quaint, but it is very convenient. 

image.thumb.jpeg.65d512bf5a57558f69074417997f05f8.jpeg

9 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

7 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

Regarding Hotel Principe: I haven't stayed there but it does have a dock right near it.  About 15 years ago I was able to take a water taxi from the airport which docked next to Hotel Principe -- this is why I remember that hotel.  We did pass St. Mark's Square on the way -- I am not sure if that is usual or was done for our group.  We stayed at the Belle Epoque which is just down the street from Principe, a little closer to the train station.  It wasn't a cruise so I cannot recommend methods of travel to the port from the hotel.  At the end of our stay, we walked to P. Roma where we met up with our bus. The organization I was with made arrangements for porters to move our bags so no trouble for us in getting over the bridge.  It's a short walk, but I wouldn't want to do it with a lot of luggage.

Edited by mchell810